Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#240487 - 11/29/08 04:07 PM Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
ffevhbtwh Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I just bought a used Steinway Tricentennial A. This was a limited edition model that was built jointly by the Hamburg and the NY factories. The piano was built in Hamburg (case, plate, soundboard, strings, etc), with NY action and hammers. The piano has a huge dynamic range and amazing sustain all the way up to the highest treble, and is full of colors (sound quality changes going from piano to forte). The action is superb - medium weight and smooth.

This was a suped up Steinway A: the rim is as thick as Steinway D's, with a super tight grain soundboard (even tighter than the soundboard in the vintage Steinway A I used to own).

The white keys are covered in Steinway's synthetic called "Ivoplast". It looks and feels more ivory-like than plain plastic key covers. Does anyone know if Ivoplast is standard on Steinway pianos?

I was just wondering if anyone else owns a "hybrid" Steinway piano - either a Hamburg Steinway with NY Steinway hammers, or a NY Steinway with Renner hammers?

here are some pics of the unusual features of this piano.

[piano; sorry for the dark photo]

[long curve propstick]

[short curve propstick]

[commemorative plate]

[massive beams]

[music rest on ball bearings - note only the "middle" part of the music rest glides along the rails, and can be adjusted to any angle with the music desk's frictioned hinges]

[articulate hinges - the hinges props the lid up by a couple of inches to let sound escapes in all directions]

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#240488 - 11/29/08 04:25 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
I played one of these Dakota Jackson pianos at Steinway Hall-- it was fabulous! I wish that I owned one ;\) !

Sophia

#240489 - 11/29/08 05:03 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Looks like a cool piano. The first Steinway artcase I've seen that I actually like. Now we need a similar collaboration on a B or D.

BTW, the plate in your piano may have been sourced from Kelly here in the States. I think Hamburg is using the same plates NY does.

#240490 - 11/29/08 05:28 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
 Quote:
Originally posted by ffevhbtwh:
Does anyone else own a "hybrid" Steinway piano - either a Hamburg Steinway with NY Steinway hammers, or a NY Steinway with Renner hammers?
I play a Hamburg C with NY hammers.

I don't know if you would classify it a "hybrid" since the new hammers were part of a rebuild, not original to the piano.

It does get very good mileage however. ;\)

#240491 - 11/29/08 05:37 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member

What does Tricentennial mean in this context? It is hard to imagine that Steinway has been in business since 1708. Just curious.

#240492 - 11/29/08 05:53 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I think it's the Tricentennial of the invention of the piano.

#240493 - 11/30/08 02:33 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
ffevhbtwh Offline

whippen boy - I played an old original NY Steinway C once and thought it was a great piano, even with the old action and original soundboard. How old is the Steinway C that you get to play? How would you compare the sound of the old Renner hammers vs. the NY Steinway hammers?

#240494 - 11/30/08 06:29 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
whippen boy Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
The Hamburg C is a relatively new piano (approx 20 years old). Unfortunately I didn't get to hear or play it before the rebuild. No matter - it is an extraordinary piano now.

#240495 - 11/30/08 08:53 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
Palindrome Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by sophial:
I think it's the Tricentennial of the invention of the piano. [/b]
Confirmed:

Quote:
Originally posted on the Steinway website:
The piano was invented 300 years ago by Italian instrument maker Bartolomeo Cristofori while he served in the Florentine court of Prince Ferdinand de Medici. This instrument, originally called the gravicembalo col piano e forteresembled the harpsichord in shape and construction. However, instead of plucking the strings as one would do when playing the harpsichord, the piano produced sounds when leather-covered hammers struck the strings. A primitive escapement, or rachet, mechanism controlled these hammers, allowing repetition of sound. Yet, what made Cristofori's pianoforte unique was the fact that it was the first stringed keyboard instrument to produce a range of soft (piano) and loud (forte) tones, emulating the dynamics of the human voice.[/b]

#240496 - 12/01/08 11:15 AM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
ffevhbtwh Offline

Horowitzian - Agreed. It was the first Steinway art case that I liked as well.

wippen boy - I bet it's a great Steinway C!

Sophia - Just curious what you would say is the difference in sound between the Dakota Jackson A and the NY Steinway A? Thanks.

Palindrome - Thanks for the confirmation. Indeed the piano was built to commemorate the invention of the piano.

#240497 - 12/01/08 02:21 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
Rich Galassini Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
A customer of mine (who occasionally posted here for some time) had considered one of these pianos. Instead, he chose a piano that he felt outperformed it and then had it customized just a little so as to gain a little of the flair of the "Dakota" model.

A ball bearing joint was installed so the lid prop can lay down inside the piano. It also give him the ability to change the prop as he desires, like so:

Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#240498 - 12/01/08 09:55 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Thats truly a unique piano!

Rich, Did your shop build that prop stick?

#240499 - 12/01/08 11:59 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Rich, what model Bosie is that?

ffevhbtwh-- based on one model I don't think I could generalize to how the Dakota Jacksons in general sound compare to others but this one had lots of sparkle and was bright but colorful. It had been well-prepped and played with wonderful dynamic range and control.

#240500 - 12/02/08 12:32 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
Rich Galassini Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
It is a Bosie 225. We helped him complete the look with that "way cool" lid prop. \:\)
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#240501 - 12/02/08 01:29 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
sophial Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The lid prop is VERY cool! Not quite fair to compare a 225 to a 6'2'' A but I'm sure the 225 is a beauty.

#240502 - 12/03/08 10:33 AM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added)
ffevhbtwh Offline

"... this one had lots of sparkle and was bright but colorful. It had been well-prepped and played with wonderful dynamic range and control"

Great descriptions, Sophia. I can hear the colorful voice from its cold-pressed NY hammers, and the sustain, sparkles, wide dynamic range and control from its Hamburg lineage.

#1166785 - 03/22/09 11:49 AM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added) [Re: ffevhbtwh]
Wilhelm6 Offline

Did anybody have the fortune to see or listen to Dakota JACKSONĀ“s STEINWAY D grand (http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/3002/print, http://www.nydailynews.com/services/real...ory_makes_.html)?

#1166880 - 03/22/09 04:35 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added) [Re: Wilhelm6]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

It's OK. I think the aesthetic of the design fits the model A better, though.

#1167013 - 03/22/09 10:00 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added) [Re: Horowitzian]
ffevhbtwh Offline

The article seems to mention the D.J. model D is $350k. Yikes!

#1167016 - 03/22/09 10:03 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added) [Re: ffevhbtwh]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

eek Dang.

#1167028 - 03/22/09 10:25 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photo [Re: Horowitzian]
Diaphragmatic Offline

ffevhbtwh
Beautifull piano! Congratulations. The Dakota Jackson Special Edition is one of my favorites as well. We were fortunate to have sold two of them..

Originally Posted By: Horowitzian
Looks like a cool piano. The first Steinway artcase I've seen that I actually like. Now we need a similar collaboration on a B or D. thumb

BTW, the plate in your piano may have been sourced from Kelly here in the States. I think Hamburg is using the same plates NY does.

I think you should look at more Art Case Steinways Horowitzian (although I can agree that some of them are a little different (ugly wink )) but hey, I don't always understand all art. Check this one out, I cant wait to get ours in Rosewood!

William E. Steinway Limited Edition is just one example of the gorgeous pianos available.

Sales Professional:
Steinway, Boston, Essex, Kohler & Campbell

The Music Gallery
Clearwater, Fl.

#1167031 - 03/22/09 10:36 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added) [Re: ffevhbtwh]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Very Cool! I Like thumb

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1167560 - 03/23/09 09:18 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added) [Re: Strings & Wood]
ffevhbtwh Offline

actually i don't know if the dakota jackson model D is a hamburg with ny action/hammers or not. does anyone know? it might be a ny model d in an art case, whereas the dakota jackson model A is a hamburg A with ny action/hammers.

#1167605 - 03/23/09 10:31 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added) [Re: Diaphragmatic]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Diaphragmatic
[...]

Originally Posted By: Horowitzian
Looks like a cool piano. The first Steinway artcase I've seen that I actually like. Now we need a similar collaboration on a B or D. thumb

I think you should look at more Art Case Steinways Horowitzian (although I can agree that some of them are a little different (ugly wink )) but hey, I don't always understand all art. Check this one out, I cant wait to get ours in Rosewood!

William E. Steinway Limited Edition is just one example of the gorgeous pianos available.

Oh, yes. That one is beautiful. My dealer in fact showed me the brochure for that model the last time I was in the store. He said the entire production of that model was all spoken for already. eek

My post above meant the one-off art-case pianos that look like pieces of abstract art. Yuck. sick I love the classic art-case styles such as that one, or the Henry Z. model. cool

And I think the Dakota Jackson models look great. wink

#1167648 - 03/23/09 11:47 PM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added) [Re: Horowitzian]
Diaphragmatic Offline

The Tiffany was one of my favorites as well..

Sales Professional:

The Music Gallery
Clearwater, Fl.

#1167657 - 03/24/09 12:17 AM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added) [Re: Diaphragmatic]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

By that do you mean the HZS model specifically, original pianos in that style, or something different altogether?

Here's the Henry Z. Steinway model:

The William E. Steinway model:

Now that's classic art-case perfection IMHO. cool The Dakota Jackson models are definitely the top of the heap amogst "modern" art-cases.

#1167826 - 03/24/09 09:55 AM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photo [Re: Horowitzian]
Diaphragmatic Offline

No its actually a different special edition Steinway designed by Joseph Burr Tiffany. Im looking for pictures online as I am not as work today! Tuesdays are my days off grin

Ill find a pic..

Sales Professional:

The Music Gallery
Clearwater, Fl.

#1167830 - 03/24/09 10:04 AM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photo [Re: Diaphragmatic]
Diaphragmatic Offline

Ok here it is..

Not nearly as elaborate as some others but I really loved it.

Edited by Diaphragmatic (03/24/09 10:18 AM)

Sales Professional:

The Music Gallery
Clearwater, Fl.

#1167874 - 03/24/09 11:36 AM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photo [Re: Diaphragmatic]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Hey, that's gorgeous! I like it. cool

#1167875 - 03/24/09 11:40 AM Re: Steinway Dakota Jackson Tricentennial A (photos added) [Re: Wilhelm6]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Wilhelm6
Did anybody have the fortune to see or listen to Dakota JACKSONĀ“s STEINWAY D grand (http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/3002/print, http://www.nydailynews.com/services/real...ory_makes_.html)?

Doesn't it look in the photo like the rear leg is not in the center of the back? Maybe it's just the angle the photo was taken at, but something looks wrong to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
88 registered (adultpianist, Atrys, AZNpiano, alberto, Akshay, 14 invisible), 1129 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153538 Topics
2250097 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
2014 Bradshaw and Buono Piano Competition
by hsheck
04/18/14 01:21 AM
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
04/17/14 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
04/17/14 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
04/17/14 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
04/17/14 10:07 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission