2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 54 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 53 54
C
C
Howdy peeps! My name's Allen, and I clearly just joined here this week :P I'm 20, and can't recall ever sitting in front of a piano for more than 30 seconds in my life.

My musical background is limited. I used to play an instrument (clarinet) back in grade school (it was mandatory) for about 3 years, and stopped when high school started. I used to be quite competent at reading sheet music, and wasn't bad at my instrument (for the amount of time I put in). I miss being able to read music. I miss being able to play music. I want to try my damndest to get back to it and to stick with it.

These days I know basic things, like what notes are where on the clefs, and some basic notation, but that's about it. In terms of relating to a piano, I'm a complete beginner, and will be starting from scratch. Soon I will have my Casio PX-320 though, and will get kicking with learning. I look forward to finding out if I am able to pick it up well :P

Ive been reading lots of threads here for the last week, and will continue to read many more, and post more I'm sure. This place is such a wealth of information. It's places like this that can easily make the difference between losing the drive to keep going, or getting that extra boost of motivation to push on and stay on track.

So hello again from a complete beginner!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome and congrats on picking a nice digital piano. I have that one as well. I also played clarinet from 6th grade through high school.

Check out the adult beginners subforum. Many of us are working through the Alfred's books (among others) to learn to play.

Enjoy!

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
J
J
Hello all,

I've lurked for around a year now and I decided to come out of the shadows. I'm 15, from Sydney, Australia, and I've been playing piano since I was seven. I guess my interest began while sitting there waiting for my brother to finish his piano lesson.

I completed my AmusA last year and recently began my LmusA. Picking pieces is a terribly slow progress, but so far I've settled for a Bach Prelude and Fugue, and a Beethoven Sonata.

I love piano because it just gives me somewhere to go that doesn't consist of school and stress. Without it, I wouldn't know what to do with myself!

I'm sure I'll continue to learn heaps more from this forum, hopefully by posting as well as lurking. I'm looking forward to it!

M
M
Hi!

I'm Maxine - I'm 14 years old, and I started playing the piano about 2 years ago. I have very little experience with piano, but I played the clarinet for about five years before quitting. Because my teacher is the sort to take things verryy slowly and I felt began feeling bored, I started jumping ahead to more complicated pieces.

First, I learned a few songs by Yann Tiersen from the Amelie soundtrack, and then decided I would take on one of my favorite pieces of all time - Chopin's Raindrop Prelude. I can play the first of three Gymnopedies by Erik Satie. But without a lot of guidance, I can really get in over my head.

When I found this forum, I was really excited - I didn't think there was such a thing! I'm really enjoying reading about what everyone's studying, issues they're running into, etc. And hopefully, I can learn new things from all of you.

Currently working on:
- Clementi: Sonatina Op. 36 No. 6
- Chopin: 24 Preludes Op. 28 No. 15, Raindrop
K
K
hi,

this is sahil from india....

I am a robotics engineer by profession and i could only sqeeze together enough cash for a PSR 550 this January I have been playing and practising for 3 months now and this is where i am right now

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_annotate?v=_fv2uLHT_g8

Hope you guys can gimme some feedback

Began Learning: 1st Jan 2009
C
C
Hi people, I'm new here! I'm 13, and have just started preparing for my Grade 6, I have been playing piano for just over 5 years! I am also a pretty good composer, I have Sibelius 5. I have a Yamaha Baby Grand and a Yamaha DGX-520 to link up to the computer.

I look forward to participating here!

P
P
Hello all!

My name is Richard, and I'm a young-at-heart old man (age 66) who studied piano for several years as a child. I'm now retired and for several months have been renewing my acquaintance with the keyboard and the classical piano repertoire. It's so great to have the freedom to spend several hours practicing each day. I was lucky as a child to have a good grounding in the basics, so my keyboard skills have fairly quickly returned to an "intermediate" level. I'm hoping that regular visits to the PW Forums will keep me motivated and focused in lieu of not currently having a piano teacher.

Currently I'm studying:
Beethoven: "Adagio cantabile." from Op. 13
Bach: Inventions Nos. 1, 13, 14
Schumann: Arabesque (Op. 18)

My instrument is a Baldwin Grand (Model L).

Baldwin Model L
Technics PCM Digital Piano PX106
E
E
I almost never use these things, lol. Anyway, I'm Enray and I've been "playing" the piano since I was eight. I didn't really start playing though until four or five years ago. Mostly I play sort of emotional stuff and video game music (anyone who rolls there eyes at this must not have heard the FFX piano collection!). I also play guitar, though not as well since I've only been playing for a year and half (improving fast though), mostly metal though. It's weird, one minute I'll be playing some ballad on the piano and when I finish I run upstairs to practice a Lamb of God song. But anyway, that's about it!

S
S
Hi everyone, I'm jumping right in. I just found this forum today and I am so excited to see the support that is available for pianists.

I have played piano for my whole life but only took lessons till I was 12 or 13. I made it through Level 5 of the Alfred's method. I feel like I sight read well but I'm sure that my technique is horrible. I have been unsure of how to get going again. I have smaller children so I don't find a lot of time to practice and when I do practice I'm unsure whether what I'm doing is benefiting me.

I have been warming up with Hanon exercises which it seems like some people love and some people hate. I have also been working on a Sonatina by M. Clementi, Op.36 No.3. I feel like it just isn't enough though. I would like to take private lessons and/or work on a music degree but currently I am with my husband in Germany so my options are quite limited. Recommendations are welcome.

I also just began teaching my children, 4 & 6. I got the Alfred's Prep Method since I am familiar with it. I have read in some places that it isn't necessarily the best one to start with since it teaches in positions or something like that so I am looking for advice in that area too.

Glad to know that I have places like this to ask for help.

J
J
I am new to the forum. I like to play classical music, but I also improvise Jazz and other types of music when the mood strikes. I worked as a Jazz/Rock keyboardist in the 70's, and taught but retired from professional work when I moved to California. I spend some time now teaching my 12 year old son to play (Grade 6/7), After Grade 7, I hope to find him a better teacher.

When I was young I was not "serious" about the piano, but as a teenager I would spend hours learning Mozart Sonatas (and trying to learn Chopin Etudes). Right now I'm trying to become serious about regular practice and developing my own repertoire again.

I play the Bach WTC for sight-reading. The hardest pieces I have played besides Chopin Etudes are Beethoven's Waldstein Sonata and Carnival of the Animals (with orchestra!) by Saint-Saens.

Lately I'm becoming quite the Musicologist and spending a lot of time reviewing scores on http://imslp.org/

Currently working on
Couperin Les Bergeries
Clementi Sonata #1 in C Major
Haydn 1778 Sonata in D Major #33
Mozart Sonata in F Major K. 280
Mendelsohn Op. 104
Chopin Inpromptu I
As much Beethoven as I can fit in

Couperin Les Bergeries
Clementi Sonata #1 in C Major
S
S
Hi everyone. Im new here. smile

I've been exposed to classical music since I was a kid but never got the chance to take up piano lessons.. or learn a musical instrument. I kinda hated the guitar; and was discouraged for the lack of a teacher. I kinda learn faster with someone when it comes to learning music.

All that changed last year when my Father's boss donated an old digital keyboard. Wanting to learn how to at least play it, my parents decided to pay for piano lessons for me and my younger brother(who is lazy but really talented. He is now playing Chopin's Nocturne in Eb minor Op 9 #2 . Im kinda envious lol! But he really hates the lessons and the theories. He just wants to play. laugh )

A year later and here I am. After taking some lessons, I am now working on some method books, finishing Hanon (halfway there, but damn, I reaaaaly hate this thing!) and reading up on musical theory. I am trying to learn the classical music that I grew up with... and learning some new stuff.

Oh and btw, the old keyboard is now replaced with a gorgeous, rarely used Upright piano. We were lucky that our neighbors are moving and they got to sell their 3 month old piano..at 1/3 the price! laugh

An idle mind is the Devil's playground.
S
S
Originally Posted by carolyn227
I've been lurking quite a bit on this forum, posted a bit on a couple other boards here but not much of a contributor.

I am a busy stay-at-home-mom of two kids (2 and 4) and have recently begun playing piano after a long hiatus. I got tired of not being able to play anything anymore. I've been practicing an average of an hour a day in the month of November. I would like to practice more, but... well... two little kids.

I began piano lessons in the first grade, moved to another country after that and started with a new teacher in second grade and stayed with her until I moved back to Germany in the sixth grade. We had trouble finding consistent teachers there, but somehow I got through it... sort of. I passed off Alfred's level 3 in 8th grade and we moved back to the States where I began lessons again. This is where I really began to learn. The teacher tested me and had me skip level 4 and went right into level 5. I continued to advance in piano and participated in competitions, doing quite well once or twice. Eventually, I was awarded a teeny-tiny piano scholarship to a state university (I think it was a combination of pity and trying to build their music program!) where I immediately slacked off and dropped out of the program. I regret my apathy and laziness so much now 10+ years later. I took lessons for a couple more years and eventually stopped playing almost entirely.

I got married and didn't have a piano for a long time. Finally, soon before the birth of my first child, we got a really old upright that was in storage from the state. It is in surprisingly good condition and is almost in tune. I'm afraid of having it tuned because I'm afraid the strings will break. My neighbor and friend tunes pianos and told me that is very common with pianos as old as mine. I didn't play it much, just once in a while, because I was so busy raising my kids and I didn't make piano a priority.

About a month ago, I found a renewed conviction and began playing again. I sit down and play a few times during the day when I have a moment. The problem is the 2 year old likes to climb on me and sit on my shoulders when I'm playing. My sessions are usually pretty short during the day. I play a lot at night after they go to bed. The little one has only woken up once while I was playing. As long as I don't get too loud, it's usually fine.

I would like to buy a new piano, but there is no way we can afford it right now. Perhaps in a year or so we can get a nice upright. I want a nice piano for my kids to learn on. My goals right now are to perfect and memorize songs I once had perfected. Also, to set a good example of practicing so my kids can see that it is important. Right now I'm working on Chopin nocturne 55.1, Clair de Lune, Bach prealudium 21, Granados' May Song (this one is almost there), Beethoven Sonata no. 8, and a few others. Once I have these songs perfected and (re)memorized, I'm not sure what I'm going to start with. I'm also going back to the books I was studying out of before I stopped lessons, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

I'll probably lurk a lot, because I am in that awkward group of non-beginner but not really advanced, either. I'm trying to improve my skills to become the type of pianist I want to be-- better sight reader, faster at learning songs, can improvise, etc.

Carolyn

you better bought a electron piano first to make sure the kids interst of it or not, most opf time the child hate parent make them to do some thing they don;t really want to do.

Hello all! smile Just found this site and it seems to be a mine of information. I'm late thirties, been playing for 25 or so years and will probably just lurk around asking the odd question or posting an answer every now and then. Trying to learn all of Beethoven's Sonatas but struggling with op 106, obviously: probably never get that one! smirk Iain

Trying to learn all of the Beethoven Sonatas but fingers are getting tied up in op 106 Finale. Think I left my right little finger somewhere in the second episode...
E
E
Hi all- I've been lurking for a few months now, reading many of your interesting posts. A quick intro:

I started taking lessons when I was 10, and continued until university, where I took up the violin for a few years. Then in grad school I came back to the piano, but only intermittently as time allowed. Fast forward to today- I'm 29, recently had my Yamaha studio moved to my apartment, and even more recently purchased a Roland FP-7 which enables me to practice after hours. I am able to commit around 1-1.5 hours a night to practicing, due to work/family commitments. While not entirely satisfied with this, it is a huge improvement over recent years.

I am admittedly something of a dreamer, and enjoy challenging myself and pushing my limits. Unfortunately this means that many pieces I take on do not reach a performance level, but this is fine with me as I am not a very good performer anyway smile Here are the pieces I am focusing on at the moment:

- Rach: Etude 39/5, for the Concert Etude Recital
- Chopin: Etudes 10/4, 25/11
- Liszt: La Campanella

I have been thinking of taking up lessons again (I work in Manhattan), if anyone has a suggestion/reference in the intermediate range. I will also try to post some videos soon, for a good laugh.

W
W
Hi everyone! I joined today. I actually got introduced to this site by the book Grand Obsession (which I adoree!).

I'm almost 17 and have been playing for 12 years. I'm playing ARCT pieces, though I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the RCM system..? I live in Canada, by the way. A few pieces from my repertoire right now are Beethoven Tempest, Chopin Winter Wind Etude, and Chopin Ballade #2.

A couple of things on my mind right now:

1. I have wrist tendonitis. I'm SOOOO frustrated. I have a competition in a month and a practical exam in less than two months. I want to practice all day long everyday, but doc says I need rest frown Any advice/suggestions? HELLPPPPPPP!

2. I've always thought I wanted to be a doctor and do music on the side, but I'm straying away from the medicine idea these days. I'm very excited (music is my passion for sure) but also kind of frightened (being a doctor has been my dream for so long, I almost feel ashamed of myself for letting go of it?). Haha, yesss, I'm kinda confused right now..

Thanks for reading this long rant!

D
D
Hello all!

23 years old, living in Los Angeles. Just got a new Yamaha ydp 223 and began playing again recently after a couple years off. Currently working on The Elegy by Rachmaninoff.

Ive been playing seriously since I was 16, with a lot of breaks over the years for school and other slacker activities that took from my piano study time. Im thinking of attending music school at Musicians Institute in LA.. its just really expensive and im not sure its suited for my classical upbringing.

Im not very mature about my practice habits, ill learn a few measures of a new piece then quickly grow bored then diddle off on some composition of my own... ( i hope we all do this, lol).. my repertoire is fairly small, completed pieces are in my signature. There are numerous other unfinished pieces, waltzes, etudes, rachmaninoffs 2nd concerto ( that'll happen..)

Anyways, i know it was a random rambling into but I hope to learn a lot here!

Dalton

Learned: Moonlight Sonata
Chopin Prelude in E minor Op 28 no 4
Chopin Prelude in C minor
P
P
Hi,

I'm Phil from the South Wales valleys in the UK.

I've just bought a Yamaha DGX-630 to learn on.

I started to learn the Organ when I was 14, the object being to earn a Synth (learn to play the Organ and I'll get you a synth) to play in a band. I got to Book 5 of Learn to play the anchor way and got a JUNO 6. Played a little with a few friends, but never gigged and then went to college.
I started to learn some Supertramp recently on an old Casio Pianotone and surprised myself playing things I never could when I was younger, so I decided to get a full weighted keyboard. I'm learning from Alfred's Adult piano course (half way through Book 2) but I'm thinking of getting some lessons. How important do you think lessons are and how often should I go?

U
U
Hey guys!
I recently found this site and was very excited when I did.
I'm almost 21 years old and I have been playing the piano since I was 3 (almost 18 years).
I am currently working on a performance and education degree from The Crane School of Music.

My current repertoire consists of:
Chopin Ballade No.1 in G Minor,
Haydn Sonata No. 49 in Eb Major,
Chopin Etude Op. 25 No. 2 in F Minor

I will shortly be adding Debussy's Estampes to my repertoire, which I will play along with the Ballade for my recital next semester.

I'm trying to find the best way to get a recording with good sound quality so I can get some videos up.

Anyways, thanks for letting me join the forums and I plan on participating much if someone can help me fix my forum problems (I can't view the forums/log in unless I use a proxy for some reason - probably an IP problem).

Thanks again!

Hello all,

My name is Mike and I've been playing for about a year now. I really love the piano and I'm hoping this forum will give me some good pointers. God knows I need them;) I'm 29 and live in CT, USA. I look forward to chatting with everyone! Thanks.

PS unnormaldude68, Chopin's Ballade no. 1 is one of my favorites! I would love to hear you play it! That song is the reason I decided to take up piano.

P
P
Hi, I'm a 21 year old Scottish student. I must admit I'm not a piano player, but I am a musician and an avid follower of classical music, and in the past year or two particularly of piano works.

I was getting frustrated with youtube's juvenile userbase, and couldn't find anywhere to talk about piano to people who knew what they were talking about. So that's why I'm here smile

Just new here smile
Page 7 of 54 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 53 54

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission