Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
108 registered (ando, accordeur, 36251, Al LaPorte, anamnesis, 35 invisible), 1412 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#1177646 - 04/10/09 12:18 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: Chris H.]
MoodyBluesKeys Offline

Loc: Trent Woods, NC
In my case, I HAVE made my accomplishments on a digital instrument; although my playing is only now at an intermediate level. For several reasons, including financial, space, and the possibility of silent practice; a quality standard piano is not within my reach.

I play primarily on two instruments, the older is a Kurzweil PC2X, the newer is the Kurzweil PC3X. I am presently at a level where I am beginning to work on the easier pieces by Chopin.

On my digital, I do have the opportunity to practice whenever I wish, without disturbing others. More practice improves my playing at a faster rate than less practice on a grand. I do have three pedals, all functional (similar, although not exactly like the function of the three pedals on a grand). The damper pedal does not provide for half-pedaling. At this point, that has not posed a problem, although it might at some future point.

The PC3X in particular has a very good sound, especially in the souple of octaves beginning an octave above middle C - quite bell-like with sufficient sustain (the older electronic instruments that I have played to not perform well in this area). The instrument is NOT styled so as to look like a piano, being a pro keyboard that is stage piano shaped. By the way, the amplification and speaker systems employed make a large difference in its sound.

One area that I have noticed that is quite different from a traditional piano - if the key is not quite fully released, and struck again, it will sound (since the mechanism is not make like a traditional piano action) - if I am playing a traditional piano quite softly, I have to take extra precaution to be sure that all the notes are heard.

Life is a series of many compromises. Even if I were to inherit, or otherwise come into, a new Tier 1 grand piano; I would still not get rid of my Kurzweil. Now, part of this is because I also use my instruments as synthesizers in various ensembles, so I am not always playing piano. The action is harder than most spinet and studio pianos which I have played, about the same resistance as a local church's Yamaha grand, but less than the college's S&S model B. More important, I cannot (yet) play faster than it is capable of responding, and the action is very even.

Hopefully, my response is useful to the OP. My wife and myself will be playing in a recital in a couple of weeks. I plan to use it, having already tried the Kawaii studio that is at the recital site. I have been so well satisfied that I also purchased a 76key PC3 to use on gigs.
JBL 10&15 EONG2s, EV SxA100+s QSC K10s, HP & ThinkPad DAWs, eMu 1820M & 1616M.
Epi Les Paul & LP 5str Bass, Trace amp-cabinets.
Formerly in electronic keyboard repair trade - semi-retired

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1177961 - 04/10/09 02:33 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: pianozuki]
rrb Offline

Loc: Bend, USA
Originally Posted By: pianozuki
So: how many of the excellent pianists here practice mainly on a DP and don't have a grand piano? Does/did it limit your progress? ... Rephrasing: Can you imagine getting to where you are today if from the beginning you had used only one of the best DPs available now?

This thread has wandered quite a bit and thrown up a couple of possibly peripheral but rather interesting questions. This is my attempt at a summary.

If I interpret the original question as 'Does using a DP for practice hinder playing on a P?', the consensus answer seems to be 'No!, rather the converse, because use of a DP allows practice at times and in locations where practice on a P would be either antisocial or impossible'. An advantage of the DP which one can immediately understand and accept.

A secondary question that came to take over the thread is whether a modern DP 'sounds like' a P. Various posts suggest that a modern DP gets very close, though this refers, presumably, to a comparison of the sound generated by a DP + headphones versus the sound from a CD of a P playing the same piece, and listened to on the same headphones.

The question for which K-Ch proposed an experimental test, is, I think, a bit different.
'Suppose one set up in a concert setting a concert grand on the one hand, and a modern DP with the finest available sound reproduction system on the other. An opaque curtain separates these instruments from an audience. A selection of pieces from the literature is played on each instrument, with the audience unaware which instrument is being played. Each member of the audience is given a card with the sequence of pieces (say ABCDCBDA) listed and check boxes provided which are to be marked according to which instrument the listener believes is playing each piece. The results are then analyzed statistically to determine whether there is any bias one way or the other.'

Is this a reasonable description of your 'Turing Test' for DP v P, K-Ch? If so, the test is not only of the digital output of the DP but of the mechanical system that converts this into sound waves. Since I've never experienced a sound reproduction system that adequately reproduces the full dynamic range of a concert grand, I would expect the result of this test to be a foregone conclusion. Even if the waveform emitted by the DP were identical to that of the P, the sound reproduction system would distort it.

A fairer test for the DP may be to compare with recordings of a P made on an analogue master tape in a concert setting and reproduced from that tape via the same sound reproduction system used by the DP. (Of course, the recording onto the master tape will introduce distortion, but this is presumably significantly less than the mechanical distortion induced by the reproduction system.)

A third question, which has received almost no attention, is whether playing a DP gives the same level of enjoyment as playing on a P. I guess this is my question. I'd be interested in comments from people who've had the experience. A sensible formulation of the question might be:
'Do you get more, less or the same level of satisfaction when playing a concert grand or a modern DP?'

#1177990 - 04/10/09 03:12 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: rrb]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Aurora, CO
RRB, I think your potential experimental set up would work fine. smile

Again all I was interested in proposing was the experiment itself. It would hopefully be set up in a "proper" scientific manner to limit the variances and give useful results.

#1178166 - 04/10/09 09:16 PM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: rrb]
Larry B Offline

Loc: Boston
Originally Posted By: rrb
A sensible formulation of the question might be:
'Do you get more, less or the same level of satisfaction when playing a concert grand or a modern DP?'

Funny - I did this tonight. I was at Guitar Center with my son to buy an equipment case, and could note resist trying all the digitals. I played and still own a Yamaha P200 digital for several years before getting a decent acoustic. In fact, I owned an old (but playable) "stencil" baby grand piano from the 1920s at the time I bought the digital, and the digital was a good step up from that. The P200 is a very very good digital, with full weighted keys. I'm grateful to it and for it, as it was my main piano for some time.

That said, I played the (new model) P300 tonight, as well as a wide sampling of others in the US$800-2000 range.

It was not hard to adjust to the digitals, and in some cases, they were kind of easier to play. Dynamics that I struggle with a little on my grand were simpler because the instrument is simpler. Pieces on my grand with which I work to get the sustain just right through a combination of pedaling and good fingerwork were easier on the digital since the sustain is less complex and easier to control.

Classical music was most unsatisfying - no "depth" to it; while my favorite moment was playing Billy Joel's Rosalinda's Eyes with a setting that really sounded a lot like the Fender Rhodes he plays on that song.

So, do I like a good digital piano for some things? Yup. Great tools, they are. Having a to choose one or the other, would I be "satisfied" with one in place of my first-rate acoustic now? No way.

#1178410 - 04/11/09 10:56 AM Re: Could you have gotten where you are with a DP? [Re: pianozuki]
FunkyLlama Offline

Well, I have. An acoustic would be too costly, so I only have a digital. My piano teacher has a baby grand and I regularly play on the grand at college, so it's not too much of a problem playing on a proper piano.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What to Practice, Given My Goal
by st23
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Roland V Combo VR-09 Question
by contented
12/19/14 09:11 AM
Rachmoninoff Piano Concertos
by RED SHIFT1
12/19/14 08:48 AM
I just bought a Casio PX-780
by Rozzok
12/19/14 07:54 AM
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
12/19/14 06:44 AM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159983 Topics
2349351 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission