2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
RogerW Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I've decided to take the next step and replace my old kawai with a better piano that I can use any time I like to without upsetting my neighbours. I have my eyes set on the YUS5 silent. The YUS5 is of course a superb piano (at least compared to my current Kawai HA-20) and as far as I know it's the only Yamaha Silent model, apart from the SU7, that comes equipped with a sostenuto pedal. There seems to be no YUS5 silent models in stock in my country at the moment, but I got to try a SU7 silent in one store, which I was told uses the exact same silent system, and was very pleased. Of course it's nothing like playing a quality grand, but it sure is a lot better than playing a dp or not playing at all. I have also played the regular U5 piano at several occasions and like that one very much, I believe the acoustic playing of the YUS5 at least shouldn't be worse than that.

Now I wonder, is there any alternative pianos in the same price range with similar features? Especially, I really like the fact that it has a sostenuto pedal. My brother has a Kawai K5-anytime, I like the silent playing of that as well, but I haven't seen anytime models of the bigger Kawais. Does Kawai even make anytime pianos of their high end uprights? Are there any other manufacturers I should look in to?

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Roger,

I do not know where you are located so what I am about to say may not apply due to availability.

Many pianos can operate beauifully in a silent mode by using one of a few prove silent systems. My personal favorite is

QuietTime (basic system)

There are also systems that offer hundreds of sounds, digital recording on-board, etc., but this one is an easy to operate interphase that I enjoy.

The advantage of this system? Choose the piano you love and do not limit yourself to just a few models of piano. You enjoy a Steinway K, A Knabe 131, or a Mason 50? All of these have sostenuto pedals and they can all have this silent feature installed reasonably.

Just curious, but what country do you live in?

Good luck and keep us posted,

Last edited by Rich Galassini; 04/18/09 06:54 AM.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
G
G
Yamaha have quite an extensive range of silent pianos. See the link below for the range.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/mu...silentpianos/?checked_object=&page=2

And as Rich points out, silent systems can be installed to many regular pianos.

Kawai also make a range of "Anytime" pianos. See the link below for their brochure.

http://www.kawai.de/service/atx_catalog.pdf

R
RogerW Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Rich, I'm located in Finland. I have been calling most major piano dealers around the country in the past days and none so far has had a silent YUS5 in stock. But I have received some offers from dealers willing to get one for me, still looking for the best offer.

I know about the pianodisc system, but somehow it seems a bit risky to me. I'd rather buy a piano with the silent system pre-installed than add foreign objects into some other piano, especially not into an expensive quality upright. With a Yamaha silent, I at least have some guarantee that the silent system doesn't do any harm to the acoustic piano. Probably my concerns are a bit exaggerated...

Thank you Gerry for the Kawai link. Seems that they don't make anytime models of their high end uprights.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RogerW
I'd rather buy a piano with the silent system pre-installed than add foreign objects into some other piano, especially not into an expensive quality upright. With a Yamaha silent, I at least have some guarantee that the silent system doesn't do any harm to the acoustic piano. Probably my concerns are a bit exaggerated...

Not necessarily exaggerated. The reason you won't find this particular piano in stock is that the vast majority of buyers of a premium vertical will feel that introducing a silent system into its mechanics will amount to introducing foreign objects whether factory-installed or aftermarket. For this reason a silent YUS5 would not be a star on the new retail market or the resale market either should you buy one.

The key is your desire for a sostenuto pedal. If you really need it, then you really need it. If it's not essential, the a U1-S SG makes a lot of sense. Have you played one?

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The premium for buying a 'Silent' system piano is usually more than buying the non silent version and then buying a good digital for those times when you need to play in private.

The silent system on uprights does compromise the touch a little, as the hammer has to set off around twice as far from the string as in a conventional piano. The result is less responsive trilling and playing pp.

I'd rather have a YUS5 and a digital than a YUS5 silent.

Chris Venables
Venables Pianos
Yamaha Pianos, Petrof Pianos and Venables & Son
UK Grand Piano Centre.
R
RogerW Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by turandot
Not necessarily exaggerated. The reason you won't find this particular piano in stock is that the vast majority of buyers of a premium vertical will feel that introducing a silent system into its mechanics will amount to introducing foreign objects whether factory-installed or aftermarket. For this reason a silent YUS5 would not be a star on the new retail market or the resale market either should you buy one.

Actually, a couple of months ago I found a dealer in another city who had one coming in. When it arrived to the store I received an sms telling me that I can come and have a look. Two days later the dealer called that he had a customer ready to take it away, in case I don't buy it first. At that time I didn't yet have the funding secured, so I had to let it go. Anyway, the piano lasted in the store for exactly two days... The next week when I got there the piano was already delivered and I had to settle with trying out the YUS3 and SU7 silent models.
Originally Posted by turandot
The key is your desire for a sostenuto pedal. If you really need it, then you really need it. If it's not essential, the a U1-S SG makes a lot of sense. Have you played one?

Yes, I have tried several U1-S SGs. The difference is probably not that big in silent mode, but as an acoustic instrument the U1 is very far from the YUS5. Instead of buying a U1, I would rather install a pianodisc system into my current Kawai. But I am also looking for an instrument with great tone and touch for acoustic playing. The sostenuto pedal is a big bonus. I have always wanted to explore the sonoric possibilities of that pedal in my own composition output, but I haven't had the chance as I haven't had one available.

R
RogerW Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by ChrisVenables
The silent system on uprights does compromise the touch a little, as the hammer has to set off around twice as far from the string as in a conventional piano. The result is less responsive trilling and playing pp.

I'd rather have a YUS5 and a digital than a YUS5 silent.

Chris, sorry the delay, as we posted simultaneously I didn't notice your reply until now. To explain my situation, I received a grant for buying a high quality upright silent piano. The money can only be used for this purpose, therefore buying two different instruments really isn't an option. Also, the grant was large enough to cover the cost of a YUS5 silent, so I don't see any reason to look at cheaper silents like the U1 or a Kawai K5. This is why I asked for alternatives in the same price range, though it now seems there aren't any.

I am aware that the silent mechanism slightly compromises the touch, but I haven't found this to be a big problem. The touch is still lightyears ahead of any digital piano I have tried. On the YUS3 silent I played a few weeks ago, the acoustic touch was still better than on my current Kawai. I imagine I will use the piano about 50/50 in silent and acoustic mode, therefore the benefits of a good silent touch by far outweighs the small problems caused by the silent system to the acoustic touch.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK Roger, in that case I would definitely order a YUS5silent.

If you liked the YUS3, then you will like the YUS5 - but more so. The internal components on the YUS3 are identical to the YUS5 ie frame, soundboard, hammers strings etc. The YUS5's advantages are ivorite naturals and wood composite sharps, (as per the SU7 you tried) and a much more functional music desk rather than a music tray.

Chris Venables
Venables Pianos
Yamaha Pianos, Petrof Pianos and Venables & Son
UK Grand Piano Centre.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission