Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#1190943 - 04/30/09 11:18 PM Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Believe it or not, our 14th quarterly PianoWorld Adult Beginners Forum recital approaches! The recital will be posted some time on the 15th of May, which means that the submissions must be in by 9:00 pm EDT, May 14. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related.

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you.

Recital submissions should be in MP3 format. They will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent "free" recording application that can be used.

Submitting your recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. And thanks to LaValse's extremely generous offer to host the recital program and zip files on his server, it is no longer necessary to upload your mp3 files to box.net or some other file hosting server prior to submitting it to the recital. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://abf.make247.co.uk/

and follow the instructions there. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital website, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the new website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, you may want to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it. (Though there should be no problems. Mahlzeit is a genius. heart )

Mahlzeit's website will use the same submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, etc. etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME on May 14, 2009.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm? Think "consistency of concrete." smokin

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is an amateur recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! This serves to reward the folks who feel on top of their game, and it's about as fair as I can think of for all parties. You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time you will be bumped to the end of the list.

Should anyone have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, this is the place to ask away. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away!

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! thumb

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1190952 - 04/30/09 11:39 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.]
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
An early thanks to Monica and mahlzeit for the work it takes to run the recital.

I ended up having to do a bit extra emergency recording as I noticed after I had my first good take that the sheets I typed up managed to be missing two notes. It was hard to even notice but I had felt something didn't quite seem right at that spot. I managed to record a new version just in the nick of time to submit right as the recital opened.

*listens to uploaded submission*

Sounds pretty good, if I do say so myself. smile

Enjoy the battle of the red dot everyone and get working and submitting!

#1190962 - 05/01/09 12:05 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AnthonyB]
rustyfingers Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
I'm in. This from the chick who entered the her first recital 30 seconds before the deadline. If I can do that, there is hope for anyone.

(Of course, it's a short, easy piece so I shouldn't break my arm patting myself on the back.)

I'm looking forward to the 15th! Good luck everyone.

Edited by rustyfingers (05/01/09 12:28 AM)

#1190967 - 05/01/09 12:19 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: rustyfingers]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
I'm in. Everything seemed to go smoothly.

#1191023 - 05/01/09 02:24 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Strings & Wood]
Ode2Joy Offline

Loc: southern cal
Made it with a Bach piece this time around. Looking forward to the 15th.

Cheers!

#1191051 - 05/01/09 03:58 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Ode2Joy]
mahlzeit Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Wow, 11 pieces already. We're off to a good start. (I still have to decide what to play, ha ha. smile )

#1191057 - 05/01/09 04:39 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: mahlzeit]
HomeInMyShoes Offline

Big thank-yous to Monica K. and mahlzeit for all the work they put into this.

Outside of the preview player not getting through the whole piece it looks good. The downloaded file matches and sounds right.

#1191074 - 05/01/09 06:46 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: HomeInMyShoes]
GreenRain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Somewhere in Europe
13 pieces already! Wow. I'll have to finish mine first, which will take a few days.

Thanks Monica. smile

I'm looking forward to hear all those performances.

#1191133 - 05/01/09 09:56 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GreenRain]
Monica K. Offline

Wow... 14 submissions already! thumb

Just wanted to assure everybody that you should not worry if the "preview" button hangs up when you check on your submission. If you get the confirmation screen and subsequent email, your recording uploaded correctly. That preview button can be temperamental, and it may not play back your piece smoothly or in its entirety, depending on how you encoded the mp3 to begin with. It has to do with some complicated thing involving variable bitrate stuff that mahlzeit has tried, repeatedly and patiently, to explain to me that I never quite understand. grin

If you don't find the above sufficiently reassuring, you can always just use the provided link to download your piece and then play it, and that should convince you it was uploaded okay. smile

#1191145 - 05/01/09 10:24 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.]
Coolkid70 Offline

Loc: Irvine, CA
I hope to put in a short submission this time - maybe something a little different from the norm. I'm debating on putting in a little Webern piece versus a movement of Prokofiev's Visions Fugitives.

Anybody have any resolutions?

#1191193 - 05/01/09 11:42 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Coolkid70]
AlexDreamer Offline

Loc: France
Count me in.
The technical part seems okay, I *just* have to add some meaning to it wink

#1191276 - 05/01/09 01:54 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AlexDreamer]
GreenRain Offline
500 Post Club Member

One advice: Always check batteries!
When i finished playing Marche funebre, i found out that my camera stoped recording after 1 minute.

Nice. smile

#1191286 - 05/01/09 02:13 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GreenRain]
HomeInMyShoes Offline

^Doh!

#1191300 - 05/01/09 02:29 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: GreenRain]
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: GreenRain
One advice: Always check batteries!
When i finished playing Marche funebre, i found out that my camera stoped recording after 1 minute.

Nice. smile

Maybe Mr. SuperHunky can help in the battery dept!

#1191328 - 05/01/09 03:30 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AnthonyB]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
He he. If you liked that one, I can show you how to cook popcorn with your cell phone but I'll save that thread highjack for another time.

BTW, I now have a satelite internet connection for the summer (Wildblue) which is horribly slow and unreliable. I had a VERY difficult time submiting my recital piece as I constantly got timed out. Finally, when I hit the "send e-mail later" button, the program accepted it. I know the problem is most likely on my end since my internet provider is crap. Oh well. Beats dial up but not by much! I want my high speed cable back.

Edited by mr_super-hunky (05/01/09 03:31 PM)

#1191488 - 05/01/09 09:28 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
z32 Offline

Loc: California
Yay, my 2nd recital! This should be fun! smile Can't wait to hear everyone's great works!

#1191508 - 05/01/09 10:12 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: z32]
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: z32
Yay, my 2nd recital! This should be fun! smile Can't wait to hear everyone's great works!

And I'm sure Monica can't wait either and will easily abuse her administrative powers. smile

Nice to see you around z32, I recall listening to a few of your pieces when I first showed up on the forums here.

#1191528 - 05/01/09 11:22 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AnthonyB]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Is non beginner stuff welcome?

Deborah

#1191533 - 05/01/09 11:33 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AnthonyB]
z32 Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: AnthonyB

And I'm sure Monica can't wait either and will easily abuse her administrative powers. smile

Nice to see you around z32, I recall listening to a few of your pieces when I first showed up on the forums here.

Hehe thanks AnthonyB. I still check in every now and then around here when I get the chance. Unfortunately, I don't think my piano skills have progressed much since back when I used to post regularly. Just haven't been able to allocate a lot of time to practicing in my schedule. Although, still loving every minute I get to sit down and just play!

#1191535 - 05/01/09 11:39 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: gooddog]
jazzyprof Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Sure! It's not just for "beginner stuff". Submissions have ranged from Alfred Book 1 to Chopin Etudes and beyond.

#1191566 - 05/02/09 01:24 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: jazzyprof]
Ken. Offline

I think the only prerequisite for participating is that you were an Adult beginner at some stage.

#1191604 - 05/02/09 04:35 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Ken.]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Deborah,

By all means submit a piece. Every one is welcome.

I don't even think we care if someone is an adult. Debussy20 (Matt) used to submit recordings and I don't think he was old enough to have a drivers license at the time. I'm sure he was not the only non-Adult non-Beginner to participate.

Rich

#1191627 - 05/02/09 05:52 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: DragonPianoPlayer]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Aurora, CO
Wow! 21 pieces already! You guys are on the ball! I'm still working mine out....no guarantees at this point....

#1191630 - 05/02/09 06:13 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: kennychaffin]
HomeInMyShoes Offline

^Great variety too, only J.S. Bach has more than one (and only two submissions). I can't wait to start listening on the 15th.

#1191691 - 05/02/09 09:50 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: HomeInMyShoes]
GreenRain Offline
500 Post Club Member

My recording is submited. smile

#1191694 - 05/02/09 10:02 AM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: HomeInMyShoes]
Monica K. Offline

You missed the two Einaudi pieces, HomeInMyShoes. wink And there will be more to come. We can't let JohnFrank down in that respect. laugh

gooddog, the recital encompasses the entire range of ability from brand new beginner to quite advanced. Just check out Recital 13 for an idea of the variety that we receive.

So please feel welcome to submit something. smile

#1191868 - 05/02/09 03:10 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.]
HomeInMyShoes Offline

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
You missed the two Einaudi pieces, HomeInMyShoes. wink

Report Card
-----------
Student: HomeInMyShoes

Scales: fair
Theory: passable
Practical: good
Observation Skills: needs improvement

[slap on the forehead smiley]

#1191873 - 05/02/09 03:17 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: HomeInMyShoes]
kennychaffin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Aurora, CO
Originally Posted By: HomeInMyShoes
Originally Posted By: Monica K.
You missed the two Einaudi pieces, HomeInMyShoes. wink

Report Card
-----------
Student: HomeInMyShoes

Scales: fair
Theory: passable
Practical: good
Observation Skills: needs improvement

[slap on the forehead smiley]

One like this:

#1191879 - 05/02/09 03:28 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.]
bluekeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Oh my! Recital time already and I'm not prepared. I see someone has already done one of my pieces, Invention #8, so I'll probably end up being thoroughly outclassed, just like last time with Maple Leaf Rag. Oh well, I may submit five minutes before the deadline with a dozens flubs, but it's still going to be Inventions #1 and #8. Now that I've written it down here I have to do it or I'll suffer horrible pangs of guilt. Maybe even have trouble breathing and start running a fever. Then everyone will think I have swine flu and run away from me in terror like I'm some hideous monster! Uh oh, better get plunking on the keys and fire up the ol' red dot.

#1191943 - 05/02/09 04:58 PM Re: Recital #14 --- Call For Submissions [Re: bluekeys]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
I did it, in for my second recital!

You have made the submission process SO easy, thank you for that. I know we all appreciate it. Now, if there's just something that you could do to make the actual RECORDING easier... grin I spent a couple of hours trying to get a good "take," this is as good as it's gonna get!

I look forward to hearing all the submissions.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (casinitaly, Cmin, 18 invisible), 858 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76027 Members
42 Forums
157201 Topics
2308796 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Repeated note legato
by noobpianist90
Today at 02:16 AM
"Y.Becker" # 6839 (pin)
by Maximillyan
Today at 01:54 AM
Why are semi-concert grands so expensive?
by ColinDS
Today at 12:07 AM
AMEB Grades
by Patonpiano
Yesterday at 11:22 PM
Hearing loss
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission