2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi. Been lurking a while, thought I'd take the plunge. Thanks for all the helpful information on this site. I look forward in sharing my progress with all of you.. I'm playing mostly jazz / blues, but I'm trying to devour anything I can. Loving it.

I've read Rodneys post on voicings and it is amazing. Still a bit over my head at times, but what I can grasp has been very helpful.

I've picked up a Easy Jazz fake book, and can get the lead melody with my right hand down, and understand the voicing patterns of the accompanying left hand chords, but my question is about the rhythmic patterns with the left.

Since the chord names are printed on the top of the ledger lines, with no indication of what rhythm to play them in, I assume it's open to interpretation, but is there a starting point to these rhythms?

Like maybe a collection of popular rhythmic patterns written in notation? Many of the songs will say, "to be played as a slow swing" Is there a specific rhythm pattern for "a slow swing" or a starting point to practice with? I'm not at the point where I can just dream up patterns in my head.

Well, hope this all makes sense and isn't to basic of a questions.

Thanks for the help and guidance.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to delurking, 88fingersLouie! smile I agree with you that Rodney's thread is a fount of information. thumb

I will let one of the jazz experts on the forum answer your question about standard left hand rhythms. My understanding is that a swing rhythm is, e.g., a pattern of repeated dotted eighth and sixteenth notes, as opposed to playing straight eighths. A slow swing, I guess, would be to do the same, just not very fast. crazy

Guess I will quit while I'm behind and just say welcome again. grin

P
P
Swing is played more like a triplet with the first two notes tied together. Basically, the eighth notes on the downbeat get a longer duration than the eighth notes on the upbeat. Kinda like, bah-da-bah-da-bah-da-bah.....

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission