2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fe2008 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi there.
What are the guidelines for placement of an upright piano, and how far it should be from a wall?

Roland FP7F
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
If it's placed facing a wall, try 4"-6". If it's placed facing the room, positioning is a more matter of aesthetics.

S
S
Originally Posted by fe2008
Hi there.
What are the guidelines for placement of an upright piano, and how far it should be from a wall?

I was in a piano store last night - and when you get right down to it, what better way to spend a Friday night. Anyway, I played two identical upright piano models, one was placed in the middle of the room, and the other was diagonally placed in a corner. It was AMAZING how much louder the one in the corner was. The difference in volume was like the one in the center of the room had the soft pedal on and the corner one didn't. That is how noticeable the volume difference was.

So I would say the best place for an upright, and I'm sure this would apply to a grand, is in a corner.

Essex by Steinway Model EUP123E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I remember doing some research on this a couple years ago and what I found is that the optimal distance is about 9". I don't remember where I found that, but I do remember that the conclusion was based on careful research. Larry

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think 9" from a wall would look very strange and aesthetically unappealing. Even 6" would look bizarre to me.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/04/09 10:32 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I wonder...

Is an upright partly designed for the sound to be bouncing off the wall or is that just part of the animal because they would look funny in the middle of the room?

Older large uprights often had sound coming from a raised forward full music rack or holes in the frontpiece top and/or bottom.

For sure that was for the sound to project forward, but they don't seem to feature that anymore.

Anyone to the drawing board? (What is old is new again!!!)

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If the upright is upright then from a dry wall 50 mm is acceptable, and a damp wall 50 metres.

If the upright is placed flat on the floor then the same guidelines apply.

When placed with right or left end onto wall, some deviations from the above dimensions are permitted, subject to the tolerances of musical scale.

Last edited by Mocheol; 05/04/09 11:02 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The thickness of a fist is the usual recommendation.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
A
A
How would placement interact with room size? Suppose it is a very small room aprox. 11' x 9' ? Does a larger distance from the wall give a bigger sound? How does it compare to a shorter distance and opening the top lid?
Thanks,
Ary

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
fe2008,
I have my spinet 6" from the wall on one side and 7" one the other. I record with a Zoom H2 and found this is the best location for recording the sound. Yes, it does not look appealing, but the sound doesn't come out like a spinet either! The reason for the different measurements is the sound projects louder on the side with more clearance. There was a similar discussions back around 6 months ago on this very topic.
Woody

[Linked Image]
M
M
it actually does not matter. with great technology now for example the dammp chaser (dehumidifier), the distance will not affect both the condition and the quality of the piano.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
What about underneath the piano? Is it better tio place the piano on a carpet, or directly sit it on the floor?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by fe2008
Hi there.

No exact guidelines. It's really trial and error. It relates to what lilylady described as the sound "bouncing off the wall" behind (and every other adjacent surface of the area). The smaller the space and the harder and denser its surfaces, the more difficult it is to manage. Glass is a killer. I had a vertical piano positioned next to an interior door with eight glass panels. When the door was open and facing the piano, the sound was awful. It didn't matter whether the piano was 4" or 8" from the wall behind it.

What you really need to do is disperse the flow of the sound. I had more luck with some self-stick acoustic foam squares that I found cheap on eBay. I spaced some on the wall behind the piano and three on the hard floor directly under it.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Please add this to the mix: I have a new K3 upright coming and it will go in a corner that has exposed brick walls. There are no other options. What may I expect and what would be the cure, if needed?

I used to have my upright right up against a wall... maybe 5-6 cm to spare.

Then I decided to pull it out further, and eventually I find having it not parallel with the wall, in fact slightly diagonally, works best.

So this is what I think: Have it 4-5 cm away from the wall at the treble side, and about 20-30 cm away at the bass. But I believe it'll differ from piano to piano.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng/

Proud owner of a Schimmel K 189T and a Challen 130.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retread
Please add this to the mix: I have a new K3 upright coming and it will go in a corner that has exposed brick walls. There are no other options. What may I expect and what would be the cure, if needed?

It may not be such a bad option. Placing a grand on a ceramic tile floor does not usually flatter the sound; but brick, while being dense, is somewhat porous, absorbs readily, and offers an uneven surface in that the individual bricks protrude more than the surrounding mortar. I won't venture beyond that because I'm certainly no expert, but I'm fairly certain that if your object is to tame the beast and avoid unpleasant booming, you could do much worse than exposed brick.

If you're talking about an exterior wall that might transfer moisture from the outside environment, there are other concerns relating to piano maintenance.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Thank you, Turandot. Very encouraging. The K3 arrived this morning and, sitting in the exposed brick corner about 2" from either(interior) wall, it sounds glorious -- warm and round but clear. It is the perfect size piano for this room: not much carpet, glass sliders and rather light drapes. Dining room aka music room.

I have had three pianos in as many years! You can call me fussy, eccentric or just plain wacko, but I believe I now have the perfect instrument for me -- at last! All my old rep is blooming and I am newly inspired. Wow!

Don't forget the pictures! smile

Will do -- as soon as I can get my canny grandson to come over and do it for me. Greetings from one cat lover to another (am I right, 8BallFan?).

Retread

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission