2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#546416 02/25/09 03:09 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi, I am playing this one. It looks very easy, and I just want to learn it since I am restarting and need to add some pieces that I can play easily.

I have a few questions, however. First is about the speed. What does this symbol mean, and why does it have 2 numbers?

[Linked Image]

Dave
#546417 02/25/09 03:11 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Another question is, how can I play the circled notes? There is no fingering suggestion. Do I play the lower 2 notes with my thumb?

[Linked Image]

Same question for this similar thing near the end.

[Linked Image]

Thanks in advance!

Dave
#546418 02/25/09 03:31 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I have no clue why there is a "72" in that tempo marking (editor suggestion?). Mine has quarter note = 100 only. That just means that the suggested tempo is 100 bpm, quarter note getting one beat.

As to those big figurations you point out, yes you do play the two lowest notes with your thumb. wink

And finally, while Träumerei may not seem all that difficult technically, be prepared to face some tough interpretive difficulties. It can be a bear to play consistently well; you have to stay focused.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
#546419 02/25/09 03:37 PM
A
A
In the first example, I suppose you could also use your left hand to play G, if you cannot reach more than an octave.

In the second case, probably have to do a "sweep" from your left hand and you can decide how you like to distribute the notes between your hands.

Playing these notes with the thumb is probably the usual approach.

#546420 02/25/09 03:41 PM
W
W
Originally posted by Horowitzian:

And finally, while Träumerei may not seem all that difficult technically, be prepared to face some tough interpretive difficulties. It can be a bear to play consistently well; you have to stay focused.
Very true. A big +1 from me. thumb

A concert should be a profound and magical experience for both
the performer and audience. It is in performance that
you experience the true essence of a composer.

~W. Clark
#546421 02/25/09 03:52 PM
G
G
I love this piece but as others have already said whilst it appears easy (it was listed as a grade 7 piece for ABRSM last season I believe) it is certainly hard to play well and with feeling. Well worth the effort however as it is just beautiful thumb

Sauter Masterclass 130
----------------------
Currently working on:
Bach: French Suite no. 4
Beethoven: Op 10 no 1
Schubert: Op 90 no 3
Debussy: La Cathedrale Engloutie, Golliwog's Cakewalk, 'Clear the Room'
Balakirev / Glinka: The Lark
#546422 02/25/09 04:00 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Its one of my favorite piano pieces...worth whatever effort needed to learn and play it!

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
#546423 02/25/09 09:19 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by DaveInMichigan:
What does this symbol mean, and why does it have 2 numbers?
My guess is that the one in parentheses is Clara's tempo marking. Anywhere in between those two tempi is probably fine though. It's not set in stone. smile

Bach - WTC I in C major & C minor (BWV 846-847)
Mozart - Sonata K 282
Chopin - Polonaises Op 26
Schumann - Fantasiestücke Op 12
#546424 02/25/09 09:41 PM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Dave,

I agree with everyone who has pointed out the technical challenge here is belied by serious musical and interpretive difficulty. But don't let that deter you! It's an exquisite piece, and playing it well is a worthy goal.

As to fingering, your question about the large chords has already been answered correctly. It's worth mentioning that careful and conscious thought should be given to fingering overall; there's a plethora of held or tied notes, and every effort should be made to play them as written rather than relying on pedal.

I haven't seen the particular edition you're using, but the M.M. indication certainly indicates that there's latitude in the tempo one chooses and perhaps is meant to acknowledge a significant disagreement among editors. There are discrepancies in the verbal indication as well as the metronome marking:

Lento, con gran espressione (♩ = 56) (ed. Vogrich)
Adagio espressivo (♩ = 56) (ed. Bauer)
Andante (♩ = 66) (ed. Frey)
Moderato (♩ = 100) (ed. unspecified)
Tranquillo (♩ = 100) (ed. Godowsky)

In this old publication by Breitkopf & Härtel, someone has taken the liberty of adding a flag by hand to the original M.M. marking so that ♩ = 100 now reads ♪ = 100 instead!

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/f/fe/IMSLP03060-Schumann-Op015Brt6016.pdf

The Clara Schumann edition at IMSLP has neither verbal tempo indication nor M.M. marking:

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/2/28/IMSLP00720-Schumann_-_Kinderscenen__Op_15.pdf

BTW, I'd like to repeat a question I asked once before: Has anyone else ever heard of pairing this piece with the Kleine Romanze from Album for the Young (Op. 68 No. 19)? I have three editions that do so (treating the Romanze as a trio or "B" section followed by a reprise of Träumerei), but I've never found corroboration that it was ever a popular performance practice in recitals.

Steven

#546425 02/25/09 11:02 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally posted by William Clark:
Originally posted by Horowitzian:
[b]
Very true. A big +1 from me. thumb [/b]
+2

(I don't care if I am wrong.)

#546426 02/26/09 12:13 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Thank you for all your responses!

Dave
#546427 02/26/09 03:48 AM
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Dave puts an intriguing finger on Traumerei interpretations.

To put the 15-7 into broader context I’ve taken the liberty of adding the IMSLP copy.

rstraumerei from IMSLP

Dave’s circles:

1. The mm tempo (Andante 100) ... IMHO not too quick ... but dreamily.

2. Measure 6 : You will notice a bracketing of the RH bottom two notes (G &A) which would suggest both being playing with the thumb ... an
octave + stretch (tough on small hands ) ... but full of spice.

3. Measure 30 (including the m1-8 repeat) : Same "thumb" bracket, but in this case the spread of notes far exceeds the widest of hand spreads (F-A and G-B) ... and therefore needs to be arpeggiated in both hands ... quite tricky to avoid sounding laboured ... but the ritardando marking should give the clue of a little more time to ensure good closing flow.

#546428 02/26/09 09:38 AM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by btb:
3. Measure 30 (including the m1-8 repeat) : Same "thumb" bracket, but in this case the spread of notes far exceeds the widest of hand spreads (F-A and G-B) ... and therefore needs to be arpeggiated in both hands ... quite tricky to avoid sounding laboured ... but the ritardando marking should give the clue of a little more time to ensure good closing flow.
Regarding that chord with the fermata in the third measure from the end, I believe that a span of a tenth on white keys is reachable by most pianists. For the majority capable of playing it as written, the chord need not be—and should not be—arpeggiated.

Steven

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sotto voce
Originally posted by btb:
Regarding that chord with the fermata in the third measure from the end, I believe that a span of a tenth on white keys is reachable by most pianists. For the majority capable of playing it as written, the chord need not be—and should not be—arpeggiated.

Steven

It is even easier since you don't actually have to reach a full tenth; you are using your thumb on two keys, so that effectively reduces the width of the stretch. smile

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by sotto voce
At the time I wrote this, I didn't notice that many editions do indicate arpeggiation here. (I guess editors are no more consistent about this than about the "correct" tempo!)

Still, I much prefer that the chord not be arpeggiated. IMHO it's rendered perfectly by a delicately pointed accent and slightly prolonged duration without extra embellishment.

Steven

D
OP Offline
D
As simple as this one, I don't know how to finger it (the circled notes).

[Linked Image]

I believe I am supposed to hold the two C's because there is no pedal indicated. Going from B-flat to G, if I tried the simple 2-3-4 fingering, I cannot stretch my hand like that.

Should I slide finger 2 from B-flat to A? Then that is more doable.

Or can I use pedal? Then I don't have to hold the two C's.

My final question is more general: do we basically have the liberty of doing it/things anyway we want just to make it sound right?

Dave
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I believe I hold the C's with 1-5 and use 2-3-4 for the Bb, A, and G respectively. Let me go play it and see...[edit] I slide 2 from the Bb to the A. Go for it!

If you cannot reach that, you'll need to use the pedal skillfully. Sliding might does work, too. Experiment some and see what fits your hand best.

And yes, in some ways, I believe the ends justify the means. After all, if you cannot reach a particular chord, the usual practice is to invert it. Just try to preserve the original sound as much as possible. smile

Last edited by Horowitzian; 03/07/09 08:33 PM.

D
OP Offline
D
Hi, I have a couple of new questions regard grace notes:

1. I read that grace notes are to be played on the beat. So for the notes shown (A), is it correct that the low B-flat should be played on the 3rd beat (rather than the F and D)? There are 3 places like this.
[Linked Image]

2. On the section below (B), the grace note is put [before] the bar, should I still play the grace note on the first beat of the next measure?
[Linked Image]

TIA!

Dave
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I am just working on pieces from 'Kinderszenen' and 'Waldszenen' so I am familiar with some of the awkward Schumann finger acrobatics.

The first discussed chord in 'Träumerei' I would absolutely take as written, using thumb and second in RH, while holding the melody F with 5th. It is essential to keep the LH chord sounding, even if you would shift the pedal a little earlier

In the next to last bar: On the second beat in left hand I use 5-2-1 and slide with 2nd finger from B-flat to A, then using 3rd for the G. No problem at all! You can then connect the chord on the third beat really legato while you keep the thumb on C.

I find the 'Träumerei' very easy to play, not only because of the slow tempo allowing occasional finger shift on one note. I have not seen any need for redistribution in this piece.

I have, however, found it necessary - for the sake of comfort or becasue of the vivid tempo - to redistribute notes in: 'Haschemann', 'Jäger auf der Lauer', 'Vogel als Prophet', 'Abschied'.

But that is a different story. If anybody meets with problems, may be I can help.

"Le tout c'est de savoir bien doigter" (Chopin)

Last edited by Jan-Erik; 03/16/09 05:55 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This piece is really elegant and beautiful. I went over and tried it after reading the thread. very moving. My little edition is in a classical collection that has also Traumerei "Secondo" and "Primo" little pieces too. What is the story there?

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission