Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

Trying Something New with Search
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
115 registered (ando, AndrewJCW, accordeur, anamnesis, AjLongsPiano, 34 invisible), 1343 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Topic Options
#118313 - 11/11/07 08:14 PM Boston GP-178 Purchase
LeeDavis Offline

I just bought a 5-10 Boston GP-178 today. I paid $21,990 brand new. It'll be delivered in 7-10 days. I know it's a tad late (maybe, maybe not), but was wondering the following ...

- The instrument I played and liked was sold already and mine will be delivered shortly. Should I be concerned that I paid $20k + for an instrument I didn't play, or will the tuners/technicians sufficiently protect me against this piano sounding/feeling alot different than the one I played?

- Is this at least a decent price or am I paying way too much?

- Is there anything to the Boston marketing gimmick of "if you trade up to a Steinway within the next 15 years, the full purchase price of your Boston will go towards the Steinway" ???

Thanks!

Hailun / Pearl River Pianos

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#118314 - 11/11/07 08:41 PM Re: Boston GP-178 Purchase
swampwiz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I cannot accurately comment on how good of a deal you got, but at first glance it seems pretty good.

All pianos are individual, but presumably Steinway will put in the effort to regulate and voice the piano to your likeness.

Steinway charges a hetfy price for the Boston, considering that it is somewhat similar in refinement and build quality to the Kawai RX. I consider the Boston to have a muddled bass, although a very good tenor range.

As for the trade-up gimmick, it's legit, but with some reservations. Steinway would love nothing more than to replace a high priced Boston with an every higher priced Steinway. The value of a piano tends to never go down from its original price (inflation will always at least match real depreciation), and when you would trade up, you would pay MSRP. But it's all an option - when you would be ready to upgrade, you could try to sell it yourself and negotiate a better deal, or even go to different brand.

#118315 - 11/13/07 08:25 AM Re: Boston GP-178 Purchase
fishline Offline

Loc: NJ
The impression I got from a Steinway dealer and a Steinway showroom was that they don't really negotiate much, if at all. (I believe this is also mentioned in Fine's book that discount from "list price" tend not to be nearly as much for Steinway products.) If the goal is to eventually get a Steinway, then the trade-up is a good thing. I thought I was told the trade-up from Boston is lifetime (where as for Essex it's 10 years).

$21K was lower than what we were offered when we were shopping a couple of months ago.

#118316 - 11/13/07 09:45 AM Re: Boston GP-178 Purchase
MarKey Offline

ALways play the piano before you buy. Every piano is different no matter how much the same!

#118317 - 11/20/07 11:17 PM Re: Boston GP-178 Purchase
hotkeys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massapequa, NY
The price of $20k is about what you expect from a Boston piano. Make sure you play as many pianos as you can to ensure you have a good deal. It will be difficult to break the contract once the papers are signed.

- Mark

#118318 - 11/21/07 10:02 PM Re: Boston GP-178 Purchase
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Leedavies:

Your price was IMHO quite decent and appeared to me somewhat lower than what I thought this piano having been sold before?

Wether or not you will like the piano you purchased as much as the one you played in the showroom, is for you to answer - later.

Unless you buy from a dealer who is meticulous and very detailed in new piano preparation,I would be somewhat cautious on the issue.

The question of the value of a "full trade up" to Steinway has been discussed here many times before.

Perhaps do a search on this topic and read the many posts with regards to this subject.

Congratulations and - hoping you will enjoy your piano!

Norbert \:\)

#118319 - 11/21/07 10:42 PM Re: Boston GP-178 Purchase
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Norbert,

Are you sure the price has come down? The price offered is within 10% of Fine's 2007-2008 guide. Steinway also notes considerable sales growth on this line.

LeeDavis- for this amount of money I would strongly advise you consider having them deliver it to the store and only buy it if you are as pleased as you were with the one you played. Also Boston is built for Steinway by Kawai so you might want to compare.

#118320 - 11/21/07 10:45 PM Re: Boston GP-178 Purchase
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
If it is any consolation, even the piano you liked in the store would sound different in your home. However, I would be concerned about dealer prep: If a piano is pre-sold, there is perhaps less incentive (and time) to do a thorough prep at the dealer's. Conversely, a piano on the showroom floor has to sell on the basis of its merits, so perhaps a dealer may do a bit more work on it, especially as there is more opportunity to tweak it in stages while it is on the floor.
Make sure you get a decent after-sales service appointment.
Good luck with your new piano.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#118321 - 11/22/07 12:43 AM Re: Boston GP-178 Purchase
Norbert Offline

Quote:
Are you sure the price has come down? The price offered is within 10% of Fine's 2007-2008 guide. Steinway also notes considerable sales growth on this line.
Father: from my own sources it appears that Fine's prices, as is the case involving several other makers, may not necessarily concur with the manufacturer's own MSRP.

If I recall right, I have heard some of our own customers in the past quote quite a bit higher prices for this particular piano.

Perhaps this also has to do with the recent rise of the Canadian dollar? ;\)

Perhaps someone can advice as to the the official U.S. MSRP for this piano?

Norbert

#118322 - 11/22/07 01:51 AM Re: Boston GP-178 Purchase
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Norbert:

Quote:
Father: from my own sources it appears that Fine's prices, as is the case involving several other makers[/b], may not concur with the manufacturer's own MSLP.
Steinway pricing is unique, not comparable to any other maker[/b]. What one knows from other makers[/b]' pricing should not be projected onto Steinway -- even when discussing their Boston- and Essex-branded pianos.

#118323 - 11/22/07 02:01 AM Re: Boston GP-178 Purchase
Norbert Offline

Ax:

Just to make sure, only the lower part was my quote, the above was but father's from his post above.

P.S. I did not intend or suggest to make any *projection* from anybody else's price list onto Boston's or Steinway's, simply stating that not all manufacturers appear to agree with Mr.Fine's own chosen formula in his book.

I may be wrong, but still believe that official MSRP for Bostons are actually somewhat higher than Mr.Fine's.

Of course, *which ones* to go by is - as always - up to consumers to decide....

In this case as stated, I thought the deal *was* fair.

Norbert

#118324 - 11/22/07 10:21 AM Re: Boston GP-178 Purchase
Dave Stahl Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Lee,

Happy Thanksgiving! You definitely didn't get a turkey (that would be a Gabler....).

I second Jurgen's concerns. There are times when dealers will have one piano thoroughly tweaked on the floor, and then they don't want to sell that piano because of all the time and money invested in it to make it that good. In that state, it becomes a valuable selling tool.

The price you paid is fair enough, but it should also include the set-up it would have gotten in the store as well as whatever home service is offered by the dealer.

Some techs will do their best to make sure your piano plays at its best, but techs are people, and as such one cannot make blanket statements about their standards, ethics, or technical abilities.

Steinway does a great job of marketing their mystique; they wouldn't affiliate the Steinway name with a bad piano. They chose Kawai to manufacture these for a reason: the Japanese factory has high production standards and makes excellent products.

This would be comparable to the RX2 in size, but the Boston has an all wood action as required by its parent company.

Congratulations on your new piano! It will give you years of good service.

Quote:
Originally posted by Supply:
If it is any consolation, even the piano you liked in the store would sound different in your home. However, I would be concerned about dealer prep: If a piano is pre-sold, there is perhaps less incentive (and time) to do a thorough prep at the dealer's. Conversely, a piano on the showroom floor has to sell on the basis of its merits, so perhaps a dealer may do a bit more work on it, especially as there is more opportunity to tweak it in stages while it is on the floor.
Make sure you get a decent after-sales service appointment.
Good luck with your new piano. [/b]

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
Composer Statuettes
(ad) Teaching Music To Children
Teaching Music to Children
(ad) Yamaha Stage Pianos
Yamaha CP4 & CP40 Stage Pianos
(ads) PD - WNG - MH
Wessell Nickel & Gross
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nomenclature
by DavidWB
43 minutes 13 seconds ago
I had a dream last night......
by Stubbie
Today at 06:42 PM
I need metronome reccomendation for a peculiar need
by raubucho
Today at 06:07 PM
New Roland Pianos Announced
by pmh
Today at 04:56 PM
Poor sounding output with Ravenscroft 275 software.
by Osiris
Today at 03:11 PM
What's Hot!!
New Forum for Selling Your Products or Services
--------------------
Historic Piano Documents
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Forum Stats
80,242 Registered Members
44 Forums
165,965 Topics
2,432,676 Posts

Most users ever online: 15,252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2015 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission