2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#1192912 05/04/09 04:14 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
...if you can help it. Few appreciate the exceedingly sensitive nature of our non-conscious nervous impulses. Unaware to us the nervous system feels key depression entirely all the way to the bed. We are here dealing with wood, felt, pivots, hinges et al. Compressing a string just doesn't do it for the nervous system (I can already hear all the 'real piano action' DP declaimers, and the 'good DP better than a bad piano(ers)') - the bottom line being the feel of pulling a lever that throws a hammer that hits strings that resonate with the body, all of which you are not conscious of.

Don't get me wrong. Perform on what you like. It's what you train on that that's essential.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
For the same reason, I don't practice on upright pianos, either. The upright at my school is a piece of junk, and it actually hurts my hand when I play on it.

If you want to perform on concert grands, then at the very least get a baby grand for practice.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I honestly have no idea what you are talkig about. On a reao piano, you press the key to the keybed, then the hammer files out of the escapement and by the time it strikes the strings it is already out of your hands so to speak. n a DP you also press the key all the way to the keybed and have a similar sensation. Only the actual sound-generating mechanism is different. On a good DP, the sound is directional (bass from the left, treble from the right) and the case and keys will subtly vibrate from the sound, similarly to an acoustic.

Mind you, most DP players would prefer to have an acoustic, at least during the daytime. But transitioning from a good modern DP to a real piano is trivial, and the skills learned on one are directly applicable to the other with minimal change. Frankly, the difference between a DP and acoustic is no more than the difference between an upright and grand in terms of technique and simularity.

If that doesn't work for you, that's fine. Everyone has their preferences. But even conservatories are using DP's extensively now--for the reasons you disparage--namely that practicing on in-tune, properly functioning DPs is far better than studying on broken-down out-of-tune acoustics and directly comparable in terms of skills developed. Not to mention playing late at night.

OP Offline
Geoffk, as I quite carefully stated it's the non-conscious extremely sensitive element of the nervous system that I'm concerned about. I feel sure it gets blunted. A DP with 100% hammer-flying-at-something action would be close though still missing the interaction with resonance.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
For the same reason, I don't practice on upright pianos, either. The upright at my school is a piece of junk, and it actually hurts my hand when I play on it.

If you want to perform on concert grands, then at the very least get a baby grand for practice.
I think you understand. How can we dare assume how sensitive we are?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Geoffk
But even conservatories are using DP's extensively now--
I'm sure they cry all the way to the bank!

V
V
This isn't good... a majority of my practicing will be done on a digital piano next year. frown
It'll probably take a lot of effort to walk all the way to practice rooms whenever I'm on campus... *sigh*

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Well, if you *think* playing on a DP screws up your performance, than it probably does. Whether that's the fault of the piano or the fault of your mindset when you sit down to it remains to be seen. Which is why I encourage people not to develop unhelpful prejudices that they may regret.

Maybe not an average DP, but I'd be willing to bet that there are very high-end DPs that you couldn't distinguish in play from an acoustic if you were blindfolded before seeing it. I'd be interested to see whether your unconcious would still revolt under that circumstance. Mine certainly wouldn't.

M
M
This is the sort of statement that gives instrumental teachers a bad reputation as pedagogues. What evidence have you got for the assertion that practicing on a DP is bad for performance training? Has the evidence been published in a good journal of music education? Or is this just "feeling"?

"DP with 100% hammer-flying-at-something action" - that's exactly what they have: a hammer flying at a damper (see http://music.yamaha.com/products/highlights/keyboardsAST/8.html the Roland pianos have a similar mechanism)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Anything less than a full concert grand will result in complete failure. I bought my 8 year old his own Fazioli (I have one too) because I couldn't imagine how he could do justice to "Our Detective Agency", his latest oeuvre, and not develop a personal relationship with a high end piano.

Justin
-------
Bach English Suite #5
Scarlatti Sonata K141 . L422
Mozart Sonata K333
Schubert Impromptu opus 90 D899
Schubert Moment Musicaux opus 94 D780
C
C
I agree with keyboardklutz that it is better to practice on a mechanical piano, however if one can`t help practising on it a DP develops a more sensitive touch in the way that any little mistake fouling a key ant it will sound, spoiling the practice.

That has the effect of making one more aware of keeping the fingers away from fouling keys and when one plays on a mechanical piano it is much easier as that type of piano is more tolerant to small fouling of keys by the fingers and it won`t sound so readily.

This only applies for those whose mistakes playing is over 50% of the score, like me................if only playing the piano was making mistakes I would be brilliant. It would be a great invention to have software on a DP or mechanical P whereby any mistake made would be instantenously corrected by it...........

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
That's true for some DPs, especially lower-end models with a very light touch. However, higher-end DPs have a very solid key-feel. The high-end Rolands even have a simulated escapement mechanism which prevents a key from sounding if it's played too softly (just as the hammer on a real piano wouldn't reach the string in that situation).

I agree that playing on an "unrealistic" DP may result in bad habits. But a good DP is very good indeed now, and needs no excuses.

OP Offline

Maybe not an average DP, but I'd be willing to bet that there are very high-end DPs that you couldn't distinguish in play from an acoustic if you were blindfolded before seeing it. I'd be interested to see whether your unconcious would still revolt under that circumstance. Mine certainly wouldn't.
That's just silly, besides you shouldn't second guess the non-conscious.

F
F
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Geoffk, as I quite carefully stated it's the non-conscious extremely sensitive element of the nervous system that I'm concerned about. I feel sure it gets blunted. A DP with 100% hammer-flying-at-something action would be close though still missing the interaction with resonance.
Mm. I have a DP with 100% hammer-flying-at-something action (which might I add is a brilliant description. :D) and it feels, at least, indistinguishable to a real piano. Unfortunately, it has a maximum threshold of volume that is less than my maximum hand velocity, and, of course, it doesn't help my tone in the slightest. Much as I wish I could have a proper piano, it would cost too much.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G

Maybe not an average DP, but I'd be willing to bet that there are very high-end DPs that you couldn't distinguish in play from an acoustic if you were blindfolded before seeing it.

It's not silly at all. Look up "placebo effect" or "double-blind experiment". The fact is that you have (bad) expectations when you play a DP and you're probably right, they do affect you even if subconcious. But I still think that they're mental issues, not physical issues with the instrument. Hence the need for the blindfold, so you don't walk in with your mind already set.

OP Offline
Hmm, subconscious and non-conscious are quite different - doesn't help to confuse them.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
... Few appreciate the exceedingly sensitive nature of our non-conscious nervous impulses.

Glad that you're exceedingly sensitive to these exceedingly sensitive impulses - how did you get to be one of the few...

... (I can already hear all the 'real piano action' DP declaimers, and the 'good DP better than a bad piano(ers)') -

Nice touch - anticipate objections and dismiss them offhand by simply mentioning them ...

... Don't get me wrong. Perform on what you like. It's what you train on that that's essential.

Train on acoustic only but then perform on a DP? Won't one's exceedingly sensitive unconcious nervous impulses notice immediately and respond negatively?

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

I think you understand. How can we dare assume how sensitive we are?

But isn't that exactly what you're doing in your OP?

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Why not - it's a time-honored tradition - besides how else can we figure out what the heck it's up to?

Regards, JF

Originally Posted by jnod
... to "Our Detective Agency", his latest oeuvre, and not develop a personal relationship with a high end piano.

I love that tune! One of the highlights of level 2A!

That being said, I regularly practice on a mediocre upright, occasionally practice on a DP, and perform on grands probably 20 concerts a year.

Granted, I'm not a concert pianist who plays solo recitals and concerto engagements, most of my performing is as an accompanist, but an upright and DP works just fine for me. (I have a grand, but it's bad shape and I'm waiting to have it rebuilt.)

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission