2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22
#117136 02/01/02 02:45 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Well, let me answer that question for you Derek. Did it ever occur to you that your friend out to have been kicking his technician for sitting on his hands for 10 years and not telling him he had a problem while it was under warranty? Taking him with him to get his advice when he was buying it obviously would have been of no use, the man apparently didn't have the good sense to tell anyone what he was finding. Your friend could have bought the piano without taking his technician with him, because if the technician had been worth a dime he would have pointed it out the first time he tuned the thing and it would have been replaced under warranty.

Next, did it ever occur to you that this technician who waits 10 years to tell his client/friend he has a problem may have been making a statement that wasn't a fact? Just because he said it had had loose pins from day one doesn't mean it did. Actually, it sounds to me like it *didn't*. Either the tech is a lousy tech, or the piano didn't have a problem for nearly 10 years. If he's a lousy tech, he wouldn't have been any help in selecting a piano. If there wasn't a real problem initially which is what I believe the case to be, then he would have approved the piano on inspection and everyone would be sitting around wondering why the pins were now loose.

Third, and then I am going to ignore you because for a Phd you aren't much of a mental challenge - if your friend's technician was worth a dime, he'd already know that if the piano is only just out of warranty, just because the dealer is saying he won't do anything doesn't mean the story has ended. If it is truly a high quality piano as you say, then all he has to do is call the manufacturer. I can't think of a single manufacturer who values their reputation who would refuse to honor a major problem such as this on a piano that had only recently aged out of warranty. If your friend will ignore his lousy technician, you, and the dealer he bought it from and call the manufacturer, my guess is that when he explains the situation to them they will gladly take care of the problem to keep a happy customer. See Derek, if you do business with a prima-donna, you can get results when you need them.

#117137 02/01/02 02:58 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Steve,

I'm not surprised that Larry helped you when you were buying a piano. I have seen the best of him on this forum, as well as the worst.

Basically I'm in total agreement with your comment about professionalism. But, in my own defense, my words degraded into what this discussion has become because Larry was not professional in the earlier thread when he used the phrase "it is a silly waste of time".

The word 'silly' is significant in the sense that it is a judgemental word. Professionals are not judgemental. Nor do professionals throw people out of their store because they somehow managed to insulted them. Professionals do not assume that a customer thinks he is a crook if the customer wants a second opinion.

I'm sorry, but I do not like people who know everything, refuse to admit they've made a mistake, or acknowledge that there is another side to the coin.

The mistake I made was to call Larry on something he wrote on this forum.

Derick

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
#117138 02/01/02 03:16 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am very, very surprised that the dealer who sold this "high end" piano did not ask the manufacturer to fix the problem himself, especially one this serious. I know a few dealers of high end pianos. Very rarely a high end piano will develop a serious problem after the warranty period is over. In the instances that I am aware of, it was the dealer that contacted the manufacturer and got the problem resolved for the customer. There is something wrong with this story. It almost sounds like this was a black market piano that covered by the dealer but not by the manufacturer.

The other problem I have is the technician who continues to tune a piano can't hold a tune because of loose tuning pins, a detail he avoids telling his client. Being a Steinway snob does not even approach explaining this - either the guy is an idiot or the story is missing some significant details. I agree with Larry, it this technician didn't tell the client for 10 years about the tuning pins, he would have been no help during an in-store evaluation. I am sortof curious, though, what the real story is...

Ryan

#117139 02/01/02 03:51 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Larry,

As I said, the tech is a PPD. Anything non-Steinway is garbage. He believes in the don't ask, don't tell principle. If you don't ask him about the tuning pins, he won't tell. Why should he bother? The piano is NOT a Steinway.

Was there really a problem with the pinblock? Well my buddy had 2 other techs come in to give their assessment. They both agreed the pins were loose.

No, I did not know that a piano just out of warranty would be taken care of by the manufacturer. But, please remember, you specifically stated that one must purchase from a high-quality dealer. One, such as yourself, who has a stellar reputation. Well, this dealer does. So when my friend called, why did they not tell him to call the manufacturer, or call them for him? Apparently buying a piano from a dealer with a stellar reputation is NOT enough. Unless, as you said, you buy from a dealer who is a PPD. But then you have to worry about saying something that might insult him. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

To replace this piano at today's cost would be around $70K. Junk is not sold at that price, its praises have been sung repeatedly on this forum (even by you if I remember correctly). I think it is safe to say it is a high-quality piano.

My PHD is in Electrical Engineering. My dissertation work focused on fabrication, characterization and numerical simulation of compound semiconductor field-effect transistors. Quite a mouthful, ain't it? Bet your surpised I can even say it. Good thing I've got the plaque on the wall (from MIT) to refresh my memory. Now what was that you were saying about mental challenges?

Derick

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
#117140 02/01/02 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Derick:
My dissertation work focused on fabrication

You're making it way too easy for Larry here! smile

wgh
#117141 02/01/02 04:17 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Haha, you're right! I didn't even think of it that context.

Derick

#117142 02/01/02 05:16 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Larry:[ and "TO WHOM IT MAY APPLY"]

CONGRATULATIONS to another FORUM CLASSIC!!!!

[With your *anticipated* permission,I have it
printed, framed and HUNG ON MY STORE WALLS!!]

In addition, I'll be happy to pay you royalties for public display in what can only be called a....

"DECLARATION OF COMMON SENSE,insight and pledge of INTEGRITY in the piano business"!!

Now, some of your readers here, don't understand such language. For whatever reason
their life experience,mother's teachings or rawness of cultural-ethical [business?] background, suspect the DEVIL INCARNATE to follow their each and every footstep in life.

Including when buying a milkshake at Wendy's.

Strongly suspect,they're hiding [as usual!] behind convenient aliases and false names of sorts.

Because they're at least intelligent enough to also recognize the obvious danger of looking a little 'stupid' to come out swinging [from nowhere] and talking sheer nonsense.

Which, even [especially?] in the case of a
supposed PhD...is a forgiving mistake.

At least we all know it's not a PhD in music,
piano making, spelling [PHD??] or -
God forbid......... COMMON SENSE!

[Remember I said "TO WHOM IT MAY APPLY"!]

Norbert Marten
www.heritagepianos.com

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: Norbert ]

#117143 02/01/02 06:01 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Dear Norbert,

smile

#117144 02/01/02 06:23 PM
S
swb Offline
S
Norbert is right on target about one thing. The problem here is INTEGRITY in the piano business. Larry may well be an ethical retailer, but the real reason someone comes into his store with a tech, demanding to inspect that new, high-quality piano is all of the other, low-integrity dealers who lie, twist, etc..., so that the average buyer has no idea which end is up. It's hardly a problem confined to piano sales (I know this - I'm a lawyer!!) It's insulting to the ethical business person to be mistrusted because of the proliferation on unethical people in the field. But, until businesses like piano sale (and law) can squeeze out these people, those of us who try to run an honest shop will always have to endure dealing with customers who insist we earn their trust (and even then, may not really trust us).

Fortunately, the little spat here shows what's great aboutAmerica. If you don't like how Larry, or anyone else does business, go somewhere else. And Larry has a perfect right to run his business as he sees fit. If he's not doing it right, he won't have customers. Which gets back to the original issue about Yamaha. Some people may think Yamaha is overpriced for the product. But as long as there are customers out there who will pay for their pianos, I expect they'll keep making them the way they do and charging the prices they can get.

SWB
#117145 02/01/02 06:43 PM
Hey Penny, scratch my former post your right but really there are only a few affordable high quality verticals in mass of medium quality models)!!! Thanks jolly you rock!!! Too bad my bank account doesn't increase along with the quality of finer pianos. LOL

Hey Larry, If I end up having to get a used "Yamaha" vertical could I haul down from Indiana to you in the summer for some extra regulation stuff? I know you'll want to do some special action work on it wink .

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't have the nerve to bring another tech into someone else's shop. As far as manners go, I think it's rude. If it's a very expensive used piano then I could understand it. If it's new make sure you can trust the dealer/brand to honor the warranty. I wouldn't do it to ya' Larry, Rich, Steve C., Hank, Norbert etc... I think it's poor manners to do something like that. If your that distrustful buy the piano from someone else.

Freddie

"The best thing about being a bachelor is that you can get into bed from either side" - James Dean
#117146 02/01/02 06:43 PM
Jolly Offline OP
OP Offline
SWB,

Only a lawyer (and probably a good one at that) could have made a salutory synopsis and in the last couple of sentences put this choo-choo back on track!

Congratulations! laugh

[ February 01, 2002: Message edited by: Jolly ]

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
#117147 02/01/02 06:56 PM
Fantastic!

Common sense restored.

[P.S. I'm glad to see not everybody here suffers from PHD,PhD,phd,pHd..or whatever..]

Norbert Marten
www.heritagepianos.com

#117148 02/01/02 07:54 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I agree with Jolly, SWB. That was a very well written post.

#117149 02/01/02 08:30 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Norbert, if you had any common sense you'd take a remedial English class. You need one. PHD -> PPD, rather than PhD. Get it? Probably not.

Have no fear Freddie, I wouldn't touch a piano from Norbert or Larry with a 10 foot pole. But I most definitely would buy one from Rich or Hank who are true professionals. But thanks for telling me to buy my piano somewhere else anyway. Now go wipe off your brown nose.

Try and behave boys, I've got real work to do. Aren't there a couple of pianos that need to be polished???

Derick

#117150 02/01/02 08:42 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
And this from the Phd who tried to base his argument on what "professionalism" is.

Sniff.

#117151 02/01/02 09:12 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm not taking sides, really, but when someone gets picky about spelling, I, the editor without a Phd, have to speak up. It's judgmental, for goodness' sake! No E after the G!

Thank you,
penny
wink

#117152 02/01/02 09:14 PM
"To whom it may apply"

Defendant confirms identity.

No further questions, Your Honour.

P.S. I got my own PhD in 1986.
Without remedial English classes.
If it's important for anyone to know.

Norbert Marten
www.heritagepianos.com

#117153 02/01/02 09:32 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Norbert,
You didn't use the word "judgemental!" And, despite your lack of spacing (which I suspect is more of a computer problem than a mental hiccup), your use of "whom" is heartening! I thought only I and my 7-year-old knew its proper use.

Now, if you say "presently" to mean "soon" and not "currently," I may have to ditch a certain dark and handsome husband!

penny laugh

#117154 02/01/02 09:40 PM
Penny:

...NOT to ditch a certain and handsome husband....

...has an everyday equivalent I was told....

..when I sang while playing piano at bars...

...NOT to quit ....my daytime job.

[P.S... I didn't!]

Norbert Marten
www.heritagepianos.com

#117155 02/01/02 09:40 PM
What...?????

Just to set the record straight I like everyone that comes to this forum at this present time. I said I like Larry, Norbert, Steve C., Rich, etc.. and I meant it.

Freddie

"The best thing about being a bachelor is that you can get into bed from either side" - James Dean
Page 4 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission