Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 23 of 26 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 >
Topic Options
#2077261 - 05/04/13 04:43 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Polyphonist]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: Polyphonist
I just remembered that I never actually posted here. laugh

Too late now. I'll be in the 1000s pretty soon if the opus number thread on Pianist Corner survives. It's addictive. ha

It certainly is. But after almost 1000 posts in two months we still know nothing about you other than 1) you live in NYC, 2) own a Steinway, and 3) like classical music. grin

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2077263 - 05/04/13 04:44 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: carey]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: carey

Too late now. I'll be in the 1000s pretty soon if the opus number thread on Pianist Corner survives. It's addictive. ha

It certainly is. But after almost 1000 posts in two months we still know nothing about you other than 1) you live in NYC, 2) own a Steinway, and 3) like classical music. grin

We know that he loves novelty threads and Chopin. haha

#2077325 - 05/04/13 06:40 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: JoelW]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: JoelW

We know that he loves novelty threads and Chopin. haha

I suppose many meaningful online relationships have been built on less than that ......

However - I prefer to have discussions with real people. grin

#2077667 - 05/05/13 01:49 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
niluh01 Offline

Hello I am a new member, I am originally from Austria and have started to play the piano when I was elven. I have been lurking around on this forum for some time. I especially love the wise quotes, they give me inspiration and encourage me with the piano playing. Because our family has been moving around so much during my childhood, I wasn't able to play very regularly. Two years ago, I joined the orchestra of my university for a one-off performance, however, the concert didn't go very well. I felt I had let down everybody in the orchestra. I stopped playing for a year, but finally got over it. I decided to take a teacher, and I am so glad that I did continue to play. Now I have improved much more and gained my confidence back. smile

My goal is to able to play the piano at a professional standard, and my ultimate wish is to be able to play the Goldberg Variations. My dad loves them and since I was a little kid, I had listen to them. In recent years, I have come to appreciate them much more, and they are part of me already. smile

#2077672 - 05/05/13 01:58 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: JoelW]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
However - I prefer to have discussions with real people. grin

What, do you think I'm a robot or something? ha

Originally Posted By: JoelW
We know that he loves Chopin. haha

And Beethoven, and Rachmaninoff. Those are probably my top 3 ATM. ha

(I didn't know what ATM meant until yesterday, when I looked it up in my new Texting Dictionary of Acronyms. grin)

Polyphonist

#2077674 - 05/05/13 02:01 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: niluh01]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: niluh01
Hello I am a new member, I am originally from Austria and have started to play the piano when I was elven. I have been lurking around on this forum for some time. I especially love the wise quotes, they give me inspiration and encourage me with the piano playing. Because our family has been moving around so much during my childhood, I wasn't able to play very regularly. Two years ago, I joined the orchestra of my university for a one-off performance, however, the concert didn't go very well. I felt I had let down everybody in the orchestra. I stopped playing for a year, but finally got over it. I decided to take a teacher, and I am so glad that I did continue to play. Now I have improved much more and gained my confidence back. smile

My goal is to able to play the piano at a professional standard, and my ultimate wish is to be able to play the Goldberg Variations. My dad loves them and since I was a little kid, I had listen to them. In recent years, I have come to appreciate them much more, and they are part of me already. smile

Welcome to the forums !! Glad you've started playing again and have regained your confidence. Some of us here have had similar experiences - and the best thing to do is learn from them and keep moving forward.

#2077832 - 05/05/13 06:40 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
666th post.

#2078058 - 05/06/13 02:06 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
hujidong Offline

Loc: Hawaii
667th post!!

#2081614 - 05/12/13 10:31 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: hujidong]
Mark VC Offline

I'm a returning amateur pianist, having played from age 7 to 17, and then off and on after that; mostly off. Now I've got nice Yamaha grand. What got me back was a piece by Philip Glass, 'Opening'. It's so simple that, once memorized, you can't forget it, and I would use it to try out the occasional piano encountered along the way. Finally realized that when a piece stays with you for 35 years, it's trying to tell you something. Now I'm finishing up his etudes. I play every day, sometimes for hours.

#2086478 - 05/21/13 10:20 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
ChrisCrumb Offline

Hey! I'm a high-school pianist from Canada currently working on my ARCT. I began to take piano lessons at 8 and was working on my grade ten at 13. However I got bored of classical music at that point and spent a bunch of years just writing really bad techno music and playing rock and pop. A few years ago I decided to get back into it. I did my grade 10 exam in December and I'm taking a couple months' break to learn jazz. Come summer, I will begin serious preparations for my ARCT, which I guess will have to include some history exams which I am not looking forward to.

I love romantic era classical music especially- chopin, some debussy, liszt, schubert, and rachmaninoff and some of his contemporaries. There are only two types of classical music I don't enjoy: atonal (like barber) and Bach (yes, I know... he's very acclaimed and his music is complex and stuff. But I can't stand it. At least, not on the piano.) Right now I'm working on Chopin's Scherzo in B minor, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, and Liszt's 'Un Sospiro.' if you have tips on these, feel free to let me know about those, via PM or whatever else.

I teach piano, and I also play guitar, cello, harmonica, drums, clarinet, djembe, ukelele and voice.

Oh yeah and I'm Canadian.

#2086499 - 05/21/13 11:00 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: ChrisCrumb]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChrisCrumb
However I got bored of classical music and spent a bunch of years just writing really bad techno music and playing rock and pop.

A lot of students go through these phases.

Come summer, I will begin serious preparations for my ARCT...

Are you working with a teacher still?

Hey! I'm a high-school pianist from Canada...

...Oh yeah and I'm Canadian.

wink

You'll grow out of the Bach-hating phase. I went through it too. grin

Polyphonist

#2086501 - 05/21/13 11:03 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: ChrisCrumb]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Hey! I'm a high-school pianist from Canada currently working on my ARCT. I began to take piano lessons at 8 and was working on my grade ten at 13. However I got bored of classical music at that point and spent a bunch of years just writing really bad techno music and playing rock and pop. A few years ago I decided to get back into it. I did my grade 10 exam in December and I'm taking a couple months' break to learn jazz. Come summer, I will begin serious preparations for my ARCT, which I guess will have to include some history exams which I am not looking forward to.

I love romantic era classical music especially- chopin, some debussy, liszt, schubert, and rachmaninoff and some of his contemporaries. There are only two types of classical music I don't enjoy: atonal (like barber) and Bach (yes, I know... he's very acclaimed and his music is complex and stuff. But I can't stand it. At least, not on the piano.) Right now I'm working on Chopin's Scherzo in B minor, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, and Liszt's 'Un Sospiro.' if you have tips on these, feel free to let me know about those, via PM or whatever else.

I teach piano, and I also play guitar, cello, harmonica, drums, clarinet, djembe, ukelele and voice.

Oh yeah and I'm Canadian.

Barber's tonal! Just listen to his Adagio for Strings, or Violin Concerto if you want to hear his rich melodic gift. The piano sonata and concerto are more jarring, but overall are quite tonal. You might like the 4th movement of his piano sonata!

Edited by Kuanpiano (05/21/13 11:03 PM)
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2086503 - 05/21/13 11:07 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: ChrisCrumb]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Do you have enough experience to teach? wink

Guitar, cello, harmonica, drums, clarinet, djembe, ukelele, and voice - quite a list! Maybe you'd be interested in seeing the score for my newly written Double Concerto, for Djembe, Ukelele, and Orchestra? grin

Polyphonist

#2086505 - 05/21/13 11:17 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: ChrisCrumb]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

I love romantic era classical music especially- chopin, some debussy, liszt, schubert, and rachmaninoff...

Did you know that you made 8 capitalization errors in just that little excerpt? grin

I love the works of all those composers as well, or at least most of their output. Are you into people like Mozart or Haydn at all? I imagine you don't enjoy Scarlatti, since you don't like Bach (that will - hopefully - change). How about Beethoven?

Polyphonist

#2093133 - 05/31/13 10:49 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Blue Ranger Offline

Hi pepz!

I only got into classical music two years ago and my piano playing is an astounding grade zero. But that didn't diminish my interest in classical music, especially piano pieces.

Anyway I will be starting a thread in this section hoping to discuss Vladimir Horowitz's varied tone colours. Hope to hear from u guys soon!

Cheers,
Blue Ranger

#2093697 - 06/01/13 11:43 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Blue Ranger]
Polyphonist Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Blue Ranger
But that didn't diminish my interest in classical music, especially piano pieces.

Another person who doesn't call them songs! We're making progress! smile

Polyphonist

#2093705 - 06/02/13 12:28 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Polyphonist]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
BTW, I discovered today that iTunes calls absolutely anything a song. I uploaded some language-study stuff from CD's -- and it called them "songs."

As I've said, we're fighting a losing battle.
If we choose to fight it, which I don't much. smile

#2093773 - 06/02/13 06:09 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Mark_C]
Blue Ranger Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
BTW, I discovered today that iTunes calls absolutely anything a song. I uploaded some language-study stuff from CD's -- and it called them "songs."

As I've said, we're fighting a losing battle.
If we choose to fight it, which I don't much. smile

Lol. A battle? Anyway, just for laughs, I got struck by a philosophical question along the lines of "if a man makes a mistake in a forest without women around, did he still make a mistake?"

So, if Glenn Gould called a "piece" a "song", is there still any mistake?

#2100103 - 06/10/13 05:41 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Poopsie Offline

Hello, everyone. Poopsie is my nickname and I discovered this site and appreciated the questions and tips I got from it. I have been playing the piano for years, and have held recitals when I was a teen-ager. Unfortunately, I pursued a different career. Across the years and therefore never developed my gift to the hilt.

I am now 53 and opted to go back to really intensive practice, and after a few months, I have improved. I like the effects of playing piano on my blood sugar as I am diabetic for many years, and going back to the instrument has indeed have had profound wonders in lowering down my blood sugar and relaxing me (in support of meds of course).

I look forward to interacting with great musicians here and learn from everyone as well as contribute my own two bits worth.

#2105548 - 06/21/13 02:22 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
SmithAlien Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hi fellow pianists!

I am Francis Smith, have been playing piano for at least 29 years (the early 1980s when I was still a young child).

The fact that I can play the piano at all is a miracle, considering I was born with no ears at all (and other craniofacial deformities, due to Treacher Collins syndrome). God gave me the ear for music anyway!

I was classically trained in piano by two wonderful teachers throughout my childhood and adolescence (1984-1993).

The piano I grew up with and learned to play on was my family's 1914 Hobart M. Cable upright grand (made in Elkhart, IN, not too far from my home city of Fort Wayne). Since 2008, it has been on permanent loan to a family friend of ours, since I moved away to London (UK) in 2004 and my mom sold our family home in 2008.

Since I moved to Calgary, Alberta, in 2012, I now own a 1962 Heintzman conservatory model upright, which I had totally professionally refinished and stained in a gorgeous green stain (with an airbrushed painting of my green violin on the front music desk panel). This unique green piano now resides with me in my downtown Calgary high-rise apartment.

I also play the violin; I found a green violin in Hobgoblin Music shop in central London in 2005 and taught myself to play it.

Francis Smith

#2106302 - 06/22/13 03:31 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
laguna_greg Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: guess where in CA and WA
Hi Kreisler,

I just read this thread, so I thought I should tell you who I am before I spread any more gossip!

I have B. Mus and MFA degrees in piano performance from the the University of California, where I was a teaching assistant and Regent's Fellow. I studied with Nina Scolnik during my time there. I was a student and teaching assistant during the 80s and 90s at the Taubman Institute. I studied in Paris for a few years at the Ecole Normale de Musique, and with pianist Noel Lee privately. I gave a number of concerts in France before coming home, a couple at some high-profile venues. My work with the Taubman Institute morphed into a professional consultancy doing research, and working with injured office and industrial workers that I've been doing for 20 years now, as well as general office and industrial ergonomics. You can read more about that at my web site, if you're the least bit interested. There's a link to it in my signature line.

I'm particularly interested in the French School which is why I went to study in France. I play all the Debussy and most of the Ravel output for solo piano. I also accompany and coach singers, and have taught at the university level for a short while before my consulting took off. I give anywhere from 1 to 10 public concerts a year, although it varies a lot. I don't "teach" much anymore, but I still see the occasional injured pianist, and the occasional person who wants me to fix their trill or octaves. I have given a number of lectures about my work to local MTA groups, but I haven't written anything about it yet. That's going to change soon.

I've spent a lot of time on the "piano" forum because I'm an inveterate shopper, and pianos are just plain fun. I'm looking forward to spending time here too.

Thanks!

Edited by laguna_greg (06/23/13 12:45 PM)
Edit Reason: oops!!!

1919 Mason & Hamlin AA
1931 Bechstein C - now sold
http://www.triangleassociates-us.com/about_us (my day job)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Taubman (a recent article I wrote about one of my teachers)

#2106588 - 06/23/13 05:57 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
de cajon Offline

Loc: London, UK
Hi. I've been here on the forum for a couple of weeks. I've been playing piano (and guitars and synths) on and off since I was seven. I'm 61 now.

Our piano was a small Baldwin upright for many years. But we've recently, gulp, changed to a C3XSH Yamaha grand. I decided I wasn't playing enough piano, and with my daughter expressing a wish for a nicer piano, we took the plunge.

At present, I'm mostly re-learning some of my old stuff that had got rusty: some Scott Joplin, some Yann Tiersen, Promenade from Pictures At An Exhibition, Billy Joel's Piano Man and Mozart's Fantasy in D minor coming up. For new stuff I'm practising Boogie Woogie. I'd half-heartedly learned a few left-hands but hadn't really managed to connect the right hand. It's coming along. Connecting right-hand trills to the left-hand is really tough.

#2110364 - 06/29/13 10:26 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Anne H Offline

Loc: New Orleans
I'm new as well, so I just wanted to do a proper introduction. I'm 27 and played piano very seriously in my teens, but gave it up when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia before I went to college. My illness has lessened in the ways that effect piano, so I've restarted as of six months ago or so. It's slow going so far, but I'm so sad it's taken me so long to get back to it.

I'm playing a mixture of easy sight reading type things and then working on some advanced "project pieces" that I hope to slowly bring up to a standard that I'm happy with (basically, the point where I would play one for someone else with some sense of confidence). I'm so excited about the recitals here and can't wait to get to a point where I feel comfortable participating.

I love all of the big dramatic and romantic composers - Ravel, Rachmanioff, etc. I'm a small handed player, so sometimes I really wish my personal tastes were different!

#2110368 - 06/29/13 10:28 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Hello! I see in your signature that you are playing Ravel's Pavane pour une infante défunte. I played it this past school year! A great piece. smile Welcome to PW, and I'm happy to hear that you are able to play again. Stay well. smile

#2111133 - 07/01/13 11:31 AM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
TimV Offline

Loc: New York, NY
Hello All --

I'm a new member here. Actually, I apparently joined back in 2007 and then forgot about it. I must have been browsing for pianos online back then, and signed up. Anyway, here I am now.

I studied piano from the age of about 7, through completion of a B.M. However since then I haven't really had regular access to a piano. My playing has suffered accordingly. Recently, only three weeks ago in fact, I finally decided to be a grown up and buy a real piano (Kawai GE-30). I'm in my mid-40s at this point, and I have a long road ahead of me before I get to a point where I think I'm "good" again. But, you know, Gradus Ad Parnassum. I'll get there.
Bach WTC 1 #7
Brahms Op 76 #1, Op 118 #5
Debussy Suite Bergamasque

#2111227 - 07/01/13 02:15 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Welcome (back) to Piano World, TimV! Thanks for sharing your introduction with us. It's wonderful that you still want to continue playing and improving. Keep up the hard work and you'll get there. If you don't have one already and can afford it, a good teacher would also be great.

But either way, we are glad to have you here. smile

#2115414 - 07/09/13 11:15 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: SmithAlien]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Originally Posted By: SmithAlien
Hi fellow pianists!

I am Francis Smith, have been playing piano for at least 29 years (the early 1980s when I was still a young child).

The fact that I can play the piano at all is a miracle, considering I was born with no ears at all (and other craniofacial deformities, due to Treacher Collins syndrome). God gave me the ear for music anyway!

Welcome to PW, Francis!

I was intrigued by the fact you were born with no ears but can play and enjoy the piano. How do you hear the music?

#2115420 - 07/09/13 11:24 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: jazzyprof]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Francis: Bravo to you! thumb

Jazzy: Thank you for highlighting the post. Most of us seem not to look at this thread very often (maybe we ought to do something about that!) and so it's easy to miss posts of new members.

Originally Posted By: jazzyprof
....I was intrigued by the fact you were born with no ears but can play and enjoy the piano. How do you hear the music?

I'll be interested to see what Francis might say, but I can tell you.....while we tend to think that we hear with our ears -- meaning the outer ears -- hearing doesn't depend on them, and I've heard it said that their role is less than we might think.

#2116296 - 07/11/13 07:25 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
To Francis: thumb thumb thumb

Music is my best friend.

#2121936 - 07/23/13 01:39 PM Re: New Visitors and Lurkers Please Read... [Re: Kreisler]
Burroughs Offline

Hi, I am new here.

I enjoy almost all piano music. My favourite composer is Schumann and I am currently learning his piano concerto.
I joined this forum after spending a while at talkclassical.

Not much else to say really...

― Sergei Rachmaninoff

Page 23 of 26 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai MP7: Damper controller - bug or feature?
by Banshee
10/20/14 05:37 PM
MX100A Disklavier Field Service Manual-Wanted
by Shacky
10/20/14 05:12 PM
To bid.....or not to bid
by Bob
10/20/14 04:10 PM
Kawai ES100 splitting point
by tower120
10/20/14 03:54 PM
Is it really necessary to practice scales?
by rov
10/20/14 02:42 PM
Who's Online
152 registered (accordeur, anamnesis, alfredo capurso, ajames, 35 invisible), 1832 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76599 Members
42 Forums
158386 Topics
2325773 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission