2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Willie Offline OP
OP Offline
I am considering buying a Steinway Essex baby grand (EGP-161N) with the iPod music player for $22,000 ($15,000 for the piano & $7,000 for the music player). The keys felt a little heavy and hard to push when compared to the Steinway New York model. This Essex model is beautiful and would go well in our house. We would use it for my son to learn to play the piano, and for the music player so we could have piano music in the house. Is the Essex worth the money, or is there a better Steinway model or other brand for that price?

Not sure about the price of the iPod, but the price on this 5'3.5" piano is (in my humble opinion) too high. You should be able to purchase an RX-1 Kawai (the quality equivalent of the Boston line) for that price or better, and various other similar quality pianos of the same or similar size. There's nothing wrong with Essex pianos, but you pay dearly for the Steinway affiliation, and there are therefore better values to be had in the marketplace. In any market (and especially in this sluggish market), you can afford to be VERY patient. You will undoubtedly find many beautiful pianos to choose from within your apparent budget. Best of luck, and keep us all posted! smile

Mason & Hamlin A (2006); Yamaha P140
Hi Willie,

That is a lot to pay for an Essex, which is a nice piano, but hardly exceptional. The RX-1 by Kawai is a better piano for $15K, along with the 162 from Brodmann, for starters.

Since your son is a beginner, however, I would recommend either a Hailun 161 or a Steck G62, which both compare to the Essex, but are priced in the $8K range, so that you can get a piano AND a player for $15K. Both of these pianos look great, and are good to learn on for a beginner. Furthermore, the $7K that you save versus the Essex and player will be a nice chunk of change if invested to help pay for your sons college education.

As for the action on an Essex (or an RX-1, Brodmann, Hailun or Steck) versus a NY Steinway, there is absolutely no comparison. There's a reason why the Steinway S is $40K, and a big chunk of it is related to the action.

Have fun on your search. Like Deerwood Dad said, "you can afford to be VERY patient ..."

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
In California you can get an RX-2 for $15k. Almost all pianos are essentially the same width. A 5'10" Kawai will sound much better that that Essex.

BTW the first price you hear is almost never the price at which the piano can be bought.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by FogVilleLad:
BTW the first price you hear is almost never the price at which the piano can be bought.
Very true and well worth remembering.

Buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
Willie Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your comments. Now, I'm thinking about a Kawai RX-2 (with the Millennium III Action) or an Estonia 168, versus the Essex EGP-173C. Any thoughts?

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
If you took a poll, the results would be:
Estonia 168 > RX-2 > Essex.
Not everyone would agree, but that order is also consistent with Larry Fine's ratings. However you should also expect to pay more for the Estonia than the other two.

I would encourage you to do a search for "Essex" on this forum. Beware that this forum is historically an anti-Steinway-designed pianos (Steinway, Boston, and Essex) site, which flies in the face of what music school after music school is selecting for their students. You are in a good position in that you are considering very fine pianos in the mix so good luck with the decision.

Ok, time to pop up a big bowl of popcorn and watch the fireworks...

ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Pianomadam:
I would encourage you to do a search for "Essex" on this forum. Beware that this forum is historically an anti-Steinway-designed pianos site, which flies in the face of what music school after music school is seledcting for their students. You are in a good position in that you are considering very fine pianos in the mix so good luck with the decision.

PianoMadam

I didn't realize that music schools were selecting Essex pianos. Interesting. Where is this happening?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Pianomadam:
I would encourage you to do a search for "Essex" on this forum. Beware that this forum is historically an anti-Steinway-designed pianos site, which flies in the face of what music school after music school is seledcting for their students. You are in a good position in that you are considering very fine pianos in the mix so good luck with the decision.

When did schools start choosing Essex? I thought it was mostly Boston and Steinway.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Willie:
I am considering buying a Steinway Essex baby grand (EGP-161N) with the iPod music player for $22,000 ($15,000 for the piano & $7,000 for the music player). The keys felt a little heavy and hard to push when compared to the Steinway New York model. This Essex model is beautiful and would go well in our house. We would use it for my son to learn to play the piano, and for the music player so we could have piano music in the house. Is the Essex worth the money, or is there a better Steinway model or other brand for that price?
Boston or comparable Kawai would be better, IMHO. Of course, a Steinway is best if you've got the funds. :p wink Get a B. You'll never regret it. laugh

Back to serious, though, I'd take a Kawai RX- series piano or a Boston over the Essex. The best reason to go for a Boston is the Steinway trade-up advantage, if you ultimately want a Steinway. And if you don't, an RX- series piano will be excellent.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Willie -

Let me make sure I understand. No one in your family currently plays the piano - but your son is going to start taking lessons - and on top of that you'd like to have piano music in your house (i.e. the music player for $7,000).

If the IPod music player weren't in the picture - I'd recommend that you buy a nice looking upright for your son and see how he does with his lessons BEFORE you invest in a grand piano. BUT - if you really want to have both the grand and the music player, I'd recommend that you find something other than an Essex (a Hailun,for example, is of comparable quality and much more affordable). Don't worry about the "touch." Many folks on this forum may disagree with me, but a piano's action is not a major issue for a beginner - and the Ipod music player certainly isn't going to care!! I'd also recommend that you hold off on the RX-2 or the Estonia until your son's musical development justifies it. Of course, if money really isn't an issue - and you are viewing this purchase as an "investment," then I would encourage you to do whatever feels good - and more power to you !!

Good luck.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
B
Since you are considering a player piano, you should also stop by your local Yamaha dealer for a Disklavier Mark IV demonstration.

Brant Barron

Lancaster Piano Company
Gainesville, GA

Established 1949

www.LancasterPiano.com
Hi Willie,

If you're looking at an Estonia or RX-2, then I'd also toss a Disklavier into the equation, but I'd also really recommend that you think about Carey's comment first, and even add another consideration.

A beginner, which I am, can actually be discouraged on a great piano with a more responsive action. I practice on an Estonia 168 and Steinway M and O regularly. I find them much harder to play on than the Albert Weber 48 that I have at home, which is a very nice upright, but clearly not a 168 or an M.

The less responsive keyboard on my A Weber is far friendlier to my fingers, which are just learning to make the moves that I need to know to play properly. It will take me a few YEARS before I'm ready to take advantage of the better action on a great upright.

My advice is to do your son a favor and buy a piano that will be friendlier for him to learn on, such as the Essex or a Hailun, and then let him choose the great piano he enjoys best when he's ready to take it to the next step several years down the road.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
A beginner, which I am, can actually be discouraged on a great piano with a more responsive action. I practice on an Estonia 168 and Steinway M and O regularly. I find them much harder to play on than the Albert Weber 48 that I have at home, which is a very nice upright, but clearly not a 168 or an M.

The less responsive keyboard on my A Weber is far friendlier to my fingers, which are just learning to make the moves that I need to know to play properly. It will take me a few YEARS before I'm ready to take advantage of the better action on a great upright.
confused
I'm not sure I understand what's going on with this - assuming the Estonia, the M, and the O are in good regulation. Care to elaborate?

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
I would encourage you to do a search for "Essex" on this forum. Beware that this forum is historically an anti-Steinway-designed pianos (Steinway, Boston, and Essex) site, which flies in the face of what music school after music school is selecting for their students.
School selcetion of any one brand depends on a lot more variables than what is commonly assumed by the unsuspecting public.

The moment word comes out a college is looking for pianos, a number of corporations jump at the ready and make all kinds of proposals, none of which have anything to do with 'tone' or 'quality' of the pianos but rather 'cost'.

It's 100% business - plain and simple.

And this 'business' is worked out in each case differently with the benfits accruing to the college in one way or another being competed with usually by several companies all at one.

Of course, nobody could ever accuse Steinway not being good at business...

Norbert wink

Hi T,

The pianos are in very good shape. Their actions are so fast that they're not very forgiving of the kind of mistakes that I'm making as a beginner. It's hard to put into words, but let me try. As I'm learning to play a piece, I start out very slowly and then speed up as I become more familiar with it. One of the problems that I have, and I assume it's fairly typical, is that no matter how fast I play, I still can't play it as fast and smooth as the piece calls for, which is why I'm a beginner.

When I'm on an Estonia or Steinway, it's far too easy to play at a faster speed than I'm capable of playing at, so I mess up. On the A Weber, I don't have the same tendency to overplay my ability because the action isn't as fast and the keys are less sensitive to being pressed with varying tensions. It's the inverse of why a great player prefers playing on a great piano.

Another analogy is learning to drive. Which car is safer for a new driver, a Toyota Corolla or a Ferrari Dino?

S
S
You should be able to get an Essex for under $20,000 (closer to $15,000 I would think). But there is one advantage the Essex and Boston have (I've only tried the Boston, and it's worth the price of admission BTW): Steinway offers 100% of the original purchase price if you decide to upgrade to a full Steinway within 10 years of buying your Essex. So if you buy the Kawai and want to upgrade, you're out whatever the depreciated value is. But with the Essex or Boston, that price is leveraged against your upgraded instrument.

Just a thought in value-added terms.

D
D
Thread is 5 months old if anyone cares or hadn't noticed..

Musically Yours,
Jonathan Hunt

Sales Professional:
Steinway, Boston, Essex, Kohler & Campbell

The Music Gallery
Clearwater, Fl.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve B
You should be able to get an Essex for under $20,000 (closer to $15,000 I would think). But there is one advantage the Essex and Boston have (I've only tried the Boston, and it's worth the price of admission BTW): Steinway offers 100% of the original purchase price if you decide to upgrade to a full Steinway within 10 years of buying your Essex. So if you buy the Kawai and want to upgrade, you're out whatever the depreciated value is. But with the Essex or Boston, that price is leveraged against your upgraded instrument.

Just a thought in value-added terms.

---------
Many Kawai dealers offer a ten year 100% of the original purchase price Kawai trade up policy on new Kawai pianos.

Many Steinway dealers offer a ten year 100% of the original purchase price of a Kawai if traded in on a new Steinway.

Many dealers of various different brands love to trade in Kawai pianos that are less than 10 years old, due to Kawai's full and fully transferrable factory warranty. Good for the dealer and very very good for the subsequent owners of the used Kawais.
I don't think Essex and Boston pianos have transferrable warranties.

In my opinion, 100% trade up policies aren't necessarily a good deal for the consumer. Those 10 year trade in deals thought of as "value-added terms" usually aren't consumer friendly value added terms.

Do a search here on Piano Forum regarding 100% trade ups.

At the present time there seems to be some very low negotiated selling prices on many brands of pianos including Kawai.

I'm not too sure what the "Family of Steinway Designed Pianos" dealers are doing regarding "knock your socks off" discounted prices on their instruments.

Anyway, as stated many times before,
"Buy the piano, not the deal."

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission