2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 12 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Hi, sorry for cross posting, but I am looking for a good book as a birthday gift for a teenager. I guess "good" is hard to define, so here is some background:

He will be 15 in a week. He has been taking lessons in classical piano for 6-8 years, so he has some training. Recently his high school friends and he formed a jazz band just for fun, and he found he enjoyed it a lot. He plays keyboard and trumpet in this new band.

He doesn't enjoy classical that much although he will continue the lessons in piano. I do want to encourage him to use music for enjoyment. Currently they are doing some improvisation but mostly by feeling. I want to encourage him to read a little so that he can do more, but at the same time I don't think he is going to study like a serious musician studying improvisation, theory, etc.

And that is ok too. Afterall, he is not going to be a music major. It is just for fun.

Is there any book that you would recommend that would be interesting for a teenage to read and study a little so that he can use it to improve his improvisation a little?

Thanks!

Dave
Y
Y
Well there's Jazz piano from scratch, also there's a book from MI which is called "A approach to jazz improvisation" Berklee press also has an interesting series called "berklee practice method: getting the band together" which has a book for piano as well as nine other instruments including guitar, bass, drums, trumpet... there might be other books out there, but these are the ones I'm aware of that might serve your purpose.

Let him pick out something from a catalog like this one.
http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merc...ore_Code=JAZZ&Category_Code=_CATALOG

I've had good luck with Aebersold products, some were over my head, but with his background I think he will be OK.

Malcolm

Last edited by majones; 04/26/09 09:51 AM.
Guy Offline
For that age, I'd highly recommend Denis DiBlasio's "The Bop Shop" (there might be two volumes). It is a great introduction to improvisation, and is written in a teen-friendly manner.

If he were to actually follow the "method", I think it is pretty solid.

Guy

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I like this book by Randy Halberstadt published by Sher Music, the same company that handles the Mark Levine books. Check out the online samples at:

http://www.shermusic.com/metaphors.htm

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you very much for the suggestions so far. I have been doing previewing for those that have previews. I will make an order soon. smile

I figure not everyone have the same discipline to read and study from page to page, especially for a teenager; but if it is something that he can flip through and get some things here and there, and maybe go back when he becomes more serious, that will be great for him.

Dave
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Don't forget the free Jazz Handbook Aebersold offers at http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merc...re_Code=JAZZ&Category_Code=_HANDBOOK

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
It really depends on how motivated this teenager is for jazz. For me "jazz piano book" by mark levine is a must have. I really don't think you need any other book... (hopefully by the time you've went through that book you're transcribing stuff to get new ideas and not from books). The problem is that you kind of have to figure a lot of stuff on your own, like doing all the voicings in all keys.

I've seen other books, and they usually have all the chords and stuff written out in all keys, and those might be better if he/she is not going to spend that much time working on jazz stuff.

Jazz+ #1189251 04/28/09 04:54 PM
H
H
Jazz+, checked out the Metaphors book after reading your post. I had never really looked that closely at it before. After checking out the samples via the link I am probably going to pick it up. I am like etcetra in that I have been working with Mark Levine's book. There is a lot between the material he delivers that I think Metaphors will offer.

Charles Walter model 1500 upright

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission