2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1171836 03/31/09 04:36 AM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
I would be interested to know how you teachers deal with piano recitals. I frequently do solo recitals or duo-recitals. I recently did a duo-recital and was so boring to me even as a performer, I felt that the crowd atmosphere seemed to be not understanding of the classical genre and the quality of emceeing was apauling.

I have been to some competitions where the atmopshere is tense more than 'fun' it is awkard, parents come for the sake of their children and it doesn't make it easier for the audience or the performer.

The best way to get people listening (and this applied to all genres in my opinion) is in the emceeing as it gets the crowd going, I have thrown jokes, some absurd, some witty, some lame and some just outright stupid. Other times I would have certain people in the audience to rate me jokingly and I would soak it all up as a Diva even of a person would say 1/10 (they say it kiddingly).

Any input? I feel passionate about this topic.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Unless you're the organizer yes, they're boring. I have teachers invite me to their recitals. Why would you want to go hear some can do performance when, in London anyway, the finest are on show?

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I find the key is not to make them too long. I used to do large scale recitals for all my students (as well as my wifes) and they did go on a bit. Now we offer smaller recitals but more often. It's fine to have maybe 10 or 12 kids perform a few short pieces in under an hour. Parents prefer this as well because, let's face it, they are interested in hearing their own child play. You need to get the programme right as well. Mix the styles up a bit. Too many similar items do get boring.

Pianist and piano teacher.
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
Is it usual for parents to mingle with each other? Sometimes I think that if the occassion is more casual (even though classical is raelly intended to be formal) there would be a difference. KBK is right, I thought I was being a 'rebel' for stating my annoyances with these recitals. I think that Emceeing is a great thing, if the Emcee has chrisma and can converse it would make a big difference and a great impact on the parents and students. I also think ... its not wrong to pull off a Victor Borge at the end of the show, I did that a few times when I make mistakes especially and when they are fairly obvious, I will repeat them or claer my throat if I am singing and make it seem like a 'diva in the spotlight moment'. But you are right, a varied program is the key and a short one too.

Another thing, I think if teachers did unite and congregate with other music teachers of other instruments it would be dynamic and exciting. Imagine that a violin student accompanied by a piano student, a chamber ensemble, perhaps I am a little bit too idealistic but what do teachers say?

I'm assuming we're talking about student recitals - if that's the case, then I try to do the following:

1) Have a theme. I don't do anything wild or silly, I just try to have some kind of unifying idea for the recital. Something geographic, like a recital of All-American music or a travelogue across the world. We also do holiday themed recitals for Halloween and Christmas, and one of our recitals is a contest warm-up. (I do 3-5 recitals a year with my students.)

2) Have a reception. There has to be mingling and food. Part of student recitals is getting to know people - both on stage and off.

3) Make it short. 60 minutes, including opening and closing remarks, and keep things moving. Student recitals are like radio in this way. Dead air means losing the audience. More than 30 seconds between performers and the yawns begin.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
We did indeed have the mingling-with-food aspect. Overwhelmingly parents would tell of the weeks before, the butterflies, and "wow, she made it in front of all those people" while the child sat tall with glowing eyes. Other parents nodded, and could relate. The main concern was that the student had been safe while taking the risk, and had emerged unscathed on the other side.

There is a hidden drama in student recitals which makes them as exciting as when you watch a baby take its first steps - though watching someone walk is normally a boring thing. The audience consists primarily of family members and friends. They relate to all students because of the one student they know. Collectively the whole audience holds its breath for each performer - it's like a group-embrace. We all know that the person out there is learning to do something unfamiliar. As parent perhaps one is sensitive to that. As both parent and student one experiences what is happening out there on even more levels. With the newer ones, you can relive what you had once done, and the advanced one, where you might be one day.

The most gratifying thing for me as a student is when a woman came up to me and said, "When you play the second time, I intend to close my eyes."

Rebekah, we did indeed have a mix of two instruments. Two teachers combined for the recitals. To make them short enough, the were broken into two sets with the refreshment in between like an interlude while one set left and the other came. Some people stayed for both sets, and occasionally there was a special entertainment performance that went into both sets of recitals.

Some of us also stayed behind to help with washing up and packing away of leftovers. We got to know parents and fellow students that way. My memory of recitals is rather positive.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I am assuming too, that you are commenting about teacher hosted student recitals - beginners on up.

If recitals bore you, what are the options?

1) No recitals at all. (Out of the question!)

2) Give the recital even though you might not be able to predict the enjoyment level in advance. (Give up control. This represents progress to date. No one is off the hook just because they are not as prepared as you would like.)

3) Give the recital even though you know there will be rocky moments. (Don't react, don't judge, let them experience the consequences.

4) Groom and insist on good work, pressure, accuracy, sparkling students. Only the best!

There is lots in the archives here about piano recitals in the teachers forum. You'll be reading all day and night it you read it all. (Search).

You have a sense of humor, you're adaptive by the stories you've told, that should play a small role in your emcee-ing. Plan ahead so that you don't interject too much. Let the audience find their enjoyment and opinions. Think positive!

Speak highly of your students, you will create the possibility for them to believe in themselves. Encourage, encourage, encourage them.

Take videos - they tell the truth of what really happened that day at that time with each students. Be nonintrusive with the camera. You won't have to say much when the student sees the video for the first time. It's the second viewing that will allow you both to communicate what you want to say to them, and find out what their "take" on their role in the program means to them.

I've used balloons, flowers, table linen on round tables with 8 seats for refreshment (not always, but sometimes).

You can build recitals to be the best! They don't just happen that way!

Boring is a state of mind.
Don't let it happen to you and your students!

A recital's possibility is in the music you chose to teach this quarter/semester. Does it overall add up to a musical content showing the student's best work along with his or her enjoyment of the piece? Or, does the music show dullness and boredom or incompleteness with finishing the task? Choose appropriate and better music for lesson content and you've got a good start for a successful program.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I try to give my students as many performance opportunities as possible throughout the year. As a result, a group of teachers, part of our association, put on 3 themed recitals through the year. These run 40 - 45 min ea, usually 3 a weekend.

Additionally, I put on a student recital for my own students. I particularly like Kreisler's advice here. There needs to be a social time following the performing.

Finally, I encourage (and generally get a few takers each year) students to put on "House Recitals" of their own. This is when they play a recital for their friends and family preferably in their own home. They are encouraged to make a party of it, have printed programs, and present 20 or so of their short pieces, logically grouped together in thematic clusters.

I personally have seldom enjoyed MCs at recitals or concerts. Generally, I wish they'd just shut up and let's get on with the music, but not everyone feels this way. But my advice to those of you who like to ramble on as MC is remember, there are those in your audience who feel as I do, and just can't wait for you to get off the stage and let the kids perform!

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I never find piano recitals boring. I'm always interested to see the technical progress of the students as well as their improvement in musicality, and I enjoy recitals with sufficiently advanced students that I am able to hear pleasurable repertoire (as opposed to pieces from "method" books). I think an "emcee" is completely unnecessary and a waste of the audience's time - I don't want to hear jokes and babble, I want to hear piano.

SantaFe_Player
Heels down, and tickle the bit.
J
J
There are two sides of student piano recitals and I've been on both sides.

For the first part, as a performer, they're essential for all of the obvious reasons: exposure to performance pressure - which you can actually control if given enough practice; also they serve as an outlet to show others what you've been working on for so long. And I really like hearing the incredible performances of my fellow peers.

My teacher has regular performance classes once a month with perhaps five or six students at a time - and at similar levels - to develop skills in performing in front of each other. I find them invaluable. We are taught everything from a proper entrance and exit, bowing to the audience, announcing what we're performing (there's no MC), recovering from errors - that kind of thing. She also has a large student recital at the end of the year where all of her students gather in one place. This tends to be a long night as most of the pieces played are substantial ones - Sonatas, Concertos and the like. And she always has a feast of (home prepared) food at the end! Wow - it's a fun night! And the student group works very hard to make it a successful night by being properly prepared!

Recently, I've attended other teacher's recitals out of interest. I've found a disturbing practice there, though. Too often parents (I guess) leave as soon as their child has performed! I think this is very ill-mannered and certainly doesn't happen with my teacher. I know that there are a lot of beginner pianists at these recitals (some are my friends too, which is one of the reasons that I go); however, I still find this 'listen to the kid and then bolt' philosophy in very bad taste.

So - no - I don't find them boring at all. Recall that I'm still quite young and so, perhaps, I have more patience than an older person.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You mentioned about parents leaving when their child has performed. It is extremely rude, but happening more and more. One way for teachers to get around this is not to have the children go sit with family following performance, but with other students in the front. This also expedites handing out certificates, awards, etc.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
In my studio, the rule is: if you are performing, you must agree to come and stay thru the entire event including refreshments and socialization. No one boogies out after their play. The idea is that we are all a supportive unit within the studio so that we can encourage and support all students. The recital is a learning experience and I expect students and families there from beginning to end. I also sometimes expect those who are not playing to come and learn from being a member of the audience aspect.

You don't just dip in and dip out again with me.

The other annoying thing is that parents ask if their child can play first or last because they have another engagement. Make a choice then. I hate having names on the program and then they aren't there for the program because something came up. Right!

No one does these things to me anymore. They used to, but I'm rather convincing and hold to my rules. Since when were recitals optional?

Betty Patnude

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yes!

M
M
As I teach more than one instrument, I mix up the students in instrument and level. I feel especially for my piano students it is important to encourage them to think orchestrally (since my husband and I play chamber and orchestra music), and building a sound concept for learning another instrument when some of those piano students are older (and one soon-to-be 9 year piano student (he has been with me since he was 5) has asked to try clarinet, though he has a great ear (can read well too) and I was encouraging him to learn a brass instrument, since for brass and strings it's important to have a good ear. I also combine my student concerts with my husband, and the last 3 or 4, where we've had studnts at the Royal Conservatory of Music Grade 8 and above (both instruments), we've put on quite a show.

My studnt concerts are about an hour long after you factor everything but the refreshments, about 40 minutes of playing (ensembles and solos), handing out of the participation certificates, and door prizes.

Meri

Last edited by musiclady; 03/31/09 06:24 PM. Reason: add

Clarinet and Piano Teacher based out of Toronto, Canada.Web: http://donmillsmusicstudio.weebly.com
I guess eventually almost everything bores people. It's like doctors: the first appendectomy is definitely heart throbbing but the 100th is just boring. Always the same, stuff, you fell you can do it in your sleep. Same goes for driver's license, the first time you are alone on the road is thrilling, after that it usually will get boring. I guess it applies for recitals.

By the rivers of alcohol..
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ah yes,....

Certificates and Door Prizes! That'll get them to stay!!!

I forgot about those. Students love certificates.

What do you give certificates for?

Does anyone have a guest performer?

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
S
S
Recitals are very important:

They allow the parents to take part in their childrens lives and goals.
They also are an excellent venue in promoting your teaching vocation.
It also gives the teacher the opportunity to play for their audience. Which also makes certain you practice what you preach.

I have treat bags for the children and a door prize for the parents.
I also have a quick Music History Quiz at the end of the recital for even more prizes. (thank goodness for Dollar Stores)

History is always an important part of any study and the children love it.

It's always pot luck but parents are to prepare their best recipe. Proud parents this way get to show off their home made cooking and share recipes. This makes for alot of eating and talking. My recitals have never been under 2 hours long and not less than 70 persons, 130 being the most.

Last year I brought in 150 cupcakes and white frosting with tubes upon tubes of food colouring and icing paint and a selection of sprinkles and the children decorated their own cupcakes, it was a mess, but what a riot. Parents took pictures of their creations and some have been framed and placed on walls, pianos and fridges.

Students also have the opportunity at all recitals to preform anything else they wish. Dance, Singing,Stand Up Comedy.
The audience eats this stuff up. So fun! Don't ask about our own 8 year old impersonator. We were all crying from the laughter, she was excellent.

Also don't forget that your position is to teach, so don't let recitals stop you. Along with the program, I have always put in an intersting page about music. Last year it was the Guidonian hand, before that a table of Composers birth dates to see if anyone had the same day. I still find these hanging around piano benches, again promotional and everyone loves to see their names on a program, a keep sake, so make them pretty.

The worse thing you can do is not have one.
The second worse is not asking parents for help before and after your recital. Pass out programs, set table cloths, set up the micro phone. When everyone is busy doing something, there is more static in the air and the room starts to fill with excitement. One huge Town Hall had it's chairs all stacked up, their were 95 people coming and the men went to work in good faith, the noise from those chairs made such a racket that people started talking over the din. Then the kitchen tables in the other corner were being set up by the women. Than the children were running around making great thumping sounds. What an audio overload, but it was perfect. Best concert we had. I played Bach Prelude and Fugue in C- and during it a parade was coming down the street and oh what great accompaniment!
Problems work in your favor, the more chaos the better the recital the better the attention.

Always teach each student to bow and fix their bench and have their music ready or memorized.

Nervous or scared? No problem, all my students have the option to bow out at the last second. It's happened a couple of times, no problem. And that's in oh how many 20 recitals in 12 years.
One who bowed out went and played while we were all eating, and actually had to be pulled away to go home. See, all in good time.

Also look for different venues if you can. We had the opportunity at an amazingly low rate to play in a Town Hall on a 9 foot Steinway. What a treat. What a day, fun fun, loved it.

Pictures and video, invite it. Bask in it, have other pictures from other recitals on a big board for people to admire.

Lighting and Microphone, have a spot light if possible.

Dates for recitals, email or hand out forms with 3 dates for the best recital time for parents schedules. Life is busy, make sure you have the most students availalble for your date. Then make arragements.

Formal recital.. Always, formal, dress code matches 007.
The more they prepare for the event, the more they will know how important their acheivements suddenly come to fruition. Besides they love it and pictures look fantastic.

My idea this year is Oscar night, with taped interviews and the back screen full of someones logo, who will give me treats for promoting them. Then their will be Oscar trophies and winning speaches. Yes we'll all be famous stars that night. Just need to find the right venue. Mmmm..

If your don't know what to do, and this works, I've done it.
Ask the children and the parents what would be cool, inventive or add knowledge. I still use their ideas. We all do better if we share.

Good Luck and enjoy it all. As my sister always asks me.
What's the firecracker up your A$$ today Miss Laura?

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Fabulous, Surendipity!

Only now I'm exhausted, and I only read about it! laugh

Du holde Kunst...
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Our teacher has an awards ceremony and snacks (brought by parents) with recitals before and after that feature different students. So there would be a recital from 10-10:45, awards and snacks from 10:45-11:30, then a recital from 11:30-12:15. She lets anyone who has a preference choose which recital they need to accomodate their schedule, then she fills in with the kids that don't have a conflict. It seems to keep people from leaving early to go elsewhere.

Nancy

Estonia 168
M
M
I pass out any awards students may have earned going to State WMTA, and I also participate in the MTNA Music Study Awards and for those who are on the off years (the music study awards students for every 2 years of study) then they get a participation certificate. I pass them out at the end of the program. Since I do collaborative stuff, my recitals aren't as long since students are doubling or tripling up on a piece. I always ask parents to bring a treat, and I provide the punch. Most of them hang around for a bit to chat with one another. The kids know one another from group lessons and of course practicing with each other for the recital, so most of them don't duck out. In fact, I don't recall the last time a family left once their child finished playing.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission