2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Gonna party like its nineteen ninety four! laugh laugh laugh

The day the earth stood still.

According to the 1994 consumer report I should consider buying a Detroit built Oldsmobile today.

Given that :

a) Larry Fine's book put out today and in 1994 is one of subjective rankings based on:
- unscientific and statistically invalid (small, incomparable) samples of in turn subjective opinions of technicians and
- a process of give and take consensus building combined with the occasional provocative changes to sell more books;

and

b) internet is basically a post-1995 phenomenon that has dramatically changed the amount, quality and availability of information about piano brands.

One could be forgiven for questioning if it has been really just the quality of these pianos that has improved over the last 15 years or in fact the quality of factual information over these pianos...which Fine was forced to follow.

T
T
Yes, Mr. Treibitz, you actually did complement Larry Fine saying "His books serve a valuable purpose" while at the same time completely contradiction some of his strongest points in effect calling him an idiot. One of Larry Fine's strongest points is that the Samick and Young Chang pianos of the 1980s are of highly mediocre quality, in effect junk. You completely contradict this saying they are great.

It is a true salesman's skill to make completely contradictory statement sound like perfect sense. I stand in awe of your skill.

You did call Larry Fine incompetent, however.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
'Highly mediocre' could have different interpretations, none of which would mean junk.
Junk is something of no value...which reminds me of you.

Why don't you start a new thread....."Posting members that should be ignored?" I have an idea whose name would top the list. laugh

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
ha laugh

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
It's times like this that I think of Adrians (ABJ) signature line. thumb

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey there Mr. or Ms. ThreeBees.

Don't put words into my mouth and don't misquote my posts in the distorted and vile way that you have! Any intelligent person reading my posts will see that your characterizations of my words are totally off base.

Your tone in general is not a positive addition to this online community.

Glenn Treibitz

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Steingraeber,Grotrian,Mason&Hamlin,Petrof,Estonia,Steinberg,Schulze-Pollmann,Baldwin,
Ritmuller,Perzina,Pearl River,Hardman,Roland,Used Steinway
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by ThreeBees:
Would you buy a piano from a guy who attacks Larry Fine?
Huh?! Since when Larry Fine has become God and could not be criticized? Do you worship him?

As a consumer all I care is what price and service a dealer can offer to me. I am not going to pay a premium just because the dealer sings praise to certain character of no interest to me.

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CozyWriter:
Hmmm... I'm curious as to the context of that. Are you basing those brand reviews on opinion or fact?

Larry Fine is the author of "The Piano Book" which has rated piano brands for more than the past 20 year and is the only such book available.

In the 1994 edition Larry Fine completely trashed Samick and Young Chang as junk and lauded Yamaha as "superb, virtually perfect, rather spectacular."

Larry Fine on Samick: "Samick entered the US market in the late 1970s ... These first pianos reacted very poorly to the climatic extremes of North America ... with wooden parts warping, cracking and binding. Many of them had to be sent back to Korea. Throughout most of the 1980s Samick pianos were very erratic in quality. Many were plagued with problems, requiring hours of repair and adjustment by the dealer. ... Although most technicians who were interviewed at that time condemned these pianos, some who were given latitude in servicing them and who were very experienced with them said they could be made into satisfactory instruments."

So unless you pay big bucks to rebuild the Samick junk its worthless.

Larry Fine on Young Chang: "The first Young Chang pianos to enter this country (US) in 1978, fell apart, as did all other Asian pianos before them, due to inadequate seasoning of the wood for our climatic extremes. Many of these pianos were sent back to Korea. Throughout the 1980s, Young Changs continually improved and by mid-decade, some technicians considered them to be satisfactory for casual or less serious use. However, the quality control was still quite inconsistent and some pianos had problems required a great deal of repair and adjustment by the dealer. ... improvement continues, but perhaps at a slower rate. ..."

And it goes on like that for several paragraphs, I am too lazy to type it all. In other words, Larry Fine says as of 1994 Young Changs and Samick are JUNK JUNK JUNK.

Larry Fine on Yamaha: "Yamaha has always had a reputation for superb quality control and virtually perfect preparation of the pianos in the factory. This is still essentially so, but with just a little less finesse than before, particularly in the American-make instruments. ... Technicians are enthusiastic about servicing Yamaha verticals, especially the uprights, which are considered rather spectacular pianos. ... "

If Young Chang and Samick finally learned to make proper pianos they did so in less than the last 15 years when Yamaha has been making the finest pianos for more that 100 years.
WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH!

First of all, with due respect to Larry Fine, who has made much more of his income from his book than in the piano business, using him as the ultimate authority to a dealer like Glenn or anyone else is laughable.

If you take each issue, year by year and compare the opinions, they change, as do the way that each manufacturer makes their pianos.

I can tell you that if you went for consumer help in a book written in 1950, the Studebaker was a great deal! A little later in that decade, the car that everyone should buy was the Edsel. Remember the Ford Pinto? Great deal, great gas mileage and rated top in it's class. Later they started blowing up on the freeway in flames. Just one example....

As far as the names you mentioned, who are you and what experience do you have to degrade those pianos? Are you a tech? Are you a dealer? Are you a poser? With 30+ years in the business, I, along with Glenn, who certainly does not have to explain his merchandising in his store to you, would not put my name on anything claiming that a particular complete line of pianos were boxes that make noise.

For the person that asked the question, I would say go try out all the pianos and see what feels right for your ear, your touch and your budget. Then, buy it! If you are foolish enough to take the word of a Larry Fine fan, you will be more lost than you are right now.

One more little tidbit on this subject of Mr. Fine. He acquires the thoughts of many people to come up with his references in his books. Do you really think that he, himself, examines all of these pianos and then writes this? How foolish of you.

Respectfully and with apologies to Glenn T. for being thrown in the mud after decades of a highly respected career in this business. Sorry Glenn, there is one in every crowd.

WILLIAM C. HAUGHT, President/CEO, TMU, Inc. a National Marketing Company servicing the piano, furniture and floor covering industry. Retired President of Broadway Piano Company of Manhattan. 30 + years experience in retail sales and management.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, Mr. Treibitz, you actually did complement Larry Fine saying "His books serve a valuable purpose" while at the same time completely contradiction some of his strongest points in effect calling him an idiot. One of Larry Fine's strongest points is that the Samick and Young Chang pianos of the 1980s are of highly mediocre quality, in effect junk. You completely contradict this saying they are great.

It is a true salesman's skill to make completely contradictory statement sound like perfect sense. I stand in awe of your skill.

You did call Larry Fine incompetent, however.
I hate to do this in open forum, but you have your PM's disabled.

Let's tone it down a couple of notches. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but let's not force them on everyone. Let's be courteous too.

Ken

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
I must agree that there are very wacky posters here.
The adage ‘empty vessels make most noise’ certainly comes to mind reading BeeThrees (?) rambling comments.
Is it not possible that he/she is an imposter on this forum masquerading under the cover of a scriptwriter for an argument clinic. Who can forget his/her classic masterpiece as follows:-
Anyone For An Argument

Currently working on:-
C Major scale (r/h only - starting with the pinkie finger)......

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Yours sincerely,
The Unicorns

(Sent from my Sinclair ZX81)..........

------------------------------

P
P
i bought a sc jung digital and my friend played it, she is steinway artist, and it sounded great for $1500 better than expensive roland

ron anderson
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
edit

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
LOL, I just thought I missed a highly discussed thread but in fact it was the old thread that I have participated before.
Interesting to re-read the little flame war caused by ThreeBees. laugh

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission