2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Don't think anyone has advocated their use without a consultation with a physician AND a prescription .
People should be open minded enough though to accept that for some individuals, help with the physiological reaction is necessary- experience, preparation and wisdom non-withstanding.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by kennychaffin
Originally Posted by wr

Total nonsense. The person I mentioned who uses beta-blockers has been performing professionally for big audiences for decades, and for the first part of that career did not use them, since they weren't recognized as useful for stage-fright at that time.

It is no secret that many professional musicians use them, and most professional musicians aren't in situations where bombing is an option.

Far from it. Things change, people change over time, mid-life crises and all that sort of thing. Clearly the case with this person.

Lemmings follow one another into the sea as well.

Wow, you must be psychic to have all this info on someone you don't know. But not a very good one, since you are wrong.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

Wow, you must be psychic to have all this info on someone you don't know. But not a very good one, since you are wrong.

You're the one that said he changed and now has to take his courage in pill form. smile

I'm just working off of information supplied by you and supporting my original statement.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

You're the one that said he changed and now has to take his courage in pill form. smile

I'm just working off of information supplied by you and supporting my original statement.

I didn't say he changed - it was the availability of beta-blockers that changed. Also, I didn't say anything about a mid-life crises or the person's actual age (neither of which have a bearing).

So you think it is courage in pill form? That's real cute, but no, that's not it.

My first post did imply that a person might get through some of this stuff with psychoanalysis, but actually, I'm not so sure that can work for everybody, anyway.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No, what you said was,

"Total nonsense. The person I mentioned who uses beta-blockers has been performing professionally for big audiences for decades, and for the first part of that career did not use them, since they weren't recognized as useful for stage-fright at that time."

So he was doing fine for decades, so why the change, he clearly was performing fine for all that time.

That's my point. I'm getting tired of your arguing. I think I've made my points quite clearly and will not pursue this further with you.

Kenny A. Chaffin
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
No, what you said was,

"Total nonsense. The person I mentioned who uses beta-blockers has been performing professionally for big audiences for decades, and for the first part of that career did not use them, since they weren't recognized as useful for stage-fright at that time."

So he was doing fine for decades, so why the change, he clearly was performing fine for all that time.

That's my point. I'm getting tired of your arguing. I think I've made my points quite clearly and will not pursue this further with you.

I didn't say he was doing fine for decades. I didn't even say he was doing fine for one minute. I don't know where you got that idea. He started using beta-blockers because it became known in the music community that they could help and he could get them, not because of he suddenly had an onset of the jitters mid-career. In other words, he had been playing and putting up with the problem all along, until he got access to the beta-blockers that helped to relieve it somewhat and make performing a better experience for him.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Exactly my point. He was fine, he just followed the lemmings to the sea.

Kenny A. Chaffin
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

And as I stated, he was not fine and you aren't in any position to second-guess his experience. Repeating your mantra doesn't make any difference. Not to him or, I hope, to any of the people here who have said they've benefited from beta-blockers.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
Fine. Don't take beta blockers, then. Or, by extension, any drugs at all. Better yet, I'm sure you would refuse the "quick fix" of defibrillation in the case you were in cardiac arrest, right? I mean, it's far more natural to just go ahead and die, as nature clearly intended.

You're not seriously suggesting, are you, that there's a valid parallel between choosing not to take a drug to ease an inconvenience and choosing not to accept medical help when one's life is at risk? That's simply preposterous!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

And as I stated, he was not fine and you aren't in any position to second-guess his experience. Repeating your mantra doesn't make any difference. Not to him or, I hope, to any of the people here who have said they've benefited from beta-blockers.

Of course I am. He clearly did not have debilitating issues.

Stage fright is a NORMAL reaction for most people. It is a result of the complex psychology and sociology which makes us human. It is there for a reason. The adrenalin rush, the increased focus all provide a mechanism for the performer to focus on the performance to make it better.

What this person was having sounds very much like a normal reaction. Of course I was not there and only that person and their doctor can make a determination as to what is right, but certainly the situation as described did not seem to require medication.

In most cases performance anxiety is best dealt with as indicated by many in this thread - practice at both the task to be performed and practice in appearing before an audience. Repetition of these, relaxation and awareness of the situation - and particularly in this case the awareness of having successfully performed many times are the primary means of managing normal stage fright.

Stage fright is not something to be avoided by taking a pill, but something to embrace and use to enhance one's performance.

Nor is it to be dealt with by alcohol or drugs as many have done.

Certainly there is nothing wrong with a small sip of wine before going on stage (which can be part of a ritual to help manage the emotions) nor is there anything wrong with doctor prescribed medication in debilitating cases (though as I said above if this is the case the person is likely in the wrong profession), but for the average performer it is simply a normal emotion to recognized, used, managed, and even enjoyed as part of the job.

Last edited by kennychaffin; 03/31/09 05:28 AM.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Nerves are good.

And if you are there to make music with an audience for everyone's enjoyment, you don't need drugs, not even Moisewitsch's Benedictine.

You love your audience -- your audience loves you, and will forgive you anything.

smile

"Play Bach for me". (How Chopin ended his letters.)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by VillageOrganist3

You love your audience -- your audience loves you, and will forgive you anything.

smile

or not.. Certainly your manager or your recording company may not.

To take Beta blockers or not is a personal matter. But people should certainly not assume that what works for them should work for others. And if it doesn't, then something must be wrong with the "others". We are not talking about digging potatoes out of a field, although I am sure there is an art to that too. But performance anxiety is, I would argue, a complex matter taht should not be the basis of sweeping judgments.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Originally Posted by VillageOrganist3

smile

or not.. Certainly your manager or your recording company may not.

To take Beta blockers or not is a personal matter. But people should certainly not assume that what works for them should work for others. And if it doesn't, then something must be wrong with the "others". We are not talking about digging potatoes out of a field, although I am sure there is an art to that too. But performance anxiety is, I would argue, a complex matter taht should not be the basis of sweeping judgments.

That's very true. My teacher used to broadcast regularly for the BBC in the 50s-70s. I remember him telling me that you had to be on top-form for at least your first twenty engagements with them, otherwise you didn't get another.
I think in amateur circles, audiences might be more forgiving, though.
When you get to professional level you should have worked out your own way of dealing with nerves.
Funnily enough it often takes the form of superstition, or obsessional behaviour. Apparently Cherkassky used to ask someone to spit on his shoulder before he went onstage. With Michelangeli it could manifest itself as a fuss over the piano he was to use and with Richter as an obsession about the keyboard being absolutely level.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

Of course I am. He clearly did not have debilitating issues.

Stage fright is a NORMAL reaction for most people. It is a result of the complex psychology and sociology which makes us human. It is there for a reason. The adrenalin rush, the increased focus all provide a mechanism for the performer to focus on the performance to make it better.

What this person was having sounds very much like a normal reaction. Of course I was not there and only that person and their doctor can make a determination as to what is right, but certainly the situation as described did not seem to require medication.

In most cases performance anxiety is best dealt with as indicated by many in this thread - practice at both the task to be performed and practice in appearing before an audience. Repetition of these, relaxation and awareness of the situation - and particularly in this case the awareness of having successfully performed many times are the primary means of managing normal stage fright.

Stage fright is not something to be avoided by taking a pill, but something to embrace and use to enhance one's performance.

Nor is it to be dealt with by alcohol or drugs as many have done.

Certainly there is nothing wrong with a small sip of wine before going on stage (which can be part of a ritual to help manage the emotions) nor is there anything wrong with doctor prescribed medication in debilitating cases (though as I said above if this is the case the person is likely in the wrong profession), but for the average performer it is simply a normal emotion to recognized, used, managed, and even enjoyed as part of the job.

Nice try, but you are still not in a position to make disparaging remarks about his, or anyone else's, use of beta-blockers. You simply are not in their shoes. It is that simple. All the psycho-babble in the world can't substitute for the real individual's experience.

For some reason, I have this gut feeling that your performing experience doesn't encompass stuff like being on some of the world's major stages or recording for major labels. And also that you've never actually used beta-blockers yourself.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BruceD

You're not seriously suggesting, are you, that there's a valid parallel between choosing not to take a drug to ease an inconvenience and choosing not to accept medical help when one's life is at risk? That's simply preposterous!

No, I was exaggerating to point up that if one is moralistic about beta-blockers, one should be equally moralistic about medical assistance more generally.

I don't think that the issue for many performers who use beta-blockers is merely a matter of "inconvenience", by the way, although it could be for some. I believe many would sooner or later completely withdraw from performing without them.

A
A
Beta blockers do nothing for nerves. You'll still be as nervous with beta blockers as without, the only difference is that you won't have the outward appearance of nervousness.

Can anyone here truthfully argue that hand tremors and sweating improves performance in general?

Dr. Appleman, former NASA engineer, Empire of Earth and B.S. of Ninjutsu at MIT.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by appleman
Beta blockers do nothing for nerves. You'll still be as nervous with beta blockers as without, the only difference is that you won't have the outward appearance of nervousness.

Can anyone here truthfully argue that hand tremors and sweating improves performance in general?

The worst effect of bad nerves, I recall, is that one panics and tends to forget everything you've ever learnt about music in your life.
So with Beta blockers you still play fistfuls of wrong notes but now with dry hands, eh?

A
A
Originally Posted by Wood-demon
The worst effect of bad nerves, I recall, is that one panics and tends to forget everything you've ever learnt about music in your life.
So with Beta blockers you still play fistfuls of wrong notes but now with dry hands, eh?
Yes.

Beta blockers will not enhance your memory, or your ability any more than how you play when you're calm. They will not help someone whose problem is entirely mental. They simply decrease the physical symptoms of nervousness.

That is where beta blockers help, because a person who is physically calm can regain their composer faster than a person who is both physically and mentally panicked. And a person whose problem is the physical symptoms of stage fright can perform without those symptoms.

Last edited by appleman; 04/01/09 11:54 AM. Reason: add comma for meaning

Dr. Appleman, former NASA engineer, Empire of Earth and B.S. of Ninjutsu at MIT.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by appleman
Originally Posted by Wood-demon
Yes.

Beta blockers will not enhance your memory, or your ability any more than how you play when you're calm. They will not help someone whose problem is entirely mental. They simply decrease the physical symptoms of nervousness.

That is where beta blockers help, because a person who is physically calm can regain their composer faster than a person who is both physically and mentally panicked. And a person whose problem is the physical symptoms of stage fright can perform without those symptoms.

I like the typo in the last paragraph...I can remember playing Rachmaninov so badly that it sounded like Charles Ives: I certainly needed to regain my composer then!

Has anybody ever tried hypnotherapy to overcome any of these problems?

P
P
Originally Posted by 2lefthands
I understand that at least 20% of us use (or have used) Beta Blockers (especially Propranolol) to achieve a better performance... I´ve never used them, but would like to try. Nerves are a bit of a problem with me, and anything that could help now and then I would welcome. Where do I get them?

Thanks crazy

I can get you some extra 10mg from my supplier and send them to you, but only after you PM me a statement saying that you have consulted a doctor and that the doctor has approved your use of them in principle.

smile

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission