Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1165013 - 03/18/09 11:41 PM Piano Shock Absorbers?
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Tonight I did a tuning on a Steinway "M" that I've been tuning for the last several years. The piano is in good condition (including the pinblock). Yet, every time I tune it, I have to raise it about 20 cents to get it back to A=440. (It falls uniformly flat.) Fortunately, I think I've narrowed down the problem...

The piano sits directly above the garage door opener. I touched the piano tonight while the garage door was opening. The piano was vibrating like the bottom of an fine orbital sander as well as shaking and quaking. I've encountered this before in homes, but not to this extreme.

Moving the piano to another room does not appear to be an option. But, I did some checking aroung the internet, and I found this:
http://www.pianofortesupply.com/piattino1.html
(The piattino acoustic insulating caster cup)

I see that the Piattino acoustic insulating caster cup "cuts sound transmission into the floor."

Has anyone here tried using these to do the reverse... Isolate the piano from vibration in the floor?

Was it sucessful?

Or, is there some other way of isolating a piano from this sort of vibration?

Of course, the piano itself vibrates, but not like this. I think that if the piano's exposure to this can be lessened, the instrument will start to calm down a bit more.

Thanks,
-Joe

Edited by daniokeeper (03/19/09 01:30 AM)
(semi-retired)

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1165670 - 03/20/09 02:50 AM Re: Piano Shock Absorbers? [Re: daniokeeper]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
I have two thoughts on this:
First of all, if the garage door opener is creating such a vibration in the house, perhaps someting is amiss either with the mechanical operation or the mounting of the mechanism. Maybe a rubberized mounting is needed to isolate the garage door opener's vibration from the house.

Second, the Piattino caster cups are designed to isolate the piano from the floor by inserting an acoustic break. This break is designed to work for the frequencies of the piano. The lower the frequency, the harder it is to filter it out. Presumably, the garage door opener is creating a very low frequency, actually sub-sonic, i.e. it is more felt than heard. I think the acoustic insulating material in the Piattino caster cups is too rigid to do a lot of isolating in that low frequency range.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1165700 - 03/20/09 06:46 AM Re: Piano Shock Absorbers? [Re: Supply]
Marty in Minnesota Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Minnesota
Me thinks it might be time to call in a qualified tech from the GDTG - the Garage Door Technicians Guild. - LOL

I had an older door mechanism bite the dust and was truly amazed at the difference in noise and vibration level with the new unit. The old chain-drive motor and system was replaced with a screw-drive. The tracks were carefully aligned and adjusted, the old metal wheel rollers were changed to nylon wheels, lift spring tension adjusted, and all of the hinges were lubricated.

Sounds like a full action regulation to me and I think the problem needs to be addressed from below and not from above.

Now, I can barely hear when the door is in operation, and sitting directly above, it doesn't even cause a good cognac to vibrate in a snifter.

#1165713 - 03/20/09 07:40 AM Re: Piano Shock Absorbers? [Re: Marty in Minnesota]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
I am not so sure that the pitch dropping problem is due to the garage door. It doesn't seem that all the pins would be turning CCW so evenly. If the house is very dry, the soundboard may be steadily loosing crown. A DampChaser is always a good idea.

#1165735 - 03/20/09 08:36 AM Re: Piano Shock Absorbers? [Re: UnrightTooner]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Joe, I'm in agreement with Jeff. I don't see how the door opener would be much of a problem. I'd be more suspicious of the temp/humidity changes associated with being over a garage.

I think they need to move the piano, or be willing to pay your tuning fee every two weeks. grin
-----

#1165757 - 03/20/09 09:21 AM Re: Piano Shock Absorbers? [Re: David Jenson]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
I agree with David. Pianos get moved all over the place. Our D's get moved from our "garage" where we keep them to the stage and back continually and of course, they bounce around as pianos do on hard floors, over edges etc., and nothing changes the tuning or pitch on them. It more than likely has to do with humidity changes but, a 20 cent change?

Tighten all plate bolts and seat all strings for starters. I think something else is going on here. RPT ghosts are coming in and de-tuning it between times? grin

Marty, you're funny!

Whatever you do, don't call in any member of the PTG or the post is liable to be deleted! grin
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1165759 - 03/20/09 09:23 AM Re: Piano Shock Absorbers? [Re: David Jenson]
Keith Roberts Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Murphys, Ca
This time of the year, for you, it should be flat. However, the continued release of tension means something is giving way. Since you say it goes flat evenly, I wouldn't suspect that the wires are still tightening up around the pins and such. I suspect you have an anomaly or whatever. You just happened to tune when it had some room to tighten up, then you tuned it when it was humid. Next time it was less humid and now it is dry.

Since it is a Steinway, the humidity swings could be causing the board to fail. Or the plate bolts are loosening up in the dry season. Loss of downbearing is causing the CONTINUED drop in pitch. If it is the plate, it will keep flexing till it breaks.

I would schedule your next tuning for when the piano should be sharp, towards the end of the humid season. If it isn't sharp or at the same pitch, I would look for the cause.
Hathaway Pines,Ca

#1166373 - 03/21/09 01:11 PM Re: Piano Shock Absorbers? [Re: Keith Roberts]
daniokeeper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
It's that it fell uniformly that set me off a bit. I do believe it was also going flat in the summer as well, but my memory may not be perfect.

But I do see... Yes, it's probably isn't the garage door opener after all smile

You guys have given me some world-class advice.
Thank you!!! smile

I will apply it. I've already contacted the owner to make absolutely sure I can see the piano this summer.

Thanks!! smile
-Joe

Edited by daniokeeper (03/21/09 01:25 PM)
(semi-retired)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Getting back into it
by Upside
09/16/14 03:32 PM
In search of my piano name Brand
by Leoni
09/16/14 03:05 PM
"Black Widow" - Iggy Azalea
by Zach Evans
09/16/14 02:13 PM
Advice Digital Piano < 800 GPB
by Altair
09/16/14 02:09 PM
MIDI to USB adapters?
by Mark NM
09/16/14 12:32 PM
Who's Online
161 registered (accordeur, 255, AEMontoya, 44 invisible), 1501 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76224 Members
42 Forums
157565 Topics
2314379 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission