Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1164024 - 03/17/09 11:20 AM Buying a piano, but have some questions
AlexW7 Offline

Loc: Midwest
I played a 1929 Mendelssohn baby grand for ten years, but that piano is in no way available to me anymore. I got an electric keyboard as a gift one year to try to somehow fill the void, but it just doesn't have the same soul. I am not a wonderful piano player, but the more I don't play, the more and more I miss it. So I have 5,000 saved up, and looking around on the internet, I have completely fallen in love with the old Victorian style grands and baby grands, which are not abundant in the midwest. The ones that are here, are far beyond my budget. I have never spent this much money on anything before, so I have a couple of questions about some apprehensions that I have.

I'm interested in the Victorian European styles, many of which have manufacturers that are hard to find information about. Does anyone know of a good resource to find information about Josef Koppl or Thomas Draxler piano makers, or for that matter, any old or foreign piano makers?

How does one know for sure the quality of pianos these piano makers pumped out? And if a piano has been rebuilt, does the quality of the original piano maker still make a difference?

Would it be plausible to get an old piano in decent shape (I understand that many old pianos are far from perfect without expensive rebuilding) and play it until I have enough saved up for possible larger future repairs?

The pianos I love the most have a tendency to show up in California, would it be foolish to find a piano technician near the piano and have him inspect it and send me a video of the inspection processes and the piano being played? Or would that be considered rude? Or do I need to wait until summer when my schedule is more flexible and make the trip out, which would cost me roughly 1,000 for a flight for two people?

Would it be wiser to ship or move a piano cross-country? I've poked around a bit and found that shipping would be considerably cheaper, and possibly safer for the piano. So my other question is this: if the latter is correct, then why are there cross country piano movers?

I am currently looking at these two:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/1068552720.html
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/1070664241.html

Thank you for your time and expertise!

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1164032 - 03/17/09 11:48 AM Re: Buying a piano, but have some questions [Re: AlexW7]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Both of those pianos are Viennese action pianos, which show up all the time. You should be able to buy one locally, although they are mostly for antique collectors, not pianists.

They have their own problems. You may not be able to find anyone who can restore them, and it will be expensive to do. The result is likely to be a piano that plays and sounds poorly, and will be difficult and expensive to maintain. The market for them is minimal at best, so you will not be able to get back whatever money you spend on them.

#1164041 - 03/17/09 12:11 PM Re: Buying a piano, but have some questions [Re: BDB]
CC2 and Chopin lover Offline
1000 Post Club Member

BDB is absolutely correct. Buying a piano like these two is fine if you are looking for pretty furniture, but they are certainly bound to be a headache to maintain or improve. For the amount you are looking to spend, there are better choices that will serve you well from a musical perspective.

Something like this, for instance, for your price:

http://www.rickjonespianos.com/uprightimages/slideshow%20pics/Kawai%20HAT-20%201994.swf

#1164045 - 03/17/09 12:19 PM Re: Buying a piano, but have some questions [Re: CC2 and Chopin lover]
AlexW7 Offline

Well, I don't know id I'd ever feel complete with an upright... I'd probably go for a not-as-pretty used grand before I'd go upright. Are there other makers with that style, but without the Viennese action? Is it an issue to get the action completely replaced with the more modern action 10 yrs down the line if it still works moderately well?

#1164048 - 03/17/09 12:26 PM Re: Buying a piano, but have some questions [Re: AlexW7]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Ask these questions when you have a lot more money to spend. In your price range, your best bet is a slightly used, good quality small Asian grand, something made since 2000.

When you have a bigger budget, then you can specify the style of the piano.

#1164077 - 03/17/09 01:06 PM Re: Buying a piano, but have some questions [Re: BDB]
AlexW7 Offline

Thanks for the advice!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What do you think about the Fatar TP40 keybed?
by 3mb3r4
Today at 03:22 AM
Essex EGP 155 or Yamaha Gc1
by pianomom301
Today at 02:14 AM
More Bach (Ich Ruf Zu Dir)
by johnlewisgrant
Today at 12:12 AM
Incredibly short fugue
by Pencil_skirts_and_
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
The piano made it home in time...
by Rich Galassini
Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Who's Online
77 registered (36251, ahrensjt, ando, Alux, barbaram, 22 invisible), 905 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76201 Members
42 Forums
157526 Topics
2313893 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission