Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1167245 - 03/23/09 11:41 AM Yamaha Disklavier Playback Pianos
BFlat Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I'm noticing on this Forum there is very little traffic on the Yamaha Disklavier Playback Pianos.

Is it because these electronic/acoustics playback pianos require little maintenance?

Tuning requirements are no different from regular acoustic pianos?

Yamaha retain proprietary rights to the electronic/midi electro-mechanical playback mechanisms?

I'm diligently seeking information on a 5 year old Yamaha Mark III Series Disklavier Playback Piano. The Operation Manual contain extensive information on playing the piano, but nothing on adjusting the electro-mechanical mechanisms. Over time the piano's sustain pedal developed an irritating "squeaking noise" that is amplified through the instrument's internal speakers. Will a few drops of oil help?

Self-tuning the piano is not a problem and is truly a satisfying experience; however, the playback mechanisms are presenting a challenge due to lack of technical information.

Yamaha USA is not very helpful. Their website contain tons of information on how to play the instrument, but virtually nothing on how to maintain it.

If anyone care to provide ANY technical information on this playback piano, that information will be sincerely appreciated. However, if this is the wrong area to discuss this type piano, a gentle nudge to right area is also appreciated.

Thanks!

BFlat

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1167426 - 03/23/09 05:09 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier Playback Pianos [Re: BFlat]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Most of us that work on these Disklavier units have gone through a very intensive 3 day or longer course (I've gone through it several times now and still forget a lot) which is strictly about the Disklavier units and thereafter, we receive an instruction manual along with an 800 #. Yamaha refers to their instruction manual as "their bible" for these units. They are very complex and is nothing to fool around with yourself. It is very easy to get a nice electrical shock if you touch the wrong places...

Personally, I will offer no advice on this as I do not recommend doing it yourself.

Yamaha is not very helpful because they do not want you fooling around with that unit yourself.

I would strongly suggest contacting the http://ptg.org/ as one source to locate a qualified piano technician (RPT) to look at it for you or, contact the Yamaha factory directly asking them for a referral in your area...and NO oil should ever be used on the piano and that includes WD-40.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1167462 - 03/23/09 06:03 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier Playback Pianos [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
BFlat Offline

Jerry,

Thank you for the feedback. Everything you suggest make sense from this end.

The music store in Rockville, Maryland that sold the Disklavier closed its doors permanently in December 08. The Yamaha trained Tuner/Technician who did the initial and secondary tune lives in Baltimore, Maryland and refused to drive the 80 miles to service my out of warranty piano. I'm guessing the cost/benefit of the drive, the tune, and the return drive i$n't worth the effort. Can't fault him.

Other tuner/technicians I've used over the years have a tendency to tune the piano flat for some strange reason (room acoustics?), and not one is skilled in the Yamaha Playback Technologies.

I'm a practicing Jazz Pianist, and can differentiate tone colors (pitch). With that skill(?) I'm able to tune the piano to a temperament that satisfy my aural sensibilities (and more important - my audience's). However, the sustain pedal squeak is maddening.

Any Tuner/Techician who frequent this Forum and live in the Metro Washington, DC area and is interested in my piano problem is welcome to leave a message at this site. Hope this inquiry isn't in violation of any Forum netiquette.

Finally,

Jerry, How does one qualify to attend the Yamaha training course?

Thanks!

BFlat

#1167491 - 03/23/09 06:49 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier Playback Pianos [Re: BFlat]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Piano technicians are the ones who take their courses. But, not everyone of them does.

If you contact Yamaha directly, I'm sure they can give you names of people that would be willing and able to correct the problem on your piano.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1167538 - 03/23/09 08:17 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier Playback Pianos [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Incidentally, that would be Yamaha USA, not the factory.

#1167547 - 03/23/09 08:40 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier Playback Pianos [Re: BDB]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

If you paid the tech enough, I'm sure he would drive the 80 miles - You just have to make it worth his while - cover his time plus driving expense.

#1167598 - 03/23/09 10:25 PM Re: Yamaha Disklavier Playback Pianos [Re: Bob]
KeyDip Offline

Loc: Central Florida
Just curious, bFlat, on an average, how often do you have your piano tuned and serviced by a professional?

#1167799 - 03/24/09 09:09 AM Re: Yamaha Disklavier Playback Pianos [Re: KeyDip]
BFlat Offline

To KeyDip,

The last Yamaha Mark III Disklavier professional tuning occurred in March 08'. Prior to that it was tuned on average every four months as recommended by Yamaha USA. The problem is that immediately after every tune, the instrument neither sound nor felt comfortable. It took a bit of "banging the keys" to get the piano within my "comfort zone" and it consistently played flat. Not one of the tuner/technician who serviced the piano had any experience with the Yamaha Playback System (gentleman from Baltimore excluded).

I've tuned it since.

Thanks!

bFlat
Bach Lives!

Edited by BFlat (03/24/09 11:36 AM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (angga888, AndrewJCW, Art_Vandelay, 29 invisible), 1295 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156114 Topics
2292530 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Franz Liszt - Un Sospiro
by sislermi
07/24/14 02:42 AM
Need advice on buying a Yamaha Disklavier
by Lady
07/24/14 01:17 AM
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
07/24/14 12:01 AM
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
07/23/14 11:11 PM
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
07/23/14 10:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission