2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
OP Offline
W
[font:Georgia][/font]
Hi,
I am new here, so please excuse my nontechnical descriptions. I own two pianos a Yamaha Studio (44") and a Steinway S Baby Grand. The Baby Grand was given to me and shipped 500 mile to my home. It was rebuilt with in the past 10 years and sat for a while in a showroom waiting to be sold before it came to me. When it arrived the piano tuner, who services the Yamaha, commented on the poor restoration of the Baby Grand pointing out how the wire was wrapped around the pins and cut without care. He also pointed out what he thought were other faults with the restoration. He declared it a fair piano and not a concert piano. Cosmetically, the restoration lacks too. Like I said, I got the piano for free.

I do not like the sound of this piano and prefer the Studio Yamaha sound to this Steinway. The key are the chewed up original keys, but they make the most distracting noise when played. Can this be remedied? I listened to a YouTube video of an exact model of Baby Grand I now own, and the YouTube piano sounded so much nicer. Besides being ready for its next tuning, what can I specifically ask the tuner to do about the key sounds?

Thank you for the help.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Well, you said it, there's no such thing as a free lunch. But, you got a steinway grand for free, so why are you complaining? Pony up some dough and ask your tuner what he can do about all these things you don't like. If you don't want to go for a full restoration, then come up with a short term plan that will address your concerns.

Or you could sell it, and put whatever money you get into a different piano. And buy yourself a nice lunch.

Zeno Wood, Piano Technician
Brooklyn College
W
OP Offline
W
Zeno Wood~
The piano is here to stay. I moved out of my bedroom so it had a room of its own. I now sleep in alcove off the bathroom in a house of six people.

I'm certain continued tuning will go a long way to improving the piano's current sound. It has been here almost a year and settled in a bit. I am wondering about the sound the keys make when played. The tuner I use is more of an old world tuner. He uses his ear to tune and comes with a Dr. bag filled with his tools. We've known one another for over 10 years. I trust him. I'd just like to offer some ideas to him so he can come out and fix the key sound without going back and forth to town too much. Town is 1.5 hrs. away and a rough 50 mile drive~dirt roads and mountain driving.

So, do you have any suggestions about the keys??? When played forte it is most noticeable.
Thanks,
Wildiris

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Wildiris
The tuner I use is more of an old world tuner. He uses his ear to tune and comes with a Dr. bag filled with his tools.

So THAT'S what I am. I tune aurally (by ear) and carry a bag full of tools also. laugh

I put my ear right up to the computer screen, but I still couldn't hear what your grand sounds like. Seriously, the noise could be loose parts, loose rails, or something as mundane as a pencil or ruler laying on the back of the keys. Ask your tuner what he suggests. He'll be the one who can hear it.

Last edited by David Jenson; 03/28/09 09:10 PM.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
David, you are cracking me up!!! Put my right ear to the computer screen. Good one!!!

If he's a good tuner, he'll be able to tell YOU what the problem is and could easily be offended as some are, if you attempt to tell HIM what the problem is. Describe it to him over the phone to the best of your abilities just what it sounds like and when it does it. Clicks? Rattles? Buzzes? Or whatever and let him solve it for you. All we can do is guess and listen to our computer screens from here.

For Christmas, one my my kids purchased a smaller tool kit that looks almost identical to a doctors bag for when I'm working in my college or somewhere else so I don't have to lug everything around constantly.

Last week, I was at a retirement home walking past some elderly people when one of them said, "ohhhh, looook, there goes the doctor!" As the nurse looked at me, I swung the bag around to the other side where it reads "Sears Craftsman" and she cracked up.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
'Glad you got a chuckle, Jerry. These computer thingies are pretty nifty, but you can't tell much about sounds that are described in print. Even digital sound files are problematic. Nothing beats a good set of ears, or eyes on-site to diagnose problems.

David L. Jenson
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I hear ya David and Jerry!!!!!!! Old World Doctor Bag Carryin' Tuners Unite!!!!!!

Good advice....just tell the tuner what you hear, and if he is an "old worlder" he will find it.!!! cool

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
T
T
Considering you got it for free, maybe you should hire someone reputable to rebuild it properly or perhaps regulate and restring it if required. You could end up with a very nice piano for the money invested.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'll take the free lunch though, who's buying?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Oh Rats! The title says "NO free lunch". I saw that free lunch bit and got just as excited as "old-worlder" Groot.

Maybe next time.

'Haven't heard anymore from Wildiris. Probably got put off by all this lame huma'.

David L. Jenson
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh man! I misread that one! Well, I still want the free lunch! David, you buying then?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You gotta get in line for the free lunch Jerry. In the meantime just feast upon the lamb huma...HAHAHA. When I saw David's lame huma, I read it as lamb huma...must be hungry. I'd settle for a bag lunch if no free lunch is available.

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot
David, you buying then?

Nah! I'm too cheap.

'Sorry, Ron. 'No humerous lamb sandwiches.

David L. Jenson
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Me too, guess that leaves Ron or Jurgen again!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Guess you better nibble on some Ritz crackers till July, Jerry. I owe you at least one free lunch for letting me stay in the doghouse during the Convention. I'm cheap and broke. Jurgen said he would buy the drinks, so I guess I will have to provide the lamb sandwiches.

You gonna be able to share a lamb sandwich in Grand Rapids, David?

Gosh, have we ever taken a turn from the subjeck!!! Were'nt we talking about something to do with a Steinway before we began talking about lunch?

-----------------
Ron Alexander
Piano Tuner-Technician
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
mmmmm, Lammy food. yum. Can't help it, the title made me hungry?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
J
J
Originally Posted by David Jenson
Originally Posted by Wildiris
The tuner I use is more of an old world tuner. He uses his ear to tune and comes with a Dr. bag filled with his tools.

So THAT'S what I am. I tune aurally (by ear) and carry a bag full of tools also. laugh

I put my ear right up to the computer screen, but I still couldn't hear what your grand sounds like.
Lol!!! I wanted a Doctor's bag for years....

Congrads on the freebee. This piano could be a gem in the mud. The communication between you and your piano tuner is very important. Even if you don't have the money to do a proper rebuild you can have it refurbished. Start with the biggest problems now and then little by little improve the piano till you have what you want. Maybe the piano needs new hammers or has newer hammers that were voiced poorly. Not everything has to be done at once.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ron Alexander
You gonna be able to share a lamb sandwich in Grand Rapids, David?

Naw. 'Can't make it. Ya'll will have to carry on without me.

I think Michigan is one of those states that prosecutes for practicing humor without a license so I have to be careful.

David L. Jenson
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There is no way a 44" Yamaha upright sounds "better" or plays better than a properly set up Steinway S model. Get a tech with some deep Steinway experience to regulate and voice your grand and you will never play the upright again.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission