Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
127 registered (36251, Al LaPorte, 43 invisible), 1644 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Forum Stats
76982 Members
42 Forums
159227 Topics
2339017 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Topic Options
#1169015 - 03/26/09 06:25 AM Kawai RX 6 stability
Deon van aswegen Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi all

Following up on the recent thread by paino_mike, and some problems experienced with my RX6, in which I promised to report back, here is the latest.

The piano finally received its tuning, voicing and regulation a week ago, and it has been stable ever since. It is simply a different instrument altogether, now displaying the qualities that I fell in love with when I bought it.

However, there is some caution. In our damp climate, the dammp chaser is not very effective, at regulating the climatics inside the paino. Rust has already appeared on the strings, after 8 months. The technician as also advised against the string cover, as it may attract moisture under same, which may have lead to the strings starting to form rust.

I have also been advised to invest in a dehumidifier, which will keep humidity levels in the room stable, at around 50%.

That is the sum total of comments from the technician, and all that I can do is to follow his advice, and trust that any further problems with the instrument will be avoided in future.

Needless to say, i am a little bit annoyed at the string cover which was sold to me under the premise that it would avoid the strings from rusting. This has proved to be ill advised.

Apart from all this, my instrument is a joy. Remakable in it's tonal balance, and the range of expression is superb. Bass is now strong and growly, and the tenor beautifully balanced and expressive. After some voicing to the treble, to make it brighter, it sparkles and even shimmers.

Thank you for all your advice. Just shows what happens when a piano is tended by a competent technician. Thank you James Webster....

Kind regards

Deon

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#1169043 - 03/26/09 07:58 AM Re: Kawai RX 6 stability [Re: Deon van aswegen]
David Jenson Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
As a general rule, and experienced local technician who knows the climate can give better advice on piano care than people out of the area. The local tech sees a whole lot of pianos in your specific situation and gives advice based on that. I'd give it a lot of weight.
-----

#1169061 - 03/26/09 08:31 AM Re: Kawai RX 6 stability [Re: David Jenson]
eightyeight_keys Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
That is great news. I was sure your RX6 would be a gem after a good tuning, regulation and voicing. After all, it IS a big piano with a decent size bass string, so there should be minimal issues with bass. Or if there was, they can be fixed, unlike smaller pianos where the bass can be an issue.

Glad that the RX6 is great now! It is an awesome piano! I am probably changing my RX2 for a larger RX6 or RX7. Depending on the deal offered by my dealer. It is in the negotiation stages right now.

The point here is the importance of having the piano set up right in order to get the maximum beauty and performance from it.

Great news! I just love the Kawai RX pianos.

Enjoy your piano now and practice hard!
Yamaha W7 Synthesizer
Roland E09W Interactive Arranger

#1169112 - 03/26/09 10:18 AM Re: Kawai RX 6 stability [Re: eightyeight_keys]
RonTuner Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicagoland
I'd like to add that in humid environments, to create a stable micro-climate inside the piano, it is best to isolate the insides of the piano from the room. That is done with a full undercover and string cover. (That is without a room dehumidifier) Solving the problem in the room is a more solid fix...

Another thought - when dealing with high humidity situations, it is common to need to add more power to the "drying" side of the system. A quick check is to plug in an analog electric clock with the drying bar and see how much it cycles off over a day or two. (by seeing how much time is lost in the clock) If the drying side never switches off, the system is underpowered. It is designed to cycle back and forth between humidifying and dehumidifying to be most stable. Additional drying bars would then be needed to adapt to the room climate.

Ron Koval

my piano videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=drwoodwind

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Box.com - account & all files deleted
by pv88
11/20/14 10:22 PM
Shoninger Upright pianos
by JMichaelWilson
11/20/14 09:19 PM
How can a piano tech ...
by pianoloverus
11/20/14 07:02 PM
Keeping cats away from piano?
by DeadPoets
11/20/14 07:00 PM
What music do play for your partner/husband/wife
/sweetie?

by Johan B
11/20/14 04:51 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission