Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1168787 - 03/25/09 06:14 PM Hamburg vs. New York Steinway
DrJ Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I am new to Piano World discussions, so this topic may have already been discussed. I did some searching, but this is a very large forum, so I may have missed prior postings.

I was wondering if someone can tell me briefly what the differences are between a Hamburg Steinway (which many pianists seem to prefer) and a New York built piano? Aren't the basic scale designs and action the same? Is it the wood? The quality control and craftsmanship? What?

I recently purchased a magnificent art case Steinway "B" in polished rosewood designed by J.B. Tiffany and signed on the plate by Henry Z. Steinway. It is about 10 years old, built in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of Steinway. Only a few of these limited edition pianos were made. This instrument definitely sounds and responds more like the Hamburg models I've played and I'm not sure why. I assume it was manufactured in New York. I am a pianist, not a technician, so any help or insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wayne Johnson, Seattle

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1168820 - 03/25/09 07:45 PM Re: Hamburg vs. New York Steinway [Re: DrJ]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Hamburg - hammers are hard to start and are voiced down

NY - Hammers are soft to start and voiced up

Hamburg - has adjustable music rack angle

NY - Non-adjustable music rack (this peeves some artists BTW)

Hamburg - Renner action parts and hammers

NY - Steinway action parts and hammers

Hamburg - curved fall board front and matching cabinet (curved)

NY - Hinged fallboard front and matching cabinet (square angle)

Both are high quality instruments.

#1168916 - 03/25/09 11:30 PM Re: Hamburg vs. New York Steinway [Re: Bob]
88Key_PianoPlayer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: El Cajon, CA
I generally haven't liked most of the new (NY) Steinways I've played. Maybe I just need to play some Hamburgs before I write S&S off completely.
1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.

#1168923 - 03/25/09 11:44 PM Re: Hamburg vs. New York Steinway [Re: 88Key_PianoPlayer]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: 88Key_PianoPlayer
I generally haven't liked most of the new (NY) Steinways I've played. Maybe I just need to play some Hamburgs before I write S&S off completely.

No, you need to find some NY's that have been prepped. smile

#1168990 - 03/26/09 04:30 AM Re: Hamburg vs. New York Steinway [Re: Horowitzian]
Gregor Offline

Loc: Münster, Germany
Originally Posted By: Horowitzian

No, you need to find some NY's that have been prepped. smile

This could be a difference, too. It´s hard to imagine that a Steinway in a German piano store is poorly prepped. This could be due to two reasons: either the pianos leave the Hamburg factory in a better state than the NY factory or German dealers put more effort in it than USA dealers.

I don´t know the policy of NY Steinway, but here in Germany it´s not so easy to become a Steinway dealer. Usualy they choose big stores with some tradition in piano business and with own workshops including masters and apprentices. That means that the dealer is not only a salesman but also a technician. When I read the postings in this forum it seems to me that many dealers in the USA (in general, not Steinway) are just salesmen but no technicians. This is not very common here in Germany.

Gregor

#1169006 - 03/26/09 06:06 AM Re: Hamburg vs. New York Steinway [Re: Gregor]
88Key_PianoPlayer Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: El Cajon, CA
That's what I was thinking... most of the NY pianos I've played haven't been prepped. I've listened to some good quality recordings of professionally-produced CDs, and the NY Ds I've played sound NOTHING like them. I've even played 7-foot pianos from lesser quality brands that sounded noticeably better in the bass! What gives? (FYI I like a powerful tone rich in upper harmonics. For example, briefly switching to uprights, my favorite studio uprights are the 1950s Baldwin Hamiltons.) I've heard recordings of grands that had a similar tone that had abuntant upper harmonics - almost like a crashing fortissimo if you want to call it that. All the Steinways I've played by comparison sounded like there was a moving blanket between the hammers and strings, and the bass sounded rather thin, with not as much audible fundamental like a Bosendorfer would have. Have I just been going to all the wrong Steinway dealers?
1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.

#1169126 - 03/26/09 10:33 AM Re: Hamburg vs. New York Steinway [Re: 88Key_PianoPlayer]
Keith Roberts Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Murphys, Ca
First, a piano has to be played for the hammers to develop. Then you do the voicing when it gets to it's home. Sure you can voice it for the showroom floor but can you reverse it if the venue requires it? The way NY hammers are voiced (and made, they are not Renners) is not the same as Hamburg.

Plucking the strings reveals what is really there. A guitar pick and tell the dealer what you want to do. Be sure to check sustain around C6.
Hathaway Pines,Ca

#1169200 - 03/26/09 12:03 PM Re: Hamburg vs. New York Steinway [Re: Keith Roberts]
DrJ Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks, everyone, for your comments and opinions on Hamburg vs. Steinway pianos. Most interesting! It is becoming increasingly obvious to me that in the years before I acquired it, my New York Steinway must have had a lots of TLC in terms of prepping and regular mainteinance. I never seem to fall in love with new Steinways although someday I'd love to go to Germany and try some new Hamburgs. At any rate, it seems to me that a slightly older piano can actually be better than new since it takes time for hammers to develop and for a potentially great instrument to find its unique voice and identity--sort of like coming out of adolescence.

W. Johnson, Seattle

#1169241 - 03/26/09 01:09 PM Re: Hamburg vs. New York Steinway [Re: Keith Roberts]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Keith Roberts
First, a piano has to be played for the hammers to develop. Then you do the voicing when it gets to it's home. Sure you can voice it for the showroom floor but can you reverse it if the venue requires it? The way NY hammers are voiced (and made, they are not Renners) is not the same as Hamburg.

Plucking the strings reveals what is really there. A guitar pick and tell the dealer what you want to do. Be sure to check sustain around C6.

Funny you mention the guitar pick--I did just that on the NY Steinways at the store during my search. And what you say is about the hammers developing is absolutely true. My B received some voicing in the upper register to combat the soft, muffled sound, but otherwise it was left alone. I play daily, and it sounds better every time. cool

#1169527 - 03/27/09 12:20 AM Re: Hamburg vs. New York Steinway [Re: 88Key_PianoPlayer]
Benita Rose Offline

Loc: Mansfield
I have a 1935 Steinway M which I love. I went to a Steinway showroom today and didn't like anything!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
93 registered (accordeur, Atrys, AZNpiano, Anticlock, ascc, 27 invisible), 1302 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295878 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
Today at 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
Today at 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission