Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1175333 - 04/06/09 06:34 AM Could you have gotten where you are with a DP?
pianozuki Offline

Loc: Bellevue WA, USA
I'm following up on a suggestion made to me by ChrisH. in the Piano Teachers Forum. I'm the OP of that long thread I began with this question.

So: how many of the excellent pianists here practice mainly on a DP and don't have a grand piano? Does/did it limit your progress?

I'm not sure that is really the question I want to ask here, because of the amazing improvements in DPs in recent years. (BTW have you seen the demos of the soon-to-be-released Roland V-Piano?)

Rephrasing: Can you imagine getting to where you are today if from the beginning you had used only one of the best DPs available now?

Edited by pianozuki (04/06/09 06:36 AM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1175343 - 04/06/09 06:51 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: pianozuki]
Wood-demon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
There are things that don't work nearly so well on DPs as on the real McCoy such as rapid repeated notes and subtle pedal effects. However, coming from a far-from wealthy family, the first piano I had to learn on was a poor old thing with a range that stopped at top A; I think the best DPs that are available today are far preferable to that.
I do a lot of practising on my DP so as not to disturb neighbours. I can easily adapt to pianos outside which I meet , some of which are so poor I would prefer to have A good DP to play by the way, but, of course,being over 60 means that for most of my life I have not used DPs. Also, I don't own a grand piano as my house is too small to accommodate one comfortably, but I've played on enough over the years to be able to cope with them when I have to.

#1175345 - 04/06/09 06:55 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: Wood-demon]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
I really don't play post 1800 music at home anymore, it's too noisy. Instead I use a square piano (quite cheap over here) or a clavichord.

#1175353 - 04/06/09 07:19 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: pianozuki]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted By: pianozuki
Rephrasing: Can you imagine getting to where you are today if from the beginning you had used only one of the best DPs available now?

No.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1175354 - 04/06/09 07:20 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: keyboardklutz]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Aurora, CO
Pianozuki, I'm just a beginner so I can't answer the question you are asking, but being one of the 'troublemakers' in the other thread I'm very interested in hearing the responses. Thanks for following up on this.

#1175369 - 04/06/09 07:54 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: kennychaffin]
appleman Offline

When I left my parents, I purchased a used Roland KR-103, because it was cheapish and I knew I was going to move at least twice, which is something I couldn't have done easily with an acoustic. My playing has improved quite a bit since then, since I've gained a lot more practice time and getting a new piano is always inspiring.

My dynamics are now behind compared to the rest of my abilities, so I would like a real piano again, but I couldn't see myself where I am WITHOUT a digital piano.

#1175383 - 04/06/09 08:30 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: appleman]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
I don't have a grand piano I have a Mason & Hamlin spinet that I started learning on in 4th grade. I also have a DP that I do most of my practicing on. I can switch easily between them and find there's no difference. Of course, the DP does support partial pedaling and I find that I can repeat notes as well on both pianos so there's no limitations there. The subtlety of the acoustic piano does allow me to play more expressively on it than on the DP.

But the ability to practice virtually anytime I want on the DP certainly makes up for what little it lacks.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1175397 - 04/06/09 09:07 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: epf]
Wood-demon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: epf
I don't have a grand piano I have a Mason & Hamlin spinet that I started learning on in 4th grade. I also have a DP that I do most of my practicing on. I can switch easily between them and find there's no difference. Of course, the DP does support partial pedaling and I find that I can repeat notes as well on both pianos so there's no limitations there.
Ed

Not being awkward, but have you ever tried playing Alborada del Gracioso or Liszt's Tarantella (Venezia e Napoli) on your DP? If yes, and you can perform the repeated notes to tempo on your DP, please let me know the brand and model.

#1175398 - 04/06/09 09:10 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: epf]
pianozuki Offline

I'm the OP.

If you mention a DP, please give its make and model.

Thanks

#1175416 - 04/06/09 09:37 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: Wood-demon]
pianozuki Offline

Originally Posted By: Wood-demon
I don't have a grand piano I have a Mason & Hamlin spinet that I started learning on in 4th grade. I also have a DP that I do most of my practicing on. I can switch easily between them and find there's no difference. Of course, the DP does support partial pedaling and I find that I can repeat notes as well on both pianos so there's no limitations there.
Ed

Not being awkward, but have you ever tried playing Alborada del Gracioso or Liszt's Tarantella (Venezia e Napoli) on your DP? If yes, and you can perform the repeated notes to tempo on your DP, please let me know the brand and model.

Do you think a good Kawai DP might meet your test? Listen to these demos:
http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/sound_demos/ca_demos/CA%20Concert%20Grand.wma

And

http://www.kawaius.com/main_links/digital/sound_demos/cp_demos/CP%20Concert%20Grand.wma

(Sorry, I can't figure out which DPs these come from)

#1175418 - 04/06/09 09:43 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: pianozuki]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
That demo comes in my dp too, the kawai cl30 ... not sure if it was originally performed on that pianio

i'm a beginner too and i will buy an acoustic soon. the reason is because when i go to classes , the difference of strength needed is dramatic. my hands feel so weak on the acoustic that i really do not want to spend much more time playing on a dp only.

whne i buy the acoustic, it will definitely have a silent system.

#1175431 - 04/06/09 09:55 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: izaldu]
pianozuki Offline

That demo comes in my dp too, the kawai cl30 ... not sure if it was originally performed on that piano

If not, wouldn't that constitute fraud?

#1175450 - 04/06/09 10:40 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: pianozuki]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
I guess it would, yes - but i have no idea whether thats the case or not.

#1175452 - 04/06/09 10:47 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: pianozuki]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'm the OP.

If you mention a DP, please give its make and model.

Thanks
Sure -- I have a Privia PX-800. I selected that based upon the similarity of touch to the M&H. The sound is slightly different -- a richer bass and a much, much thinner treble. Still, I like it.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1175463 - 04/06/09 10:58 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: Wood-demon]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Haven't played either of those on this particular piano (or, for that matter, on the M&H). I'm not sure my old arthritic fingers will move fast enough to provide sufficient test for that today, but in my younger days I could play nearly fast enough for it. what I have played in terms of repeating notes is Albeniz' Leyenda. I will admit, however, that this latter is allegro ma non troppo and not as fast as the Tarantella so it may not be a reasonable comparison. I have found, however, that unless I'm really sloppy in my fingering I can play repeated notes as fast on the DP as I can on the M&H. But, then again, we have my own physical limitations which seem to be more a limit than the piano itself.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1175504 - 04/06/09 11:58 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: epf]
Wood-demon Offline
500 Post Club Member

Haven't played either of those on this particular piano (or, for that matter, on the M&H). I'm not sure my old arthritic fingers will move fast enough to provide sufficient test for that today, but in my younger days I could play nearly fast enough for it. what I have played in terms of repeating notes is Albeniz' Leyenda. I will admit, however, that this latter is allegro ma non troppo and not as fast as the Tarantella so it may not be a reasonable comparison. I have found, however, that unless I'm really sloppy in my fingering I can play repeated notes as fast on the DP as I can on the M&H. But, then again, we have my own physical limitations which seem to be more a limit than the piano itself.

Ed

Fairly measured repeated notes ore OK but those of the Gatling-gun variety which require rapid changes of fingers to produce, I have found, do not "come-off" on DPs at all reliably.
The Chopin demos posted elsewhere don't really address the problem which I mentioned.

#1175513 - 04/06/09 12:17 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: Wood-demon]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Aurora, CO

Fairly measured repeated notes ore OK but those of the Gatling-gun variety which require rapid changes of fingers to produce, I have found, do not "come-off" on DPs at all reliably.

That could have to do specifically with the level of polyphony supported. If your fingers are flying fast enough to exceed the level then there certainly could be issues.

#1175515 - 04/06/09 12:18 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: Wood-demon]
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
you'll be fine..

learning and acquiring skill is what is important..

i think it is easy to quickly acquire the technique to play different keyboards. i regularly play on different organs.. and adjust and learn quickly - how to adapt.

love and peace, ├Ľun (apple in Estonian)

#1175517 - 04/06/09 12:22 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: apple*]
pianozuki Offline

Originally Posted By: apple*
you'll be fine..

Who's the "you"? Me?

#1175518 - 04/06/09 12:22 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: Wood-demon]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

The Chopin demos posted elsewhere don't really address the problem which I mentioned.
I have the score for the Tarantella so I'll give it a try. On the other hand, the Scarlatti K141 does provide some short passages of rapidly repeating notes that require finger shifts to pull off and I used to play that. I'll pull it out and see how the PX-800 responds to those demands.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1175522 - 04/06/09 12:25 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: kennychaffin]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: kennychaffin

That could have to do specifically with the level of polyphony supported. If your fingers are flying fast enough to exceed the level then there certainly could be issues.
I suspect what he is talking about is more the ability of the key to support multiple strikes in a short period of time, not the level of polyphony. In this regard, even an upright loses a little to a grand because of the different orientation of the hammer structure. I suspect the mechanism for most DPs simply wasn't designed to fully duplicate the action of an acoustic piano, but more to duplicate the feel.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1175736 - 04/06/09 07:46 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: epf]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I'm not sure where I'd be if I started on a DP (I have a Yamaha P200), but I'm certain Liszt's Tarentella would be out of the question on this instrument. The issue of repeated notes is still not resolved for these beasts. It's also more difficult to play fast passages quietly, but at least that can be done.
I go to the music stores often to see if something new compares and it doesn't.

#1175742 - 04/06/09 07:57 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: pianozuki]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
That demo comes in my dp too, the kawai cl30 ... not sure if it was originally performed on that piano

If not, wouldn't that constitute fraud?

LOL, I'm sure they covered their butts on that one. I've heard the same demo's on a variety of keyboards over the years. It's often a midi sequence designed only to show off the sonic capabilities of the instrument.

#1175825 - 04/06/09 10:38 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: Damon]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Okay, now that I'm home I've tried my DP with the fastest passages with multiple key strikes -- and I think my fingers are too slow to hit the limit or, perhaps, I'm right at the limit. No matter how fast I was, the key was back and ready for the next note. As I said earlier, I'm getting old and I don't think my fingers are as fast as they once were -- but if that's the case it's not the DP holding me back. As with all comparisons of this nature, YMMV.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1175829 - 04/06/09 10:49 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: epf]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
My response is undoubtedly "unfair" because I have had little experience with the latest generation of digital pianos.

I like to think that the repertoire I play requires very subtle nuances in touch, in voicing and in pedaling, and with my limited experience with digital pianos, I nevertheless can not imagine a digital responding to to my musical needs as satisfactorily as a good grand.

Regards,

#1175841 - 04/06/09 11:14 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: BruceD]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
My response is undoubtedly "unfair" because I have had little experience with the latest generation of digital pianos.

I like to think that the repertoire I play requires very subtle nuances in touch, in voicing and in pedaling, and with my limited experience with digital pianos, I nevertheless can not imagine a digital responding to to my musical needs as satisfactorily as a good grand.
Bruce,

My spinet is not as responsive as a grand and my DP is also not as responsive as a grand. It does have better pedaling than the spinet, but still not quite what a grand offers. From a dynamic standpoint I'm able to get a reasonable pp and a marginally acceptable ppp at the other end of the spectrum the f is good while the ff is acceptable -- the fff just doesn't quite get there.

Still, for what I play these days it's not a limit. In fact, I think I can honestly say that had I had this particular DP from the beginning my skills would not be far off what I have now. I think I'm more limited by my own abilities than by the DP.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1175850 - 04/06/09 11:30 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: Kreisler]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler

No.

Agreed. My DP (A very nice one; I still have it) got me started, but without my Steinway I would be nowhere near where I am now.

#1175879 - 04/07/09 12:41 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: epf]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Bruce,

My spinet is not as responsive as a grand and my DP is also not as responsive as a grand. It does have better pedaling than the spinet, but still not quite what a grand offers. From a dynamic standpoint I'm able to get a reasonable pp and a marginally acceptable ppp at the other end of the spectrum the f is good while the ff is acceptable -- the fff just doesn't quite get there.

Still, for what I play these days it's not a limit. In fact, I think I can honestly say that had I had this particular DP from the beginning my skills would not be far off what I have now. I think I'm more limited by my own abilities than by the DP.

Ed

My concern would be - and I could only allay that concern by having the opportunity to play a quality DP - is whether or not a DP could respond to the very subtle voicing needs of some of my repertoire. I'm working on some transcriptions by Liszt of Lieder of Schubert and one Liszt transcription of a Mendelssohn Lied where, within a given range of two octaves, there are melody notes that pass between the two hands while accompaniment figures move both above and below the melody line. I have a similar challenge in the Op 117, No 1 Intermezzo of Brahms where the melody line has to be brought out in the right hand by the fingers between the thumb and fifth fingers which are playing an octave accompaniment.

So, my concern is not that of the range of dynamics of the instrument - or the limitations of that range - but the ability of the instrument to respond to such subtleties of touch that will bring out two or three levels of sound simultaneously, all within an overall dynamic of between mp and mf .

I would also be concerned about whether or not the digital piano can respond to the needs for half-pedaling, quarter-pedaling and and flutter pedaling.

Can a digital piano respond to such needs?

Regards,

#1175918 - 04/07/09 04:33 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: Kreisler]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kreisler

No.

Me neither.

#1175983 - 04/07/09 08:26 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: BruceD]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BruceD
My concern would be - and I could only allay that concern by having the opportunity to play a quality DP - is whether or not a DP could respond to the very subtle voicing needs of some of my repertoire. I'm working on some transcriptions by Liszt of Lieder of Schubert and one Liszt transcription of a Mendelssohn Lied where, within a given range of two octaves, there are melody notes that pass between the two hands while accompaniment figures move both above and below the melody line. I have a similar challenge in the Op 117, No 1 Intermezzo of Brahms where the melody line has to be brought out in the right hand by the fingers between the thumb and fifth fingers which are playing an octave accompaniment.

So, my concern is not that of the range of dynamics of the instrument - or the limitations of that range - but the ability of the instrument to respond to such subtleties of touch that will bring out two or three levels of sound simultaneously, all within an overall dynamic of between mp and mf .

I would also be concerned about whether or not the digital piano can respond to the needs for half-pedaling, quarter-pedaling and and flutter pedaling.

Can a digital piano respond to such needs?

Regards,
Bruce,

My DP supports half and flutter pedaling. Although it recognizes quarter pedaling (in fact, it's capable or recognizing any position between full up and full down) the sampling did not include a quarter pedal and so it would be simulated via filters and that simulation would be the same as half-pedaling.

I think you'd be pleased at the way you can bring out the various voices in the music. One of the pieces my children used to love hearing me play was the Moonlight Sonata with the melody singing out in the little finger of the right hand -- and this piano is certainly capable of that. One of my friends who is a Bach specialist is able to bring out two and three voices with no effort at all. On that score (no pun intended) the DP would serve well.

Ed

YouTube Channel

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (A Guy, 36251, Akpianoman, Al LaPorte, 39 invisible), 1762 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75483 Members
42 Forums
156069 Topics
2291839 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
by bennevis
07/22/14 05:05 PM
Hard Starting Intermediate
by frankeric
07/22/14 04:48 PM
And what about this one?
by leel
07/22/14 04:23 PM
No music rest for Roland stage pianos?
by Delphian2001
07/22/14 04:20 PM
Where is the new blood?
by Markarian
07/22/14 03:53 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission