2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
from Piano*Dad
"To the extent the guarantee is an insurance policy, there is a premium to be paid for that insurance. That premium is spread over all purchasers of that brand of piano. The insurance cannot be free. As PB has noted, there are certain rules of retail."

Dad,

When you say the insurance cannot be free, you are saying that the buyback of a piano against the sale of a more expensive one is basically a negative cost for the dealer. I don't think that's necessarily the case.

It would be the case in something like a manufacturer's rebate program where every consumer who perseveres through the paperwork and files his claim on time is a negative. It would be the case at Joe's All-You-Can-Eat Buffet when the old yellow school bus carrying the local h.s. football team pulls into the parking lot.

In the trade-in or trade-up scheme, there is the guaranteed promise of greater $$$ to be garnered from any buyer who chooses to participate and enough wiggle room to manipulate the transaction to the point that the trader-inner will generally be clueless as to what the real value of his trade-in was.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Oh, I actually agree with that. A buyer is often at an informational disadvantage.

I'm trying to build the best case for the trade-up policy assuming everyone is fully informed. In that 'insurance premium' case there are clear analogies with other insurance markets.

But my first presumption is that in most cases the program is of no material value because of the flexibility of discounts off of MSRP.

If the buyer is of the generally clueless variety the trade-up idea can be manipulated by the dealer to increase profits from that individual. The individual who thinks their trade-up is valuable may feel locked in to negotiating with that particular dealer or else they'll 'lose' the trade-up. This adds cards to the dealer's hand. So, if the consumer misunderstands the true 'value' of this rather complex 'guarantee' they can indeed wind up paying too much.

Originally Posted by Nick Mauel
Pianoloverus,

I think that yours is a special case with the Mason & Hamlin.

True, you may have gotten a discount, but off of what? Oh yes, the Fine list price.

This guide is very useful because it explains what kind of discount one might expect for the brand they are buying.

I sold new Masons from 2000-2005 and know the pricing well.

It is of particular interest to note, that Larry Fine states clearly that discounts on Masons will run 25% OR MORE, but not even Larry Fine can tell you where the discounts will stop!!

For other brands he can give the range of discount, but he leaves this open for Masons!

In other words, since Masons sell for nowhere near the Fine list price, there was plenty of room for the dealer to do your deal and not have to charge you list price for your new BB.

Thanks,

Nick

I don't think you followed my post. I am aware the dealer I use never charges Larry Fine MSRP for Masons(and neither do any other dealers)so of course there would be"room not to charge list price". Everyone at this dealer gets virtually the same price whether they are buying the piano for the first time or trading up. There are some dealers who price their pianos at what they think are a fair/appropriate price and do not negotiate.

So it seems that the discussion in my case has nothing to do with Fine saying the discount on Masons should be 25% or MORE.

That is why I didn't have to be concerned about getting less off MSRP than people buying a piano for the first time. Under these conditions, I think the trade up can be valuable for the buyer.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/22/09 11:08 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
How is a prospective buyer aware that a dealer treats each and every soon to be client the same as for ex. alleged nonnegociation in their prices. In this day and age most retail dealers are hustling and do whatever it takes to make the deal happen. It's called survival mode.I've noticed the dealers have become very creative in their pitch to the prospective customer. Ex. Discounting the player system below cost but padding the price of the piano or vice versa .Pretty slick! grin
This analysis thusfar is very interesting and informational,if I must say.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
How is a prospective buyer aware that a dealer treats each and every soon to be client the same as for ex. alleged nonnegociation in their prices.

PB,

I must say, that thought had occurred to me as well. How can one know the strike prices that other buyers have achieved without examining the receipts of the firm?

In any case, I'm perfectly willing to accept that in individual cases a person may have gotten what seems like a very useful trade-up. Perhaps the dealer was hard up that month and needed cash flow, so they accepted something that they might not have accepted the month before or the month after. This is why anecdotes rarely work as counter-evidence to a broader conjecture about incentives. Unfortunately, real statistical evidence is hard to come by in this industry.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianobroker
How is a prospective buyer aware that a dealer treats each and every soon to be client the same as for ex. alleged nonnegociation in their prices. In this day and age most retail dealers are hustling and do whatever it takes to make the deal happen. It's called survival mode.I've noticed the dealers have become very creative in their pitch to the prospective customer. Ex. Discounting the player system below cost but padding the price of the piano or vice versa .Pretty slick! grin
This analysis thusfar is very interesting and informational,if I must say.

A lot of salesmanship is slick.

I for one do not believe that there is any way that a store can buy back a piano that is now 2 years old and not loose something somewhere. Having seen 'the business' up close and personal while teaching at a piano store many years ago, I saw that yes, one could trade in and get back their money, but the discount off the higher price instrument could not be the same as if one walked into the store without any 'baggage'!

However it comes down to trusting the owner of the company/store.

And private emails with current purchasers for the same piano also adds to the trust of what the owner does. The prudent buyer does his homework, yes?

However...a few thing could possible be added to the piano purchase menu...bench, lamp or damp chaser. Prep and tunings are often determined by the mfg. You sell my pianos, these are the things that MUST be done before the piano goes out, or as part of the after service. A few things can be an icing on the cake though.

One might wonder... is the same extended prep going to go into this purchase that has the baggage attached? Well, yes...if that business is to stay in business and keep their reputation.

All those that I dealt with were lovers of pianos, pianists and the whole shabang. I am sure they wanted to see their customers happy and content.

That was 2 years ago.

I hope things have not changed for them. And I wish all of them well.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
How is a prospective buyer aware that a dealer treats each and every soon to be client the same as for ex. alleged nonnegociation in their prices.

PB,

I must say, that thought had occurred to me as well. How can one know the strike prices that other buyers have achieved without examining the receipts of the firm?

In any case, I'm perfectly willing to accept that in individual cases a person may have gotten what seems like a very useful trade-up. Perhaps the dealer was hard up that month and needed cash flow, so they accepted something that they might not have accepted the month before or the month after. This is why anecdotes rarely work as counter-evidence to a broader conjecture about incentives. Unfortunately, real statistical evidence is hard to come by in this industry.

Some dealers have been operating in terms of pricing a certain way for many years if not decades, and people who shop there generally know or find out from others what the situation is. Is it possible that a few % of their customers got a price that was 1-4% less than the others? Yes, but the % of people(if any) and % discount in this case is so miniscule it is completely irrelevant.

My post does not refer to the situation for the last 1-2 years which was before my trade up. Today's economy is a once in a lifetime recession, and it's possible that the dealer from whom I purchased my trade up piano is operating differently. My trade up price had nothing to do with the dealer being hard up during the month when I traded up. Their policy regarding piano pricing and trade ups had been in effect for many, many years.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/22/09 04:44 PM.
Originally Posted by lilylady
One might wonder... is the same extended prep going to go into this purchase that has the baggage attached?

In my case the answer is yes because I bought a piano that had already been prepped for the dealer's showroom. It wasn't as though they had some way of knowing which piano on their floor I would select(or even if I would trade up) ahead of time! Virtually none of this dealer's customers buy a piano before it's prepped.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by lilylady
One might wonder... is the same extended prep going to go into this purchase that has the baggage attached?

In my case the answer is yes because I bought a piano that had already been prepped for the dealer's showroom. It wasn't as though they had some way of knowing which piano on their floor I would select(or even if I would trade up) ahead of time! Virtually none of this dealer's customers buy a piano before it's prepped.

And WHICH dealer might this be PL?

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Lilylady wrote,"Prep and tunings are often determined by the mfg. You sell my pianos, these are the things that MUST be done before the piano goes out, or as part of the after service."

I do not know of a single manufacturer who "determines" or mandates in any way what or how much prep work is done. All mfgrs. strongly suggest that their dealer network prepare their instruments, but there is no teeth in this.

The only dealers who religiously do complete piano preparation are those who believe, from a marketing basis, that it helps them sell more pianos more profitably.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
"And WHICH dealer might this be PL?"

It's a good question. No doubt there are more retailers who tout a one-price-for-all policy than there are dealers who actually operate that way. I mean, what is the alternative really?....to let the customer know how much money he has needlessly left on the table?

Let's not forget also that a Mason traded on a Mason is a bit different from a Henry F. Miller traded on a .............?? A Mason will be recognized by any retailer to be an outstanding piano. The only place where a Henry F. Miller will get rave reviews is a dealership belonging to the consortium that contracted for it in the first place. I'm not knocking the piano in any way, but there are several factors that will imit its open market resale value.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
The dealer that sells the Henry F Miller will get more for a used one than other stores. The mason would be a solid 5 figure selling price and would be worth it on a resale (by the dealer). The Henry would easily be a 4 figure selling price and would be worth it, on the flip flop. The longer the cliente has the piano the easier it is to recoup the trade in value, as the new prices push up (artificially) the prices of the used. (Anyone look at the price of gray market Yamaha 30 yrs old)

If the product is sold by a high gross profit chain that does not discount, than customers tend to agree to, pay high for the first piano so they have the right to pay high on the next one and get their trade back in.

Our prices are 25-30% off of MSRP. Our trade ins were sold on this formula, so it's a fair trade.

John Mila de la Roca, Manager
Keyboard Concepts, Tustin CA
714-544-0088
Yamaha-Schimmel-Bosendorfer
Piano Tuner/Tech 30 years
john.miladelaroca@keyboardconcepts.com
keyboardconcepts.com

Yamaha C3-KorgN364-Kurzweil K2500-Yamaha P200-Roland Ax1 & Les Paul Custom gold Top 57 re-issue and 6 nameless guitars.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission