2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maestro Ng
Because if it's sound you're looking for, you'll be better off buying a big/good upright, than a bad/small grand piano, because from my understanding, most big uprights actually have a bigger soundboard than baby grands.

I know that from experience, Maestro Ng. I have a 1956 45" Baldwin Hamilton sitting next to my mom's 1998 4'11" Young Chang PG-150, and the Baldwin sounds noticeably better than the Young Chang.

1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
Originally Posted by 88Key_PianoPlayer
Because if it's sound you're looking for, you'll be better off buying a big/good upright, than a bad/small grand piano, because from my understanding, most big uprights actually have a bigger soundboard than baby grands.

I know that from experience, Maestro Ng. I have a 1956 45" Baldwin Hamilton sitting next to my mom's 1998 4'11" Young Chang PG-150, and the Baldwin sounds noticeably better than the Young Chang.

Point Proven.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng/

Proud owner of a Schimmel K 189T and a Challen 130.
P
OP Offline
P
Pardon the ignorance, but I have yet to research about Kohler & Campbell. Based on what I read here, it is a better option for under 10K for a baby grand than the entry-level baby grand by Kawai.

Do you agree? I will find dealers in Northern California.

S
S
If you have the room then get a baby grand.It is what you want.Enjoy your search.Play lots of pianos and be tough,don't get railroaded.Pianos are not flying off the shelves.Sleep on it and come here to ask more questions.The people here are very helpful and knowledgeable.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Maestro NG,
Not necessarily point proven. More like comparing apples and oranges. We do the challenge on nearly a daily basis in the store where I work. We demonstrate the tone and show the repetition on the new Yamaha U3 52" then the GB1 4'11". Whenever the shopper is a player, we have them sit and play both. I have yet to have a shopper prefer tone or the touch of the upright over the baby grand. The GB1 is actually cheaper than the upright. We are not trying to angle or move the customer. The pianos speak for themselves. Comparing the GC1 5'3" is even more dramatic.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
Originally Posted by Marty Flinn
Maestro NG,
Not necessarily point proven. More like comparing apples and oranges. We do the challenge on nearly a daily basis in the store where I work. We demonstrate the tone and show the repetition on the new Yamaha U3 52" then the GB1 4'11". Whenever the shopper is a player, we have them sit and play both. I have yet to have a shopper prefer tone or the touch of the upright over the baby grand. The GB1 is actually cheaper than the upright. We are not trying to angle or move the customer. The pianos speak for themselves. Comparing the GC1 5'3" is even more dramatic.

I realise that upright and grands are very different, so it certainly is up to personal preference. It may not be true that large uprights are better than small grands for ALL cases of large upright vs small grands, for example, I won't compare a small Steinway grand to a large Yamaha, but it does make a lot of sense if you look at it from the technical point of view. And of course you speak of money, and that is true too. I can guarantee the large Bosendorfer upright will be better than a small Kawai grand for example, but it'll almost certainly be much more costly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng/

Proud owner of a Schimmel K 189T and a Challen 130.
S
S
We had a wonderful Kawai 52" upright that sounded great but bought a 4'11' baby grand for the action.We believe the cheap baby grand from China has a more lively,ringing tone with not much difference in the low end.We had the upright in the same room for several weeks until we could sell it, so side by side comparison was easy.B.T.W. We did need to have the grand prepped to get it really sounding good.

Last edited by stanw909; 04/28/09 11:18 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Let's even the playing field somewhat. Aside from the issue of the action comparison of a grand vrs. an uprt.repetition,aftertouch,letoff etc.You take the kickboard and front panel off a good U3 and than make the comparison. grin

Last edited by pianobroker; 04/29/09 02:44 AM.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
D
D
I think I got very lucky back in January, but with a little persistence, you could find a good used grand in your price range. I tried dozens of pianos from Craigslist, and that was a huge disappointment. Every single piano was listed as a 'hidden gem,' but each of them was beyond the pale. I nearly gave up and decided to stick with my 46" Knabe. But an old aquaintance who was moving his studio had some pianos at a huge discount. He picked out five of them for me after I told him what I hoped for in the action and sound. I didn't care about the cabinet so much. I wound up with a 1928 Sohmer with new strings, pins, reconditioned board, pinblock, pedals. I paid less than $5,000 and I've been thrilled. The cabinet needed some work, but with a weekend of TLC, it looks very good for its age.

H
H
There's a 6'4" mid-1970's Knabe grand for sale from a local pianist for something like $6500. Sounds nice and well-kept from the ad. Are the mid-1970's Knabes, if well-kept, good instruments?

Like dglo, we have a 46" Knabe/Samick. I would love to upgrade into a grand, as we have the space and my 8 year old has taken a strong liking to piano (unlike me, when I was 8 years old).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Who wants a big ugly Yamaha U3 in their living room without the top and bottom door?

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Marty Flinn
Maestro NG,

I realise that upright and grands are very different, so it certainly is up to personal preference. It may not be true that large uprights are better than small grands for ALL cases of large upright vs small grands, for example, I won't compare a small Steinway grand to a large Yamaha, but it does make a lot of sense if you look at it from the technical point of view. And of course you speak of money, and that is true too. I can guarantee the large Bosendorfer upright will be better than a small Kawai grand for example, but it'll almost certainly be much more costly.

You wrote "point proven" based on one poster's opinion who agreed with yours.

What does saying a Bosendorfer upright sounds better than a small Kawai prove? It costs almost twice as much!

The size of the soundboard is only one factor of many determining the tonal quality.

My opinion would be at a certain(lower)price point many would say between two similarly priced pianos the upright is better. As the price point increases, the grand becomes a better and better choice. Finally, when a certain price point is reached most, would say the grand is better.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/02/09 02:53 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission