Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1178353 - 04/11/09 07:50 AM 7 year old Kawai 506S in ex cond - fair price?
dingap Offline

I will take a look at Kawai 506S.
It is 7 year old and in mint condition as advertised.
How much would be a fair price? Assuming a comparable new Kawai can be purchased at around $5000~$6000, $2000 would be a good price? Or, steal or just fair price?
I would still need to pay for $300~$400 for moving.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1178451 - 04/11/09 12:17 PM Re: 7 year old Kawai 506S in ex cond - fair price? [Re: dingap]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The 506S was not Kawai's finest work. I am not a fan. Especially from that era when they were ramping up their Indonesian factory. You can do better for that money.

#1178689 - 04/11/09 08:08 PM Re: 7 year old Kawai 506S in ex cond - fair price? [Re: Marty Flinn]
dingap Offline

I looked at 506S and I was not impressed. It was rarely played and looked like just new inside out, but the sound was pretty dull. The base was tiny and the treble was thin. It has not been tuned since purchased.
I also looked at 25 year old Kawai 803F and 20 year old Kawai UST-8, advertised at $1000 and $1800, respectively. According to the owner, 803F was bought new but rarely played at all. It looked like a very fine piece of furniture, but the sound was worse than 506S. It was not tuened for over 15 years old.

UST-8 was different. It has a full and loud base and the treble was very clear and bell like sound. The action was a bit heavy. However, it looked heavily played and some keys looked uneven -- the middle E is tiny bit (about 2~3 mm) lower, and some keys did not look straight, which means some keys separated more/less than other keys each other. Also, there was some uneveness of volume, barely noticeable, but still noticeable. The touch was all even, according to myself and my wife.

I don't think I would go for any of these.
Thanks for your input.

#1178769 - 04/11/09 11:13 PM Re: 7 year old Kawai 506S in ex cond - fair price? [Re: dingap]
Nick Mauel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Sarasota and Naples, FL
Hi,

The problem with the pianos you mentioned, as you indicate, is that they have not been tuned.

If you want to save money via a private party transaction you have to take a slight risk in not knowing what the final outcome will be. 2 tunings will make a HUGE difference.

My pick would be the 803. There is a big difference in the quality versus the 506. It was made in Japan. The other piano had some cosmetic issues with the keys which show it has been used quite a bit.

I once sold a used 800 series Kawai console that was one of the most incredible sounding pianos ever. Big bass, and they were built very well. It's not overpriced, and if you could get it for even less, and the furniture is good, it would be absolute steal. Just my 2 cents, as Bear would say.

Nick
239-206-4541 direct line
www.nickspiano.com

Concert Piano Technician, Dealer, and Pianist

#1179305 - 04/12/09 10:57 PM Re: 7 year old Kawai 506S in ex cond - fair price? [Re: Nick Mauel]
dingap Offline

Thanks.
I talked to a local piano technician today. He told me that there is not whole lot of difference between 803 ($1000, 1985) and UST-8 ($1700, 1993). His pick was also 803. He pretty much ruled out 506S. He told me that the dull sound of 803 most likey has to do with the piano not being tuned for a long time. Since 803 is much nicer looking furniture in home, he also prefers it to UST-8 which is mainly targeted for studio use and looks quite sterile. The dark cherry color of 803 also matches to our living room, but the light oak color of UST-8 would not fit well in the my living room. However, my mind is still toward UST-8 mainly due to the sound, and I may go for it if the keys can be easily straitened out and there is no major issues found, and if I can go a bit lower.
I will bring him to take a look at both and decide between the two.

Many thanks for your input.

Edited by dingap (04/12/09 11:02 PM)

#1179417 - 04/13/09 06:35 AM Re: 7 year old Kawai 506S in ex cond - fair price? [Re: dingap]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
dingap,

You are going about this the right way. By all means bring the piano tech. to examine your choices. I am also not a fan of the 506S, but the new selling price that you have quoted for this series is also quite high, at least here in the Philly area.

I think you may wind up with a piano you enjoy. Good luck!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1179902 - 04/13/09 11:26 PM Re: 7 year old Kawai 506S in ex cond - fair price? [Re: Rich Galassini]
dingap Offline

My technician checked 803F and he found it is terribly out of tune. He said he would need to tune 3 times to make it in perfect tune, which would cost me about $150.
Oddly, he was more impressed by the look. The 25 year old piano does not have any scratches on inside/outside. It also looked a very nice piece of furniture. According to him, it worth $1000 just as a good looking furniture. confused
He promised me that after it is tuned, it would sound much better. I hope so.

In the mean while, my wife just played a 15 year old Weinbach 114 (44"). It is rarely played and almost like new inside out. It is being sold from a piano store and in perfedt tune. Asking price is $3000. The problem is, she likes Weinbach much more than any Kawais. The touch was more refined and the sound was full and round. According to the seller, no Kawai upright is a close match to his Weinbach. shocked
Anyway, I don't want to spend that much of money for Weinbach, and it looks almost likely that the $1000 Kawai 803F would be my new piano.

Edited by dingap (04/13/09 11:38 PM)

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
109 registered (AndrewJCW, ando, Abby Pianoman, accordeur, 35 invisible), 1610 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156295 Topics
2295390 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How old is a Ahlborn-Galanti Digital Pipe Organ Chronicler
by Chopinlover49
07/30/14 10:55 PM
1906 Steinway K52 purchase for recording studio?
by nlive
07/30/14 10:44 PM
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
07/30/14 09:59 PM
Baldwin E250 1998
by sort
07/30/14 08:11 PM
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
07/30/14 06:01 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission