Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1180457 - 04/14/09 07:56 PM Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano?
GrandmaSue Offline

Loc: NY
Hi folks,
I have a 56 yr old Janssen console piano, which I have owned for 48 yrs. I just had a technician look at it and said the following: I need new pins, I need the felt sanded, I need the sound board repaired and glued, I need regulation and a few other things to the tune of $2000. I asked if he thought the piano was worth spending that kind of money on it and he asked how sentimental I felt about it. It is my original piano from when I was 8 yrs old, however I am wondering if I would be better off purchasing a new piano. I was wondering if I could pick any brains on this forum. I know it is hard to give an opinion on an unseen instrument. Thank you for listening

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1180460 - 04/14/09 08:06 PM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: GrandmaSue]
guest1013 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: GrandmaSue
Hi folks,
I It is my original piano from when I was 8 yrs old, however I am wondering if I would be better off purchasing a new piano.

How long does the technician think the repairs would last before more work will be needed on your Janssen?
You will be well served to go and play some new or newer used pianos, that will give you frame of reference. You'll see for yourself whether you like something newer that much better.

#1180461 - 04/14/09 08:10 PM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: guest1013]
GrandmaSue Offline

the technician did not say and I did not ask that question. it is certainly a question to keep in mind. thank you

#1180547 - 04/14/09 11:08 PM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: GrandmaSue]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
I would consider all options including possibly replacing the piano. I don't think I would recommend putting that much money into your particular piano but then, that is entirely up to you... 56 years old and it needs a lot of work...
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1180554 - 04/14/09 11:15 PM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
Ron Alexander Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I'd be interested in what is going on with the soundboard. Is is cracked in a place that is causing a rib or ribs to vibrate? You would hear a buzzing sound if this is the case. As far as new tuning pins go, I would recommend a CA treatment of the pinblock, rather than changing the tuning pins. Sanding the hammers and voicing is probably in order for a piano of this vintage. This will also require some action regulation.

But I too would be hesitant in putting that much money into this piano. But it does have sentimental value, so it is up to you.

#1180590 - 04/15/09 12:42 AM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: Ron Alexander]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
I always recommend people get a second opinion. How much do you know about the technician? Make sure this is someone you can trust to do good work. If he is, it may be well worth the expense.

Does the cost include moving the piano to a shop?
www.pianova.net

#1180967 - 04/15/09 02:42 PM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: rysowers]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Play some new or newer pianos on the market. I would not "invest" in your old piano at this point.

#1181014 - 04/15/09 03:57 PM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: Marty Flinn]
Bob Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Is he replacing strings and pins, or just pins? If this was my piano, I'd dope the pins, file the hammers, reg the action, and enjoy it - for much less than $2000.

#1181038 - 04/15/09 04:34 PM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: Bob]
GrandmaSue Offline

Thank you all for your advice. They are $2000 includes transporting the piano. The pins are being replaced. The piano no longer holders it's tune. Regarding the sound board, there is a buzzing sound. The piano is tuned yearly, however it just never sounds right and it almost sounds as there is an echo?

I am having another technician come tomorrow. You have all given me a lot to think about and I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again!

#1181091 - 04/15/09 06:25 PM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: GrandmaSue]
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richfield Springs, New York
Most Janssen consoles and spinets I've worked on never sound right, before or after the tuning. As far as my experience with them, most have strange buzzes that have more to do with the piano's design, rather than a cracked soundboard. Also, I find many of them have pinblocks that are separating. Occasionally, I'll find one that's half-way decent.
Richfield Springs, New York

#1181342 - 04/16/09 07:38 AM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: Eric Gloo]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Please do keep us updated....good luck
PTG Associate

#1190814 - 04/30/09 07:05 PM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: Les Koltvedt]
GrandmaSue Offline

Hi everyone,
Well I had the second technician come and he advised against putting any money into my Janssen. I was convinced that it would have been crazy to spend the money, so I took the plunge and bought a new Kawai K3, which I am in love with. The sound is magnificent and I am enjoying every moment. Thank you all for the great advice.

Be well. Sue

#1190851 - 04/30/09 08:23 PM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: GrandmaSue]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Good for you Sue. NOW, make sure that you tune this piano at LEAST once a year! But, for the first 2 years, tune it twice to help it settle in.....
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1191033 - 05/01/09 02:56 AM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
GrandmaSue Offline

Thanks Jerry

I will take very good care of this beautiful instrument. I am so thrilled. Thanks for the advice

#1191138 - 05/01/09 10:05 AM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: GrandmaSue]
guest1013 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Congratulations on your new piano!

#1191324 - 05/01/09 03:18 PM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: guest1013]
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canton, MI
Congrats....
PTG Associate

#1191413 - 05/01/09 06:14 PM Re: Should I do this work to a 56 yr old piano? [Re: Les Koltvedt]
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London
I am very pleased for you. Enjoy it!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piece ID
by IstvánE
Yesterday at 10:14 PM
Pre purchase inspection
by mellie62
Yesterday at 10:00 PM
Do Parents want to hear the truth anymore?
by chasingrainbows
Yesterday at 09:28 PM
DEBUSSY- 'The terrace for moonlit audiences'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
Baldwin PS2500 ram battery
by mooh320ps
Yesterday at 07:47 PM
Who's Online
48 registered (bennevis, Altair, alfredo capurso, beet31425, 7 invisible), 883 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76281 Members
42 Forums
157681 Topics
2316085 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission