2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 6 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by eweiss
That's funny!

The truth usually is! grin

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
You're So Narrow-minded!

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sergio88
You're So Narrow-minded!

If I were narrow-minded, I'd only be playing written music as written. tired

Years ago, I decided that sacrificing my creativity and music for that type of slavish devotion to the long dead and buried wasn't for me. Alot of jazz musicians more than capable of playing the majority of the clasical repertoire obviously have come to the same conclusion over the past 100 years or more. thumb

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BJones
You're So Narrow-minded!

Oh well, I probably misunderstood your comment.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BJones
You're So Narrow-minded!

Oh well, I probably misunderstood your comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T3FXFnoTzE

Baby, do you understand me now
Sometimes I feel a little mad
But don't you know that no one alive
Can always be an angel
When things go wrong I seem to be bad
But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood
Baby, sometimes I'm so carefree
With a joy that's hard to hide
And sometimes it seems that all I have do is worry
Then you're bound to see my other side
If I seem edgy I want you to know
That I never mean to take it out on you
Life has it's problems and I get my share
And that's one thing I never meant to do
Because I love you
Oh, Oh baby don't you know I'm human
Have thoughts like any other one
Sometimes I find myself long regretting
Some foolish thing some little simple thing I've done
Yes, I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Yes, I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

grin

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Eric Burden and the Animals?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Eric Burden and the Animals?

Bingo! Later, Eric Burdon and War!

Interesting that he used the word "edgy" in the lyrics! That might be the earliest use of the term I've ever heard of.

Last edited by BJones; 04/16/09 12:47 AM.
S
S
Ah.. I love that song. I can hear it now in my head.

Pick 3 notes in the left hand, any notes you can reach at the same time. DO NOT CHANGE THEM!!!!
Pick 3 notes in the right hand. DO NOT CHANGE THEM!!!!

Play all of them together. Mix them up. Do anything to them.
Go crazy..... It'll always sound good.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Surendipity
Ah.. I love that song. I can hear it now in my head.

Pick 3 notes in the left hand, any notes you can reach at the same time. DO NOT CHANGE THEM!!!!
Pick 3 notes in the right hand. DO NOT CHANGE THEM!!!!

Play all of them together. Mix them up. Do anything to them.
Go crazy..... It'll always sound good.

A simple exercise demonstrating that as long as the voice leading of those random 6 notes put into play is creatively and carefully controlled in a viably musical way, that is, with sound musical gravitation, suspension moving toward resolution, there is no right and wrong!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Three chords are nice too.

3/4

||: Ami | Emi | Dmi | Emi :||

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
eweiss

i was curious about your motivation for making this post.. was information like this requested by someone in the forum? Its very unusual to see a post like this. It will be like me posting exercises i assign to jazz students.

I agree that freeplay exercise can be helpful. My question is, is this method progressive? are you going to explore how you can create a theme and do variations.. and develop it rhythmically and harmonically?? Because after students get used to this initial steps of free playing it would help for them to get used to various "musical thinking" to expand their means of expression,

btw think its rude of you to label classical musicians "simply glorified typists who only can recreate what has been written by dead composers of the past." There is so much that goes into their craft and a lot of expression too , I don't pretend to understand it all but at least I have respect for what they do. And I hope you can treat people with the same kind of respect and courtesy that they are extending to you too.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by etcetra
classical musicians are "simply glorified typists who only can recreate what has been written by dead composers of the past."

I couldn't have said that better! Most classical pianists can't tie their shoes when it comes to a theoretical understanding of what they're typing. For most, remove the music from the stand and it's like a treadmill without a hamster in it! You may get a few scales and arpeggions from them, possibly in double octaves, maybe some parts of classical pieces they've typed, but that's about it for the most part.

Eweiss has a firm understanding of the typical, garden-variety classical typist, ..er' "pianist". thumb

Last edited by BJones; 04/16/09 05:23 PM.
eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
eweiss

i was curious about your motivation for making this post.. was information like this requested by someone in the forum? Its very unusual to see a post like this. It will be like me posting exercises i assign to jazz students.

I agree that freeplay exercise can be helpful. My question is, is this method progressive? are you going to explore how you can create a theme and do variations.. and develop it rhythmically and harmonically?? Because after students get used to this initial steps of free playing it would help for them to get used to various "musical thinking" to expand their means of expression,

btw think its rude of you to label classical musicians "simply glorified typists who only can recreate what has been written by dead composers of the past." There is so much that goes into their craft and a lot of expression too , I don't pretend to understand it all but at least I have respect for what they do. And I hope you can treat people with the same kind of respect and courtesy that they are extending to you too.

Hi etcetera,

No one requested this post. I like to share what I know so I offered it here. I see nothing wrong with that. I'm giving something of value (hopefully) and did post in the appropriate forum.

As far as the method being "progressive," the most progressive thing most beginning adult students can do at the piano is to improvise and be in the moment while doing it. This skill is invaluable for it teaches one to trust intuition - a skill I consider to be most important.

Once students can trust themselves and the music that comes out of them, the rest is all downhill!

As far as my "glorified typist" remark, I apologize. I understand the time and commitment that goes into becoming a classical pianist. My response was really directed to Betty P. who freely criticized my video.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
eweiss

Hi etcetera,

No one requested this post. I like to share what I know so I offered it here. I see nothing wrong with that. I'm giving something of value (hopefully) and did post in the appropriate forum.

As far as the method being "progressive," the most progressive thing most beginning adult students can do at the piano is to improvise and be in the moment while doing it. This skill is invaluable for it teaches one to trust intuition - a skill I consider to be most important.

Once students can trust themselves and the music that comes out of them, the rest is all downhill!

As far as my "glorified typist" remark, I apologize. I understand the time and commitment that goes into becoming a classical pianist. My response was really directed to Betty P. who freely criticized my video.

It brought down the house over in the classical section. (Interdimensional forum section warp):

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...nteresting%20post%20in%20non-classi.html

These people are off the hook, Dawg!

Last edited by BJones; 04/16/09 08:09 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
eweiss

Hi etcetera,

Look at his signature line. His sharing is just a slightly veiled advertisement. Only $19 and he accepts Paypal.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Wow. You figured me out.

B
B
The hostility towards Eweiss is beyond me. People, get a life. Play piano --- be happy!

Last edited by btcomm; 04/17/09 10:25 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DameMyra
Look at his signature line. His sharing is just a slightly veiled advertisement. Only $19 and he accepts Paypal.

Oh no!!! He makes a living in the music field! shocked

That's terrible. frown

How dare he?? mad

Originally Posted by Betty Patnude

I must say, Ed, I found the scenery lovely to look at, but the music seemed harsh for such natural beauty.

If you've ever been to Yosemite, you'll realize that it has a very rugged beauty to it, and in my opinion, Ed's piece captures that feel nicely.

I agree that freeplay exercise can be helpful. My question is, is this method progressive? are you going to explore how you can create a theme and do variations.. and develop it rhythmically and harmonically??

Here's a video Ed created on theme and variations, which he used in response to an imrpov question I had.

Originally Posted by DameMyra

I'd rather hear constructive comments about his video lessons instead of hearing about his signature line.

Last edited by tekkie; 04/17/09 04:15 PM.
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Ed Weiss said: "My response was really directed to Betty P. who freely criticized my video."

I commented Ed, that's constructive criticism, by the way.

When I think of the pieces that music education composers have put to print about majestic things in the United States where we both live, I am amazed at how well the composers have filled their pieces with imaginatively and well-designed sound for certain levels of piano study. What a gift them have!

I think I'll take time to tool around a little to find some of these gems in writing music to share with people who are interested in both our countries natural beauty.

To start with the story of "American the Beautiful", being written in poetry while crossing our country by train is one of the most inspiring creations I have even heard or sung or played. Let's start there with inspiration. I would love to give an appreciation class on this patriotic tribute sometime.

There is music about Lewis and Clark, the Grand Canyon, you name it...it's been written. Let's feast our ears on eyes on this bounty - in Nature and in Music.

I will be working to prepare some really good examples of similar music to Ed's so we can have a rounded out picture of what has come before us, and what we have legacy to now.

Any criticism that is being felt by Ed, or by others in his behalf, was to acknowledge that other composers have been doing a magnificent and memorable job of it for a very long time. I believe that the music and the grandeur of the scene should match. Ed's video captured my attention in the sense of the photos, not the music. That is what making a comment is about. In my opinion, two chords do NOT make a rich, full sound.

As for rugged music, there is that too, and it can be sought as a study area in music. "Magnificent Seven" for instance?

Betty Patnude

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission