Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1168749 - 03/25/09 05:32 PM Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'?
Samuel1993 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I've just finished learning this piece. I'm not sure whether to use pedal or not.
Liszt - Romance in E minor "O pourquoi donc" S.196

Piano & Music Accessories
#1168791 - 03/25/09 06:16 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: Samuel1993]
Claude56 Offline

No!!! Definetely not. Using the pedal destroys the march, sycompated, ragtimy style.

#1168795 - 03/25/09 06:22 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: Claude56]
survivordan Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio
No. Most people dont realize there's supposed to be a little 'gap' of syncopation between the LH ocatves, and elsewhere. Pedaling fills those in superflously.

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor

#1168804 - 03/25/09 06:54 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: survivordan]
jjtpiano Offline

Loc: Jamestown, NC
Using the pedal will muddy this piece to an unacceptable degree.

#1168827 - 03/25/09 08:14 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: jjtpiano]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
No pedal - nada - zed - zip. metronome, yes!

[ed.: didn't we just go through this MPR pedaling issue?]

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#1168964 - 03/26/09 01:28 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: daviel]
BJones Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Queens, NY
Originally Posted By: daviel
No pedal - nada - zed - zip. metronome, yes!

[ed.: didn't we just go through this MPR pedaling issue?]

No pedal. No space = no syncopation.

Cool School Chopin:

http://www.mediafire.com/?d1yc1mmitew

Improvisations:

http://www.box.net/shared/bjv6yc34oo

http://www.box.net/shared/8lmc3hzikl

#1169017 - 03/26/09 06:27 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: BJones]
Bhav Offline

I think it depends on the Piano. On my cheap Piano, it sounds a lot better pedaled.

Joplin -

Maple Leaf Rag (finished)
Magnetic Rag (finished :))
The Entertainer
Stoptime Rag
Pineapple Rag
The Chrysanthemum
Reflection Rag

- Lots of rags to learn frown.

#1169042 - 03/26/09 07:58 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: Samuel1993]
David Ramezani Offline

Loc: Sweden
Here you have the piece played by the composer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAtL7n_-rc&fmt=18

It is recorded on a piano roll which is not completely accurate, although one gets an idea of how it was played. Of course, the composer is not always the best "interpreter". Let your own ear and your own taste guide you. Record it (perhaps several versions) if you have to.

David Ramezani

#1169089 - 03/26/09 09:38 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: Samuel1993]
BJones Offline
1000 Post Club Member

May I be so bold as to ask why people like this song? What's the continued fascination with this tivial ditty that 1000 years after it was written, people are still playing it?

tired

Cool School Chopin:

Improvisations:

#1169097 - 03/26/09 10:00 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: BJones]
Bhav Offline

It was written in 1898, first published in 1906, and became the first work of music to sell over 1 million copies on score?

It is regarded by many to be the best Rag ever written, and it is also one of the easiest to learn thanks to the amount of repetition used in the piece.

I think you maybe meant 100 years, but then why do people still play Chopin, Mozart, or any other classical composer?

Joplin -

The Entertainer
Stoptime Rag
Pineapple Rag
The Chrysanthemum
Reflection Rag

#1169142 - 03/26/09 10:51 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: Bhav]
BJones Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bhav
It was written in 1898, first published in 1906, and became the first work of music to sell over 1 million copies on score?

It is regarded by many to be the best Rag ever written, and it is also one of the easiest to learn thanks to the amount of repetition used in the piece.

I think you maybe meant 100 years, but then why do people still play Chopin, Mozart, or any other classical composer?

No, I meant 1000! It seems like I've been hearing 6 year olds play that song at recitals for the last 1000 years anyway! grin

Chopin, Mozart, and most of the other clasical composer's music has content. Some, more than others. Many of their compositions are aesthetically superb as well. Male Leaf Rag, on the other hand... I just don't get it.

Then again, rap artists sell gazillions of CDs, and consider each other "geniuses" if they can sample a rudimentary drum track. I imagine that compared to some of that, Maple Leaf Rag is the work of a super-genius. Maybe Wiley Coyote wrote it;

http://steynian.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/wile_e_coyote_super_genius.jpg

Cool School Chopin:

Improvisations:

#1169147 - 03/26/09 10:56 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: Bhav]
john gill Offline

Loc: Perth Western Australia
Dear Bhav,
May I gently correct you re Maple Leaf Rag.

It was written about 1897 and then published by John Stark in Sedalia Mo. September 1899. It still remains the perfect model of classic ragtime.
All the very best to you.
John Gill
Australian Pianoman.

#1169220 - 03/26/09 12:41 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: john gill]
hv Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cape Cod
Hi ya, John. THE John Gill? My favorite down-under stride playing Bosendorfer artist? Playing Sidewalk Blues in this thread???...

Sedalia 2006 highlights

Welcome to PianoWorld!

Howard

#1169234 - 03/26/09 12:57 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: hv]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Ah, Howard - I always make sure I check out what you've written because I know you're on the ball with ragtime, and I have the Sedalia highlights bookmarked, as well as Sue's site, on my computer. Loved the Sidewalk Blues!

Cathy

#1169270 - 03/26/09 01:47 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: john gill]
Bhav Offline

Originally Posted By: john gill
Dear Bhav,
May I gently correct you re Maple Leaf Rag.

It was written about 1897 and then published by John Stark in Sedalia Mo. September 1899. It still remains the perfect model of classic ragtime.
All the very best to you.
John Gill
Australian Pianoman.

Ooops, I were a few years off doh.

Joplin -

The Entertainer
Stoptime Rag
Pineapple Rag
The Chrysanthemum
Reflection Rag

#1169355 - 03/26/09 05:14 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: Bhav]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Some pedal. Do it the way it sounds good to you. Kind of depends on the piano, the room, the speed, your personal style.

"Maple Leaf" is Joplin's best-known work, but not my personal favorite, by a long way. The "Collected Works" offers a lot that is less-known, but in my opinion, better--- anyway, for my taste.

#1170038 - 03/27/09 09:28 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: Jeff Clef]
Tony F. Offline

Yeah, definitely.

#1170290 - 03/28/09 01:58 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: Bhav]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City

I certainly don't think it's one of the easier Joplin rags. The trio sections proves a stumbling block for many. Virtually all the Joplin rags use repeated phrases a lot.

Edited by pianoloverus (03/28/09 02:00 PM)

#1170404 - 03/28/09 05:04 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: David Ramezani]
jjtpiano Offline

Loc: Jamestown, NC
Originally Posted By: David Ramezani
Here you have the piece played by the composer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAtL7n_-rc&fmt=18

It is recorded on a piano roll which is not completely accurate, although one gets an idea of how it was played. Of course, the composer is not always the best "interpreter". Let your own ear and your own taste guide you. Record it (perhaps several versions) if you have to.

Interesting that he swings it.

There was a thread a while back asking about that.

#1170617 - 03/29/09 01:13 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: jjtpiano]
88Key_PianoPlayer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: El Cajon, CA
There's a very limited few places I might use the pedal on that song... for example on the measure where you're playing the Ab-minor broken chord 4 times going up an octave each time, i think a few measures into the song if I remember correctly. Also I might consider its use sometimes in the second section of the song, where it like transitions into a Db key or something like that. Actually, though, that'd be one of those cases where I actually would like to sustain the treble and the low bass, but not the syncopated chord on beats 2 and 4 of each measure.
1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.

#1170784 - 03/29/09 01:07 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: pianoloverus]
Bhav Offline

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

I certainly don't think it's one of the easier Joplin rags. The trio sections proves a stumbling block for many. Virtually all the Joplin rags use repeated phrases a lot.

Well I found it easy to learn coming from Grade 7 into my first advanced piece, and my sight reading is terrible.

I found the fingering on Magnetic Rag to be a little harder, and am having much difficulty with reading the bassline of Nocturne op 9, even though I find it easy to play as well.

I meant in terms of reading when I said easy, not in terms of difficulty, but it is going to take me a very long time to learn the rest of my pieces frown.

I highly recommend this piece for the Grade 7 to Grade 8 transition, and it really helped to strengthen my hands.

Joplin -

The Entertainer
Stoptime Rag
Pineapple Rag
The Chrysanthemum
Reflection Rag

#1171260 - 03/30/09 08:58 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: Bhav]

Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

I meant in terms of reading when I said easy, not in terms of difficulty, but it is going to take me a very long time to learn the rest of my pieces frown.

OK, but a piece's difficulty is not normally decided based on how easy it is to sight read.

#1171355 - 03/30/09 11:27 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: David Ramezani]
john gill Offline

Hello David,

The piano roll of Maple Leaf Rag is the roll issued by QRS.
This is certainly (contrary to what the label says) Not Scott Joplin's playing. This roll appears to be taken from the roll issued as 'Connorized 10265' The left hand in the qrs roll is as played by Joplin on the Connorized but the right hand has been "swung" to give a jazzy effect.
The Connorized roll can be heard as issued on the Biograph record label. The same album also has a second version of what may or may not be Joplin's playing. This other roll was supposedly recorde by Joplin a few monthe after the first and clearly displays either a poorly cut roll or as is thought more likely a distressingly sad exposition of the deterioration of Joplin's playong as he became more ill with
tertiary syphilis.
Hope this is of interest to any of you who are into Ragtime

yours in harmony
John Gill

#1171362 - 03/30/09 11:43 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: hv]
john gill Offline

Hi Howard
Yes that is I with the side walk blues. Feel reef to contact on
johngillpianoman@iinet,net.au

May be at Sacramento for the festival around thanksgiving this year

Yours in harmony
John Gill

#1171371 - 03/30/09 12:21 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: john gill]
dglo Offline

Loc: New York
Oh my goodness, I think I'll be flamed for this, but I've always used the sustain pedal in the Joplin rags (The Entertainer, The Easy Winners, Weeping Willow). True, I use it very sparingly, very lightly, and never hold it down past each measure. But I think it would sound awful (at least the way I play it) without some pedal. The biggest fallacy about the Joplin rags is that they are played way too fast. Joplin's notes always say, not too fast. For whatever it's worth, I think the rags are beautiful and several famous artists, including James Levine, have recorded them. I think the easiest one to learn is The Entertainer because it's in C-major, so half the battle is already won. I think the prettiest is Weeping Willow. I'm actually not that fond of Easy Winners; I don't know why I spent so much time learning it. The Maple Leaf just never hit me as something I'd want to learn, but to each his own.

#1172113 - 03/31/09 03:19 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: dglo]
BJones Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dglo
because it's in C-major, so half the battle is already won.

I'll never understand why most pianists think pieces in the key of C are a blessing. The keys of Db, Gb, and B offer a key-terrain topography that is far better suited to executing easily because the scales fit the natural shape of the hand (the three long fingers on the shorter black keys, and the shorter thumb and pinky on the long keys). The hand can maintain the same shape, without much in and out undulation as the hand moves the fingers from position to position.

Cool School Chopin:

Improvisations:

#1172199 - 03/31/09 05:58 PM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: BJones]

Originally Posted By: BJones
Originally Posted By: dglo
because it's in C-major, so half the battle is already won.

I'll never understand why most pianists think pieces in the key of C are a blessing.

Frankly, it's obvious why.

Most pianists, before they reach a certain level, find lots of sharps or flats difficult. Imagine playing a piece where the key signature changed each measure and the sharps or flats weren't arranged in the standard way. I would guess a beginner would feel something like that when playing a piece with lots of sharps or flats in the key signature.

Most pianists beyond a certain level don't have that difficulty so that ease of execution becomes paramount.

That's why there are probably no "beginner pieces" in G flat.

#1172438 - 04/01/09 05:50 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: pianoloverus]
AD Offline

Who was it first said "You can never have enough flats"?

I confess, it's far more fun to let rip than play MLRag as purists would have you do in slower strict tempo. Half-pedal the third section like I imagine Fats might do.
You have to enjoy your hobby.
And love is a thing that can never go wrong,
And I am Marie of Romania.

#1172496 - 04/01/09 08:44 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: AD]

Originally Posted By: AD

I confess, it's far more fun to let rip than play MLRag as purists would have you do in slower strict tempo. Half-pedal the third section like I imagine Fats might do.
You have to enjoy your hobby.

Not only is it more fun, but if look at my earlier post in this thread(or maybe another MLR thread?) you'll hear on Yutube that most of the best stride/ragtime pianists, including those who have won piano competitions, play it quite fast.

Here is a good tempo and performance IMHO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RISjp-d38-0

Edited by pianoloverus (04/01/09 08:51 AM)

#1172497 - 04/01/09 08:45 AM Re: Would you pedal the 'Maple Leaf Rag'? [Re: AD]
dglo Offline

Loc: New York
Well, yeah, that's exactly why I like Joplin in C-major -- I'm not technically proficient enough to rip through a piece with umpteen sharps and flats!! I enjoy various key signatures in slower pieces, but playing Easy Winners in a fast tempo with all those flats just causes me to make a lot of mistakes. Since I'm already in my 50s, I guess I'll never reach 'a certain level.'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
153 registered (ajames, 36251, *windowlicker*, 51 invisible), 1596 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75885 Members
42 Forums
156805 Topics
2304052 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg
by bagatelle
08/20/14 12:25 PM
Record and Playback to-and-from Disklavier DKC55?
by dhilderbrand
08/20/14 12:12 PM
Looking for an Android App....
by Ohio_Mark
08/20/14 09:17 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 02:00 AM
Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
by kobethuy
08/20/14 01:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission