Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1186136 - 04/23/09 10:23 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: etcetra]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Also I would like to mention that the forum rules tell you

"Please do not use the forums to advertise or promote your business, services, or products."

do post like this break forum rules?

Edited by etcetra (04/23/09 10:28 PM)

Piano & Music Accessories
#1186143 - 04/23/09 10:33 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: etcetra]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
I personally see nothing wrong with what I'm doing here. If you do, then there's a simple solution - click away.

It's amazing how some are drawn back to this thread over and over as if some magic force is driving them.

If you have a problem with "what" I'm posting, take it up with the mods or with Frank and stop the harrasment. sleep

#1186147 - 04/23/09 10:49 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: eweiss]
YadielOmar Offline

Loc: P.R.
And all of this could have been avoided, next time post in the Adult beginner forum. Now then, by lesson four you say that I will be playing like the video of George Winston I presented... I saw lesson 111 and it really had little to do with George Winston. There is a site http://www.jazzpianolessons.com/ he give you clear and precise instruction and look he has a free trail, he gives you the freedom to create and and the tools to do so. Now I'm not promoting him, but he's a example of a good teacher that I would pay good money to learn from. Are you willing to give a free trail? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfBKD-HiWhI&feature=channel_page here's a video of him expressing himself freely and creating as he goes along. I would sign up to you, but as you can see, there are better teachers on the market. Also, I love the way you take my words out of context, with is pretty immature for someone of your age (late 40's wink So keep using my words to your advantage, but know that all your doing is proving me right

#1186154 - 04/23/09 10:57 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: R0B]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

R0B,

I don't think people are making conclusions just from this post. We've read other posts like this from ewiss.

In fact,

Originally Posted By: sotto voce
Ed, I didn't mean to offend, only to comment that my reaction was similar to that of pianoloverus and to observe that your approach isn't very likely to be useful in a subforum where we're playing classical music.

Steven

so i guess i wasn't the first one to suggest that smile

also from the same person

Originally Posted By: sotto voce
[quote=pianoloverus][...]
Ed, I would have thought that one such post in isolation was made in error—that you intended it for the Non-Classical or Adult Beginners Forum, perhaps. But coming right on the heels of the similar one about Debussy, it honestly seems as though you're casting the widest net for business and IMO has the appearance of a dummy thread for the purpose of self-promotion even if that wasn't your intent.

Steven

Edited by etcetra (04/23/09 11:02 PM)

#1186159 - 04/23/09 11:03 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: R0B]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: R0B
I don't know Ed, but I don't see why his link in his signature, is considered by some, to be nothing more than blatant self promotion, when I see others here, with similar links to their own business enterprises.
If I have missed the rules on posting links, I apologise.
Maybe someone could clarify this for me.

If you go to the main piano forum page, ROB, you can click on the "Are you a piano industry professional?" thread stickied at the top. It's actually a PW rule that if you are a piano industry professional (and Frank explicitly includes teachers in the list of occupations covered by this rule), you are *required* to declare your affiliation in your signature line, as Ed is doing.

I think either this or the AB forum would be appropriate places for Ed to have started this thread.

#1186160 - 04/23/09 11:04 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: YadielOmar]
YadielOmar Offline

To ROB; I didn't want to argue with him, I was just giving him some constructive criticism, and he took it personal. I like your playing and the format of your site, so you have nothing to be worried about, and you seem to be mainly interested in the well being of your students.

To Ed; Take a look at ROB's site http://www.learn2playmusic.com/ you could learn a thing or two laugh

#1186166 - 04/23/09 11:09 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: Monica K.]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Thanks Etcetra, and Monica, for putting me straight.
I am a relatively 'new kid on the block' here, and don't know the past history of other members.
I just took the OP at face value, and was suprised at the reaction.

Regards,
Rob

#1186175 - 04/23/09 11:18 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: R0B]
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Beautiful San Diego, CA
My purpose in posting here was not to cause so much stress and strain. If I offended anyone, I apologize. Such was not my intent.

I'm a teacher who is trying to turn people on to the New Age style of piano playing. I know not everyone likes it and perhaps I posted in the wrong place.

I'll know better from now on.

#1186185 - 04/23/09 11:45 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: eweiss]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I really find it offensive that etcetra and YadielOmar seem to think that beginners in a particular style aren't welcome in this forum - and that is the implication when the two of them keep insisting that a video aimed at beginners shouldn't be posted here. Whether I agree or not with ed's posting history really has nothing to do with it - this is the *non-classical* forum, not the *if you're addressing beginners go somewhere else* forum. I'm a regular poster in the ABF, and relatively new at improvisation. I'm not a new age stylist, but I see no reason why I shouldn't come to the non-classical forum for hints on improvisation. I've read *many* helpful posts in this forum - posts that are addressed to beginners. There's a whole thread at this very minute in which a new improvisor has posted videos and is being given suggestions by more experienced posters. Should the new improvisor have not posted in the non-classical forum precisely because he's a beginner at improvising?

And etcetra keeps saying that because "he/she" is more advanced that posts directed at beginners should be somewhere else. I don't agree. The non-classical forum isn't just for people at etcetra's skill level, whatever that may be. And I don't really think etcetra and YadielOmar are the arbitrators on what skill level one has to be addressing in order to post here.

If a post addressed to beginners doesn't interest you, just click away from it and go to a thread that does. If you're not willing to make suggestions to beginners, don't. But IMHO it's really not up to you to say that no one else can. Whether or not beginners and those who are addressing them are offensive to you if they're posting in this forum is a separate issue from whether or not you like ed's posts, and it's an issue I disagree with you heartily on.

Cathy

#1186197 - 04/24/09 12:09 AM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: jotur]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

jotour,

i think someone posting a video for suggestion is very different than whats happening here. and apparently someone else in another post made similar comments so I am sure its not just me or yadielOmar. It's not that he is not welcome to post in non-classical thread or that its offensive, but that it might be more helpful/relevant in Adult beginner forum.

ed,

maybe we're confused because some of the material had appearance "of being a self promotion". i am sorry if I misunderstood your intent.

Edited by etcetra (04/24/09 12:24 AM)

#1186206 - 04/24/09 12:35 AM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: etcetra]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Sorry, etcetra, but you're confusing the issues. Quite obviously you don't like ed's posts because *you* think he might have violated forum rules, or perhaps you don't like something else he's done. I'm with ed - if that's really what you think the problem is, take it to the moderators or to Frank. But you've made it quite clear that the fact that it was aimed at beginners made it not appropriate here, or that maybe it's "more relevant" in the ABF, and that is a separate issue. Do you think all the "beginners" in the ABF are interested in improvising? They're all interested in new age music? They're more likely to excuse someone that you think is misusing the forum? Just what does make it more relevant there? For that matter, do you think all the folks who post in the ABF are beginners? Try listening to some of the recitals sometime. Just why is "someone posting a video for suggestion" ok, but someone posting something addressing beginners not ok? And that is a separate issue from whether or not you think ed's posts "might" be against forum rules. And you have made it pretty clear that you think ed's videos might be ok if only they were in the ABF. And I disagree.

Have you checked that book on How to Play Stride Piano that I suggested? Perhaps that is more appropriate to your level of playing.

Cathy

#1186215 - 04/24/09 01:06 AM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: jotur]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

jotur,

again its not about what is okay and what isn't okay. I did not use the word "appropriate"

i was reading comments posted on the thread, and most of the comments were about 1) how this teaching method was ineffective 2) people defending the value his method, and how it may be helpful to "others", or 3)suggestion to expand on his ideas. I have not read many response saying that watching this was helpful 'learning experience' for them. So I felt like this material is reaching the wrong audience.

It's like me posting a thread on coltrane changes on classical forum. Most likely someone will tell me that this post will be better off at a non-classical forum where the information may be more relevant.

i agree that whether what ed does violate the forum rule is separate issue, and I am addressing that separately..and it would have been better off to go directly to the moderator instead of having this long winded discussion.

but assuming that it isn't i thought this post might get more positive response in the adult beginner forum which ed even said is who its mainly intended for.

Edited by etcetra (04/24/09 01:18 AM)

#1186218 - 04/24/09 01:19 AM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: jotur]
YadielOmar Offline

Well I have nothing to apologize for, now if you're busy paying attention to Ed's comment which distort the message I'm saying that's your problem. It's not about levels, he started this post with a blatant sales pitch that was cheesier than a mouse's savings account and when jw7480 said it didn't go anywhere, he replied fairly defensively, instead of explaining calmly that that's the idea of New Age music.
Jotur, if you want a example of basic modal improvisation which is the basis of New Age music then here's a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tobMf2RZL84&feature=channel_page

Yeah, it's a trumpet and it's jazz, but it shows you step by step how modal improv works. Add this to what he explained in the beginning and you'll be on your way to improvising. See, get to know me before you judge me. And if you use this phrase against me, remember I'm helping you for free when I can easily withhold this info. I really hope this helps you on improve jotur

Edited by YadielOmar (04/24/09 01:20 AM)

#1186231 - 04/24/09 01:46 AM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: YadielOmar]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

YadieOlmar -

I *am* on my way to improvising smile I know quite a bit about modes because I play modal music regularly smile I said specifically in my post that I don't play new age music smile I do understand, however, that I can learn from people who play styles of music which I don't play smile If you knew me you'd know that I regularly learn from people who play other instruments and what they do with those instruments smile I am not sure what, in your post above, I can learn about you other than that you think that particular youtube video is valuable for folks learning to improvise, and that you think there was a blatant sales pitch in the original post, which you did not bother to quote. So it's entirely possible that others didn't see it that way smile Since you are also claiming that, and I quote, "it's not about levels", then I really don't see what your comment in your post #1186147, and I quote, "And all of this could have been avoided, next time post in the Adult beginner forum." was about smile

But that's just me smile

Cathy

#1186236 - 04/24/09 01:54 AM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: jotur]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

etcetra - it seeems to me you're basically a good guy. But I will have to say that I don't think anyone is responsible for a thread they've started taking a different direction than they intended. And I don't think this thread was posted in order to elicit comments on the teaching method. The fact that those were the first comments isn't the OP's responsibility. Did he react defensively to the first comment that the music didn't "go anywhere?" Maybe. But this thread went south before the folks for whom it was at least nominally intended had a chance to respond, as do many threads, actually. So - I guess we'll have to agree to disagree - I think the right audience may well have gravitated to this thread had the negative folks not gotten here first. Oh well. That's kind of life on the forums. I just don't think that the fact that the teaching-method disagreements got posted first is evidence that this forum is the wrong audience.

But I'll continue to read your posts with interest - I do like yor enthusiasm.

Cathy

#1186244 - 04/24/09 02:27 AM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: jotur]
YadielOmar Offline

Hahaha, nice... I got burned laugh still just in case anyone has any doubts on what to do with the right hand and doesn't know that new age is modal then that's a good resource! Sorry I came off as rude, just got a little worked up and didn't think straight. Well, I agree with you on learning from everyone, and as I said 3 times before

HE HAS SOME GOOD IDEAS, JUST NOT WORTH THE ASKING PRICE.

There's other concepts that are tied with this that might confuse a beginner and I speak from experience. I wasn't ripping on him, I was just suggesting he should explain that new age is mostly modal.

Sales pitch;

So many students would just love to sit down at the piano and play. Yet these same students think you need years upon years of study to improvise successfully.

But that's where they're wrong! What If I was to show you a simple technique that will have you improvising in no time at all. Would that be something you might be interested in? If you answered yes, listen, because what I'm about to share with you will have you creating a rich full sound at the keyboard.

The technique I'm referring to is called the ostinato pattern.

It's not difficult. All you have to do is get the pattern down in your left hand. Then, you simply "jump in" with the right to improvise your own unique melody. A great example of this is in the video "Images of Yosemite" available below.

The problem students sometimes have is maintaining the pattern in the left hand. The reason for this is usually the same - they are playing too fast! There's no reason to. After all, the goal is for you to create your own music. And music is what we want. To get it, you need to SLOW DOWN at first until the pattern is firmly established. Then you add in your own improvised melody.

The music in the above video contains 2 chords. That's it! Just 2 chords and we have all we need to begin our improvisation.

No need to make it any more complicated than that. In fact, problems arise when students try to make something more than what they're ready for. My advice? Slow down, take your time, and you'll be well on your way to successful improvisation.

In Bold "HE HAS SOME GOOD IDEAS, JUST NOT WORTH THE ASKING PRICE"
I think you're cool and have a good insight in your comments, and sorry again for coming off as rude, not my intention smile

Edited by YadielOmar (04/24/09 02:28 AM)

#1186255 - 04/24/09 03:20 AM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: YadielOmar]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

jotur,

thanks, a lot of what i've said is based on my previous experiences.. so I do admit that while part of me wants to be supportive of what is happening, i feel ambivalent because of some of the remark made about classical music and other things.

when a piano teacher or a trained musician sees this, the comment is usually going to be about 'constructive' criticism of the method, which is more or less what ed is getting right now.

just imagine if i posted a thread about 'colrtane changes' if i present it as a student asking question, i will get experts who are willing to explain to me what they are (hopefully), but if i just post it as a teaching material it would not be very effective.. the problem is no one asked for that information and its going to be very vague as to who its going to help. Chances are i will be getting response from people who already know the stuff... i guess in that sense, stuff like this gets evaluated just like when people post youtube recording on the forum

#1186472 - 04/24/09 12:48 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: etcetra]
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
I'm getting complaints about this thread. If anyone thinks the thread is not appropriate, breaks forum rules, etc., you should send a message to the moderators. The complaints I'm getting is about the OT discussion of whether the thread is appropriate or not.
I don't see a problem with the topic of tis thread, so please get back on topic, or I will have to close it.

#1186607 - 04/24/09 03:48 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: etcetra]
Busy Bee Offline

What is the world is the "non-classical forum" for if it's not for non classical threads?

Etc, Yadiel, and Betty, you need to get a life. Just because someone is promoting something that you're not in to, doesn't warrant this type of reaction. Yadiel, who asked you if you liked Ed's cd's, lessons and videos? Betty, who asked you what to teach, promote and share on this site? Maybe you three should start your own website, "Play Like Us And If You're Not Like Us, You're Not Welcome" Yeah, do it and go away already with your stupid jealousy.

#1186651 - 04/24/09 04:55 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: Busy Bee]
YadielOmar Offline

Originally Posted By: Busy Bee
What is the world is the "non-classical forum" for if it's not for non classical threads?

Etc, Yadiel, and Betty, you need to get a life. Just because someone is promoting something that you're not in to, doesn't warrant this type of reaction. Yadiel, who asked you if you liked Ed's cd's, lessons and videos? Betty, who asked you what to teach, promote and share on this site? Maybe you three should start your own website, "Play Like Us And If You're Not Like Us, You're Not Welcome" Yeah, do it and go away already with your stupid jealousy.

Hahaha, nice one! c'mon don't get all worked up and chillax. We gave some suggestions, it got a little heated ed's cool about it, I was a beginner too! It's nothing personal, were just presenting a contrasting point for people to have more than one point of view, that's all.

#1186660 - 04/24/09 05:18 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: YadielOmar]
YadielOmar Offline

The mod is right, back to topic... Good idea, great for beginners, thanks Edwiess I have nothing to add because I am not as open-minded and creative as you are... I said everything I needed to say

#1186674 - 04/24/09 05:47 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: YadielOmar]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1130790/Searchpage/1/Main/81228/Words/quiescence/Search/true/Re:%20Five%20Minute%20Piano%20Improvis.html#Post1130790

its funny I just remembered ed went by a different name.. no wonder this post looked very familiar....

this quote pretty much sums up my point of view

Originally Posted By: JerryG
A suggestion for you Quiescen, your "helpful emails" are likely to have the reverse effect on your business. People on this forum might get the impression that you are not here to offer helpful suggestions but rather for pecuniary gain. You are likely to send the wrong message.

There have been several responses to your posts indicating the perceived nature of your your posts as nothing more than trying to advertise on a forum that prohibits advertising.

You sound like you may have something to offer those in search of what you teach, but you might want to consider that you seem to be generating negative advertising here.

Just my opinion but something you might think about.

Edited by etcetra (04/24/09 05:53 PM)

#1186699 - 04/24/09 06:53 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: etcetra]
YadielOmar Offline

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1184271/Re:%20What%20is%20This%20Pianist%20Doing.html#Post1184271

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1179901/Re:%20Create%20Your%20Own%20Music%20with.html#Post1179901

#1186721 - 04/24/09 07:43 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: YadielOmar]
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
As a beginner who has decided to look into blues and improvisation, I have only recently dipped into this sub forum. I have never heard of an ostinato pattern. I like the relative simplicity of the example posted. K.I.S.S works for me.

#1186846 - 04/24/09 11:17 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Piano! [Re: eweiss]
BJones Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Queens, NY
Originally Posted By: eweiss
So many students would just love to sit down at the piano and play. Yet these same students think you need years upon years of study to improvise successfully.

But that's where they're wrong! What If I was to show you a simple technique that will have you improvising in no time at all. Would that be something you might be interested in? If you answered yes, listen, because what I'm about to share with you will have you creating a rich full sound at the keyboard.

The technique I'm referring to is called the ostinato pattern.

It's not difficult. All you have to do is get the pattern down in your left hand. Then, you simply "jump in" with the right to improvise your own unique melody. A great example of this is in the video "Images of Yosemite" available below.

The problem students sometimes have is maintaining the pattern in the left hand. The reason for this is usually the same - they are playing too fast! There's no reason to. After all, the goal is for you to create your own music. And music is what we want. To get it, you need to SLOW DOWN at first until the pattern is firmly established. Then you add in your own improvised melody.

The music in the above video contains 2 chords. That's it! Just 2 chords and we have all we need to begin our improvisation.

No need to make it any more complicated than that. In fact, problems arise when students try to make something more than what they're ready for. My advice? Slow down, take your time, and you'll be well on your way to successful improvisation.

This is actually very nice, and nicely played. My impressions about it theoretically is that stylistically, it's right out of very early, pre-Bach-Vivaldi-Handel, Renaissance period. It has the sound of Palestrina and other modal-madrigal compositions very typical of that period, the same type of accompaniament, ornamentation, and modal melodic material.

Cool School Chopin:

http://www.mediafire.com/?d1yc1mmitew

Improvisations:

http://www.box.net/shared/bjv6yc34oo

http://www.box.net/shared/8lmc3hzikl

#1186847 - 04/24/09 11:18 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: Sundew]
BJones Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Sundew
As a beginner who has decided to look into blues and improvisation, I have only recently dipped into this sub forum. I have never heard of an ostinato pattern. I like the relative simplicity of the example posted. K.I.S.S works for me.

99% of all blues and R&B piano left hand configurations are ostinatos!

Cool School Chopin:

Improvisations:

#1186886 - 04/25/09 12:25 AM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: BJones]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I thought it fit the slide show, too smile

When I first started doing (what little) improv I do, it was adding bass note runs in the left hand. So mostly I just made sure I landed on the tonic of the chord on the first beat of the measure laugh When I started doing improvs as accompaniment to English country dance music - Purcell, early Baroque pieces - I would keep the left hand on block chords, which is probably the simplest ostinato, and keep the right hand essentially on the chord, and just wiggle my RH fingers rhythmically, essentially. But it added a nice little sort of ornament sounding thing behind the melody players, and gave me some confidence that I could "make things up". A very similar technique can be really effective under the melodies of waltzes, or doing little runs from chord to chord in either hand.

And I think the advice to "slow down" when you're first learning is right on. I get sort of discouraged sometimes that I can't always do it at speed (I play for contra dances, and the tempos can be sort of breakneck), but when it turns out I *can* do it slower it gives me hope.

I'm working on doing some more adventurous improvs in a honky-tonk style now, and it's a blast.

Cathy

#1187332 - 04/25/09 06:39 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: jotur]
BJones Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: jotur
I'm working on doing some more adventurous improvs in a honky-tonk style now, and it's a blast.

Cathy

Then be sure to listen to Leon Russell.

Cool School Chopin:

Improvisations:

#1187540 - 04/26/09 04:25 AM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: BJones]
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
BJones, thank you for that snippet of information. I readily admit to being a "musical illiterate". I'm adding terms to my vocabulary as I come across them rather than actively seek them out, lest I become overwhelmed! smile

Cathy, thanks for those ideas. When faced with my first improvisation task I froze. A simple whole note shell progression LH and the first 5 notes of the Cmaj blues scale RH. I have thawed a little now but suspect my efforts are still pretty risible. What it hammered home was the need to have the LH pattern secure under my fingers. I thought practicing the same simple patterns over and over would be boring, but oddly it isn't.With Alfred I developed the tendency to think "that will do" and moved on.

Glad you are having a blast, that's what its about IMO. I'm fizzling but have no intention of "fizzling out". grin

#1187718 - 04/26/09 02:03 PM Re: Two Chords Creates a Rich Full Sound on the Pi [Re: etcetra]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Originally Posted By: etcetra
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1130790/Searchpage/1/Main/81228/Words/quiescence/Search/true/Re:%20Five%20Minute%20Piano%20Improvis.html#Post1130790

its funny I just remembered ed went by a different name.. no wonder this post looked very familiar....

this quote pretty much sums up my point of view

Originally Posted By: JerryG
A suggestion for you Quiescen, your "helpful emails" are likely to have the reverse effect on your business. People on this forum might get the impression that you are not here to offer helpful suggestions but rather for pecuniary gain. You are likely to send the wrong message.

There have been several responses to your posts indicating the perceived nature of your your posts as nothing more than trying to advertise on a forum that prohibits advertising.

You sound like you may have something to offer those in search of what you teach, but you might want to consider that you seem to be generating negative advertising here.

Just my opinion but something you might think about.

I have resisted the urge to jump in on this thread and I know that the moderator Phlebas has cautioned us to stay on topic. However, I am concerned by the self-serving nature of eweiss/quiescence's threads, this one included, but especially a couple of recent ones he started in the "In the News" sub forum. That forum is for posting piano/related articles from newspapers, magazines, and the web. And yet eweiss uses it as an opportunity to publish his own (unpublished) press releases, blatantly advertising his own services. He is surely pushing the envelope of what is considered permissible here. Unfortunately, the "In the News" forum has no moderator so I cannot report it to anyone but it all fits in the self-serving nature of Ed's posts, first as quiescence and now as eweiss. It is not my desire to attack him but we must call a spade a spade. Here, have a look at these and tell me if this is not advertising:
eweiss online lessons
eweiss cures stress
quiescen online lessons

His advertising and the way he demeans classical pianists (calling them mere "typists") moved me to post this. He needs to stop pushing his services and show some respect to all forms of music.

Edited by jazzyprof (04/26/09 02:15 PM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
128 registered (aesop, accordeur, aDino, 36251, Al LaPorte, 33 invisible), 1598 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75581 Members
42 Forums
156278 Topics
2295122 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
07/30/14 03:53 AM
Using Kawai MP6 faders/knobs with virtual instruments?
by chicolom
07/30/14 02:35 AM
Coming up with new compositional methods.
by gsmonks
07/30/14 01:58 AM
Impromptu in A
by Ritzycat
07/30/14 12:42 AM
what do you think piano teachers about it?
by Maximillyan
07/30/14 12:15 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission