2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 119 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 118 119
Hi all im getting annoyed an frustrated.

I have played(the bit i can play) of LeOnde about a million times, i love the tune! But im wondering how to make it sound really good, like Kwai Girl's version or Einaudi's.

Mine just does not sound as punchy, im trying to work out why that is.

Is it my timing-too much (speeding and slowing)?

Inconsistent touch (tones not even)?

Playing the hands together improperly(i play from memory)?

Im not talking about the obvious mistakes (which there are a good few) but the the bits that are running well but dont sound right?

Maybe iv just played it too many times but i want to play it gooood!! (properly)

http://www.box.net/shared/drjc21zbid

tx Einaudi fans

----Any action or thought you have increases the probability that that thought or action will happen again----

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

NeNiRi, I thought your version of "Le Onde" was very, very good!! thumb Maybe not in Einaudi's or Kawaigirl's league, but then again, few of us mere mortals are. grin

I wish I had some concrete advice to give you to make your already nice rendition even better, but it took me a very long time to get to close to where you are. The main difference I hear is that Einaudi's version accents the melody notes a shade more than you're doing, I think.

Ty Monica,

kind words and i liked your YouTube vids, you give so much to this forum, i have noticed that you always have time for people.

I shall take your advice and try to accent more. I dont know what it is about kwai girls play? but to me i think it's her tempo. I think mine sucks and also she plays they keys really solid i feel that every other note is slightly (non solid)

Every time i try to use a metronome i play like a robot but i feel i use way too much speeding and slowing.

best wishes

----Any action or thought you have increases the probability that that thought or action will happen again----

Listen to Einaudi, though, and you'll hear that he plays with tremendous rubato (variation in tempo). I don't think you want to play "Le Onde" too strictly according to the metronome. I think your tempo is slightly slower overall than how Einaudi plays, but not excessively so.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.

Nuvole Bianche

Wow. Excellent! This has got to be another one on my "Must Learn" list.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NeNiRi
Hi all im getting annoyed an frustrated.
Maybe iv just played it too many times but i want to play it gooood!! (properly)

http://www.box.net/shared/drjc21zbid

tx Einaudi fans

Sounds wonderful to me. Much subtly in this that you are handling very well!

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm just starting out with Le Onde, with an eye towards performing it publicly at a recital in June. I must admit, it's slow going.

Don't have any specific questions, just an update. Frankly, I think the piece is beyond me, but I like it too much to set it aside so soon.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Just started with Le Onde last night (yes I'm VERY late to the Einaudi party) and already I'm looking for some suggestions.

Let's start with bar 5:

I've tried fingering the melody (looks like the notes of a broken D9 chord to me {D. F#, C#, E, A, D}) and have a few methods that seem to work.

1) p, i, r, t, m, t
2) p, t, r, t, m, t
3) p, t, p, t, m, t
4) p, i, p, t, m, t

Where:

t = thumb
i = index
m = middle
r = ring
p = pinky

Since this pattern is repeated a lot, I want to be sure that I'm getting the optimal one into my fingers. Perhaps there is another fingering pattern I didn't think of which would work better?? Thoughts???

Rodney

Last edited by Rodney; 03/31/09 03:42 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Rodney,

I tend to go p,t,r,t,i,t.

However, looking at my hands while I play it, it seems to make no sense. So looking at your charts, the nearest 'sensible' way for me would be 2), only I use a larger i,t stretch instead of m,t

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Hi Euan,

#2 was my first choice but for some reason I found #1 & #3 to be smoother for some reason.

T
T
I'd never heard of Ludovico Einaudi! Thanks! Lovely music. Reminds me of Philip Glass'. And great job, Monica!

Last edited by Thorium; 03/31/09 03:13 PM.

Working on:
F�r Elise (all of it, ugh)
Prelude in C, BWV 846
Michael Nyman - The Heart Asks Pleasure First (great finger exercise!)
T
Tar Offline
T
Hi NeNiRi,

Beautifully played! I second the praises you've had above, well deserved! It's really refreshing to hear Einaudi (or indeed, any equivalent style) played well: the music may be simple to learn but it's this very simplicity that makes it so difficult to pull off a good performance.

My comments
1) Maybe a little less when you're "resolving". Whenever you're returning from A minor to B you tend to crescendo. To my ears it should be the other way round: it's much more magical when the "home" chord is less.

2) The rubato was getting quite "predictable" after a while. It might be because the music is repetitive and each time the same passage occurs you apply the same rubato (was that the intent?). Maybe a little creativity at this front will boost from a "beautiful" performance of this piece to an "breathtaking" one.

3) A matter of taste: a little less left hand would be so nice.

4) Again, a matter of taste: two instances of the passage with the F6->G->D progression (1:13, 3:42). Your interpretation says that the F6 chord should be important and therefore there should be a crescendo leading to it and a diminuendo away from it. Another way to show your appreciation of that beautiful harmony is to actually diminuendo into that F6. Again, it makes people listen harder. And since there're two instances, maybe do the first one with a dim and the second with a cresc?

I think the general observation is that less is more in a case like this. A lot of what I've said are my personal taste. In any case, I think it was superbly performed. Congratulations!

Tar Viturawong
Amateur composer and pianist
Known on YouTube as pianoinspiration
verbis defectis musica incipit
Tar #1172157 03/31/09 04:36 PM

Thanks for the nice words, Thorium, and welcome to the forum! smile If you make your way through this mega-thread, you will be a hard-core Einaudi fan. thumb I agree that his music is reminiscent of Glass's, but even prettier, in the sense of being more melodic.

Rodney, I'm away from my piano, but I'll try to take a look tonight and see what fingering I use for those measures. I *think* I use #2 but I have been woefully wrong before trying to recall fingering away from the piano. grin

Hey Rodney... I just sat down at the bench. Forget what I said about using #2. The fingering I *actually* use isn't one of your options. Instead, I play:

5-1-4-1-2-1, or p-t-r-t-i-t, exactly the same as Euan. smile

[Monica swears NEVER to answer a fingering question away from the piano again. blush ]

Hi,

I recently caught Einauditis. Having read several people comparing his music to Glass's, I thought I'd check him out too. I listened to snippets of several songs, and formed the opinion that shattering glass sounds closer to Einaudi than Philip Glass. Is there a certain album of his I should check out or should I wait for the Ludovico virus to subside?

Thanks,

Dave

drm13 #1172507 04/01/09 09:12 AM

Welcome to the forum, drm13, and welcome to Eindaudi addiction. smile You can start with the "Echoes" best of collection, or the La Scala concert (which I think is almost better), but I must warn you that Einaudi addiction is a progressive disease, and you will find yourself wanting to buy everything he ever recorded, not to mention paying large sums of money to fly across the country to hear him play live... grin

Actually, the Echoes collection was released before his latest albums, which are some of his best, so you might want to buy Una Mattina or Divenire instead of that. Or in addition to. wink

Hi Monica,

Sorry, my post was confusing. I did already purchase a few Einaudi CDs (Le Onde, I Giorni), and I'm saving my pennies for more. My question was more about Glass -- Which of Glass's CDs remind people of Einaudi, because to me they are like night & day.

Thanks,

Dave

drm13 #1173167 04/02/09 11:46 AM
T
T
drm13,

Some of his works for larger ensembles are very "out there", true, but the stuff for solo piano has much of the same elegant simplicity as Einaudi's, IMO. Glass is bit darker though, and perhaps more dissonant, and probably a truer example of Minimalism.

Have you heard his Etudes, and the Metamorphosis piano cycle?

Working on:
F�r Elise (all of it, ugh)
Prelude in C, BWV 846
Michael Nyman - The Heart Asks Pleasure First (great finger exercise!)

No, I will go hunt them down. Thx, Thorium.

drm13 #1173846 04/03/09 01:50 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
drm13,

I really like the music he wrote for the film The Hours:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R-bDSAl6ME

Last edited by Euan Morrison; 04/03/09 01:55 PM. Reason: changed link
Page 41 of 119 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 118 119

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission