2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1165194 03/19/09 10:16 AM
M
OP Offline
M
I'm told that the pre-1920s Bechstein grands (all models) had very thin plates and are prone to cracking. Is this true???

maestro88
J
J
I don't know about thin plates, but it is true that they are prone to a crack just in front of the pin block, right up in the treble, on the bar parallel with the front.
Don't discount them on this though. Check the piano in question. They are fine instruments.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
I have been told it is more a problem of brittleness in the iron than thickness of the plate. However, I am quite leary of taking on a Bechstein that needs the plate removed.
regards,

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Just took the plate out of a 1895 6'6" Bechstein grand.

Small crack in one strut, treble side, just after the pin block.
Rest of the plate is fine. We will repair the plate.

We are thinking of modifying the design a little to support the plate. Some thoughts, no decisions on how yet.

I have heard comments reflecting Ed's post. Something to do with the metal itself.
The Original scale on this piano comes in at a little over 42,000 pounds tension.

At some point, I can post photo's if anyone is interested. What would you like to see in the plate?

It is a nice piano.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
How about the crack in the plate Larry? Are you repairing using a stick weld? Maybe some photos of the process...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I've seen 3 such plates with these cracks. All open face blocks.

I guess it's very common.

There was a great PTG Journal article a few years back regarding the repairs of these.

Last edited by Rod Verhnjak; 03/20/09 12:11 PM.

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Dan,

I have brazed three plates in the past (Hired welder, that is). The trick there was to heat a large area and after the repair was made, cool the metal very slowly. Dissimilar metals shrink at different rates when they cool. Cool too fast and ... crack.

After that, I look for a way to improve the plate support to help prevent further cracks.

Those three plates remain un-cracked.

I am hiring a plate repair guy from Worcester MA. He is well known for metal repair. I'll get the specifics on him and re post.

And .. yes, I'll take pictures of that repair process and post them.

Rod,
When were the articles or your plate repairs? I'd like to look them up.
Do you still have pictures you could post?

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Thanks Larry,

It is a subject of interest to me because in a former life (1970’s) I was a welder/fitter, mostly 6011 dirty rods, aluminum electric wire feed, and some 7014 (jet rod).

Back then doing cast welding was really tricky using a stick, I tried a couple of cast iron manifolds out of older vehicles with some success, but the process was really slow like you have stated, the metal could not get too warm or there could be contraction problems. And of course when you are doing arc welds the heat is tremendous; it can be thousands of degrees at the point of arc…..

I know from talking to a welder who does aluminum castings (with a stick now), that a lot of the processes for casted metal have changed and improved, along with the improvements in the sticks and brazing materials….. so I guess I am being a little selfish, I wanted to see how much the processes have changed over the years.

Might be a source of interest for some other members too hopefully……to see a plate repaired…

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Larry,

I flipped through 4 years of Journals hoping I'd see a cover that points to the article. No Luck. If I find some time I will flip through the pages and see if i can find it. It could be a article I read 5 years ago.

I have no pictures of any repairs like that.

Darrell Fandrich has a guy close to him that did an amazing job on a plate using a titanium rod. It looks perfect and has had no problems since it was done a few years back.

Darrell has explained the process to me a few times but I could never explain it like he can.

I'll be seeing Darrell on Monday at out meeting and I'll ask him if he remember the Journal article I first mentioned.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks Rod and Dan,

The Bechstein plate will get repaired. I can do it anytime and I have time to plan it. It would be nice to hear about other experiences.

Dan, you know the challenges first hand. It is tricky business!

Rod, It would be nice to hear about Darrell's thoughts if you don't mind giving us a run down here.

Thanks,
Larry

Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well I poured myself a cup of coffee and started flipping pages.
Because my brain is what it is I was not sure when I saw the article. It seemed like just yesterday I read it.

Well is was not.
It was March 1997.

But even better, as I flipped I found an Journal that was almost
exclusively about plate welding and repairs. Nov 2000.

The only problem now for me is I found around 14 articles I want to review from the past 12 years.

And who said membership in the PTG is not worth it!!!!!

I've got journals going back to July 1968 in that one an interesting story about Posey Sitka soundboards saying at that time 70% of all the pianos made in the U.S. use their boards.
Around 140,000 boards each year and employing 125 workers!!!!!!

I bet they wish they had that buisness volume today. cool

Last edited by Rod Verhnjak; 03/20/09 09:12 PM.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Coming to this late...
When I lived in UK saw a bunch of these grands with cracked plates...but the larger..I think 7.6" didn;t have the issue.
I had one fixed by a local engineer by means of a key....he drilled a series of holes at right angles to the break..plate out of course....very close together...and a key which mirrored this pattern was either welded or just plain driven into the key holes and the crack closed up...seemed to hold and with the usual jiggery pokery I smoothed off the surface and it looked good as new...never did break again (as far as I know).
Now this was a fair amount of time ago and I may be delusional, but that's how I remember it :-)

Peter Sumner
Concert Piano Technician

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission