2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Right on wr,

All these dull musicologist chappies with their beady, research eyes vainly searching for some tone poem content (meaning) in the writings of Chopin are bound to come up short ... they just aren’t blessed with a liberal dose of social bonhomie to share the magic.

So maybe Chopin didn’t like his works to be nick-named by the motley ... but forgive later generations from seeing breathtaking images in the playing of his masterpieces ... here for example is what Rubinstein said of the Ballade in F, Opus 38:

"A field flower, a windstorm, the wind caressing the flower, resistance of the flower, stormy fight of the wind, pleading of the flower — the flower lies broken. Or, paraphrased, the flower can be regarded as a country lass, the wind as a knight".

By the way chaps ... I’m presently engaged in a new adventure ... making marmalade.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by btb
By the way chaps ... I’m presently engaged in a new adventure ... making marmalade.

As a marmalade maker myself, some advice: don't let it stick to the bottom of the pan or it might burn. Just stir now and again. Hey, you ought to be able to do that! grin

Du holde Kunst...
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Too late currawong ... while I was out giving my dog a pavement sniff ... blackened bits started emerging ... now I've got the makings of dark marmalade ... but thanks for the tip.

PS On the bottom of the pot ... I think I've invented a super-glue for fixing tiles to space-vehicles.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Perhaps he did have extra-musical ideas about his works; but if he didn't include it in the title of the piece, we have no way of knowing. If we refer to Op 28, no 15 as simply "Prelude, Op 28, no 15," is it any less beautiful?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by btb
Right on wr,

All these dull musicologist chappies with their beady, research eyes vainly searching for some tone poem content (meaning) in the writings of Chopin are bound to come up short ... they just aren’t blessed with a liberal dose of social bonhomie to share the magic.
[...]

Our dog-trotting, South African marmalade manufacturer cites Georges [sic!] Sand as an authoritative source for his point of view and then belittles others for finding sources that support their point of view. Double standard is foul play!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by moscheles001
Perhaps he did have extra-musical ideas about his works; but if he didn't include it in the title of the piece, we have no way of knowing. If we refer to Op 28, no 15 as simply "Prelude, Op 28, no 15," is it any less beautiful?

No, it doesn't make it less beautiful. I wasn't advocating extraneous titles, but just pointing out that Chopin's music may not have been totally abstract "pure" music to the composer himself, but sometimes had specific associations for him.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by BruceD
Our dog-trotting, South African marmalade manufacturer cites Georges [sic!] Sand as an authoritative source for his point of view and then belittles others for finding sources that support their point of view. Double standard is foul play!

Yeah! May his marmalade fail to jell! smile

Du holde Kunst...
J
J
Originally Posted by maxine
I began learning this piece awhile ago, but I'm still having trouble with the beginning. I can play the entire first page and the first bit of the second with my right and left hands separate but not together.

And I can play from where the key signature changes and it's "poco piu animato" to the part where it repeats the beginning before coming to a close with both hands playing. It's probably because I don't have that much experience, and the way those notes are fit together sorta throws me.

Does anyone who's played this piece in its entirety have tips for me?
I'm nearing on 2 years of piano exp., and I'm learning this piece without my teacher.

Maxine, i too just learned this piece, i too took about two months on it( also on interpretation) and my suggestion for you is take smaller steps, and learn something easier. really.

However, if you insist on learning it, practice slowly, make sure the repeating A flat/Gsharp atay even and dont drown out the melody.

JBL

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.
Rachmaninoff op3 no 5
Chopin Polonaise op 40 no 1
Beethoven-Sonata op 14 no 1
Hayden Piano Concerto in D major, Hob. XVIII:11
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Just to let you chaps know that my black marmalade
(alternately super-glue, or perhaps even an antidote for scurvy) is not selling well ... but with half the ingredients over (using a small pot), I’m determined to get back on the bronco.

But in the interim, while reading in my morning bath (sudden chill in the Pretoria air) from Hadden’s "The Master Musicians", I came across these insightful words about Chopin:

"To play him and not sympathize with him — not to have something that spirit of romance that shines out in his compositions — is to court certain failure; and that is why so many players whose talent is chiefly executive have had to give him up and leave him to the appreciation of the far-seeing few."

Must get back to stirring the pot!!

Those 'whose talent is chiefly executive'. I shall remember that all day!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by moscheles001

No, it doesn't make it less beautiful. I wasn't advocating extraneous titles, but just pointing out that Chopin's music may not have been totally abstract "pure" music to the composer himself, but sometimes had specific associations for him.

Perhaps he did, but since we don't know, we can't let that limit our performance of the music, or our reaction to it.

The issue is whether the Chopin's fingering should be ignored in order to better imitate rain drops. If he wasn't imitating rain drops (as far as we know), then his fingering should be respected.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by moscheles001[...
The issue is whether the Chopin's fingering should be ignored in order to better imitate rain drops. If he wasn't imitating rain drops (as far as we know), then his fingering should be respected.

How would the fact that Chopin was - or was not - imitating rain drops affect whether or not to choose Chopin's fingering? Or, to put it another way: could I not imitate rain drops using Chopin's fingering? It seems to me that whether one wants to think of this specific piece as programme music or whether one wants to think of it as purely abstract music, the recommended fingering is preferable because it is that which produces the most musical results consistent with Chopin's style of writing.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by moscheles001[...

How would the fact that Chopin was - or was not - imitating rain drops affect whether or not to choose Chopin's fingering? Or, to put it another way: could I not imitate rain drops using Chopin's fingering? It seems to me that whether one wants to think of this specific piece as programme music or whether one wants to think of it as purely abstract music, the recommended fingering is preferable because it is that which produces the most musical results consistent with Chopin's style of writing.

Regards,

Thanks. Your response is much more logical than mine. I hope it's OK to be logical, lest we be accused of being Vulcans, too?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission