Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 15 of 15 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15
Topic Options
#117496 - 08/01/06 01:37 PM Re: King of the Hill
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana
 Quote:
Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Could it be that you were perhaps worried that the MrsSV thread could topple the King of the Hill thread? \:D

...but this rumor should easily spark enough debate to add a few more pages and keep KOTH safely ensconced on top.

My hunch is that IF Yamaha outsources vertical production to China (and I'd love to hear that rumor confirmed by a Yamaha dealer), it won't make a dent in their sales. Name recognition and brand image counts for so much more, and I suspect that the vast majority of Yamaha upright buyers would never even think to ask where the pianos are manufactured. I would think that you'd have to see a sustained drop in quality for a long time before Yamaha started suffering any ill effects from such a move, and there's no reason to believe that would occur. [/b]
Nah, I already had her by over a hundred posts, and that thread has dropped off the front page. :p

Over 1,000,000 posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#117497 - 08/01/06 01:40 PM Re: King of the Hill
Jolly Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Cohen:
I think that, if true, it will cost them significantly.

Their competitors will be sure to point out the country of origin. And, there is definately a gereral perception that the Chinese-made products are of lesser quality than those of the USA and Japan. Even the Indonesian-made pianos have a better reputation.

I'm not saying that it is justified, only that it will be a factor. [/b]
You don't think the Cable Nelson stuff has been a trial run to tweak the factory?

#117498 - 08/01/06 01:50 PM Re: King of the Hill
seebechstein Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: houston
 Quote:
Name recognition and brand image counts for so much more, and I suspect that the vast majority of Yamaha upright buyers would never even think to ask where the pianos are manufactured. [/b]
Monica, can I reason that you would think that Steinway could move their production to China and they would suffer no loss of customers, since the customers are so attached to the name recognition?

#117499 - 08/01/06 02:07 PM Re: King of the Hill
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
No...and I was careful to make a distinction between upright and grands here. I agree that Steinway outsourcing to China would severely hurt their business; ditto for Yamaha outsourcing their grands. BUT...I'm still not convinced that outsourcing Yamaha uprights would. I'd argue that the majority of people buying Yamaha uprights are first-time purchasers, most of whom are not going to do a lot of research or read the Fine book or come here, and for these people name recognition is probably going to count more than details about manufacturing.

Steve did make a good point that Yamahas' competitors would make sure to bring up the point of origin. I hadn't considered that, but I guess I'm not persuaded that even that would hurt sales too much. Most uprights are made in other countries, so I can see a lot of purchasers thinking "China? Indonesia? Japan? What's the difference?" They may be discomfited by the competitors' remarks, but they will in the final analysis be comforted by the fact that at least they have HEARD of Yamaha pianos.

#117500 - 08/01/06 02:14 PM Re: King of the Hill
Jolly Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by seebechstein:
 Quote:
Name recognition and brand image counts for so much more, and I suspect that the vast majority of Yamaha upright buyers would never even think to ask where the pianos are manufactured. [/b]
Monica, can I reason that you would think that Steinway could move their production to China and they would suffer no loss of customers, since the customers are so attached to the name recognition? [/b]
There have been a lot of Bostons sold over the years based primarily on the cache' of the Steinway name. How many Boston owners knew or cared that their piano was built by Kawai?

#117501 - 08/01/06 03:39 PM Re: King of the Hill
Jolly Offline

#117502 - 08/02/06 06:47 AM Re: King of the Hill
Rich Galassini Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
 Quote:
My hunch is that IF Yamaha outsources vertical production to China (and I'd love to hear that rumor confirmed by a Yamaha dealer), it won't make a dent in their sales.
[/b]

They have been using Chinese built actions in the USA production verts for some time now. They don't play well in comparison to what else is available in the price range,but they do sell a few of them.

In the entry level piano, I tend to agree with Monica. It could play like a truck, but if it looks pretty, they will still sell a few.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#117503 - 08/03/06 01:41 AM Re: King of the Hill
gryphon Offline

Loc: Okemos, MI
You magnificent bastard.

#117504 - 08/03/06 10:09 AM Re: King of the Hill
Piano Gal Offline

Loc: West US
Yamaha pianos, in my opinion, are work horses and are good on stage, but in a home, no way!!! They lack dynamics and are to harsh/loud. They are good on stage because of the loudness. You could put a yamaha on an outdoor stage for days and it will stay in tune, but a Steinway on an outdoor stage and it will lose it's tune in an hour. What does that mean? Is yamaha better? Is steinway crud? NOPE!!! Yamaha is built like a work horse and steinway and others/baldwin, mason, ec., are better in homes. It's like driving a SUV, do you really need to buy a tractor, when a lexus can do the job?

"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill

#117505 - 08/03/06 12:00 PM Re: King of the Hill
Jolly Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Galassini:
 Quote:
My hunch is that IF Yamaha outsources vertical production to China (and I'd love to hear that rumor confirmed by a Yamaha dealer), it won't make a dent in their sales.
[/b]

They have been using Chinese built actions in the USA production verts for some time now. They don't play well in comparison to what else is available in the price range,but they do sell a few of them.

In the entry level piano, I tend to agree with Monica. It could play like a truck, but if it looks pretty, they will still sell a few. [/b]
Talking about Chinese production...

Sure, the Yamaha name is its own advertisement, but name will only carry you so far.

Yammie used to own[/b] the middle area of the flute market because they delived superior value and playability (is that a word?) for the money. In recent years the price has shot up for those middle ground Yamaha flutes, production has moved away from Japan for some models and I think their market share has diminished.

Does not that sound a bit like the current situtation in pianos?

Page 15 of 15 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
148 registered (A Guy, 36251, accordeur, adultpianist, 56 invisible), 1651 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74248 Members
42 Forums
153584 Topics
2250877 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Playing the piano again
by Mr.Wolf
04/19/14 03:47 PM
27/16 time signature!
by Polyphonist
04/19/14 03:46 PM
Three great pianists/teachers celebrate the same birthday!
by music32
04/19/14 03:41 PM
Chopin - Op 9 No 1 help
by YoungNoir
04/19/14 03:29 PM
This day, last year...
by TwoSnowflakes
04/19/14 01:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission