2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
This young musician is competing in spite of the fact that she has no piano at home. She has a wonderful story.

Ang Li performs live on "The 10 Show"

I did not notice until the actual performance that there was a hanging damper (watch the video - and color me embarrassed). I was surprised because it was a C, a note needed in the piece she performed. When I brought it up to her, she simply said,"It happens. I worked with it." thumb

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Rich thanks so much for the post. I missed the segment when it was on TV. I'm hoping to get up for the May 2 recital.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
C
C
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
there was a hanging damper

DAMN THOSE DAMPERS!

I wonder if a professional ever had a real hung damper during a performance and got up mid performance to get the technician.

What is the etiquette in this stiff anal business when a hung damper appears in a program?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"Some think it's a player piano, no one could possibly be playing that beautifully!"

Oh dear...

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Great story! Wonderful, too, to see what Cunningham Piano Co has done to help this talented artist along.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Which Rach piece was it? The announcer just called it an etude. I don't think I've heard it before and I'd like to play it.

Best regards,

Deborah
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It's the Etude-Tableaux in G minor, Op.33, No. 7 (or 8 depending on the edition). Beautiful, isn't it?

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It's gorgeous. I'm going to buy the music right now. Thank you DameMyra!

Best regards,

Deborah

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Rich -

I asked this question earlier - but I think my post got lost in cyberspace.

What was the "make" of the piano she was playing?? It certainly is a nice instrument !!

Carey

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Online Content

Whoops !! Rich - It appears you answered my question on another thread. THANKS !!!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ridicolosamente
"Some think it's a player piano, no one could possibly be playing that beautifully!"

Oh dear...

There was just alot about the things that were being said that made me cringe...

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jdhampton924

Oh dear...

There was just alot about the things that were being said that made me cringe...

A news segment celebrating someone going to the VC competition - something rarely covered on mainstream news. I think that is great. Why do you look for things to "cringe" over?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Phlebas

Oh dear...

A news segment celebrating someone going to the VC competition - something rarely covered on mainstream news. I think that is great. Why do you look for things to "cringe" over?

That is kind of assuming alot.. All I said was when I watched it there was a lot being said I was cringing over. Does not mean I was looking to...or wanting to.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ok, then sorry about the snarky response. What were you cringing over?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Phlebas
Ok, then sorry about the snarky response. What were you cringing over?

Oh it was not really her, she is just kind of average so they were making a huge fuss over a lot of things. Her marketing people were working in overtime. The comments about one year old....Thought that was funny.. I have never ran into a one year old who could do more then hit their hand down on the piano... Does not mean much....I have seen some amazing three year olds though. Just a lot of the exageration......I am just never a fan of. There are a lot of things that surround these competitions that I just don't like.

Though on the good side does look like she has a recording contract of some sort.....So does not look like she is doing to bad for herself. Which is good.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
she is just kind of average so they were making a huge fuss over a lot of things. Her marketing people were working in overtime.
That's interesting. I liked the music so much, I decided to give it a try. I was beginning to question my own interpretation because I really make the melody sing out. Her's seemed much flatter and I was beginning to question myself. Now I feel better!

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gooddog
she is just kind of average so they were making a huge fuss over a lot of things. Her marketing people were working in overtime.
That's interesting. I liked the music so much, I decided to give it a try. I was beginning to question my own interpretation because I really make the melody sing out. Her's seemed much flatter and I was beginning to question myself. Now I feel better!

Check out Alexander Kobrin playing it. He was the 2005 gold medal winner of the van cliburn. He opened up either the second or third round with that piece. Should still be able to stream it from the Cliburn website.

Should be able to get to it from here. http://www.cliburn.org/index.php?page=broadcasts

Last edited by jdhampton924; 04/28/09 04:13 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Check out Alexander Kobrin playing it. He was the 2005 gold medal winner of the van cliburn. He opened up either the second or third round with that piece. Should still be able to stream it from the Cliburn website.

Should be able to get to it from here. http://www.cliburn.org/index.php?page=broadcasts

While I did like Ang Li's performance, Kobrin's is just extraordinary. (If you go to the Cliburn site above, this particular etude is about an hour and 40 minutes in.) Thanks for the reminder, JD, I forgot how remarkable his performance was in that competition.

It's funny, I followed it on line and I remember people talking about how aloof and almost cold Kobrin was in his playing. Wow, not when you watch this performance.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DameMyra

While I did like Ang Li's performance, Kobrin's is just extraordinary. (If you go to the Cliburn site above, this particular etude is about an hour and 40 minutes in.) Thanks for the reminder, JD, I forgot how remarkable his performance was in that competition.

It's funny, I followed it on line and I remember people talking about how aloof and almost cold Kobrin was in his playing. Wow, not when you watch this performance.

Thanks for remembering in he played it. I had forgotten. I knew it was towards the beginning of one of the rounds. I loved how his first concerto was a mozart concerto in the competition. Which was kind of a breath of fresh air for me. The Rach 2 or 3 is sometimes so overused for these competitions I tire of hearing it.

What I loved about his playing of the etude was how tender and gentle he was with it. He was not trying to use it to show off technical prowness. He let it just flow. The melody was always always clear, even during the faster section.

Last edited by jdhampton924; 04/28/09 05:38 PM.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission