2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I posted the following on the Adult Beginners forum thinking new students might benefit from inputs from various teachers on what to expect from the first meeting that really establishes the whole teacher/student relationship. ProdigalPianist suggested that I repost here since here is where the teachers are... lol.

Note: I am assuming a new Adult student.

"Seems like a number of issues on this forum arrise from teacher/student misunderstandings with many comments coming from the professional teacher community.

So I am wondering how teachers approach the first meeting with a prospective new student to establish a good understanding of the student's proficiencies, student's musical interests and goals, and the expectations (practice time, etc.) and time needed to achieve them. I am assuming each teacher has a fairly set process they use to determine how to proceed.

Assume an adult who took some piano lessons years ago, has forgotten most of it, calls you up and schedules an initial meeting with you.

So from our teachers I would be interested to know:

How long is your initial meeting, and do you include some instruction or is the first meeting more of a consultation to establish the student's proficiency levels and an overall game plan? How much do you charge for this initial meeting?

How do you communicate student specific expectations of progress? Do you use a written plan or is it ad hoc?
Do teachers set "progress review" benchmarks, perhaps scheduling a longer meeting once or twice a year, to review accomplishments to date and progress towards the mutual goals?

Do you cover in your first meeting a list of the most important items and issues you want to get agreement from your student? Is there a FAQ kind of list that you hand out, and what are the most important of those?

Basically, I am interested in hearing from our experienced teacher community how they approach a new student and what the new student should expect from the initial meeting to hopefully start a successful relationship that avoids some of the issues discussed in this forum. "

Comments Welcome...

/Scruffies - Noob student and self taught ATM.

/Scruffies
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I make the initial meeting a half hour long, at no charge. This is my way of getting a feel for a student to see if I can help them and if our personalities mesh. After teacher for several years I've gotten a 6th sense about students and which personalities is best to refer elsewhere.

I generally show them around the studio, ask them to play something for me if they know any piece (heart & soul or whatever!) and give them my policy. I ask them what their goals are in piano, and if they play or played any instruments and if they sing. I show them the books I like to start out with and give them an idea of how long it would take for most students to get through, and I may play a piece or two from the end so they know what the end result would be after 6 months or a year of playing. This helps give them a realistic measure on their goals. I discuss with them the importance of practice and what they can probably plan on doing to make good progress. Then we improvise, which is always a lot of fun (I make it quite simple and enjoyable for even the most timid of students!).

Those are the main points. Often a prospective student will have questions of their own, and I let the conversation go where it will. I want to speak a lot with them rather than just divulge information, so that we can develop a rapport.

I used to have a FAQ list, but I stopped using that because I found that usually it wasn't read. They barely read my policy let alone any other information I throw at them! smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Scruffies asked for info: "Basically, I am interested in hearing from our experienced teacher community how they approach a new student and what the new student should expect from the initial meeting to hopefully start a successful relationship that avoids some of the issues discussed in this forum. "

There is no avoiding issues, you can't remove them from your life, they are there at the most unopportune time, and you have to keep your wits about you while they are happening. The problem is that people vote with their feet at the first sign of a problem where "staying power" and a bit of patience would resolve the issue with a little effort.

The teacher and the adult student don't mesh as quickly and easily as kids do with their teachers. There is a little resistance because no one likes judgment or correction voiced in their direction. The problem with that is the teacher sees it as necessary instruction and a positive step toward progress when they ask the student to do something, anything, nothing in particular. The adult student takes it as a control issue, or an insult, or a judgment about ability, worth and value.

It's a gentle correction given with a smile.

It's really hard to bond with someone when the one on one instruction puts the emphasis on how is the student understanding and doing the lesson for this week. You can't avoid the possibility of hurting feelings, or bursting bubbles, or making someone cry.

Not that the teacher did something to incite that, but people are full of feelings just waiting to happen and the frustrations that are built into learning the piano are sure to happen when y ou least expect it. We can't contain things that are pent up and causing us to see ourselves as we are in a realistic, objective event like a piano lesson.

To truly enjoy the lesson one has to be willing to solve the puzzles music presents us. Learning piano is all about music, composers, sound, movement, rhythms....but what it's all about is the inner you and how you respond to things in your world when challenged and frustrated by something that is much harder than you ever thought.

I had a new six year old for her first lesson today. She transferred from a KinderMusic program but has not played piano before. She was delighted with her work, she said today's lesson was like solving a puzzle and it was lots of fun. She said she was going to practice each of the 4 songs I gave her 7 times each so she would be ready for our lesson next week.

Her expectation seems to be that she is going to love this and give it her best shot.

We need to see more of her attitude blooming across the music world and less of the "gladly the crosseyed bear" who shows his or her consternation because he or she played it better at home, or the teacher who keeps messing the student up.

The little student with a sense of fortitude plugs away on the adventure of the journey while putting in the time and effort to get themselves somewhere in music.

If this sounds harsh, you might wonder why I can say these things - ask me how my day went and was it the kids or the adults who were the "testors" and "stressors" of my day.

The new little girl was a godsend! My 8th year student was full of surprises after his visit in California with his piano teaching grandmother who listened to his latest accomplishments.

The 3:30 8 year old sweetie on Spring Break who totally forgot the lesson - Dad is home from from Afghanistan and the family was doing errands - big apology given and a reschedule for tomorrow.

The 5PM interview, cancelled yesterday's 5PM interview and rescheduled for today which was cancelled at 11:30 because her daughter was misbehaving all week (Spring Break) and she didn't want to bring her to my house because the girl would consider it a "treat". Yesterdays interview was cancelled because all of a sudden she forgot she had a doctors appointment and couldn't be in two places at ones. How true! Then she asked for an interview time tomorrow, but earlier. I said no I can't do that tomorrow is full for me. She said I'll call you this afternoon, I said I can't talk until 5PM, I teach from 12:45 until then so please call me at 5PM or keep the appointment today, either one. This all by e-mail of course. No one came, no one called. Exactly as I expected. Now I assume I'm the difficult teacher they almost had the rotten luck of getting involved with. See how it goes?

The two interviews next Monday, I hope make the cut, one is an adult. She seems determined and joyful that she is returning to piano. Most of the other 16 inquiries since January 1st have not answered my invitation to interview and get acquainted and have a lesson too, one hour in time frame. So which is worse to contact the teacher but forget to connect, or to make an appointment and then cancel, cancel, cancel.

When people think that a piano teacher earns a lot of money for giving lessons, it is really all those extra hours we put into the business that no one ever notices, add those to the workload when you analyze the cost of lessons. If only I had on office assistant to keep track of it all!

Am I tired today? Yes. Although there were fewer students - Spring Break - I worked very hard today - trying to keep everyone happy and engaged in the world of music.

Some cooperated grandly, others didn't.

Long story! Not exactly what was asked for by the OP is it! But, I saw the key word "issues" and then "start a successful relationship that avoids some of the issues"....I don't know whether to groan or laugh this evening.

Isn't it desirable that the relationship might be a two way street with reciprocity, understanding and kindness to make both teacher and students and parents involved in the music program pleased to know and work with each other? Age shouldn't matter.

Sermon - story over. I'm going to have a piece of chocolate cake. I deserve it.

Betty

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Betty
What a terrific rant! You cracked me up!I had a similar day and I went for both cake and ice cream.
There is something (or lots) to be said about this pervasive sense of entitlement. There is this need to be the center of the universe, a requirement to occupy all of your attention just because that person is there gracing you with their presence. No matter they are the one in need and you are the provider of that need.. They still feel that things must be done their way, the universe temporarily modified to center upon them. I am not a piano teacher but a "provider" of some needs. I am completely understanding of the angst, drang and sturm many people experience upon realizing that they need a service. Yet I have consistently found that the more you give, they more they "need" and 'require" and the less they "respect". People are not ready to relinquish an iota of control. They actively "need", and 'want" but "it' must happen without much effort or introspection. Luckily not everyone is so but, arguably, a surprising proportion of the population is.
I will be less cranky in the morning.ANd I will probably regret writing this..

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Betty Patnude

The teacher and the adult student don't mesh as quickly and easily as kids do with their teachers. There is a little resistance because no one likes judgment or correction voiced in their direction. The problem with that is the teacher sees it as necessary instruction and a positive step toward progress when they ask the student to do something, anything, nothing in particular. The adult student takes it as a control issue, or an insult, or a judgment about ability, worth and value.

I know you do find this to be the case, Betty, but I actually don't find it divides down age lines. Some people mesh more quickly with me as a teacher than others, and I with them. The vast majority of my (many) adult students over the years have welcomed correction, and actually the hardest student to take correction I ever had was a nine-year-old girl.
(edited to add:)And then there was that 14-year-old boy...

Last edited by currawong; 04/02/09 11:42 PM. Reason: addition!

Du holde Kunst...
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
But to answer the original question, my approach seems to be similar to Morodiene's. After the initial contact, we meet for up to a half-hour, at no charge. We talk about their goals, previous experience, tastes in music, and if they've played before I ask them to bring something to play for me, emphasising that it doesn't matter how rusty they are, it still gives me some idea. I map out some sort of way forward based on what they say, what I observe and what their goals are. I make sure they know that regular practice is the key to progress, and give them the information they need about my policies. We reassess this plan as we go along, and I do see it as a two-way street. I try to make sure they know why I advocate certain things, and no-one seems to think I'm too scary to approach if they have any issues smile

Du holde Kunst...
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I try to do as much of the initial interview as possible over the phone. There's little point in arranging a consultation only to find out that it is a totally unsuitable match for whatever reason. By the time we get to the first meeting it is (almost) assumed that they are going to take lessons. Of course they are free to go elsewhere if that is what they decide. I do charge for the consultation at the normal hourly rate. It is usually half hour. I figure that if they are serious about lessons then they will not mind paying this small fee for my time. The phone call is free of course!

Pianist and piano teacher.
L
L
Betty..sounds like you need a holiday more than your students! lol :)(great rant...I can empathise)

Personally, I treat the initial meeting like a first lesson. I don't 'write' anyone off...and definately don't forumlate any judgement from a first lesson. I treat it as if 'they're in' and off we go...rappor is something I take the lead in initially when taking on any new student.

If problems come up later and occur consistently and cannot be resolved, then it's time for action...

The only time I can recall a 'first lesson' student not working out is when I elected to 'try out' the younger sibling of one of my students. I had been notified by the parents that the sibling had ADHD and they did not have much of an expectation that the child would be able to focus or sit still long enough for music lessons..and they were correct.

smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I may have missed this in other teachers' posts, but I generally tell older students, both teens and adults, that starting in with a new instructor takes some time - for both of us, before we're meshing fully. Generally, several months. Are they willing to stick it out for 3 months to give it a chance?

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Oh, Chris, I notice you charge for you interview. Does this filter out a large number of perspective students?

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
FYI for the teachers. There seem to be a lot of posts and questions from people who come to the ABF about 'what is normal' and 'is this to be expected' and 'why is my teacher doing/not doing' something. This from people who have not asked the teacher, or occasionally have asked the teacher but not gotten a very good response. It is possible that input from teachers on how to approach/ask questions will increase the success of these interactions.

For Example: The most recent was a beginner who has been playing all pieces hands separately and then moving on to the next piece, without ever learning the piece hands together. The student was (not surprisingly) anxious to play HT practiced a piece HT after having learned it HS, and the teacher wouldn't listen to it because, the teacher said it "wasn't possible" for them to have learned it HT. Now, I can (and did, if you read the thread) come up with a scenario or two of why the teacher would say that or what is going on, however, I remain a bit surprised that so many students are reluctant to ask the teacher for an explanation.

Note, I didn't say "demand" an explanation...but I think it's reasonable that an adult might be more comfortable in a learning situation where the teacher's 'roadmap' or plan is more explicit...ie-upon being asked, the teacher might say, "Oh I never want my students to play HT until ___." And that's all it takes. It might be easier to be patient if the student knew "OK, I will play HS for X amount of time before playing HT and this is important because ____."

Without that, the student really feels lost in a situation where they have no idea what to expect in the coming weeks or months. A schoolkid is more used to this situation (maybe) but I remain a little at a loss at why a student would feel so uncomfortable asking for simple information that is going to make them feel more secure about the _process_ of learning a musical instrument.

I would think a student who (cares and) has a general understanding of the plan and process along with a ballpark timeline (assuming X amount of practice per day) would have more success and a better lesson experience than a student who has no idea what is going on, what to expect, and what the plan is?

This is not a matter of not respecting the teacher's knowledge and experience and challenging the teacher...it seems to be a matter of simple ignorance and confusion.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
OP Offline
Thanks for all the great replies...

/Scruffies
M
M
Prodigal,
I agree. However, at some point the student does have to be an adult and ask those questions. I *love* it when my students ask questions at any age! Except if they are asking things to delay playing, which students of all ages have done when they're not prepared for lessons wink . But definitely, ask for clarity in something that I've said. I may think I'm being perfectly clear and transparent, but my communication is only as good as what my listener understands.

Betty,
I feel your pain! I had a voice student whose father had been trying to set up an interview since December - December! - and we finally met in mid-February after several schedules and re-schedules of said interview. After that interview the father set up a lesson time and we were to start the following week. I received a call from the dad a few days later canceling lessons, saying they decided to take lessons with her school teacher (who had referred the student to me in the first place!), and assuring me that she would want to start lessons with me in the Fall. I've decided that my studio will be full by that time, should it ever really come around. smirk

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Probably a wise decision!

W
W
Teachers, sorry to butt in on your forum again (I find it really interesting, and can’t resist!), but as a non teacher I don’t see why you give your initial consultation to a prospective adult beginner for free.
Your time and expertise is a valuable commodity – which is why people like me keep coming again and paying for the privilege.
Nobody walks into an off licence (?other wise known as liquor store across the pond or bottle shop down under) and expects to be given a free bottle of wine simply because the recipient has not tried that particular brand before.
If a prospective student is too tight to pay for the first lesson, you’re probably better off without them. If they don’t like you and never come back for a second lesson it’s up to you how hard you chase them for the money, but if they come back again then surely that first lesson was worth something?
Also, Betty if students continually cancel lessons at less than 24 hrs notice I’d charge them for the lesson, that’s what I do with my consultations. If the student doesn’t like it and moves on you’ve got rid of them, and if they pay up and keep coming back then you get paid for your coffee break – surely a win - win situation either way?

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks, Wombat66,

My policy for enrolled students clearly has the statement that there are no refunds for missed lessons, and that lessons will be made up at the discretion of the teacher, depending on 24 hour notice being given. Overwise, it is a forfeited lesson.

WHen an interview cancels or doesn't show up, I'm out. The value of my hour is $40, and as an interview-lesson, one hour is $25. I am not going to be able to make that offer anymore. It is a disadvantage to me in every way. I will be charging a fee for interview appliable to the tuition fees if they enroll in June. Otherwise, they are paying for their first lesson, whether they enroll or not.

I had a horrible week with 3 interviews scheduled, and no one showed up, 2 cancelled by e-mail a few hours before, one didn't call or come. The good news is this helps me glean exactly what I don't want from my schedule, by not accepting them. The bad news is that I offer the interview and first lesson combination - a great value - for free. So missing that after scheduling it is a real problem. I'd even go so far as to say a "problem person".

I am also going to try registration from my web site when it is ready which enrolls the student in a short program as the testing point for full time entry. The testing works in two ways, is the student progressing and enjoying it, the location is workable, the timeframe schedule works, the fees are affordable - and for the teacher, the student and family meet the criteria that I have as a profile for a promising student.

I don't like working with people who carry bad behavior or attitudes with them, or who don't take their practice work at home seriously as it makes my job next to impossible.

Students need to want to be here and doing the work. I present the opportunity to work with me and the guidance I have to offer. How well we do depends on our good relationship and our ability to communicate. We both have to be making an investment of time and effort.

Thanks Wombat66 for such respect and evaluation of the disadvantageous situations we encounter when we teach. You made my day and I'm sure other teachers also appreciate your post.

Betty

B
B
As an adult student I'd agree with Wombat66 that a free consultation or reduced-rate first lesson doesn't seem fair to teachers.

An adult student in particular needs to have a level of self-motivation to be a worthwhile use of your time if you're a high-level teacher. If the student isn't motivated enough to try out lessons without the incentive of a "free trial," I'd say it's less likely that you as teachers would have a rewarding relationship with them. There are music stores that offer low-cost lessons suitable for people who are unsure of the idea in general (not to say that you can't find an excellent teacher at a low-cost music store..I think I did). But if you charge rates that you think are fair based on your experience and qualifications, and you want your students to be committed to their study (within reason), I wouldn't worry about incentives like free consultations. I think John is on point when he says
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
that starting in with a new instructor takes some time - for both of us, before we're meshing fully. Generally, several months. Are they willing to stick it out for 3 months to give it a chance?

I can understand the need to draw new students into your studios in tough times, and I can't say whether free trials are the best way to do that. And I also understand that it's difficult for an adult student to gauge their own interest in lessons at the beginning. But regardless, your time and skills are valuable, and you shouldn't frequently get burned by your own generosity.

Don't stand up your piano teachers! mad

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Wombat66
Nobody walks into an off licence (?other wise known as liquor store across the pond or bottle shop down under)

Ah, a master of three languages! smile

Well I actually agree with Wombat even though I'm one of those who don't charge for the first meeting. I don't consider it a lesson, however, more a preliminary interview. It mightn't take the full half hour, and I like to let them talk and tell me anything they feel is relevant. It's just my personal choice not to charge for this, and I'm not doing it as a marketing strategy or incentive. I fully support those who do charge.
PS I only have relatively few students. If I had many such interviews I think I'd be charging too.

Du holde Kunst...
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Betty, I have a slightly different take on the problem....don't know if it'll work for you.

My fee structure is no secret, and if a parent calls out of the blue (it happens) who hasn't looked at my web-page, I politely tell them they should look at it, because it will answer 90% of their questions, including fees.

But when they come to meet me, I give the student a short lesson, perhaps 20 min or so, but I am evaluating the student's learning potential as well as where they are at, if a transfer. I can learn a lot from this short session and can gently back out if things don't seem to click.

Sure, I'm out some cash, but I feel it's more of a "loss leader" if you will. The parents can go away happy that they've found the right teacher, with less angst about what may initially to them seem high fees. And I can feel satisfied that I've got a potentially great student.

The key, as it were, is to eliminate the "Lookie Lou's" before they ever get inside your studio.

Perhaps adult students should be treated differently, even if this seems unfair, because adults have differing agendas than parents who are enrolling their child for a course of study.

If the student is interested, has already researched you, and is wanting a trial lesson, then, by all means, charge. In fact, you might consider telling them that you'll be glad to start them on such and such date, but they must pay for an initial package of weekly/bi-weekly/monthly lessons, so that you can both assess and adapt to their learning style, and that they, in turn, have a chance to practice and learn what you teach them. You might set the number of lessons pre-paid at 6 or 8. Payable upfront before the first lesson.

If they balk, you should thank them for the call, and suggest they contact you again when they are ready for piano study.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
John contributed: "If the student is interested, has already researched you, and is wanting a trial lesson, then, by all means, charge. In fact, you might consider telling them that you'll be glad to start them on such and such date, but they must pay for an initial package of weekly/bi-weekly/monthly lessons, so that you can both assess and adapt to their learning style, and that they, in turn, have a chance to practice and learn what you teach them. You might set the number of lessons pre-paid at 6 or 8. Payable upfront before the first lesson.

If they balk, you should thank them for the call, and suggest they contact you again when they are ready for piano study."

You are saying exactly what I am going to be doing as a next step preventative from the turmoil of interviewing people who are not serious about making a piano lesson committment.

Prerequisites:
1) They need to have a piano available and not just a 44 key one that is 20 years old, or much less, none at all with no intentions of buying one. If they have an acoustic piano they need to have it tuned.

2) If they are so busy they are going to have to keep rescheduling for lesson date or take a long break, I'm not interested. Application of time and effort for piano lessons and practice is a big committment, and if you know going in it's not going to be easy to keep schedules, I don't want to be accepting of half vast committments, where the responsibility for successful lessons is all mine.

3) My studio policy is firm. If it's not agreeable to the client, we should first discuss the problem, but more than likely, any negotiation will work better for you than they will for me. I'm not likely to change my business plan without it being a decision I want to make. One exception creates a precedent that will now apply to all future comers. When I make decisions, I make it for occuring sometime in the future, not immediately based on a demand.

4) I am thinking of doing enrolling through my new website (soon) and offering a get acquainted period, as you suggest, with which to test the water. I was thinking 10 weeks to your 6-8, and yes, paid up front. Then we could conferance to discuss what we've been seeing and do we, do we not, want to continue.

5) I'm thinking of putting my contract on the website so that we can get to the bottom line in a hurry. I spent a lot of time in emailing prospective students usually the mother, and providing information to them. Then I reserve the hour for them, and at that point, I think we should have been able to find out much sooner if they were willing to sign the contract in the first place. It talks about the services they receive and the way we will do business together.

So the idea of registering, enrolling and agreeing to a contract is going to be changing soon and will be their first sign of committment to me. Not what it is now, the conclusion of the courtship. It's the only way of qualifying their intentions about piano lessons at all, but specifically with me.

I have a sentence in my studio policy that says I do not teach in chaos or confusion. That kind of says it all.

My lady who rescheduled for Thursday after cancelling Wednesday, and then cancelled Thursday, too, really thought that I would be willing for them to come on Friday. Extreme behavior exactly fits in with the chaos and confusion I'm wanting to avoid.

I asked my husband to pick up some aspirin when he was out today, and he brought me back 2 bottles. I really only wanted one! He knows I've had a difficult time lately, and I guess he was doing his symbolic, supporting role, to keep me supplied with the headache pills. I think he's sweet, but two bottles is overkill. At least, I hope I won't need them every day.

Thanks John!

Betty

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission