Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1173545 - 04/02/09 10:37 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: TX-Dennis]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By: TX-Dennis
Hmm . . . are you certain? I always thought Anonymous was more recent than the 16th century. cool Nice job.
Dennis, thanks for your kind words. And, strangely, Anonymous lived an incredibly long life. His work first appears in the 11th or 12th century and he continues to be active up until this very day. Now, it may be that the family tradition is to only use one name in which case there may be one or more active descendant writing music -- certainly the number of styles in which Anonymous wrote/writes is exceptionally broad and varied and that would be an explanation.

Ed

YouTube Channel

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1173547 - 04/02/09 10:40 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Riddler]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Riddler
Angelo, hey, I really love that song, and you certainly did it justice with that laid-back, thoughtful performance. Well done.

Ed (EPF), that certainly has a medieval sound to it, like an ancient folk tune. Very nicely played, very smooth.

John, very pretty indeed. Your right-left hand coordination is impressive here.

Bill, very apropos! I always liked that song - the tune, the hopeful spirit. And you could have fooled me with that video editing trickery! Well done.

My piece this month is Blue Moon, featuring "Viv", my lovely Virtual Vocalist. She is not too good with lyrics, and her voice won't melt your heart, but I can count on her to sing the right note at the right time, and she rarely complains. And though you can't tell from her singing, she is absolutely gorgeous! (At least, in my mind's eye she is.)

http://www.box.net/shared/m9tqdet3ud

By way of explanation - - I'm trying to learn how to accompany a singer, including the art of improvising little melodies to fill the empty spaces in songs, without getting in the singer's way. I don't think I'm there yet, but making progress.

Ed

Miss Viv may be a looker, but her vocals are somewhat one-dimensional. grin The accompanist, on the other hand, did a masterful job. I disagree with your assessment. I think you are there now. This sounds wonderful!

flickr

#1173553 - 04/02/09 10:47 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peyton
I had to try the youtube-to-forum thing. It's my dad's birthday (he would have been 82 today) so I changed the song I wrote about him a little and here it is. It's called Judging Distances.

You don't look tense at all to me. Great job and I may have said this before, but that is a very poignant song.

flickr

#1173663 - 04/03/09 06:21 AM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: angelojf]
farfesa Offline

Angelojf

Good job,

Where do you guys play?

#1173847 - 04/03/09 01:51 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: angelojf]
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Oh my! Only April 3rd and already five pages of piano bar.

Here I my comments on the ones posted so far:

Angelo - Hmmm... Solitude as a duo. I'll let the contradiction slide since you guys did a great job. The bass is a little too loud though (or the piano too soft).

epf - These historical pieces are fascinating. I definitely hear similarity with Bach. A harpsichord voice would work well -- of course then you'd need to wear a sixteenth century French getup and a powdered wig to make it work on vid. Great job!

JohnFrank - Another gem by someone I've never heard of (alas, my knowledge of works without electric guitars is wanting). Nice even coordination between the hands. You captured the minuet mood well.

Bill - Very nice job! The piano, voice, and vid all came together on this piece. You are one talented guy!

Riddler - Congrats to both you and Viv, plus your excellent drummer (do he and Viv have a thing going?). Your fills around the "voice" were very smooth. An overall very professional recording.

Peyton - Another very moving composition. I agree the audio recording of the piano wasn't on par with the playing. I hope you can resolve it so the technology does justice to your talents.

Homeinmyshoes - I'm amazed by people who can produce such beautiful improvisations. I have to plan every note or I end up with horrible gaps and hesitations. Great job.

I feel like Fred Flintstone posting an MP3 with so many people now in the video age, but here is my humble attempt at the Beatles' Let It Be.

http://www.box.net/shared/2qn1s1n6ko

As usual there are a couple of mistakes and a nasty hesitation on one of the verse changes, but overall I'm satisfied considering my general beginner-ness and increasingly obvious lack of aptitude for this whole piano thingy.

#1173946 - 04/03/09 05:21 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: bluekeys]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Thanks everyone for the kind comments on my video. I had to pull it off youtube as I just wasn't pleased enough with the quality so my appologies. I really like putting my songs up on the web on box net with all their flaws and mistakes but it just seems different when it's a video on Youtube. (If I could get the video to just appear here on the forum and not on the whole damn web that would be fine.) I'm going to work at trying to tie in my recording program with my video program and maybe do a job I think is worthy of being on youtube. In the meantime it's back to boxnet... smile

Hey, I just realized you can't go back and edit old posts.... that's wierd.

bluekeys... nice job on 'Let it Be' by the way.

Edited by Peyton (04/03/09 05:28 PM)

#1173950 - 04/03/09 05:36 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: bluekeys]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
Originally Posted By: bluekeys
epf - These historical pieces are fascinating. I definitely hear similarity with Bach. A harpsichord voice would work well -- of course then you'd need to wear a sixteenth century French getup and a powdered wig to make it work on vid. Great job!
Well, thanks for the thought but the wig is absolutely out. However, here's an audio recording of the Galliard on a harpsichord.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1174157 - 04/04/09 03:56 AM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: epf]
Thorium Offline

Loc: Norway
JohnFrank: One of the few pieces I play. =) I like that you play it fairly slowly. Brings out the emotion well, which is tough with baroque pieces. The score (at least my copy) dictates Allegretto, which is what, 110-125ish? I usually play it around 120, but it's hard not to sound rushed and mechanical at that speed. Compare the Krieger with Bach's Minuet in G, which, though marked Moderato (which is more or less the same as Allegretto, right?), actually sounds livelier and more natural at a slightly higher tempo. I think it's the minor key of the Krieger minuet that makes us want to hear it Andante-ish; brings about a pensive, brooding state. It's a very pretty piece, at any rate. I hadn't heard it either, until my piano teacher gave it to me as homework.

I'll put up my own recording as soon as I get my 6.3-3.5mm jack converter.
Michael Nyman - The Heart Asks Pleasure First (great finger exercise!)

#1174164 - 04/04/09 05:13 AM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Thorium]
Thorium Offline

Right. Picked up a plug converter in the city, so here goes:
http://www.box.net/shared/7tckc47apc

Might upload the Bach minuet for comparison. Be gentle! I only started a few weeks ago.

Btw, JohnFrank, I liked your enhanced ending-repeat. Nice touch.

Edited by Thorium (04/04/09 09:39 AM)

#1174248 - 04/04/09 09:45 AM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Thorium]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

OK.... Here I go again. I got obsessed with trying to tie in my better recording gear with my video camera and I think I have it. This is a little melody I wrote about the salt marsh I have a little camp on here in Maine. I tied in some video of the marsh and the ducks and geese. I swear I'll keep this one up on youtube!

#1174338 - 04/04/09 12:24 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Thorium]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Originally Posted By: Thorium
JohnFrank: One of the few pieces I play. =) I like that you play it fairly slowly. Brings out the emotion well, which is tough with baroque pieces. The score (at least my copy) dictates Allegretto, which is what, 110-125ish? I usually play it around 120, but it's hard not to sound rushed and mechanical at that speed.

Thorium - funny you should bring this up - another poster of Baroque music here in the April Piano Bar & I just finished a lengthy, cordial and informative discussion via PMs concerning my tempo on the Krieger Minuet specifically, and the tempi of minuets in general. His version (shared in a PM) is faster than mine, but not as fast as yours. The tempo indication is Moderato in my source ("Essentail Keyboard Repertoire"). On the CD that accompanies this book the pianist plays it at a tempo somewhere between his version and mine. I recorded my version at 3 different tempi and submitted the slowest because I liked the way it sounded (bringing out the slightly dark & brooding textures of the music). Also, historically I believe the minuet, as danced, was a slow and stately dance and the music that accompanied it would have been similar. But, also as a strictly instrumental piece I believe that the typical tempo of the minuet varied quite a bit over time and from place to place. On the CD that I mentioned above are 16 minuets with a wide range of tempi probably bearing this out.

Compare the Krieger with Bach's Minuet in G, which, though marked Moderato (which is more or less the same as Allegretto, right?), actually sounds livelier and more natural at a slightly higher tempo.

If the "Minuet in G" is the very famous and frequently played one I am thinking of then please note that for the longest time it was erroneously atributed to J.S.Bach, but now a gentleman by the name of Christian Petzold is generally given credit for it's composition. Petzold also contributed other pieces to the famous "Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach".

I think it's the minor key of the Krieger minuet that makes us want to hear it Andante-ish; brings about a pensive, brooding state. It's a very pretty piece, at any rate.

I fully agree.

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1174339 - 04/04/09 12:26 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: bluekeys]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Bluekeys - I really like your tempo and chord choices. Very nice. I think you are quite apt.
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#1174359 - 04/04/09 12:42 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: TrapperJohn]
Thorium Offline

Originally Posted By: John Frank

If the "Minuet in G" is the very famous and frequently played one I am thinking of then please note that for the longest time it was erroneously atributed to J.S.Bach, but now a gentleman by the name of Christian Petzold is generally given credit for it's composition. Petzold also contributed other pieces to the famous "Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach".

I thought the jury was still out on that? I'd certainly be happy to attribute it to Mr. Petzold. =)

Originally Posted By: John Frank
His version (shared in a PM) is faster than mine, but not as fast as yours.

Yeah, mine turned out to be Allegro, around 140 bpm. I usually play it a little more slowly. I think I my tempo goes up with recording nerves! (I have insane stage fright.) Do you play the Petzold/Bach G-major one? Would be fun to compare interpretations.

#1174360 - 04/04/09 12:43 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: BillM]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Peyton - I like this video, and the piano playing smile I think it's cool that everyone's kind of taken up the visuals - didn't Lisztener start that with the slide shows? Now if we can just get someone to accompany old silent movies laugh I'd love to do that, but am not quite at par for that course yet.

bluekeys - great rendition. Nice tempo, nice syncopations, great confident touch.

epf - I love harpsichord, and that was a fine piece.

Thorium - very charming, and nice ornaments. Nice balance between the hands.

Cathy

#1174398 - 04/04/09 01:42 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: jotur]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
I'm really enjoying all the great submissions this month, especially those cool videos! Bill, I loved your playing/singing and the nostalgic look to your video with "On the Sunny Side of the Street". That's a great old song. smile

I still don't have a clue how to do videos myself yet, so here's just another MP3:

Send in the Clowns laugh
http://www.box.net/shared/nx1dbpvi57

#1174446 - 04/04/09 03:26 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Thorium]
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Do you play the Petzold/Bach G-major one? Would be fun to compare interpretations.

Yes - I worked on that a couple of months ago and had it down fairly well - since then I did the Krieger and am just about to finish up a neat little Minuet in G minor by our boy, good old Christian Petzold (also from the "Notebook").

If I get a chance (I'm currently working on 3 other pieces) I'll spend some time reviewing it and then record and upload it here. But, no promises smile

Regards, JF

Edited by John Frank (04/04/09 03:27 PM)

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#1174470 - 04/04/09 03:49 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
piano_deb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Memphis, TN
Cheers and kudos to everyone who has already -- and it's only the 4th! -- helped to create such an entertaining piano bar. It's interesting and enjoyable to hear/see such a mix of works.

#1174507 - 04/04/09 04:42 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: piano_deb]
yoyofr Offline

Loc: Paris/France
Some old/new stuff for me : I have just bought a real piano, a sauter 108 : I love my roland hp201, but playing on a real piano is so different...

So to celebrate this and my first year of piano playing (I started in april 2008), I recorded some of the pieces I learned (with a few mistakes... ;-) ).

Prokofiev : The moon strolls in the meadow

(already recorded on the roland hp 201)
Chopin : Raindrop prelude

Laputa :

Nausica : Legend of Wind

Edited by yoyofr (04/04/09 04:46 PM)
- Bach : Invention #8 in F major, BWV 779
- Debussy : Prelude #8, The Girl With The Flaxen Hair

#1174514 - 04/04/09 04:54 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: yoyofr]
Thorium Offline

Lovely work, yoyofr! I love the Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki films too, and they're full of little musical gems. I remember adoring the credits theme in Spirited Away (Itsumo Nando?) If my singing voice were better, I'd play and sing that one all day.

Good luck on the Tiersen stuff. I used to play "Comptine d'un autre ete - L'apres midi" on my nylon, and will definitely learn the original piano version.

Thor

Edited by Thorium (04/04/09 05:20 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#1174525 - 04/04/09 05:35 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Thorium]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Re comments:

Bill, Peyton, Knotty, Angelo, Jotur, Dennis, Bluekeys - thanks for listening and for the comments.

Peyton, I am playing from a lead sheet (melody notes plus chord symbols) only. And, uh, ... the truth is, she won't do dishes, even in my imagination!

Angelo, I have been taking lessons (once every other week) for almost three years now. Also had a year of lessons on the Hammond organ in the 1970s, and basic piano lessons as a kid in the 1940s. I now have the built-in excuse of being "too old" to learn anything I darn well don't feel like learning! (But, if I feel like learning it - well, then, "You're never too old"!)

Jotur, apparently her musical intelligence vastly exceeds her verbal intelligence. She can actually improvise a respectable melody over any set of chord changes, but do you think I can get her to say dooby dooby doo? Never! Maybe it's a union thing, I dunno.

Re new recordings:

HIMS - nice improv. Sounds bluesey but also Phillip Glass-ish.

Bluekeys - I try to stay out of the personal lives of my band members. (But between you and me, I have long suspected there's some hanky panky going on between Viv and my drummer. One senses these things.)

Bluekeys, very enjoyable, played smoothly, and with feeling!

Thorium, that's excellent for someone who just started! Well done.

Peyton, a beautiful melody and arrangement, executed perfectly, and so nicely integrated with the video! Makes a great commercial for Maine tourism!

Elssa, beautiful, moving. As usual, you have created an excellent introduction and ending! I learn a lot listening to you.

Yoyofr - great recordings! If you have only been playing for a year, you must practice 24/7, or have the world's greatest teacher. I especially enjoyed the Chopin.

Ed

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

#1174594 - 04/04/09 08:48 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: bluekeys]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bluekeys

I feel like Fred Flintstone posting an MP3 with so many people now in the video age, but here is my humble attempt at the Beatles' Let It Be.

http://www.box.net/shared/2qn1s1n6ko

As usual there are a couple of mistakes and a nasty hesitation on one of the verse changes, but overall I'm satisfied considering my general beginner-ness and increasingly obvious lack of aptitude for this whole piano thingy.

No nasty hesitation was noticed by me,. Anything taht you may have seen as a nasty hesitation was evidently so minimal that it slipped by me unnoticed. Very enjoayble!

flickr

#1174595 - 04/04/09 08:51 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Thorium]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Right. Picked up a plug converter in the city, so here goes:
http://www.box.net/shared/7tckc47apc

Might upload the Bach minuet for comparison. Be gentle! I only started a few weeks ago.

Btw, JohnFrank, I liked your enhanced ending-repeat. Nice touch.

Nice performance, Thorium!

flickr

#1174598 - 04/04/09 08:56 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peyton
OK.... Here I go again. I got obsessed with trying to tie in my better recording gear with my video camera and I think I have it. This is a little melody I wrote about the salt marsh I have a little camp on here in Maine. I tied in some video of the marsh and the ducks and geese. I swear I'll keep this one up on youtube!

Yes, you do have a much better sound quality on that video. Nice video of the waterfowl, too! That's a very peaceful composition and fits your description well.

flickr

#1174602 - 04/04/09 09:00 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Elssa
I'm really enjoying all the great submissions this month, especially those cool videos! Bill, I loved your playing/singing and the nostalgic look to your video with "On the Sunny Side of the Street". That's a great old song. smile

I still don't have a clue how to do videos myself yet, so here's just another MP3:

Send in the Clowns laugh
http://www.box.net/shared/nx1dbpvi57

You had to ruin that beautiful piano playing with those nasty syn-strings, didn't you? laugh You know I'm kidding you, of course. Your arrangement on this is very possibly the best of your recorded work so far. I was drawn into this lovely melody by your playing. Truly wonderful!

flickr

#1174619 - 04/04/09 09:39 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: TX-Dennis]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Elssa, that was beautifully done! Nice quality on the recording too. It must have been fun going back in with the strings?

#1174620 - 04/04/09 09:42 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thorium... you only started a few weeks ago? You have it down! smile

#1174623 - 04/04/09 09:48 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Peyton]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

yoyfr- It's hard to believe you have only been playing one year! That Raindrop prelude was very well done! I'd put even more forte into the storm part... go for it!

#1174629 - 04/04/09 09:57 PM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Riddler]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

yoyofr,
Very nice recordings. I cannot believe you have only been playing a year. Congratulations on your great progress. You are obviously a musical genius (at least when compared to me). I love the Prokofiev piece. Of course Chopin's Raindrop Prelude is a favorite of just about everyone, and you did a grand job on it. Laputa is new to me, but it is quite beautiful. You did a fine job on it. Nausica: Legend of Wind is also new to me. It is an interesting piece and very well played. Thanks for sharing these. By the way, your new piano is gorgeous in both appearance and sound. I particularly like the way its treble sparkles.

flickr

#1174677 - 04/05/09 12:26 AM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: TX-Dennis]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
"It must have been fun going back in with the strings?"

Thanks so much, folks. smile I suppose I'm addicted to the strings and various other added sounds from my organ-playing days. I used to belong to several local electric/pipe organ clubs/groups. We would meet at different houses and other venues and go to concerts, such as at the Thomaston Opera House in CT. On occasion, the organ would be the background for wonderful silent movies, such as Laurel and Hardy. I can't tell you how much fun those days were. The strings are just a (bad?) habit with me, I guess. I do try not to overdo them, though. blush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLA8DCqgVMs

#1174704 - 04/05/09 02:50 AM Re: April Piano Bar [Re: Elssa]
yoyofr Offline

Loc: Paris/France
Thanks for your kind feedback everyone smile
My teacher is probably not the best in the world, but I think he's not the worst either wink
He always focus on feeling the music before playing it, to know where you are
going and to stay calm, relaxed. I think I only start to understand this (after a year smile )...

Thorium, that's impressive, please keep posting your progress.
Elssa, that's very nice too! How do you proceed to add strings ?
- Bach : Invention #8 in F major, BWV 779
- Debussy : Prelude #8, The Girl With The Flaxen Hair

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
80 registered (casinitaly, 20 invisible), 896 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76027 Members
42 Forums
157201 Topics
2308796 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Repeated note legato
by noobpianist90
09/01/14 02:16 AM
"Y.Becker" # 6839 (pin)
by Maximillyan
09/01/14 01:54 AM
Why are semi-concert grands so expensive?
by ColinDS
09/01/14 12:07 AM
AMEB Grades
by Patonpiano
08/31/14 11:22 PM
Hearing loss
by Tango Vic
08/31/14 11:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission