2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
BFlat Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'm noticing on this Forum there is very little traffic on the Yamaha Disklavier Playback Pianos.

Is it because these electronic/acoustics playback pianos require little maintenance?

Tuning requirements are no different from regular acoustic pianos?

Yamaha retain proprietary rights to the electronic/midi electro-mechanical playback mechanisms?

I'm diligently seeking information on a 5 year old Yamaha Mark III Series Disklavier Playback Piano. The Operation Manual contain extensive information on playing the piano, but nothing on adjusting the electro-mechanical mechanisms. Over time the piano's sustain pedal developed an irritating "squeaking noise" that is amplified through the instrument's internal speakers. Will a few drops of oil help?

Self-tuning the piano is not a problem and is truly a satisfying experience; however, the playback mechanisms are presenting a challenge due to lack of technical information.

Yamaha USA is not very helpful. Their website contain tons of information on how to play the instrument, but virtually nothing on how to maintain it.

If anyone care to provide ANY technical information on this playback piano, that information will be sincerely appreciated. However, if this is the wrong area to discuss this type piano, a gentle nudge to right area is also appreciated.

Thanks!

BFlat

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Most of us that work on these Disklavier units have gone through a very intensive 3 day or longer course (I've gone through it several times now and still forget a lot) which is strictly about the Disklavier units and thereafter, we receive an instruction manual along with an 800 #. Yamaha refers to their instruction manual as "their bible" for these units. They are very complex and is nothing to fool around with yourself. It is very easy to get a nice electrical shock if you touch the wrong places...

Personally, I will offer no advice on this as I do not recommend doing it yourself.

Yamaha is not very helpful because they do not want you fooling around with that unit yourself.

I would strongly suggest contacting the http://ptg.org/ as one source to locate a qualified piano technician (RPT) to look at it for you or, contact the Yamaha factory directly asking them for a referral in your area...and NO oil should ever be used on the piano and that includes WD-40.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
BFlat Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Jerry,

Thank you for the feedback. Everything you suggest make sense from this end.

The music store in Rockville, Maryland that sold the Disklavier closed its doors permanently in December 08. The Yamaha trained Tuner/Technician who did the initial and secondary tune lives in Baltimore, Maryland and refused to drive the 80 miles to service my out of warranty piano. I'm guessing the cost/benefit of the drive, the tune, and the return drive i$n't worth the effort. Can't fault him.

Other tuner/technicians I've used over the years have a tendency to tune the piano flat for some strange reason (room acoustics?), and not one is skilled in the Yamaha Playback Technologies.

I'm a practicing Jazz Pianist, and can differentiate tone colors (pitch). With that skill(?) I'm able to tune the piano to a temperament that satisfy my aural sensibilities (and more important - my audience's). However, the sustain pedal squeak is maddening.

Any Tuner/Techician who frequent this Forum and live in the Metro Washington, DC area and is interested in my piano problem is welcome to leave a message at this site. Hope this inquiry isn't in violation of any Forum netiquette.

Finally,

Jerry, How does one qualify to attend the Yamaha training course?

Thanks!

BFlat

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Piano technicians are the ones who take their courses. But, not everyone of them does.

If you contact Yamaha directly, I'm sure they can give you names of people that would be willing and able to correct the problem on your piano.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Incidentally, that would be Yamaha USA, not the factory.

Semipro Tech
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
If you paid the tech enough, I'm sure he would drive the 80 miles - You just have to make it worth his while - cover his time plus driving expense.

Just curious, bFlat, on an average, how often do you have your piano tuned and serviced by a professional?

Bruce A. Fanzlaw, RPT
39 years in the Piano Industry
Active Technician/Rebuilder
B
BFlat Offline OP
OP Offline
B
To KeyDip,

The last Yamaha Mark III Disklavier professional tuning occurred in March 08'. Prior to that it was tuned on average every four months as recommended by Yamaha USA. The problem is that immediately after every tune, the instrument neither sound nor felt comfortable. It took a bit of "banging the keys" to get the piano within my "comfort zone" and it consistently played flat. Not one of the tuner/technician who serviced the piano had any experience with the Yamaha Playback System (gentleman from Baltimore excluded).

I've tuned it since.

Thanks!

bFlat
Bach Lives!

Last edited by BFlat; 03/24/09 11:36 AM.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission