Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1180722 - 04/15/09 08:23 AM Interesting rebuilding solution
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Hello All,

I recently worked with a school that wanted to rebuild a Steinway grand in their auditorium. We recommended a complete rebuild including belly, action, finish, etc. - we are installing a Renner action and NYC hammers (my personal favorite choice).

Here is the interesting part - during the process they got a quote from an S&S dealer that recommended replacing the entire key frame because otherwise the piano could not accomodate the "new accelerated action" design that they must install.

I should state that the piano in no way, shape, or form needed a new key frame. The only reason quoted was so it could accomodate that little curved piece of felt that replaced the little flat piece of felt at the center rail bushing. Interestingly, a new key set was NOT quoted. I would think that reweighing the keys would also be necessary if one were to do this work.

The music director quickly saw this as what it was - a way to make the restoration as close as possible to the price of a new piano. I believe they really just wanted to sell him a new piano, which he did not want in the first place.

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this wrinkle from a Steinway dealer? Also, has anyone here ever replaced the keyframe and keysticks simply to accomodate the "accelerated action"?

Edited by Rich Galassini (04/15/09 08:25 AM)
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1180738 - 04/15/09 08:47 AM Re: Interesting rebuilding solution [Re: Rich Galassini]
UnrightTooner Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bradford County, PA
Had a Steinway dealer's salesman mention that a Victorian D that they rebuilt could not have an accelerated action (nor a diaphragmatic soundboard) retrofitted because it was not originally designed for it. Steinway would not supply the parts. But somehow it was OK that they had a local foundry vacuum cast a new plate, with an added strut, as an improvement over the original broken plate. I wiped my feet very well when I left the place. There was a barnyard odor on my shoes…

#1180857 - 04/15/09 11:43 AM Re: Interesting rebuilding solution [Re: UnrightTooner]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I worked on an old Steinway recently where someone had notched the bottom of the keys so that they would work like the accelerated action. I was dubious of the value of this. If they had done other, more important work, I would not have been working on the action.

#1180960 - 04/15/09 02:31 PM Re: Interesting rebuilding solution [Re: BDB]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I worked for a Steinway dealer year ago that did in the neighborhood of 50+ rebuilds a year out of one location. We never attempted to "accellerate" an older action. We did update older damper levers with sockets and screws. We did reset angled capstans for modern whippens, but never messed with balance rail bushings and key-weighting.

#1180994 - 04/15/09 03:27 PM Re: Interesting rebuilding solution [Re: Marty Flinn]
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington
I often wonder if the dealers recommending retrofitting the "accelerated action" feature really understand just what it is they are talking about.

The roller balance block has a relatively insignificant affect—if there is any at all—on the feel or motion of the key. And if they are not planning to relocate the keyleads toward the balance pin they have rather missed the point.

I have never retro-fitted this feature into an earlier piano. What would be the point? I have, however, removed the roller balance block and installed regular felt balance rail punchings to provide the space to glue a 5 mm maple strip to the bottom of those old Pratt-Read keys and stiffen them up some. These keys have so much flex in them that action power—especially in the bass and low tenor—is seriously compromised.

ddf
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

#1181087 - 04/15/09 06:19 PM Re: Interesting rebuilding solution [Re: Del]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
From my many conversations with my bellyman /builder David Rubenstein,I would think that Steinway's advantage in supplying a new keyset with the new key(accelerated action)frame is because they already have them somewhat assembled with both the front and balance rail pins already drilled and set for the keyset by Kluge. Now salvaging the keyset and building a new keyframe doesn't make any sense to me in that they would have to perfectly align the precut keyset(original keys) to the NEW keyframe which is impossible in that the keyset pin holes are originally drilled at the same time as in the keyframe.
To keep the existing keys means that you would have to notch them to fit them on the accelerated key frame. Steinway is not gonna jump thru all these hoops. They are gonna do whatever route is easiest and more practical. These are the issues between making a new piano vrs. restoring an existing piano. Now new and different problems arise in that with the new keyframe and keyset there may be problems with the strikeline or the cavity dimensions. I'm sure Steinway will wing it. It almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about. grin

Edited by pianobroker (04/15/09 07:06 PM)
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1181101 - 04/15/09 07:00 PM Re: Interesting rebuilding solution [Re: pianobroker]
RoyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
My understanding is that the "accelerated action" idea originally had to do with the key leading scheme. They used more leads closer to the balance rail. Steinway has since abandoned that practice, and just calls the half-round rollers the "accelerated action". We have had this discussion before... What accelerates?

I think that the effect is to move the pivot point back slightly, similar to clipping off the front half of a balance rail punching. This would increase leverage at the front of the key and decrease the key ratio. It would make the key press down easier for a given hammer weight. Doing this would actually "de-accelerate" the speed of the back of the key slightly, wouldn't it? The effect of a lower key ratio would be that the back half of the key wouldn't travel as quickly.

I agree that it is a small difference either way. Del's suggestion of reinforcing the key makes more sense to me.

#1181113 - 04/15/09 07:32 PM Re: Interesting rebuilding solution [Re: RoyP]
Rod Verhnjak Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Like others here that made comments.

I'd rather have a stiff key than an accelerated action.
We are rebuilding a "D" right now and the keys were quite flexible. The new key frame is fitter like the rest of the pianos made in the world, including Hamburg Steinway. I'm using a regular quality balance rail punching.
The original key frame was accelerated.

New key vs old key

The new set

Exclusive Dealer For Charles R. Walter Pianos
www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
141 registered (accordeur, Al LaPorte, ando, ajames, 44 invisible), 1916 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75560 Members
42 Forums
156227 Topics
2294422 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questioning the Wisdom of Heavy Actions
by Dwscamel
Today at 12:52 PM
What do you think made you passionate about music/piano?
by Spuds
Today at 11:45 AM
Tune lab question
by RonTuner
Today at 11:32 AM
What IS this song? (And yes, I mean "song"!)
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 09:35 AM
Kawai Cp200 repair needed
by Walks
Today at 08:52 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission