Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1185952 - 04/23/09 04:10 PM Re-Introduction
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Loc: Kailua-Kona, HI
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to say an official "hello" again! I've been away from this terrific forum for about a year and a half. frown Life can certainly surprise you!

In fall of 2007, my husband and I made the difficult decision to move back to the Boston area from western Washington state. This, of course, meant closing my piano studio and saying goodbye to my students, which was very emotional for me. If you’ve read any of my posts here, you know I love teaching! Not only that, but some of my students and I became such good friends. It was also very hard to close my studio, which was just starting to gain momentum (I branched off on my own in early 2006 after teaching with a local piano store for a few years).

After making it across the country, moving into an apartment, and getting my husband’s corporation set up, I found a FT administrative job. Not that I didn’t want to start teaching again right away; but we lived in a smallish apartment in Cambridge, MA, and it just wasn’t conducive to teaching. I made the decision to go back to work until we found and settled into a house; we thought that would be a 2-3 year process, but we ended up moving into our house 6 months after landing in the apartment. That’s entirely too much moving!! smile

That was spring 2008 – in December, I found out I’ll be having our first baby in August of this year (so soon!). This is our miracle baby, completely unexpected after 15 years of marriage and no success. With that came the decision that I wouldn’t be returning to full-time work. I talked to my husband about starting to teach again and he, rather brilliantly, came up with the plan to transform our little historic garden house (built in the early 1900’s) into a piano studio. It’s just a little one-room house with a roof; just enough space to teach. I couldn’t be happier to be returning to teaching and having piano be the focus of my days again.

My website has remained up during this time – but has been sadly neglected until recently. Some of you may know I was (and will be again!) really active on the Alfred’s Adult threads and had started a series of tutorials on those books. I’m actively working on them again, and you’ll see me popping in regularly now to hopefully lend a helping hand and encourage!

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I look forward to reconnecting with those of you who I’ve talked to before and meeting all the new pianists here.

Hope you are all having a great week, and happy practicing!

Best,

Kim

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1185963 - 04/23/09 04:27 PM Re: Re-Introduction [Re: PianoTeacherKim]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome back, PianoTeacherKim! Thank you so much for the update, too. Of course, the best part about it was the news of your baby. What a wonderful miracle, indeed, for the two of you. smile Get as much sleep as you can now, because you certainly won't be getting enough come August. wink

Your garden house/piano studio sounds heavenly. If you get the chance, post a photo or two for us.

You are heading into an exciting and busy, exhausting, intense and rewarding time of life. Enjoy every second of it, and take lots and lots of photos and videos--because before you know it, the whippersnapper will be packing for college.

#1185965 - 04/23/09 04:30 PM Re: Re-Introduction [Re: Monica K.]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I wondered what happened to you! I had checked your website a couple of times and you hadn't added anything there.

Well, congratulations on your upcoming motherhood. That's so fantastic! I'll be looking for you in the Alfred threads. I'm still on Book 1, but closing in on the end of it.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1185970 - 04/23/09 04:33 PM Re: Re-Introduction [Re: mom3gram]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I remember you, too. Welcome back, and thanks for the update. Your studio space sounds like a dream, so enjoy it and keep us updated.

Cathy

#1186020 - 04/23/09 05:47 PM Re: Re-Introduction [Re: PianoTeacherKim]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Welcome back! I remember seeing your name on some of the older threads. Sounds as if your studio will have a very charming appeal. I wish you happiness on your new "adventures". smile

Schimmel K213 NWS

#1186033 - 04/23/09 06:23 PM Re: Re-Introduction [Re: Strings & Wood]
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Monica - thanks very, very much. Yes, having watched all of our friends experience parenthood, we are totally expecting the crazy lack of sleep! smile But we're excited. I'm definitely going to document the transformation of the soon-to-be studio, it's like a dream (and to think we didn't even think that direction when we bought the house)!

mom3gram - thank you! After requests from some of my visitors, I'll be working on the Level 2 Alfred's book while I continue working on Level 1. The only problem is half of my piano music is still in boxes - including books 2 & 3 of Alfred's... I'm going to go digging in the basement this weekend.

Cathy - thanks!! I was so excited about the studio when my husband first brought it up I could hardly stand it.

Carl Mc - what a cute profile picture! smile And thanks for the good wishes.

This really is an exceptional forum and I'm so happy to be here again!!

Kim

#1186041 - 04/23/09 06:47 PM Re: Re-Introduction [Re: PianoTeacherKim]
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Puyallup, Washington
Kim,

I'm happy to see you back here too, with such good news in so many ways, the baby being at the foremost!

I was sorry to see you leave Washington State it sound like you are thriving in Massachusetts! Sometimes a door opens and things change greatly beyond our wildest expectations.

Let us know all about your blessed event and your new teaching studio - sounds divine!

Betty

#1186081 - 04/23/09 08:27 PM Re: Re-Introduction [Re: Betty Patnude]
Terrytunes Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tewksbury MA
PTK... welcome back to Boston!

I was doing a search and sort of stumbled onto your upbeat post. Couldn't stop reading all your good news once I got started.
After reading your message I thought I would make sure you are aware of a piano gathering taking place in Lowell next weekend. There is a post stickied over on the PF, in case you might be interested.

Would be lovely to meet you!

Edited by Terrytunes (04/23/09 08:29 PM)

#1186095 - 04/23/09 08:55 PM Re: Re-Introduction [Re: PianoTeacherKim]
GregF Offline

Loc: South Carolina
PTK,

Welcome back and a big congratulations. No lie, yesterday, I was thinking about the Simply Music method for my son and wondered, "What ever happened to PianoTeacherKim?". Now I know! Best of luck in MA.

GregF

#1186127 - 04/23/09 10:05 PM Re: Re-Introduction [Re: GregF]
NancyM333 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Roswell, Georgia
Welcome back, PianoTeacherKim!

I can't believe it's been that long since you were active on the forum. When I read your name below the thread title, I immediately remembered what a terrific and upbeat contributor you were to the forum. It's great to have you back.

I love the idea of your garden house, though I hope it's well insulated. I wouldn't last two days in Boston!

Congratulations on the baby. As someone who had our first child (actually second and third as well) when we had been married 13 years, I understand the precious gift you've been given. It is a miracle. I know I have truly savored being a parent a little later in life, and you will too.

Nancy

Estonia 168, Yamaha UX3

#1186351 - 04/24/09 09:15 AM Re: Re-Introduction [Re: NancyM333]
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Betty - thank you! I remember when you joined the boards and I was so impressed ~ and WOW are you a prolific poster! smile I know so many people have learned so much from you. You really are a voice of expertise and encouragement.

Terrytunes - thanks for the welcome! I'll definitely check out the Lowell get-together. I live in a crazy schedule right now (FT job + worship leader at my church + other commitments) so we'll see if it's happening in a free window of time!

GregF & Nancy - thanks so very much! The fact that you remembered me at all is just an amazing thing and so warmed my heart this morning!! I really DO just want to be an encouragement and help here.

Nancy - It's not insulated - yet. laugh That's part of what will happen over the summer. I wouldn't last 2 days in a Georgia summer! I like the change of seasons but this was a LONG winter and I'm glad spring is here. Thanks for the encouragement, too, about the baby, and congratulations on your wonderful family!

Hope you all have a wonderful Friday. It's going to be 70 and sunny in Boston... gorgeous!

Best,

Kim

#1186507 - 04/24/09 01:33 PM Re: Re-Introduction [Re: PianoTeacherKim]
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Central Texas
Kim,

Welcome back! I used to live in Lexington so I'm somewhat familiar with the weather there. As I recall, cold white stuff falls out of the sky and sticks to the ground. Very messy. Here in Southern California we have two seasons -- rainy and dry. We didn't have much "rainy" this year.

Take it easy with the baby growing business and congratulations on the blessed surprise.

Ed

YouTube Channel

#1186748 - 04/24/09 08:21 PM Re: Re-Introduction [Re: epf]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Congratulations for everything!!!

#1186991 - 04/25/09 08:14 AM Re: Re-Introduction [Re: malkin]
PianoTeacherKim Offline

Hi Ed - well, yes, you're right, we do get that white stuff. And we did have an exceptionally white winter this year (brrr). I think I could live without winter, if only I could transplant all my dear friends to a new place with me!!

Malkin - Thank you!!!

I have to say again this is such a great forum. There's really very few forums on the web that are this helpful and friendly and welcoming!!

Kim

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
89 registered (Aucha, Atrys, 3rd Ear, 25 invisible), 1141 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153568 Topics
2250683 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
Today at 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
Yesterday at 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission