2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 37 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 36 37
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Bill Bremmer RPT
You can't simply say that you have found the one and only way to do it and expect everyone to embrace it and never look beyond that one idea, whatever it is and no matter how and how well you may justify it. You can only offer what you know how to do.

For some time here you have constantly been witnessed beating other members over the head with your way to do it……

The future market will surely demand choices.

For the last 100 years or so the market has demanded ET. This is not likely to change anytime soon.

As a designer of a tuning style, I believe you have the right to market or otherwise promote your concepts

Not on this forum..One of the first rules of the PW forums is the one about self promotion, and the fact that this is not permitted.

but to try to tell people that your ideas are the only one and correct way to tune will ultimately work against you.

And they have worked against you.

B
B
When I wrote my last post here, I wanted not to stand on one of two opposite sides in this argue, but I wanted to say that Bill*s words made me think in a phylosophical way.What I can see here are two sides having their own arguments pro et contra, and I am sure that both sides are very respectable, and have some clever things to say. Men*s knowledge has always been improoved with the new discoveries in science, and it is fair to give each new idea the opportunity to proove itself. I personally always use ET, but that is because no one ever has shown me some other ways to tune, in the way that would please my subjective taste. I do not manage to follow all the things you are talking about here in all scientific details, but maybe that I am witnessing here the creation of a very important moment in piano tuning. I have more to say, but I am little afraid not to make the arguing even bigger than it already is. I wish you all the best.

Bojan Babic
piano technician and tuner
Sid, Vojvodina, Serbia
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, Dan, there is an inherent (and hilarious) problem with stating “There is one and only one way of looking at things, and that is that there are always many ways of looking at things!”

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Bojan:

One of my reservations with tuning non-ET is that artistry is for the artists, not the technicians. Imagine manufacturing artist supplies and deliberately making the paints so that the color and texture is not consistent, the brushes have a mind of their own and the canvases are not really flat. The supplies might make the paintings look better, but that is not the manufacturer’s job; that is the artist’s job. There is a Piano Technician’s Guild for tuners not a Piano Artist’s Guild.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bojan Babic
When I wrote my last post here, I wanted not to stand on one of two opposite sides in this argue, but I wanted to say that Bill*s words made me think in a phylosophical way.What I can see here are two sides having their own arguments pro et contra, and I am sure that both sides are very respectable, and have some clever things to say. Men*s knowledge has always been improoved with the new discoveries in science, and it is fair to give each new idea the opportunity to proove itself. I personally always use ET, but that is because no one ever has shown me some other ways to tune, in the way that would please my subjective taste. I do not manage to follow all the things you are talking about here in all scientific details, but maybe that I am witnessing here the creation of a very important moment in piano tuning. I have more to say, but I am little afraid not to make the arguing even bigger than it already is. I wish you all the best.

Good posting Bojan,

You are welcome to write anything you would like to here on this forum......

For me there is no argument in all of this. There is nothing wrong with new ideas except when they are promoted in a way that dismisses another idea as wrong and an ill-conceived concept.

To achieve a new tuning procedure and then promote this procedure by belittling and diminishing previous works by others is not the way to go in my opinion. This is the constant theme in Bremmer’s postings.............

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Yes, Dan, there is an inherent (and hilarious) problem with stating “There is one and only one way of looking at things, and that is that there are always many ways of looking at things!”

Yes Bremmer's arguments are circular, this is a common theme too...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Dan:

Here's a "Far Side" thought: Imagine what Bill would say if his new vehicle and it's gadgets behaved artistically!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by alfredo capurso
..."As someone that used to work for the circus, let me advise you to not be decieved by the smoke and mirrors. Notice how little things are made important and important things are made little to suit the situation."...

Be it referred to Bill's or to me, I've got no words. I formally complain for insinuating in such a way, with no arguments what so ever.

I agree with you on that Alfredo. Of course hurling insults is a traditional way to settle tuning arguments, so we are following a respectable tradition. Perhaps the argument should be decided the old-fashioned way by a duel (or a war).

Kees

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My comments are not so much about the virtues of one tuning over another as they are about the outrageous way some tunings are being advertised. The best term I can think of is propaganda. I mentioned how I see things are being distorted. Each can make up their own mind.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jeff, Dan - please respect this thread, and its original poster Alfredo.

Bill's post was directly related to Alfredos thoughts on ET/quasi-ET/Victorian Wells. Shortly after that Alfredo posted this:

Hello Jake, Mark, N.a.M., Kees, Patrick, Bojan Babic and All.

I'd really like to elaborate more in depth, maybe once for all, what we were talking about last night? What do you understand by reading what Bill posted last June 15, 2009?

Now, can the two of you open a new thread named "general muttering", post your grudge posts there, and let us others keep on topic?

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik
https://facebook.com/wingrenpianistik
Concert Tuner at Schauman Hall, Jakobstad, Finland
Musician, arranger, composer

- - - -
Dedicated to learning the craft of tuning. Getting better.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You may be back to theory now. Ask Bill about ET actual tuning, how many times could he find progressive M3's and M6's, when the tuning was meant to be ET. This could give you a measure of the gap between the first ET model and actual tuning practice.

Which range, Alfredo? I might have troubles at the tenor/bass break, and the high octaves bring challenges into the game, but I DO leave C3-C5 with progressive M3's and M6's when I tune ET. At least 9 times out of 10 (the 10th one for the benefit of a doubt wink )

When I tune EBVT (in its original form, or in EBVT III - the EBVT II is considered obsolete by Bill, and this has been repeatedly stated in this forum) I get 3rds and 6ths that in no way progress, because they shouldn't. Ascending 3rds or 6ths played on a piano tuned in any EBVT leaves a painstakingly clear result: The beat rates far from progress, on the contrary they are all over the place. Deliberately, not by accident.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The very nature of ET? Do you mean conceptually? You may know, Chas ET refers to geometric proportions in nature. What is the point of going, conceptually, against the very nature of nature? Then we get one more unjustified conjecture, that our ear would be spoiled by ET....In my opinion, our ear was disturbed and oppressed because of the impossibility to tune 12th root of two and pure octaves.

Yes, but stepping out of theory for a while, how many tuners do you think tune an ET that follows the 12th root of two, and then go for pure octaves? I personally haven't heard any such tunings in real life. Everybody stretches octaves to some extent, including the temperament octave (consciously or not). So you might refer to this theoretically to strengthen your case, but it doesn't resemble real life.

Originally Posted by alfredo carpurso
...“I do not put scientific research down, quite contrary - I think it is needed. But if the end result is similar to another way of setting the temperament (your own method), but they both end up in a CHAS tuning, is there a practical difference?”...

What you could do is not mixing temperament theory and tuning practice. As I say, Chas theory is not only about a method for setting the temperament, it implies a new approach to tuning, it is about a developing form that needs to be described (and understood) in dynamical terms.

If, how and when you get a similar tuning is a different matter. What may the practical difference be? You've said it, the degree of similarity.

Let me then just remind you, Alfredo, that any tuning worth *literally* listening to, is a mix of temperament theory and tuning practice.

Last edited by pppat; 05/18/10 04:32 PM.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
.Between what I do and what Bernhard Stopper does, although the two are aurally perceptive as different, there isn't really that much difference numerically or aurally as perceived by both casual and very educated listener alike. The difference amounts to a few cents here and there of manipulation of the temperament octave and midrange. If we take the "ET with pure 5ths" idea which I consider to be too extreme, there still is not all that much difference between a PTG Master Tuning and what would be required to produce those results in the midrange; a couple of cents worth at most.

If there were very much more of a difference in any of these, the results would inevitably be perceived as unacceptable by at least some and that "some" would be far too many to try to convince. There is simply a limit on how far one can go before it is too far and that limit has a very narrow range.

Therefore, it begs the question whenever any one of these new and improved ETs come out which claim to have the ultimate answer to universal beauty, "Just where is that sweet spot?" If we don't hit it this time but get it the next, will anyone really ever notice or care?

What do you understand?

I understand that EBVT is a modern quasi-ET. If it was called FCDT (Few Cents Differing Temperament) it would be valid as much and it could open to other FCDT's, with custom-spotted color here and there.

Alfredo, Owen Jorgensen told me that to label the EBVT or EBVT III as "quasi equal" was not proper. That designation belongs to attempts at tuning ET which were imperfect, indeed the ET via Marpurg idea that I have is an example. The results are very close to true ET but not quite; close enough to receive a perfect score on the PTG tuning exam but still not perfect.

It may depend upon what any one person's idea of what "almost equal" is. Generally, however, the temperaments which are known as Quasi Equal are those 19th Century style temperaments that have no distinct well tempered kind of key color; no alignment of the Major thirds with the cycle of 5ths. Most often, the inequality does not seem to have a purpose; is is more or less random.

The temperament most often called "Marpurg" was not what Marpurg himself actually did but is a modern interpretation of a composite of ideas by both Marpurg and Neidhardt with the even more modern 4:5 ratio of contiguous Major thirds thrown into the mix. It has properties which are considered superior to the sound offered by true ET by the technicians who tune it: pure 4ths & 5ths, equal beating tempered 4ths & 5ths, evenly proportionate beat synchrony, etc.

Both versions of the EBVT follow the rules and reasons for tuning a Well Temperament. While it is true that those in the late 19th Century (the "Victorian" era) thought in terms of having all 24 Major and minor keys equally useful and may have called what they did, ET, the fact is that because of the sequence they used to tune the notes of the scale and the trial chords they played, they still tuned in the Well Tempered style.

[...]

Hello Jake, Mark, N.a.M., Kees, Patrick, Bojan Babic and All.

I'd really like to elaborate more in depth, maybe once for all, what we were talking about last night? What do you understand by reading what Bill posted last June 15, 2009?

[...]

This is what I get, Alfredo:

1) attempt at ET + randomness = quasi-ET. This is normally labeled ET by the tuners trying to achieve it, regardless of the level of success.

2) attempt at EBVT + randomness might be very similar to a quasi-ET, yes wink. But as long as ET tuners don't hesitate to label their work as ET, EBVT tuners shouldn't really be scrutinized in their efforts tuning EBVT.

Again, just my thoughts. And - as always - they're open for discussion wink

BTW, i like your FCDT theory. But that would mean that we'd have to leave the label 'ET' reserved for the angels and their trinity master tuner, and that all us earthly tuners would have to label our work FCDT.

Last edited by pppat; 05/18/10 05:07 PM.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pppat
Jeff, Dan - please respect this thread, and its original poster Alfredo.

Bill's post was directly related to Alfredos thoughts on ET/quasi-ET/Victorian Wells. Shortly after that Alfredo posted this:

Might be a good idea for you to re-read Bremmer's posting. I am quite sure, if read correctly, one would find much more content in there than what you have claimed.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, I've done that. I don't know, Dan, I really don't. But I'd be careful to state that someone reading a post 'correctly' probably would find much more content than I did. It sounds would-be wise, and might turn out to be a very biased assumption.

Patrick Wingren, RPT
Wingren Pianistik

- - - -
A
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Hello.

Patrick, you write:

...“Which range, Alfredo? I might have troubles at the tenor/bass break, and the high octaves bring challenges into the game, but I DO leave C3-C5 with progressive M3's and M6's when I tune ET. At least 9 times out of 10 (the 10th one for the benefit of a doubt)”...

That is good, Patrick, though C3-C5 is two out of how many octaves? I think I was then asking if we were fearing only a theoretical forecast, referring to an impracticable ET theory. Then, “enhancement” for cadences and “energy” for harmonic progressions may be a cliché.

...“When I tune EBVT (in its original form, or in EBVT III - the EBVT II is considered obsolete by Bill, and this has been repeatedly stated in this forum) I get 3rds and 6ths that in no way progress, because they shouldn't.”...

I liked them to be progressive and it made sense, it was an ordered beat-pressure that could give unique meaning to each chromatic interval. It could enable me to relate proportional beats to euphonicity, and to enjoy beats rhythm. For many years 3rds, 6ths, octaves, 10ths, 12ths, 15ths, 17ths have been a cross to bear. At one stage I tried inverting the 5ths beat rate progression so to be able to stretch my first octave. That was one key.

...“Ascending 3rds or 6ths played on a piano tuned in any EBVT leaves a painstakingly clear result: The beat rates far from progress, on the contrary they are all over the place. Deliberately, not by accident.”...

As long as you like it, that is fair enough. Even if it was to make a virtue of necessity, it could still make sense.

You say:...“but stepping out of theory for a while, how many tuners do you think tune an ET that follows the 12th root of two, and then go for pure octaves? I personally haven't heard any such tunings in real life. Everybody stretches octaves to some extent, including the temperament octave (consciously or not). So you might refer to this theoretically to strengthen your case, but it doesn't resemble real life.”...

I was replying to you saying “...ET can be tuned with wider and narrower temperament octaves, and with different stretches, but there is one thing that remains the same: ascending chromatic M3's and M6's have a progressive beat rate. They do not have that at all in EBVT III. how could the EBVT III ever develop into being a modern ET, when it goes against the very nature of ET itself?”...”...

You confirm that your lament can not be referred to 12th root of two, and that is not so frequent that you find, nor tune yourself progressive 3rds and 6ths all along. Then your lament sounds to me like a cliché.

We all know, we have never tuned 12th root of two, maybe it's time we referred to Modern ET models then, we may share a practicable theory and update our ET standard references. We may finally know for sure what we are talking about.

...”Let me then just remind you, Alfredo, that any tuning worth *literally* listening to, is a mix of temperament theory and tuning practice.”...

I shall rephrase what I meant to say then: if, at the same time, we go in and out theoretical and practical issues, it gets more difficult to fix our points. So, it was referred to our discussion's modality.

Conceptually, I can share what you say, although some tuners I've met could do quite well with no theory at all.

Regards, a.c.

CHAS Tuning MP3 - Amatorial recording on a Steinway S (5’ 1”, 155 cm)
http://www.box.net/shared/od0d7506cv

CHAS THEORY - RESEARCH REPORT BY G.R.I.M. (Department of Mathematics, University of Palermo, Italy):
http://math.unipa.it/~grim/Quaderno19_Capurso_09_engl.pdf

Last edited by alfredo capurso; 05/19/10 05:03 AM.

alfredo
A
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Patrick, you say:

...”1) attempt at ET + randomness = quasi-ET. This is normally labeled ET by the tuners trying to achieve it, regardless of the level of success.”...

OK. Though I would still precise which modern ET, since now we could.

...”2) attempt at EBVT + randomness might be very similar to a quasi-ET, yes.”...

Good you could acknowledge this. One more little step and, trusting the author, we can add:

3) attempt at EBVT ± randomness is very similar to a modern quasi-ET.

… “But as long as ET tuners don't hesitate to label their work as ET, EBVT tuners shouldn't really be scrutinized in their efforts tuning EBVT.”...

I'm not sure I can get what you mean. Would you rephrase it for me?

… “BTW, i like your FCDT theory. But that would mean that we'd have to leave the label 'ET' reserved for the angels and their trinity master tuner, and that all us earthly tuners would have to label our work FCDT.”...

I do not think so, that sounds a bit tortuous. Today many of us, being on earth, tune (modern) ET. Yet, we'll always be free to do what ever we like on the basis of our sincere intention. More than the label, it is what we do in concrete.

If we go for ET (Chas) we can share a reliable reference for voices and ensemble/orchestra instruments too. With FCDT's (Few Cents Deviated Temperament) we cannot.

BTW, how do you like Kees's first FCDT? Or is it EBVT IV? wink

Regards, a.c.

alfredo
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B

If we go for ET (Chas) we can share a reliable reference for voices and ensemble/orchestra instruments too. With FCDT's (Few Cents Deviated Temperament) we cannot.

Regards, a.c.

Most piano technicians and music educators believe this; it sounds logical but professional string players and vocalists will tell you it is not true. There is a constant struggle with a piano tuned in ET whereas a piano tuned in a WT or mild meantone offers far more harmonious and agreeable intonation.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

[...] string players and vocalists [...]. There is a constant struggle with a piano tuned in ET whereas a piano tuned in a WT or mild meantone offers far more harmonious and agreeable intonation.

True, but if you are trained from early age on to play with ET there is a learning curve.

I've had the following complaints when accompanying in MT or a strong WT:

"Now I have to change my positions (slide trombone)". "Now I have to change my frets (gamba)". (Why do you think those frets are movable?) "My open strings are out of tune (violin)." "I have to change my finger positions (after getting the violinist to tune the open strings to the keyboard)."

The recordings of the Bach cantatas by Harnoncourt from the '60-ies and 70-ies use ET. They tried WT but the instrumentalists couldn't (or refused to) do it. Standards for early music are much higher now and learning to play in WT and MT is now a must among early music players.

Generally I find ET raised musicians can adapt quickly to WT if they are willing to try, but often they are obstinate and refuse to even consider it, make me feel like I've just made an indecent proposal, etc.

Kees

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

...“When I tune EBVT (in its original form, or in EBVT III - the EBVT II is considered obsolete by Bill, and this has been repeatedly stated in this forum) I get 3rds and 6ths that in no way progress, because they shouldn't.”...

I liked them to be progressive and it made sense, it was an ordered beat-pressure that could give unique meaning to each chromatic interval.

Alfredo, could you expand on what you're listening for when you tune chromatic intervals? Is there a given set of partials that you listen to?

Thanks.

Last edited by Jake Jackson; 05/19/10 05:16 PM.
Page 25 of 37 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 36 37

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission