Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1194158 - 05/05/09 11:41 PM Reading piano/vocal/guitar sheet music-help please
BeBrave7893 Offline

Loc: USA
This is my first actual experience playing something from a piano/vocal/guitar sheet music book and I'm a little confused.

http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/BeBrave7893/?action=view&current=pictures5-5-09029.jpg

For this measure (5 sharps, btw) do I play the G#, C#, and D# on the right hand at the same time? I don't really understand how to read the notes. I would think I would play the G# and C# followed by the D#, but it doesn't sound right.

And then there are certain measures with the same note right next to each other. Would I play the note twice?? Here are some examples (one flat, btw)

http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/BeBrave7893/?action=view&current=pictures5-5-09028.jpg
http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/BeBrave7893/?action=view&current=pictures5-5-09032.jpg
http://s605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/BeBrave7893/?action=view&current=pictures5-5-09036.jpg

I hope the pictures worked out okay and I hope you can help me in any way possible. Thank you!

Piano & Music Accessories
#1194606 - 05/06/09 04:57 PM Re: Reading piano/vocal/guitar sheet music-help please [Re: BeBrave7893]
majones Offline

Loc: Deep East Texas Piney Woods
Originally Posted By: BeBrave7893
For this measure (5 sharps, btw) do I play the G#, C#, and D# on the right hand at the same time? I don't really understand how to read the notes. I would think I would play the G# and C# followed by the D#, but it doesn't sound right.

Well the picture of the music did not travel well enough to see what you are talking about, but, here goes...... Notice you have melody notes and chord names over the melody notes. Couple of ways to do this - the normal way is to play the melody with your right hand and the chords with your left hand. As you do not have standard notation for the chords you have to know how to make a G#, C#, D# etc. You sound the chord with your left hand as your right hand is playing the melody that is shown under the chord name. Perhaps this will help lets use the lyrics as a guide when to sound the chord. Notice the D#sus chord is over the lyric word "way" and the F#9 chord is over the lyric word "soon". When the music moves to the word "way" you play the D#sus chord and sustain it until the word "soon" comes into the song and here you change to the F#9 chord. etc. etc.

Quote:
And then there are certain measures with the same note right next to each other. Would I play the note twice?? Here are some examples (one flat, btw)

Again the picture did not travel well. But, if the note is listed twice (with out an arch connecting the two notes) yes you sound it twice, however if it has the arch you do not play the note twice - just sustain the first note for another beat. Hope that made since.

Malcolm

Edited by majones (05/06/09 05:08 PM)

#1194679 - 05/06/09 07:01 PM Re: Reading piano/vocal/guitar sheet music-help please [Re: majones]
BeBrave7893 Offline

Sorry if I was a little confusing. I'll try to clarify a bit.

I play the piano. The first staff should be the vocal line (treble clef only). The next to are connected (bass clef and treble). The key signature has 5 sharps, so this song is in G# minor. My question is: Do I play a B natural on the left hand while playing a G#,C# and D# on the right hand? I don't know if I would play the D# on the right hand at the same time that I play the G# and C#. This is all on the connected staffs (staves?)

For my second question, if you look at any of the 3 bottom links, you'll see some notes that are the same and are right next to each other, with one stem going up and one stem going down. Would I play that note twice? They're not connected with a tie or anything. This is also reading the piano line.

My apologies if you cannot see the pictures. This is my first experience with photobucket, and I don't know any other way to post pictures.

#1194680 - 05/06/09 07:02 PM Re: Reading piano/vocal/guitar sheet music-help please [Re: majones]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
Since the duplicate notes are on the same beat, just different note values, they are a way of indicating two separate voices that are being played at the same time. You would just hold the note for the longest note value.

Rich

#1194705 - 05/06/09 08:28 PM Re: Reading piano/vocal/guitar sheet music-help please [Re: BeBrave7893]
majones Offline

Loc: Deep East Texas Piney Woods
Originally Posted By: BeBrave7893
My question is: Do I play a B natural on the left hand while playing a G#,C# and D# (are you asking about G#, C#, D# notes or chords???)on the right hand? If chords they should be minor chords - right? I don't know if I would play the D# on the right hand at the same time that I play the G# and C#. This is all on the connected staffs (staves?)

I think this will answer your question. You could if you were playing chords piano and not bothering with the melody. With the left hand you could play a G# note then a D# note (1-5) then sound the G#m block chord with the right hand and end the measure with another D# note on the left hand. That would be an acceptable 4/4 accompaniment pattern. G# note on beat 1, D# note on beat 2, Block chord on beat 3 and end the measure with another D# note as the 4th beat. Yes that is classic chord accompaniment. There are probably 100 other left hand, right hand "patterns" you could use. You mentioned using the 3rd - sure - instead of repeating the 1-5 in the next measure start with a 3-5 left hand, right hand block chord, then repeat the 5 with the left hand to end the measure. What ever.

Malcolm

Edited by majones (05/06/09 09:00 PM)

#1194731 - 05/06/09 09:06 PM Re: Reading piano/vocal/guitar sheet music-help please [Re: majones]
DragonPianoPlayer Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Denver, CO
BeBrave,

Yes, if you are playing this arrangement, you would play all the notes you mention in the right hand. The stems are going in different direction to help you distinguish the melody from accompaniment notes that are also played by the right hand.

To post these images in PianoWorld, copy the IMG Code text that photo-bucket displays.

Here are the images you are referring to:

#1194756 - 05/06/09 10:04 PM Re: Reading piano/vocal/guitar sheet music-help please [Re: DragonPianoPlayer]
BeBrave7893 Offline

Okay, I understand everything now. Thank you Malcolm and Rich.

Rich: I finally know how to post images. laugh

Malcolm: I did mean the notes, not the chords. I'm basically trying to play the piano line exactly as written. I don't know enough about reading sheet music to try and improvise.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
87 registered (Beemer, adanepst, AZNpiano, ando, Atrys, angga888, 14 invisible), 1320 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153516 Topics
2249676 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission