2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'd say 5-6 hrs to replace, 7-9 hrs to regulate... clean the wires while your there, will make the reg go smoother, no chance of a wire hanging up on old marks...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
R
ranger Offline OP
OP Offline
R
You would think they would sell FLAT treble damper felt pre-cut or in strips wider than 3/8". Looks like one has to buy strips and cut the WIDTH as well as length of each FLAT felt. I find that precut 3/8" wide FLATS are not wide enough for some pianos.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Yep. The pre-cuts are mostly good for modern instruments post 1945.This is why the felt guillotine is a good tool to have. The felt strips they sell are like hammer sets. They virtually come as blanks; then you shape them according to the original hammer you have.

Regarding the felt guillotine, I immediately take out the blade supplied with this device and replace it with one of those long Olfa exacto knife blades, the ones that you snap off the end when they get dull. The edge is better and the blade is longer……watch the fingers….Unfortunately you cannot get the hollow ground blades any longer. NIOSH formally asked this company to cease production of those….

It takes a little while to get used to cutting a straight line with this device because the felt tends to crush down when pressed. A certain technique to keep the cut line straight…..

You might ask the supplier that you use if they would make a special run for your job there and cut them a bit wider. But suppliers like to do volume for cutting up stuff like this……not sure they would be happy just doing a few sets.

R
ranger Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for that info, Dan, I see on the web where they sell a Tokiwa Grand Damper Felt Set already pre-cut. Do you know anything about it?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

My apologies ranger I am not familiar with that item. Perhaps someone else will be able to offer an opinion on that one.
Or better still ask the supplier for the dimensions via email or something......

R
ranger Offline OP
OP Offline
R
No problem, Dan. I started experimenting cutting my own. Also I noticed that if I have some imperfections (areas that protrude), using a battery-operated clothes shaver nicely shaves away those imperfections...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Good stuff ranger a little creativity and ingenuity and you will discover all sorts of processes that you can use to make the job look good and professional. It is the attention to detail that makes a good job….. I never thought of the electric shaver………good one there.

For cutting a straight line I usually crush the felt down right beside the cutting edge with a small flat bladed knife. This way the felt is under the same amount of pressure so the cut remains straight. Also another tip if you turn the felt around end to end each time you cut……maybe somebody else has some other ideas?

R
ranger Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Not sure a regular electric shaver would work, but a clothes shaver, used for removing lint and fuzz from clothing works nicely...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Dan, are you saying to press down on both sides, then cut? kinda like doing insulation.

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Yes and yes. That is what I meant……………… the clothes shaver……… I’ll have to get one….…… and yes to the pressing down of the felt on both sides like doing the insulation. If the pressure on both sides is equal to the pressure of the blade then the cut will end up straight.
This is only in reference to the thick flat (treble) damper felt that comes in strips with or without backing and uncut. The bass wedge felt is easy to cut laid on its side…..
Need a picture of the small hand guillotine setup? Let me know………..

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Need a picture of the small hand guillotine setup? Let me know………..
Sounds gruesome!

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
and I've got small hands...oh boy...I assume it's like those sold at Schaff?

Les Koltvedt
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
R
ranger Offline OP
OP Offline
R
On Grands, since the dampers are not spring-loaded, I understand there's some ringing when installing new dampers. I hear the ringing only in the strings where I used trichord dampers (double-wedge). How long does it take for the felt to give in? I guess it depends on the type of felt?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission