2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Cominut, Animisha, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1179762 04/13/09 06:35 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I'm going to Pensacola Christian College for music, piano. I've kind of talked to my piano teacher about it but I haven't really. Here's the pieces I can play. I need suggestions for what to do for auditions.

Bach Invention in F Major
Chopin Prelude in B Minor
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata 1st and 2nd Mvts.

Finishing up:
Mozart Turkish March. I don't think this will be done in time. I've got most of it done. I'm really struggling with the 2nd page all of that movement. I really want to finish it for college auditions but I don't think it'll be done.

My piano teacher wants me to learn Debussy's Reverie before I go to college. If I can pull this off I want to consider playing it for the audition.

Last edited by danthemusicman91; 04/13/09 07:01 PM.

I want a grand piano, if you would like to donate email me, joking, kind of.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
danthemusicman :

If Pensacola Christian College holds auditions, then they probably have some criteria around which to build your audition program. Have you consulted the College or the College's entrance requirements to determine what those criteria are? There would be little point in saying that you have to play a Bach Prelude and Fugue, a Beethoven Sonata, a large Romantic work and a concert Etude by Chopin or Liszt if those aren't part of the audition requirements.

Find out what's required, then perhaps people can make suggestions.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
OP Offline
D
Piano Proficiencies – The student will play one work from the Baroque, Classic, Romantic, Impressionistic, or Modern style periods and one hymn arrangement. (Memory is preferred but not required.)

To me it seems like very simple audition requirements.

Last edited by danthemusicman91; 04/13/09 07:01 PM.

V
V
Originally Posted by danthemusicman91
My piano teacher wants me to learn Debussy's Reverie before I go to college.

Haha! That was the last piece I learned with my piano teacher--before I left for college! laugh
I think Debussy's Reverie would be a fine piece to audition with given that you play it as beautifully as you can of course.
I'm assuming that it's ONE piece from either of the periods and not one piece from EACH of the periods? As for hymns, I have no clue ><

Originally Posted by BruceD
There would be little point in saying that you have to play a Bach Prelude and Fugue, a Beethoven Sonata, a large Romantic work

shocked That's the audition requirement for my university! I'm going to have to get started on those pieces since I want to change my major asap... Hmm...

veem #1179883 04/13/09 10:48 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I have no problem with hymns. Hymns to me are a piece of cake. When I started with my new piano teacher she started me on more classical stuff. That's the hardest.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by danthemusicman91
I have no problem with hymns. Hymns to me are a piece of cake. When I started with my new piano teacher she started me on more classical stuff. That's the hardest.

Yes, but you did notice that it says "one hymn arrangement", didn't you? What, exactly, constitutes an arrangement; an arrangement of your own or someone else's? That should be made clear.

I'm also a little confused by what they mean when they say "one work" from each of the eras mentioned. Is a complete Sonata by Mozart "one work"? is a movement from a Sonata "one work"? Is an individual piece such as the Fantasy in D minor or the Romance in A-flat major by Mozart sufficient? What if you played one short Prelude by Chopin; would that suffice as a Romantic work. I'm guessing that since this does not seem to be a performance major that a shorter, single-movement work might suffice, but the stipulations do seem to be pretty vague and are open to very wide interpretations.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
OP Offline
D
Hymn arrangement won't be hard. They haven't actually said but I have arranged my own hymn before and I have one memorized.
The classical stuff is one work from one of the eras listed. I'm not sure what they consider a work but my piano teacher has suggested I play Moonlight Sonata 1st and 2nd movement or the Bach Invention.
I can imagine that shorter pieces would be ok since they have to have lots of students audition. And if every student is doing 2 pieces each that's a lot of time.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission