Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1177226 - 04/09/09 08:10 AM OT - So Proud of the Captain and Crew
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Everyone please pray for the safety of Captain Richard Phillips of the Maersk Alabama. The living conditions of a lifeboat are hard to describe. There is plenty of food and water for five persons, but engine fuel for only 24 hours and no comfort. It’s a Mexican Standoff right now, but I expect the situation will simply wear the pirates down and they will surrender.

I sailed on ships for 24 years and held a Captain's license myself (but started by washing dishes). I have never been so proud to have been part of the United States Merchant Marines.

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#1177263 - 04/09/09 09:38 AM Re: OT - So Proud of the Captain and Crew [Re: UnrightTooner]
JDelmore Offline
500 Post Club Member

Richard Pryor once said that the Japanese attacked us in WWII because they'd come over here, gone to school in California and the Northeast...and thought we were all that "soft". But what they didn't know was that there were some boys down in Alabama they had to keep on chains...perhaps the ships name "wore off" on the crew...

God bless the crew, and keep the captain safe.

"There is always room above; there is only the ground below."....F.E. Morton (with props to Del F.)

#1177271 - 04/09/09 09:57 AM Re: OT - So Proud of the Captain and Crew [Re: UnrightTooner]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
I understand there has been more than 20 incidents of piracy there since January, been praying for a quick and safe resolution to all of them. This time it happens to be an American ship, the Somali pirates don’t discriminate apparently. Somalia is a desperate situation for a lot of the population…….many do not see any other way of obtaining money.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#1177289 - 04/09/09 10:32 AM Re: OT - So Proud of the Captain and Crew [Re: Silverwood Pianos]
Gene Nelson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
But what they didn't know was that there were some boys down in Alabama they had to keep on chains...perhaps the ships name "wore off" on the crew...
RPT
PTG Member

#1177310 - 04/09/09 11:51 AM Re: OT - So Proud of the Captain and Crew [Re: Gene Nelson]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Well, regardless of where you might be from, becoming a seafarer can toughen you up a bit.

#1179552 - 04/13/09 12:22 PM Re: OT - So Proud of the Captain and Crew [Re: UnrightTooner]
Emmery Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Niagara Region, On. Canada
Its nice to see the Capt. freed, even if it was after well perforating 3 pirates. Perhaps in the future some very well armed private ships can cruise the area portraying themselves as tourists or fisherman and confronting attacking pirates with superior firepower. They may think twice about whether its worth it. Hemingway did the same during WW2 when he tried to lure Nazi ships and U-Boats near his well armed private fishing boat called the Pilar. I think it would be highly advisable for US and French transport ships to better arm themselves in the future or steer clear of the area.

#1179556 - 04/13/09 12:32 PM Re: OT - So Proud of the Captain and Crew [Re: Emmery]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
I was so relieved to see that the captain was rescued. His willingness to sacrifice himself for the safety of his crew was humbling. He is a true hero in every sense of the word.

I read that the U.S. ship that was hijacked was carrying food aid for the Somali people. To think that the pirates would hijack a ship carrying food meant to save their fellow countrymen and women from starvation makes me just sick. And now they're threatening to retaliate and shoot more hostages in the future?!?

*sigh*

#1179560 - 04/13/09 12:34 PM Re: OT - So Proud of the Captain and Crew [Re: Emmery]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Emmery
Its nice to see the Capt. freed, even if it was after well perforating 3 pirates. Perhaps in the future some very well armed private ships can cruise the area portraying themselves as tourists or fisherman and confronting attacking pirates with superior firepower. They may think twice about whether its worth it. Hemingway did the same during WW2 when he tried to lure Nazi ships and U-Boats near his well armed private fishing boat called the Pilar. I think it would be highly advisable for US and French transport ships to better arm themselves in the future or steer clear of the area.

The way I read it, the SEAL snipers used exactly 3 bullets. Amazing shooting, and commendable bravery on the part of the captain for giving himself up to save his crew, and to the SEALs who freed him. thumb

#1179565 - 04/13/09 12:37 PM Re: OT - So Proud of the Captain and Crew [Re: UnrightTooner]
Piano World Online   blank

Loc: Parsonsfield, ME (originally N...
I didn't have any captain's papers (although a couple of my friends did), but I did put in some time at sea.

Fishing draggers out of Gloucester , tug boats from Boston, and lobster boats out of Newport (RI).

(yup, that's me a looong time ago).

Glad the Captain and crew are safe, hats off to them and to the Navy SEALs.
www.PianoSupplies.com
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Twitter.com/PianoWorld
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond XK-3, Hammond A-100, Estey 1895 Pump Organ
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
And please invite everyone you know to join our piano forums!

#1179578 - 04/13/09 01:00 PM Re: OT - So Proud of the Captain and Crew [Re: Piano World]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Gloucester! When I was in the Coast Guard, we dreaded assistance calls from Gloucester boats. Was there any weather that would keep them in port? smile

I sailed to Somalia 15 years ago. If the Secretary of State wants to place blame for the situation we are in now, she can turn to her husband.

#1179830 - 04/13/09 08:45 PM Re: OT - So Proud of the Captain and Crew [Re: Piano World]
ranger Offline

Loc: USA
Piano World, when I first saw your picture, I thought you were carrying a marimba...

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
120 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, ando, 44 invisible), 1372 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74256 Members
42 Forums
153602 Topics
2251228 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Action regulating
by pater57
Today at 08:59 AM
Kurzweil SP5-8 as main studio keyboard/stage piano
by Barty
Today at 08:33 AM
Greg Pauley in Concert June 1st, Sunday 3:30pm
by Larry Buck
Today at 07:58 AM
Happy Easter!
by Marko in Boston
Today at 06:58 AM
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
Today at 04:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission