Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1164744 - 03/18/09 04:50 PM Recording the Piano
SJFAN Offline

Loc: france
Hello

little questions if you don t mind

IF it s piano only >> Where should be the mike ? do you think that the sound engineer should add a little reverb ? Do you think that the final music should be mono or stereo ?

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1164755 - 03/18/09 05:12 PM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: SJFAN]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I'd recommend a Google search using the string - recording the acoustic piano -. Sound on Sound has an excellent article that is one of the first informational sites on the list.
-----

#1164760 - 03/18/09 05:23 PM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: David Jenson]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
PTG Associate

#1164767 - 03/18/09 05:34 PM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: Les Koltvedt]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
You can also search Gearslutz.com for opinions.

My own Grotrian sounds best from the player's vantage point, so I record with stereo mikes just behind and above my student's when they perform. Also, it's an ORTF splay, so check that out.

John

#1165186 - 03/19/09 09:55 AM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: John v.d.Brook]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Hi, SJFAN. How is piano is recorded is often a direct function of the genre and indirectly, a function of the desired perspective.

Classical commercial piano recordings are often recorded from a more distant perspective mainly because that's how classical concert audiences are used to hearing live performances. And anything over about an 18-inch recording distance requires omni (non-directional) mics in order to obtain a flat-spectrum natural-sounding recording. Typical arrangements involve an omni-pair spaced about 8 inches apart at a distance of 5 to 15 feet from the piano. Since this setup picks up substantial room ambiance, you need a good sounding space and external reverb would be undesirable. I should also mention that non-commercial classical recordings, often made by or for the benefit of the performer, sometimes use a closer perspective... more like what the performer might hear while playing from their seat at the piano bench. Which might also account for why classical labels often don't ask the performer what they think about their recording setups. My favorite close perspective studio omni setup uses Earthworks QTC40's located about 20-inches directly above the strings with the piano lid removed... with this type of setup, an external sampled-space reverb can be simulate a more distant perspective if desired.

Pop and Jazz recordings tend to go for a closer more intimate perspective. Partly because performances are usually amplified and often also involve vocals or other instruments. And venues are usually more intimate. These usually employ directional mics positioned anywhere from 8 to 20 inches from the strings, usually in point-source (X-Y) configuration. The closer you get to the strings, the more room ambiance falls off. Its inversely proportional to the square of the distance. So move a mic from 16-inches from the strings to 8-inches, and the room will fall off by a factor of 4. Given the relative lack of room ambiance, a little reverb might be needed to get a natural sound. This is the preferred recording method for spaces that aren't particularly good sounding or where there might be excessive environmental noise. I should also mention that omnis, being imune from proximity effects, are also often used at distances less than 8 inches from the strings where extreme intimacy is desired. The law of inverse squares quelches room but it works best for soft sensitive playing with limited dynamics unless you use omnis with wide-excursion suspensions to avoid physical overloads on loud passages. My favorite low cost, high quality X-Y setup is with a Audio Technica AT825 or AT822 stereo mic at a distance of about 14-inches above middle C about 8 inches south of the dampers with the left element angled a bit towards the tail of the piano to avoid excessive damper noise.

Howard

#1165506 - 03/19/09 07:42 PM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: hv]
88Key_PianoPlayer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: El Cajon, CA
When you're using distant mikes, how do you get full stereo on the piano, for example with A0 panned 60° left, C8 panned 60° right (or whatever would be the perspective of either A - the pianist, or B - someone standing in the middle of the curve of the Rubenstein R-371 with their head in the piano, which I have done, and it's a VERY wide stereo), and everything else in between distributed evenly?
1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.

#1166155 - 03/20/09 11:01 PM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: 88Key_PianoPlayer]
7000 Post Club Member

#1167259 - 03/23/09 11:57 AM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: hv]
Phillip S. Offline

Loc: Washago, Ontario
Hi Howard,

Do you have any recommendations for a somewhat higher-priced mic set-up?

I am looking at a pair of AKG 414's, and also an Oktava MK-012-01 stereo-pair.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, a bit off topic, you mention "excessive damper noise". I'm getting a lot of string sound as the key is released and the dampers return -- the dampers make the strings sound. Someone said this is probably hardened dampers. Does that sound right?

Thanks,

Phillip

Edited by Phillip S. (03/23/09 12:00 PM)

#1167400 - 03/23/09 04:24 PM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: Phillip S.]
7000 Post Club Member

Phillip, I use a matched stereo pair of the 414's for recording my students. Works fine. I've also used AKGs 480b with omni capsules off the tail of the piano, and also had good results.

There is a huge danger with ultra close miking - one which is not recognized by a lot of the so-called pros. Sound pressure falls off with the cube of the distance, so when you are miking close, you are unwillingly emphasizing certain frequencies and de-emphasizing other frequencies. Critical ears can here it plainly in most pop/jazz recordings. I'd strongly urge you to try for a blended sound.

John

#1167820 - 03/24/09 09:50 AM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Phillip S. Offline

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
Phillip, I use a matched stereo pair of the 414's for recording my students. Works fine. I've also used AKGs 480b with omni capsules off the tail of the piano, and also had good results.

There is a huge danger with ultra close miking - one which is not recognized by a lot of the so-called pros. Sound pressure falls off with the cube of the distance, so when you are miking close, you are unwillingly emphasizing certain frequencies and de-emphasizing other frequencies. Critical ears can here it plainly in most pop/jazz recordings. I'd strongly urge you to try for a blended sound.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for that info and advice. Where do you position the AKG 414's? Also, what are you recording into, i.e., preamp, mixer, recorder?

Phillip

#1168133 - 03/24/09 06:08 PM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: Phillip S.]
7000 Post Club Member

Well, to answer the position question, "It depends." When I'm recording in recital, placing the mikes behind the student would pick up a lop-sided audience sound, so I generally place the mikes several feet in front of the instrument. By the way, they 414's are on a stereo bar, and spaced the normal ORTF distance, but I often use wide cardioid, rather than true cardioid, to get a more even sound.

I have three preamps in different rakes - a True Audio 2 channel, which is VERY GOOD!, A 4 ch Sytek, which is actually quite good also, and a 4 ch Benchmark Pre420. I record student groups, such as choirs and orchestras, and having a 4 ch with built in mixer makes the job rather easy.

In the studio, my lessons are recorded directly to DVD, and the AKG 414s serve as the primary pickup. They are located about 8 feet behind us, as I have two pianos side by side. This way, we get a balanced sound from both instruments, and the student can hear me talking as well.

Hope this helps.

John

#1168719 - 03/25/09 04:37 PM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: Phillip S.]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Phillip S.
Do you have any recommendations for a somewhat higher-priced mic set-up?

I am looking at a pair of AKG 414's, and also an Oktava MK-012-01 stereo-pair.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, a bit off topic, you mention "excessive damper noise". I'm getting a lot of string sound as the key is released and the dampers return -- the dampers make the strings sound. Someone said this is probably hardened dampers. Does that sound right?

Hi, Phillip. For directional stereo, I used an Audio Technica AT825 successfully for years. Very natural sounding. A Rode NT4 is similar in concept, slightly darker, a little more expensive, and a little bit quieter. I took a big step up a few years ago with a DPA 3521 stereo kit and I love it. Sheopps makes a model with a similar rep called the CMXY but I've never been able to lay my hands on one of those.

Howard

#1168731 - 03/25/09 04:55 PM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: hv]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi, John. Use a True Systems P2 myself and its my goto solid state unit, especially with a U87 in an ms array. But I just took a different direction for down and dirty multi-channel. Been using a Sound Devices 744T for a few years which has a squeaky clean stereo mic pre that I like so much I just took the plunge for its 8 mic-pre big brother. Gonna try it out next weekend with a piano, vocalist, and 4 brass players.

Howard

#1168836 - 03/25/09 08:41 PM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Phillip S. Offline

Thank you both, John and Howard, for your help.

Phillip

#1168887 - 03/25/09 10:46 PM Re: Recording the Piano [Re: hv]
7000 Post Club Member

Yes, I thought about that 8 channel unit, but decided the income I generate burning CDs wouldn't quite justify such a luvly recorder!

I've also wanted the Schoeps. And at one point, I almost ordered the Gefell m930s.

John

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (36251, acortot, Aibohphobia, 45 invisible), 1897 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75479 Members
42 Forums
156064 Topics
2291686 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Please Help!!
by OliviaWalter
25 minutes 26 seconds ago
Performing Chopin's preludes
by JoelW
33 minutes 47 seconds ago
Stephen Hough - Advice for talented piano students
by fnork
Today at 12:58 PM
Getting started with MIDI: One question.
by 90SITA
Today at 12:46 PM
Remembering what to play
by kipale
Today at 11:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission