Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1192350 - 05/03/09 07:21 AM String Resonance: Yamaha v Roland
mdb2303 Offline

Loc: Birmingham - UK
Hi, is there anybody there with good experience of acoustic pianos who could comment on how good string resonance is on the latest yamahas (CLP 380, CVP 405-409) compared to the Roalnds?
I have tried both and have noticed the Yamahas do seem slightly less realistic in that there are combinations which don't seem to resonate as I'd expect (e.g. try holding down a cluster in the top of the keyboards and the virtual strings don't always resonate with the bass as I'd expect). But I'd need to spend a couple of hours in the shop to get a good idea! Any comments?

(ad) Roland

Click Here

#1192359 - 05/03/09 07:55 AM Re: String Resonance: Yamaha v Roland [Re: mdb2303]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
On the HP-207 anyway, you can adjust this feature and turn the amount of string resonance up or down (default is in the middle). It's a pretty subtle effect and not always noticible, especially if you're using the damper pedal anyway. Still it's nice that Roland puts it into the mid-range HP-203 as well as their flagship.

I can't really comment on Roland vs. Yamaha accuracy. I haven't spent enough time with a CP-380 to be very familiar with how it manages the effect.

#1192587 - 05/03/09 03:43 PM Re: String Resonance: Yamaha v Roland [Re: Geoffk]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Nuances as this are often revealed by concentrated play over an hour or two. Find a shop that will let you have at it with headphones and put them through their paces. Also look for the instrument that allows you to express yourself the best. Often times folks are listen for with the instrument will do instead of listening for what the instrument will allow them to do.

#1192942 - 05/04/09 07:19 AM Re: String Resonance: Yamaha v Roland [Re: Marty Flinn]
mdb2303 Offline

Loc: Birmingham - UK
I like the idea of listening to what the instrument will allow me to do rather than what it will do...

Has anyone ever seen a full review (or even technical specification) for the string resonance? The reviews I have seen have been pretty bad, not much more than "it's great, wow, and it does string resonance, groovy", I'd like to see something a bit more objective"

#1192949 - 05/04/09 07:34 AM Re: String Resonance: Yamaha v Roland [Re: mdb2303]
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
Here's what Roland's web site says:
"String Resonance accurately reproduces the subtle and varied sympathetic string vibration caused on an acoustic piano when a key is pressed while other keys are already being held down."

There are 10 available levels of intensity which can be selected.

In essence, it does exactly the same thing as damper resonance, but only for the strings which are currently depressed. Pressing the damper pedal minimizes the effect, since those strings (and others) are free to resonante anyway.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
174 registered (accordeur, acortot, A Guy, 36251, 47 invisible), 1811 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153544 Topics
2250255 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Learning Myths...
by evamar
2 minutes 28 seconds ago
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
Today at 10:34 AM
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
Today at 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
Today at 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:19 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission