2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1185058 04/22/09 07:06 AM
W
whwh Offline OP
OP Offline
W
When i practice, i found that the rest of my fingers that i am not using are not touching the keys of the piano. Is this wrong? When i tried to keep my fingers to the keys it required some effort to lift my fingers high while i play.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi whwh,

Welcome to the forums.

While there are different ways of teaching piano playing, it is generally recommended that your hands are relaxed with fingers touching the keys and you do not lift your fingers high.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Forget about where your non-playing fingers are - the only thing you ultimately need to worry about is the correct finger hitting the right key at the proper time - all else is BS and needless worry.

Regards, JF

P.S. But if you do need something to worry about you might want to think about and remedy the lack of capitalization of the word "I" in your posts. wink

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
whwh,
It depends on to what extend your non-playing fingers are lifted up, but generally they should be relaxed when not in use. Keep in mind that fingers 4 & 5 cannot move independent of one another.

Try this to help build in proper relaxation of non-playing fingers:
-Play a simple 5-note pattern starting on C in the RH.
-After pressing finger 1, hold it down as long as it takes to relax all the other fingers.
-When you have relaxed the other fingers, then press finger 2 and hold down while relaxing the other fingers
-Proceed until you have played all the fingers ascending & descending on the 5-finger pattern.
-Repeat with the LH starting with finger 5 on C
- Keep doing this a few times each day until you can get to that relaxation faster

You can even do the above with any piece you're working on so that you don't build in tension when you play.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
If your non-playing fingers are not lying on the keys then you must be using your extensor muscles. Why would you do that?

W
whwh Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
If your non-playing fingers are not lying on the keys then you must be using your extensor muscles. Why would you do that?

In an effort to lift my fingers higher as my teacher requested, I found that my non playing fingers were lifted up from the keys.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Your teacher is teaching an old technique which could well injure you.
When initially learning piano, it is good training to ‘lift the fingers high with precision.’”

Reality: This dictum from the Hanon finger exercise books and other old-fashioned technique carry-overs causes more problems than anything else. When you train the fingers to raise higher than necessary, you are training them to travel a greater distance than necessary. The key depth is approximately 3/8ths of an inch. If you could let the finger tips rest on the tops of the keys themselves, the only distance required for each finger to travel is 3/8ths of an inch! But many people are misguided into raising their fingers high with each key stroke, so they are compelled to make each finger travel up to THREE and 3/8ths of an inch! This seriously slows down your potential speed and creates much more tension in the playing than necessary.

M
M
kbk is right. Perhaps on a lighter action as pianos were back in Hanon's day this was appropriate, but to play on a modern instrument you really have to relax fingers and use arm weight instead to press the keys down. It's tough, but you're going to have to decide if you should stay with this teacher. Lifting fingers causes injury, period. It may not be a problem in elementary playing because the pieces aren't taxing, but as you improve, the pain and fatigue will increase, and you may be faced with deciding to quit piano altogether or having to take a huge step backwards and relearn your technique. Best to avoid the problem altogether, in my opinion.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Is it possible that your piano bench is too low for your torso? The forearms should be about level, or maybe a just little higher toward the elbows. But reaching up toward the keyboard is an express road to a hand or wrist injury. I'm having some trouble trying to picture how this is happening for you. If your elbows are down, the wrist and fingers might be tipping up. Or maybe that, plus you're leaning backwards.

Whatever the story is, it sounds like a strain, and it will be trouble sooner or later. Not all teachers have a good grounding in the physiology and posture that supports the player. I suggest you discuss your questions with the teacher--- find out why you're being asked to play in this way, and also do some research of your own--- reading up on it, experimenting with making the seat higher, maybe talking with other teachers and players.

Morodiene has a point. The best time to stop trouble is before it gets started. I didn't, and I have really paid for it. So, take a bad example and do the opposite!

Clef

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You do want those other fingers relaxed on the keys and I like what Morodiene has to say on the subject.

L
L
whwh,

My fingers also tend to want to hover over the keys. This causes problems for me because they are not in the proper position to accurately hit the next key when called for...I have to constantly hunt for the correct key by looking at the keyboard. If your fingers are laid out on the keys (whether is five-finger, octave, whatever the music calls for) you may have a better sense of where the next note is because your hand is "grounded" for lack of a better word. Perhaps one of the teachers can explain this better.

Lynn

Fingers stick up because initially your brain map is fuzzy, so all sorts of neurones fire that shouldn't. It is important for the finger areas of the brain to become as focused as possible as soon as possible so that only the required finger or fingers are innervated.

W
whwh Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I am kind of confused with what i should do now? Any more possible advice?

Rest your hands on the keyboard. Initiate movement from there and return to that position. Remember you're building a brain map.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
...your brain map is fuzzy...

That's me for sure!!
Maybe I can evolve to 'fuzzy logic' one day soon!

C
C
Morodiene above comments that;

Keep in mind that fingers 4 & 5 cannot move independent of one another.

What? Mine will. but I had to work at that to get them 'independent'.

James

Originally Posted by malkin
...your brain map is fuzzy...

That's me for sure!!
Maybe I can evolve to 'fuzzy logic' one day soon!
Fuzzy logic will just give you dystonia.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission