2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Monica K.

So I dunno. The bottom line is that, if your daughter stays with piano and continues to display the promise that she has to date, I don't think *either* of these pianos would serve as a long-term instrument for her. I think I would personally go for the less expensive upright now, with the idea of saving up and buying a higher quality grand a few years down the road should she continue in her piano studies.

But I'm me and not y'all, and there are other issues involved. It was, after all, your parents' idea to buy the grand instead... and they are being quite generous to contribute toward the purchase price. There is benefit in making them happy, too, so you would need to ask yourself (and them?) just how strongly they preferred the grand over the upright. But you would also end up paying more than you had initially planned, which is a separate issue: How comfortable do you feel, financially, with the greater investment required should you go for the grand?

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

Very good reply, which makes this decision harder for me,lol. You are absoultely right, even though the bill is split 4 ways, it still is easier financially to get the cheaper one.

**How do you do mulitple quotes here? I cannot figure it.**

J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by John Mila
J&J,
Marty was referring to something different.
In So. Cal. When a piano is purchased from Keyboard Concepts, The piano gets prepped before delivery. This includes unboxing the piano, lubricating all of the friction points of the piano, (center and front rail pins), tapping the strings at the bridge, tightening all of the plate screws. Checking the rest of the regulation and voicing of the piano. Than Tune it. This stabilizes the piano and a month later we come and tune it again. This is about a $300. service.
Costco deals are delivered in the box, and tuned 1 month after.

(Thanks for the opportunity for shameless plug.)

Both pianos I am considering are already assembled, this I am sure of 100%. In fact, they would be the same ones displayed at the Costco. So I'm quite sure they were all put together properly by the piano dealer and not Costco employees.

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks Mike!

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks JF for the research you did! The only drawback from me buying used is that I have no idea what condition the piano truly is in. Grant it, most of the seller are pretty honest I'm sure. But I don't want to run the risk in buying one that will only bring me problems. I will check on those other Grands in my area just to see.

I know the baby grand is only 4' 11". But isn't it still considered a grand? If I were to get the 5 footer, people would tell me to get the bigger one and so on. I know that a very good (and expensive) upright will probably sound better than the baby, but personally, I'd rather still have a grand.

Boy, is this more difficult than ever. Everyone has such good opinions and ideas that it is actually making piano shopping even harder. I'm still pretty adement about going through Costco though for the 100% Guarantee. Even if I find a great deal somewhere else, I would ony have the manufactuer warranty if any. And if I go used....it's a gamble. For all those who do not believe me about Costcos 100% refund anytime, please call their 1800# and verify for yourself. You will be surprised.

**Can anyone please tell me how to multi-quote? Already checked the FAQ section**

Last edited by jason&jenny; 03/16/09 05:21 PM.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Going used is not a gamble if you spend an extra $100.00 or so to have a qualified piano technician inspect the piano for you. He/she will tell you all you need to know to determine the quality and expected lifespan of the instrument in question. It is well worth the investment and, as JF has said, you can get a MUCH better instrument than you are considering now for a lot less money.

Piano Technician/Tuner
J
JF Offline
J
J&J,

Costco is great. I will only shop there and Target. The 100% return policy is legendary. I would feel comfortable buying a piano from them if one of my big concerns was the ability to return it.

The 4'11" is still considered a grand. It will not sound as good as a 5'6" or larger piano, but it will sound better than the upright, unless something is wrong.

As for buying a used piano, I have no problem with it.

Reasons: 1. I use an Registered Piano Technician (RPT), or a highly-recommended piano technician to check out any piano I am interested in. They are very good judges of what is right and wrong with a piano, and I have never gotten a bum steer from one. Everyone in the know on this site will recommend the same, and believes it. 2. Pianos are generally durable instruments, and are built to last 50 or more years. Some are better than others; Kawais and Yamahas have a 50 year musical life, maybe more. 3. If you find a well-made used piano of size 5'6" or bigger, and spend $1,500 in having it tuned, serviced, cleaned, and fully regulated, you have a far better instrument, musically speaking, than the new 4'11" at a significant savings to you.

And by the way, the $1500 is a very high estimate, more than double what I am about to pay for all service except the regulation, and I am going to have all the dampers on the piano tightened and corrected. Any technician you hire should give you an estimate as to how much $$ to fix any problems found with the piano; that way, you will know how much the piano will cost you before you buy.

Ultimately, $8,300 is a fortune to spend on a 4'11" grand in this economic environment, in which piano deals can be had all over the country, both new and used.

The closest RPT to you is in Chaparral, NM.

SCHAIBLE, MARVIN RPT

Address: CHAPARRAL, NM 88081 USA
Chapter: El Paso, TX
Phone: 915-474-3964
Email: marvina440@juno.com

There may be other, highly-regarded, non-RPT technicians in El Paso; you might want to ask around.

JF

Last edited by JF; 03/16/09 05:48 PM.

Kimball 6'7" Viennese Classic
Adult re-learning after 20-years
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CC2 and Chopin lover
Second, the upright you are considering is 44 inches in height, so the folks here who are saying that a good upright can potentially be better than a really small grand are not specifically referring to THIS upright. This would hold true for a high quality upright of 52 inches in height.

At home I have my 1956 45" Baldwin Hamilton upright sitting next to my mom's 1998 4'11" Young Chang PG-150 grand. To my ear, the upright sounds noticeably better than the grand, including in the low bass.

1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by CC2 and Chopin lover
Going used is not a gamble if you spend an extra $100.00 or so to have a qualified piano technician inspect the piano for you. He/she will tell you all you need to know to determine the quality and expected lifespan of the instrument in question. It is well worth the investment and, as JF has said, you can get a MUCH better instrument than you are considering now for a lot less money.

I didn't realize you also were a tuner/tech. That really is good advice. It would be very wise to pay the fee to have an older piano inspected prior to buying one. That brings me to one more question/choice.
The store (Washburn pianos) here in town does also have about 7 pianos given back to them on a trade in from the local University (UTEP). They are Mason & Hamlin uprights 52" age ranging from 1979-1983. Cosmetically, they have wear due to the number of students they went through but they do sound good. The bass is deep and they look well built. What are the chances, if I get an tuner/tech to look at them, to really get a good one without much mechanical issues? It probably depends on the particular piano but wont they eventually need alot of work? Buying new, I'll be getting a piano with zero miles and wont need more than a good tune for years,right or wrong?
I will call the tech you found in my area to go look at these Mason & Hamlins to see if he prefers a particular one from the bunch. As for the price, any of them regardless of condition are $1,500 each. I'll have to go to the store tomorrow to get some serial numbers and better info on the models. I'll let you know.

J
JF Offline
J
J&J,

I love M&H pianos; I almost bought a new 50" M&H upright myself. The 70's and 80's M&H's were made by a company named Aeolian, and while not the very top of the line at that time, they were very good pianos. I have played a couple of M&H 50's of this vintage and liked them just fine.

At $1,500 (or maybe less with some negotiating) it seems like they could be a good buy if they are not worn out.

Institutional pianos do get worn out, so it could be that those pianos are pretty well played out. The RPT I found on ptg.org should be able to tell you the condition of these, and may look at all 7 pianos for a small fee. There may be one that still have some good life in it!

I think it's definitely something to look into.

JF

Interesting thread...I'm not sure if I agree with those who posit that getting a baby grand over an upright is unwise. I find the feel to be much better and expressive on a grand piano. I have played the Cable Nelson and it stands out to me as better than the usual grand in that price range. I like a consistent feel, though, so I'm just speaking for myself.

Choleric
Yamaha CVP307 digital piano
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
RE
"The store (Washburn pianos) here in town does also have about 7 pianos given back to them on a trade in from the local University (UTEP). They are Mason & Hamlin uprights 52" age ranging from 1979-1983. Cosmetically, they have wear due to the number of students they went through but they do sound good."

Not just cosmetically...., but these have gotta be just about worn out inside too!

A privately owned one would more than likely have a LOT LESS wear than a 25-30 yr old institutional piano.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JF
J&J,

Costco is great. I will only shop there and Target. The 100% return policy is legendary. I would feel comfortable buying a piano from them if one of my big concerns was the ability to return it.

I don't know anything about Costco because they don't they have stores in Namhattan. Are you saying you can return anything for a full refund at any time for any reason(valid or not)? Can't people just in effect rent pianos, vacuum cleaners, furniture or whatever else they sell for free if this is the case?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Interesting thread...

After all is said and done....

Costco is extraordinary - and you may very well have some added protections as a result.

OTH, I agree that most everyone would say that a 5'3 inch piano is about as short as you should go.

With the market being what it is, there will be piano from people and dealers making "great deals" over the next few months.

J
OP Offline
J
***UPDATE**
Well, in case anyone is wondering, we decided to wait and keep searching. We are in no hurry and do not want to make an unwise choice and regret it later. I think it was way too early to jump on the 1st deal that sounded good, especially when making a big investment. We are in no rush at this moment and feel the right piano and deal will eventually come our way. I will continue to look around and let you guys know what happens. Thanks for all the advice given from each and everyone one of you!

Last edited by jason&jenny; 03/20/09 05:18 PM.
J
JF Offline
J
Smart move.

Best of luck to you, and please, let us know how your search progresses. Everyone here loves a good piano search story.

JF
_________

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission